BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mariah Carey - Singles Rate [RESULTS], FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 13!!!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 22nd July 2023, 11:04 AM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Mariah Carey - Singles Rate:
The Results

A big THANK YOU!! to the 21 Buzzjack voters who took part in this rate. 73 Songs in the running & many iconic smash hits throughout Mariah's 30+ years in the music industry, but which will come out on top.. stay tuned to find out.

Thoughts?, Predictions ? feel free to share.....

A reminder of what's to come...

Vision of Love
Love Takes Time
Someday
I Don't Wanna Cry
There's Got To Be A Way

Emotions
Can't Let Go
Make It Happen

I'll Be There (ft Trey Lorenz)

Dreamlover
Hero
Without You
Never Forget You
Anytime You Need A Friend

Endless Love (ft Luther Vandross)
All I Want For Christmas is You

Fantasy
One Sweet Day (ft Boyz II Men)
Open Arms
Always Be My Baby
Forever
Underneath The Stars

Honey
Butterfly
The Roof (Back In Time)
Breakdown (ft Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)
My All

Sweetheart (ft JD)
When You Believe (ft Whitney Houston)
I Still Believe

Heartbreaker (ft Jay Z)
Thank God I Found You (ft Joe & 98 Degrees)
Crybaby (ft Snoop Dogg)
Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
Against All Odds (ft Westlife)

Loverboy (ft Cameo)
Never Too Far
Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (ft Mystikal)

Through The Rain
Boy (I Need You) (ft Cam'Ron)
I Know What You Want (ft Busta Rhymes)
Bringin' On The Heartbreak

It's Like That
We Belong Together
Shake It Off
Get You Number (ft Jermaine Dupri)
Don't Forget About Us
Say Somethin' (ft Snoop Dogg)

Touch My Body
Bye, Bye
I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time
I Stay In Love

Obsessed
I Want To Know What Love Is
H.A.T.E.U.
Up Out My Face (ft Nicki Minaj)
Angels Cry (ft Ne-Yo)

Oh Santa
When Christmas Comes (ft John Legend)

Triumphant (Get Em) (ft Rick Ross & Meek Mill)
Almost Home

#Beautiful (ft Miguel)
The Art of Letting Go
You're Mine (Eternal)
You Don't Know What To Do (ft Wale)

Infinity
I Don't (ft YG)

With You
A No No

In The Mix
Save The Day (ft Lauryn Hill)
Oh Santa (ft Ariana Grande & Jennifer Hudson)
Big Energy (Remix) (ft Latto & DJ Khaled)

This post has been edited by Nina West: 29th August 2023, 10:07 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 22nd July 2023, 11:08 AM
Post #2
Group icon

Here's the playlist again to remind u of Mariah's fabulous discography

+Quote this post
elgornio
post 22nd July 2023, 11:30 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 108,065

Can’t wait for this smile.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 22nd July 2023, 11:59 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Always Be My Baby to slay!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd July 2023, 12:51 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Having a quick glance at what other people voted, I feel like a few of my favourites are going to suffer. Anticipating a ‘Fantasy’ win and I’m here for it!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 22nd July 2023, 03:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Path that I chose flashing camera's as I pose

73. Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (ft Mystikal) | 4.214 Highest Scores: 8: (gooddelta, JackTheeStallion), Lowest Scores: 0: (Josh)
72. I Don't (ft YG) | 4.65 Highest Scores: 7.5/7: (gooddelta, Qween), Lowest Scores: 3.5/3: (Nina West, Davidson, Jessie Where, JackTheeStallion, elgornio, vibe, Jay)
71. Triumphant (Get Em) (ft Rick Ross & Meek Mill) | 4.775 Highest Scores: 8: (JosephStyles), Lowest Scores: 1.5 (Nina West)

In last place & scraping the bottom of the barrel is Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica), released in September 2001 as the 3rd single from Mariah's 8th studio album Glitter and features a guest rap from Mystikal. It was written by Mariah DJ Clue, Duro, and Mystikal, while production was handled by the former three. The song is built around a sample of the 1980 song "Funkin' for Jamaica (N.Y.)" produced by Tom Browne and Toni Smith. Upon release the song received mixed reviews and failed to make any significant impact on the charts by by reaching top 40 peaks in the UK & Australia, as well as #123 peak on the Billboard Bubbling Under charts. This song just isn't very good, the production's way too heavy with Mariah pushed to the background and lacks any memorable hooks. There were much better songs on the album that could given single status, but given how things were for this era at the time, nothing else would have made much difference anyway.

At #72 is I Don't which features American rapper YG and was released as a standalone single in February 2017. The song was previewed during the final episode of her E! docuseries Mariah's World. Epic Records released the song five days after the airing. The song also samples Donell Jone's 'Where I Wanna Be'. Upon release it made a minor impact on the charts by peaking #89 on US Hot 100 & a #96 peak in Canada. Not one of Mariah's finest releases, it just kinda fades into the background despite some nice and effective R&B & Hip Hop beats, but the problem is you'll forget it as soon as it ends.

The last of this bunch at #71 is Triumphant (Get 'Em), featuring rappers Rick Ross and Meek Mill. Released in August 2012 the song was meant to feature on her then upcoming 14th studio album, but due to the songs poor critical and commercial performance, it was scrapped. The song was written when her then-husband, actor Nick Cannon, was hospitalized with acute kidney failure in 2012, and was also inspired by the death of global superstar singer, and her friend, Whitney Houston. You can see why this didn't work, a prime example of the producers trying to make a veteran diva hip by adding rappers that overwelms her song and the already stale and dated production doesn't help matters, as well as lacking any hooks . Nothing really works and the track just feels like a cluttered remix than an actual single.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 22nd July 2023, 03:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon

5 will drop in the next selection...

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 22nd July 2023, 03:58 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

No real losses so far

+Quote this post
Jade
post 22nd July 2023, 04:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Out of realistic possibilities I'm hoping for a 'Fantasy' and 'We Belong Together' top 2!

No big losses so far

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd July 2023, 04:10 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I hope the wondrous 'Can't Let Go' can do decently, I saw people dishing out some harsh scores for that one sad.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 23rd July 2023, 12:32 AM
Post #11
Group icon

No need to call my phone 'cause I changed my number today

70. Crybaby (ft Snoop Dogg) | 4.833 Highest Scores: 8: (Davidson), Lowest Scores: 1: (Lukuzz)
69. When Christmas Comes (ft John Legend) | 5.2 Highest Scores: 8: (gooddelta), Lowest Scores: 2: (Jessie Where)
68. In The Mix | 5.35 Highest Scores: 7.5/7: (gooddelta, Jade, dandy*, Qween), Lowest Scores: 3.5/3: (Nina West, Lukuzz, rafik4u)
67. Sweetheart (ft JD) | 5.35 Highest Scores: 8: (Davidson), Lowest Scores: 2: (Jessie Where)
66. H.A.T.E.U. | 5.452 Highest Scores: 8.5/8: (Jay, Qween, AaronTM), Lowest Scores: 2: (Jessie Where)

At #70 is Crybaby, released in April 2000 as a double a-side with 'Can't Take That Away' & features American rapper Snoop Dogg and is built around a sample of the 1988 song "Piece of My Love," originally performed by Guy. The song featured on Mariah's 7th studio album Rainbow & was the center of a very public controversy between Carey and her label Sony Music Entertainment, due to their lack of promotion of it as a commercial single. Eventually the song was able to reach a peak of #28 on the US Billboard charts, becoming her first to miss the top 20, its minimal airplay prevented it from climbing any higher. Wouldn't call this one of Mariah's finest singles & maybe if it was more successful then it may have done better on here, but the song isn't entirely terrible the blending of Mariah vocals & Snoop Dogg's verses are handled quite well & the laid back R&B is quite nice, but the song isn't really all that memorable.

At #69 is When Christmas Comes a song that originally featured on her second Christmas album Merry Christmas II You in 2010. The song was later re-recorded in November 2011 as a duet with John Legend and later released as a single. This is a nice track that features horns and piano accenting a simple R&B groove. A really nice festive number with great vocals by both artists, but doesn't quite reach the highs of her other X-Mas hits, still nice enough though.

At #68 is In The Mix, released in September 2019 as the official theme song of the American TV series Mixed-ish. The song's music was composed by Carey along with songwriter-producer Daniel Moore II, and the lyrics and melody were written by Carey. A simple R&B tune which shows that Mariah is still capable of creating & despite the nice sentiment behind it, the track doesn't really do much for me at all & kinda just fades into the background.

At #67 is Sweetheart, released in September 1998 & features American rapper JD (Jermaine Dupri). The song features on both Mariah's #1's compilation album & JD's 3rd studio album 1472. The song was originally recorded by American singer Rainy Davis in 1986 & Mariah was inspired to create a remake of "Sweetheart" as she liked listening to the song as a teenage girl. Upon release the song wasn't given a commercial release in the USA for unspecified reasons and instead distributed for free with the purchase of #1's, which caused it peak at a mere #125 on the Billboard charts. Mariah takes a more restrained vocal style on this R&B number and its quite refreshing & blends beautifully with JD's rapping style & if this was given a proper release then it probably would have been a big hit.

At #66 is H.A.T.E.U. which stands for "Having A Typical Emotional Upset", released in November 2009 as the 3rd single from Mariah's 12th studio album Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel & it was written and produced by Mariah, Tricky Stewart, and The-Dream. Upon release the song was sent to contemporary hit/Top 40, rhythmic contemporary, and urban contemporary radio stations in the USA. It only managed a #72 peak on the R&B charts. The track features a nice simple electric piano sequence that's loaded with soft vocals, along with a nice laidback groove. This is a nice track but doesn't scream single to me, instead it feels like a strong album track, but the remixes were awesome though.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 23rd July 2023, 05:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Ready for some more entries....

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 23rd July 2023, 06:39 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Come together to relieve the pain

65. Against All Odds (ft Westlife) | 5.547 Highest Scores: 10: (gooddelta), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Bjork, Jessie Where, dandy*)
64. Thank God I Found You (ft Joe & 98 Degrees) | 5.595 Highest Scores: 11: (gooddelta, Herbs), Lowest Scores: 2: (Jessie Where)
63. Almost Home | 5.75 Highest Scores: 10: (Simon), Lowest Scores: 1: (dandy*)
62. There's Got To Be A Way | 5.88 Highest Scores: 8: (Qween), Lowest Scores: 3: (rafik4u)
61. With You | 5.9 Highest Scores: 8.5: (Davidson), Lowest Scores: 4.5/4: (Simon, elgornio, Josh, Lukuzz, rafik4u)

At #65 is Against All Odds, originally sung by Phil Collins back in 1984 & Mariah covered originally as a solo track on her 7th studio album Rainbow where it got released as the 3rd international single in May 2000. The cover got re-released as a collaboration with Irish boyband Westlife in September 2000 & became Mariah's 2nd UK #1 & Westlife's 6 consecutive chart topper. In the USA although the song was promoted as part of the album over there, it was not released as a commercial or a radio single there. I actually prefer Mariah's solo version of this track as the duet version doesn't do much for me as their vocals feels very drafted in as backing vocals & they don't really compare to Mariah's emotional and powerful vocals on this cover. This is very much a product of its time.

Another Rainbow single drops at #64 with Thank God I Found You which features guest vocals from R&B singer Joe & American boyband 98 Degrees. Released in November 1999 as the album's 2nd single & written and produced by Carey alongside Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Upon release the song gained mixed reviews but nonetheless it Mariah's 15th chart topper in the USA and would remain her last until her 2005 comeback. Elsewhere it managed a #2 peak in Canada and attained moderate international charting with top 10 peaks in Spain, Poland & the UK as well as top 30 peaks in Australia, Belgium, France, Netherlands & Switzerland. This always felt like an attempt of recapturing the magic of her duet with Boyz II Men, but the combination of the guest vocals don't quite work here as it feels very basic and quite lazy.

At #63 is Almost Home, recorded by Mariah for the movie Oz The Great and Poweful soundtrack in 2013. Upon release the song gained favourable reviews with many stating that it was a return to form after the lukewarm reception to some of her previous releases, but the song failed to restore her former chart glory by only minor impacts on the charts in Japan, Spain & France. This is an okay little ballad that did kinda fly under the radar, but its nowhere near as good as her former ballads, however it was better than the awful movie it came from.

At #62 is an early Mariah number There's Got To Be A Way, released in May 1991 as the 5th and final single from her self-titled debut album for the UK market only instead of 'I Don't Wanna Cry' which got released everywhere else. Upon release the song failed to become a hit by only managing a #54 peak. It was one of four songs Carey wrote with Ric Wake during their first recording session together in February 1990, but this was the only track from those sessions to make the final tracklisting. Out of all of Mariah's early singles this probably sounds the most dated with its surface level socially message, its a nice little track though that probably should have stayed on the album as it pales when compared to the album's other singles.

At #61 is With You, released in October 2018 as the lead single from Mariah's 15th studio album Caution & was written by Mariah, Charles Hinshaw, Dijon McFarlane and Greg Lawary, with Carey and DJ Mustard also producing it. The song was preceded by the promotional single 'GTFO' & gained positive reviews by critics but became her first lead single to not enter the US Billboard charts, but did manage a #7 peak on the Adult Contemporary chart, giving Carey her 23rd top-ten single. This is a solid little R&B tune where Mariah's vocals casades across the smooth beats and piano lines that gives this romantic ballad a nice soothing warm sound. But personally I think that 'GTFO' should have been pushed as the lead single instead as that's a lot more interesting and memorable & this 'With You' feels a tad safe.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 9th August 2023, 03:43 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd July 2023, 08:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Pleasantly surprised that Loverboy hasn't been unveiled yet, but I guess it'll be out quite soon cry.gif

Almost Home is lovely, a bit of a shame to see it that low down the results! Although Mariah herself would probably have it even lower down lol, she said she didn't like it.

Thank God I Found You is probably my least favourite of her Hot 100 #1s. It's never really clicked for me...

H.A.T.E.U. is nice, not surprised to see it low though.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 23rd July 2023, 08:26 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Justice for 'Crybaby' and 'With You', the latter may not have spawned an iconic 'Ken Lee' meme but I actually prefer it to 'Without You' kink.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 24th July 2023, 10:16 AM
Post #16
Group icon

The next set of results will be in 4's & here's some clues as to what will drop - a 'Charmbracelet' single, 'Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel' & 'Me I Am Mariah'

Any guesses? (a few more comments then I'll post the next set of results)

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 24th July 2023, 10:37 AM
Post #17
Group icon

Here's a re-cap of the results 61-73:

61. With You - 5.9
62. There's Got To Be A Way - 5.88
63. Almost Home - 5.75
64. Thank God I Found You (ft Joe & 98 Degrees) - 5.595
65. Against All Odds (ft Westlife) - 5.547
66. H.A.T.E.U. - 5.472
67. Sweetheart (ft JD) - 5.35
68. In The Mix - 5.35
69. When Christmas Comes (ft John Legend) - 5.2
70. Crybaby (ft Snoop Dogg) - 4.833
71. Triumphant (Get 'EM) (ft Rick Ross & Meek Mill) - 4.775
72. I Don't (ft YG) - 4.65
73. Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (ft Mystikal) - 4.214

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 24th July 2023, 11:24 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'There's Got to Be a Way' is so cheesy laugh.gif

It's her 'Heal the World' moment!

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 24th July 2023, 11:49 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Justice for Thank God I Found You - has always been such a flawless song for me (gutted it’s so low)

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 24th July 2023, 01:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

Not many songs on that list that I listen to a lot tbf, Almost Home is a really nice songs though

+Quote this post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 7th May 2024, 06:23 AM