BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Album of The Year: 2009, Richard's Countdown (Complete)
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 5,212

And so it begins! Simply speaking, I am going to countdown my favorite albums of the past year. Originally, I planned on compiling a list of 50 albums but after realising just how few ‘great’ albums have been released over the last twelve months, the list dwindled to 30. All feedback and opinions are welcome along the way. To begin, here’s a track from my favorite album from 2008:

Bloc Party - Talons (taken from 'Intimacy')

01: Paramore - Brand New Eyes
02: Muse - The Resistance
03: Frank Turner - Poetry of The Deed
04: Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
05: Morrissey - Years of Refusal
06: Maximo Park - Quicken The Heart
07: Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
08: White Lies - To Lose My Life
09: Lady GaGa - The Fame: Monster
10: Metric - Fantasies

11: Jay-Z - Blueprint III
12: Editors - In This Light & On This Evening
13: Brand New - Daisy
14: Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
15: Kasabian - West Rider Pauper Lunatic Asylum
16: Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
17: Cheryl Cole - 3 Words
18: Robbie Williams - Reality Killed The Video Star
19: Patrick Wolf - The Bachelor
20: Idlewild - Post Electric Blues

21: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It’s Blitz
22: David Gray - Draw The Line
23: Doves - Kingdom of Rust
24: Deadmau5 - For Lack of A Better Name
25: Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
26: Nine Black Alps - Locked Out From The Inside
27: Little Boots - Hands
28: Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D
29: Marmaduke Duke - Duke Pandemonium
30: Placebo - Battle For The Sun

This post has been edited by Rich*: 8th December 2009, 09:33 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 23rd November 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,426

Can't wait. Love 'Talons', great album.

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

I was going to put 'Trojan Horse', naturally, but there were just a load of guitar covers on the first page of YT which made me lose interest sad.gif

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 23rd November 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Rich* @ Nov 23 2009, 04:44 PM) *
I was going to put 'Trojan Horse', naturally, but there were just a load of guitar covers on the first page of YT which made me lose interest sad.gif

'Talons' is better tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 23rd November 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #5
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

I agree that 'Talons' is better than 'Trojan Horse'. wub.gif

Brilliant album! My favourite from 2008 too.

This post has been edited by Cremey: 23rd November 2009, 04:53 PM

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

'Talons' is my second favorite. All I have to say to both of you is 'Trojan Horse' guitar riff wub.gif

Pleased to hear it was your favorite album of 2008 as well Cremey smile.gif

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

The countdown begins with Placebo’s sixth long player ‘Battle For The Sun’. Along with the title track, standouts include the singles; ‘Ashtray Heart’, ‘The Bitter End’, ‘For What It’s Worth’ and ‘Bright Lights’. On the whole, a decent album but still lacking the old spark Placebo once had. Biffy Clyro’s Simon Neil and Suciperro’s JP Reid’s side-project ‘Marmaduke Duke’ second album is a place higher at No.29. Single ‘Silhouettes’ is the stand out for me, with little coming close. A good album nonetheless and one that tops Biffy’s ‘Only Revolutions’ from earlier this month. The E.N.D, Black Eyed Peas fifth studio album is at No.28. As much as I tried to avoid ‘Boom Boom Pow’, in the end it became somewhat of a summer anthem, as did follow up ‘I Gotta Feeling’. ‘Meet Me Halfway’ simply secured their dominance of 2009. Little Boots debut ‘Hands’ is at No.27. ‘Hands’ is a very solid debut, far superior to that of Florence + The Machine and La Roux’s offerings and works extremely well live (she gave a superb performance at Leeds festival). Nine Black Alps third offering is at No.26. ‘Locked Out From The Inside’, whilst a great collection of songs, is nothing I haven’t heard before. Sadly, I can’t see them topping 2005’s ‘Everything Is’.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 23rd November 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Rich* @ Nov 23 2009, 05:25 PM) *

The countdown begins with Placebo’s sixth long player ‘Battle For The Sun’. Along with the title track, standouts include the singles; ‘Ashtray Heart’, ‘The Bitter End’, ‘For What It’s Worth’ and ‘Bright Lights’. On the whole, a decent album but still lacking the old spark Placebo once had. Biffy Clyro’s Simon Neil and Suciperro’s JP Reid’s side-project ‘Marmaduke Duke’ second album is a place higher at No.29. Single ‘Silhouettes’ is the stand out for me, with little coming close. A good album nonetheless and one that tops Biffy’s ‘Only Revolutions’ from earlier this month. The E.N.D, Black Eyed Peas fifth studio album is at No.28. As much as I tried to avoid ‘Boom Boom Pow’, in the end it became somewhat of a summer anthem, as did follow up ‘I Gotta Feeling’. ‘Meet Me Halfway’ simply secured their dominance of 2009. Little Boots debut ‘Hands’ is at No.27. ‘Hands’ is a very solid debut, far superior to that of Florence + The Machine and La Roux’s offerings and works extremely well live (she gave a superb performance at Leeds festival). Nine Black Alps third offering is at No.26. ‘Locked Out From The Inside’, whilst a great collection of songs, is nothing I haven’t heard before. Sadly, I can’t see them topping 2005’s ‘Everything Is’.

I like Little Boots, Marmaduke was alright and enjoyed B.E.P singles but they haven't made me want to get the album.

Disagree about Little Boots being FAR superior to Florence, I though they were pretty close in quality but I do prefer the Boots album. The less said about La Roux's album the better, awful record.

This post has been edited by Ashford.: 23rd November 2009, 05:30 PM

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 23rd November 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

QUOTE(Rich* @ Nov 23 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Battle For The Sun is amazing.

Havent heard that Nine Black Alps album yet. Love/Hate was pretty poor tbh. I love Everything Is though.

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 23 2009, 05:30 PM) *
I like Little Boots, Marmaduke was alright and enjoyed B.E.P singles but they haven't made me want to get the album.

Disagree about Little Boots being FAR superior to Florence, I though they were pretty close in quality but I do prefer the Boots album. The less said about La Roux's album the better, awful record.

Thanks for commenting biggrin.gif

I think I may have made a slip-up. You're right, 'Hands' isn't FAR superior to 'Lungs' but I do prefer it smile.gif

La Roux's album had so much promise and FAILED sad.gif

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Mr Self Destruct @ Nov 23 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Battle For The Sun is amazing.

Havent heard that Nine Black Alps album yet. Love/Hate was pretty poor tbh. I love Everything Is though.

Their performance at Leeds festival was very good indeed. I've always liked them and loved Brian Molko as a frontman biggrin.gif

'Everything Is' is superb wub.gif So much so, going to listen to it now

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

22: David Gray - Draw The Line
23: Doves - Kingdom of Rust
24: Deadmau5 - For Lack of A Better Name

The top 25 begins with supergroup Them Crooked Vultures. Released officially just last week, the band consist of Josh Homme (Queens of The Stone Age), Dave Ghrol (Foo Fighters) and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin). ‘Mind Eraser, No Chaser’, single ‘New Fang’ and ‘Reptiles’ are among highlights but at over in hour in length the album does suffer a little. Musically it’s strong but sadly, towards the end it all seems to blend into one. ‘For Lack of A Better Name’ by Deadmau5 is a place higher at No.24. A great collection of songs, this is one of the year’s best albums. The opening half of is the album is the high point with ‘Ghosts N’ Stuff’ the clear standout. ‘Kingdom of Rust’, the first Doves album in four years is at No.23. Consistent throughout, highlights include the title track, ‘Winter Hill’, ’10:03’ and ‘Spellbound’. David Gray’s 8th studio album is at No.22. Both singles; ‘Fugitive’ and ‘Full Steam’ (featuring Annie Lennox) are highlights. Just missing out on a place inside the top 20 is ‘It’s Blitz’, the much anticipated fourth album from Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Fronted by Karen O, standouts include ‘Heads Will Roll’, (which featured heavily as a soundtrack to my summer), lead single ‘Zero’, ‘Skeletons’ and ‘Runaway’. A surefire contender for my top 20 throughout the year, my listening tailed off after Leeds (despite their great performance) and subsequently it’s position on my countdown has suffered. Whether I come to regret this twelve months from now, remains to be seen ...

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

First post updated

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 23rd November 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Disappointed YYYs didn't make top 20, I definitely can't think of 20 better albums and their Leeds performance really was superb. I agree with the points you made on the TCV album, it drags and despite some good riffs and moments it is another average effort from Josh Homme.

I liked the lead single from the Doves album, but don't really want to listen.

This post has been edited by Ashford.: 23rd November 2009, 10:36 PM

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 23 2009, 10:36 PM) *

Disappointed YYYs didn't make top 20, I definitely can't think of 20 better albums and their Leeds performance really was superb. I agree with the points you made on the TCV album, it drags and despite some good riffs and moments it is another average effort from Josh Homme.

I liked the lead single from the Doves album, but don't really want to listen.

Like I say I probably will regret the YYY's decision as time goes on. Just got bored of them over the last couple of months sad.gif They were very good though

Glad you agree smile.gif It's not as good as everyone's making it out to be but its still good.

Have you heard 'Winter Hill' by Doves? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 23rd November 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Rich* @ Nov 23 2009, 10:39 PM) *
Like I say I probably will regret the YYY's decision as time goes on. Just got bored of them over the last couple of months sad.gif They were very good though

Glad you agree smile.gif It's not as good as everyone's making it out to be but its still good.

Have you heard 'Winter Hill' by Doves? ohmy.gif

No just 'Kingdom Of Rust'.

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Doves - Winter Hill

See what you think. Enjoy it for the video, if nothing else

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 23rd November 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

Album of the year easily for me, ive listened to it over 30 times already, and well be seeing where it comes on my top albums of the decade soon wink.gif basically it is just in general, amazing.

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 23rd November 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Mr Self Destruct @ Nov 23 2009, 10:47 PM) *
Album of the year easily for me, ive listened to it over 30 times already, and well be seeing where it comes on my top albums of the decade soon wink.gif basically it is just in general, amazing.

Enjoying your countdown, will comment smile.gif

Over 30 times already ohmy.gif That's over 30hrs of 'Them Crooked Vultures' listening. That's crazy!

I take it you like Queens, Foos and Led Zeppelin then? biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 23rd November 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

QUOTE(Rich* @ Nov 23 2009, 10:32 PM) *

I love this album, my favourite track has to be Hysteric, Heads Will Roll is a close second, this has to be one of my favourite albums of the year, along with Little Boots, Flo and Bat For Lashes.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 11th May 2024, 12:32 PM