BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The most unpredictable UK # 1 in 2000s
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Last Dreamer
post 23rd March 2024, 08:11 AM
Post #1
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

My choice is Busted - Crashed The Wedding, because was sure in # 1 for Madonna and Britney duet.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 23rd March 2024, 08:29 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

McFly - Baby's Coming Back / Transylvania. I feel like this just came out of nowhere to swoop in, especially considering the tumble it then had down to #20 the next week. Had Rihanna released a week earlier Umbrella would've had it easily.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 23rd March 2024, 09:14 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Yeah McFly would definitely class as that for sure

Would 'Welcome To The Black Parade' count as I wasn't following the mids closely that week as so I wouldn't have predicted that would get to #1. Possibly was expecting a top 10 perhaps but certainly not a #1 and it surprised me and looking back now it sticks out amongst those #1's from 06 but in a very good way of course.

'No Tomorrow' by Orson the same year would be one as well. Debuted at 5 and became the lowest selling #1 for ages I recall plus I didn't expect it to go to #1 despite it climbing and not sure it was predicted to reach the top either!

+Quote this post
Scene
post 23rd March 2024, 09:48 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

QUOTE(Roba. @ Mar 23 2024, 10:14 AM) *
Yeah McFly would definitely class as that for sure

Would 'Welcome To The Black Parade' count as I wasn't following the mids closely that week as so I wouldn't have predicted that would get to #1. Possibly was expecting a top 10 perhaps but certainly not a #1 and it surprised me and looking back now it sticks out amongst those #1's from 06 but in a very good way of course.

Exactly the same as me re: MCR. Also Meet Me Halfway as all the prediction polls on here said Happy would be an easy #1.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 23rd March 2024, 09:51 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Whole Again by Atomic Kitten!

A week before release I think I’d have predicted it to debut at No.15 perhaps? I’m sure Woolies had it around the same area in their chart, which was usually a level of pre-orders and advance hype something had received. There was no real evidence it would be much bigger than the preceding few singles they had released, and I was gobsmacked when I saw those initial midweeks. I have no idea where those first week buyers came from, the song was hardly a major staple on TV or radio before release.

Clearly it took off from there and deserved its success but I will never get how that first week debut happened.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 23rd March 2024, 09:56 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Rob aah

QUOTE(Scene @ Mar 23 2024, 09:48 AM) *
Exactly the same as me re: MCR. Also Meet Me Halfway as all the prediction polls on here said Happy would be an easy #1.

Oh yeah this is another good shout! Was good for them to nab a 3rd straight #1 though.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 23rd March 2024, 10:21 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Mar 23 2024, 10:51 AM) *
Whole Again by Atomic Kitten!

A week before release I think I’d have predicted it to debut at No.15 perhaps? I’m sure Woolies had it around the same area in their chart, which was usually a level of pre-orders and advance hype something had received. There was no real evidence it would be much bigger than the preceding few singles they had released, and I was gobsmacked when I saw those initial midweeks. I have no idea where those first week buyers came from, the song was hardly a major staple on TV or radio before release.

Clearly it took off from there and deserved its success but I will never get how that first week debut happened.

I never knew this - thanks for sharing! Do you remember it’s midweek figure out of curiosity? It must have been fun being a Kitten fan back then.

QUOTE(Roba. @ Mar 23 2024, 10:56 AM) *
Oh yeah this is another good shout! Was good for them to nab a 3rd straight #1 though.

To think them and Gaga both scored three #1s that year. What a time to be alive. wub.gif (still hate IGF though kink.gif)

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 23rd March 2024, 12:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

I disagree with that McFly example. It was an obvious no.1. In fact, people on here predicted it would do exactly what it did.

For me, these count:

Gabrielle-Rise-not too surprising but I think other new entries were favoured to get there such as REM and Andreas Johnson.
Oxide & Neutrino-Bound 4 Da Reload-I just didn’t really know this until it got there.
Destiny’s Child-Independent Women-I couldn’t see past Craig David vs Roman Keating that week.
Atomic Kitten-Whole Again-as Gooddelta says, there were on the way out with U2 seemingly the obvious no.1. It had a lot of airplay but I thought it’d be top 5 at best.
P!nk-Just Like A Pill-a very predictable year for no.1s and I loved this track but I’m pretty sure everyone thought it’d be Eminem or Busted.
Daniel Bedingfield-Never Gonna Leave Your Side-just didn’t think it would get there.
Ozzy & Kelly Osbourne-Changes-again, something that passed me by until release week.
Michael Andrews Feat Gary Jules-Mad World-thought it’d be the Darkness.
Ja Rule Feat R Kelly & Ashanti-Wonderful-sales were very low but I thought Daniel Bedingfield would have a triumphant return and I wasn’t too familiar with this.
Stereophonics-Dakota-despite low sales and being desperate for a non Elvis no.1, it just didn’t occur to me that they’d have a chance.
Arctic Monkeys-I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor-hadn’t heard of them until the release, thought McFly had it in the bag.
My Chemical Romance-Welcome To The Black Parade-another that seemed to come out of nowhere.
Robyn-With Every Heartbeat-not so much that it got to no.1 but I hadn’t heard it until the midweeks came in the week before and it was random to see her come back at the time!
Eva Cassidy & Katie Melua-What A Wonderful World-honestly still can’t quite believe this happened.
Black Eyed Peas-Meet Me Halfway-I think we all assumed Leona would get it.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 23rd March 2024, 01:39 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(T Boy @ Mar 23 2024, 12:09 PM) *
I disagree with that McFly example. It was an obvious no.1. In fact, people on here predicted it would do exactly what it did.

You're right! It just feels unpredictable now in retrospect or should that say ridiculous instead kink.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 23rd March 2024, 01:59 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name, outside of the fact that with weeks to go no one could've called it, but even at the timem though the campaign was definitely gaining traction and had a big lead at first, it looked like it was dwindling as the week went on and I'd say most going into Sunday, weren't quite expecting that result.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 23rd March 2024, 02:42 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

I was quite shocked with Kelly Clarkaon scoring a number one with My Life Would Suck Without You. Especially as #5 was her highest peak in the UK until that point.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 24th March 2024, 10:44 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

I was genuinely surprised when The Darkness didn’t get Christmas Number 1.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 24th March 2024, 03:01 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Rob aah

I think Darkness were #1 in the mids until the last day or so but can't remember as wasn't even following the charts at that time!

+Quote this post
Scene
post 24th March 2024, 03:09 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

For those old enough back in the day to remember, were Girls Aloud the favourites to get #1 with SOTU before the first midweek flashes? Even though they clearly had the better song, I expect back then for the boyband to be favourites regardless.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 24th March 2024, 04:25 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

That might be one for Jay to answer?

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 24th March 2024, 04:42 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The OCC commented that One True Voice were the initial favourites

History, of course, is written by the winners, but before the campaigns kicked off, it was widely believed the guys would be the victors. Why? Well, in the pop climate of 2002, boybands were big business. Plus, it was assumed a Saturday night TV audience would be more likely to support – and swoon over – the traditional style of One True Voice's cover of the Bee Gees' Sacred Trust.

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 24th March 2024, 05:19 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Meet Me Halfway beating Happy deep into its chart career (albeit X Factor boosted itself) was quite the moment.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 24th March 2024, 05:24 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
User: 12

Re: Whole Again - wasn’t it boosted initially by Westlife fans giving support as they were about to be dropped?

99% sure I read something about that at the time.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th March 2024, 05:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Nizlopi - JCB Song kinda came out nowhere after flopping upon initial release. Can't remember how or why it eventually took off to the extent that it did.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 24th March 2024, 05:54 PM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 24th March 2024, 06:13 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(Scene @ Mar 24 2024, 03:09 PM) *
For those old enough back in the day to remember, were Girls Aloud the favourites to get #1 with SOTU before the first midweek flashes? Even though they clearly had the better song, I expect back then for the boyband to be favourites regardless.

One True Voice were sort of assumed to win the battle before the mids. The year had been quite boy band/young male singer heavy with Westlife, Blue, Will and Gareth, etc. and it was a wintery cover ballad-it probably would have worked for Westlife.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 13th May 2024, 10:03 PM