BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 21 Savage - American Dream, 3rd Album | 12/1/24
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Y'all Starlight
post 9th January 2024, 09:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Pronouns: he/him
User: 153,406

21 Savage has announced that his first solo album in over five years will be released on Friday! The album will soundtrack 21 Savage's upcoming biopic concerning when he was arrested in 2019 on the basis of him being an illegal immigrant in the U.S.A. (as he had been born in London). The film also stars Donald Glover (better know here as Childish Gambino) and Caleb McLaughlin.

I quite enjoyed his last solo record, his parts on 'Her Loss' and 'Savage Mode II' so I'm excited to hear what we get!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th January 2024, 10:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Ooh I saw that trailer dropping but didn't realise it was tying into an album dropping so soon, interesting that he's releasing it without any singles - looking forward to this, I really enjoyed 'SAVAGE MODE II'.

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 15th January 2024, 09:07 AM
Post #3
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

From my first listen, this is great! The immediate highlights for me are 'all of me', 'redrum', 'n.h.i.e.', 'née-nah', 'just like me' & 'dark days'. Quite cool that 21 has done the opposite of the growing trend that is capitalising all your song titles laugh.gif

'redrum' looks like it'll become the biggest hit from the album currently...

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 15th January 2024, 07:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I've listened to this 3 times now and think it's pretty solid. With it being tied into the movie about his childhood, I was expecting it to be a bit deeper lyrically but unfortunately, it's just like any other of his projects. There hasn't been much growth but once I got over that, I'm starting to really dig it.

One negative though is how bad the rap features are. Young Thug, Doja Cat, Lil Durk and Travis Scott all provide awful verses. but all the non-rap guests (Summer Walker, Burna Boy, Brent Faiyaz, Mariah the Scientist and Mikky Ekko) do really well. It's a shame the Doja and Travis collabs look like they'll chart because I think that they're two of the worst. Although I see that they're already been named as highlights above laugh.gif

My initial favourites are 'sneaky, 'prove it' and 'red sky'.

+Quote this post
DJ Cheeky Magpie
post 16th January 2024, 08:20 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Pineapple 🍍
User: 33,062

21 savage American dream Anyone after cd link blow

https://shopuk.21savage.com/products/americ...usive-cd-signed

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 17th January 2024, 02:05 PM
Post #6
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

My signed cd arrived today! Quite an impressive signature for such a well-known artist!

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 17th January 2024, 03:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
‘psychedelic pop-infused’? Pull the other one!
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Y @ Jan 15 2024, 09:07 AM) *
From my first listen, this is great! The immediate highlights for me are 'all of me', 'redrum', 'n.h.i.e.', 'née-nah', 'just like me' & 'dark days'. Quite cool that 21 has done the opposite of the growing trend that is capitalising all your song titles laugh.gif

'redrum' looks like it'll become the biggest hit from the album currently...

I'd say that having all song titles in lower case has been just as popular in recent years if not more so! Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo, girl in red & Machine Gun Kelly come to mind.

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 17th January 2024, 04:44 PM
Post #8
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Jan 17 2024, 03:38 PM) *
I'd say that having all song titles in lower case has been just as popular in recent years if not more so! Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo, girl in red & Machine Gun Kelly come to mind.

Indeed! Both having song titles in capital letters and in lower case has grown quite a lot this decade. I suppose titles that are only composed of capital letters are a bit more prevelant within the hip-hop genre (Tyler, The Creator, Lil Nas X, Travis Scott & THE KID LAROI's most recent albums all having them on every song). It'll be quite interesting to see how long this trend continues!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 17th January 2024, 04:54 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Doja's adlib being quite simply her singing "adlib"... HER MIND cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th January 2024, 05:43 PM
Post #10
Group icon

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Jan 17 2024, 04:54 PM) *
Doja's adlib being quite simply her singing "adlib"... HER MIND cheeseblock.png

Oh she'd better watch for Tierra Whack suing then (see the song 'CLONES', which is a banger btw) teresa.gif

In all seriousness, clearly a fairly obvious choice for a quirky ironic ad lib haha.

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 27th January 2024, 05:36 PM
Post #11
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

It may have been prevented from being a UK #1 album by the critically acclaimed D Block Europe but 'American Dream' did become a Billboard 200 #1 album on 21's highest ever 1st week sales (only by a couple of thousand units tho). It looks like it'll remain at the top this week!

The album gets better with every listen, with an exception made for 'pop ur shit' laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 29th January 2024, 11:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon

I think this album is solid but a step down from the consistent quality of 'SAVAGE MODE II' and gets particularly weak in the last third when he strays too far from his bread and butter of ignorant trap bangers (the only one of the last 5 songs I'm saving is 'red sky' and even that is in spite of it having a chorus that feels awkwardly pasted from a different song). Not to say that he can't make good songs outside of that wheelhouse - I think 'letter to my brudda' is a really good more introspective song on here ('dark days' is ok too), and I also liked the more melodic 'see the real' although I think that may be a bit of a hot take - but they're definitely still where he excels, case in point 'redrum' which is definitely the best song on here so the right choice to push as a single. 'sneaky', 'all of me', 'dangerous' and 'née-nah' (this one already grew on me on second listen after first hearing it for my top 100s poll earlier in the day) all slap as well. I think Travis and Durk both delivered good features but I do agree about Doja's being pretty weak.

(I think we can all agree on pretending 'pop ur shit' isn't on there as well x)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 7th May 2024, 08:58 PM