BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> No Ordinary Family
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
jark
post Oct 10 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
Superhero drama about an American family who each take on powers after their plane gets struck down in the Amazon rainforest. Only two episodes have aired so far but I'll definitely be sticking with it because I think it shows huge potential - it's mostly quite sunny, bright and very, very likeable but there's a dark undercurrent which creeps in during the second episode so I think it could develop in interesting directions. Trailer:

Also it stars the amazing, incredible, stunning and flawless Julie Benz (Rita in Dexter, Robin in Desperate Housewives) who only makes it even more watchable. Lovely show!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Oct 10 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
This feels like the next Heroes tongue.gif I read about this series in my sci-fi mag I think its got huge potential.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Oct 10 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
I've been wanting to watch this but just can't seem to find the time sad.gif

Might give it a go after Jark's good review. Or hope that a main UK channel picks it up soon, so that I can watch it on TV rather than online.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561
having watching the trailer. it looks cliched and $h!te, i hate things that do the superhero thing like a soap opera (unless its in the style of say the Spiderman comics, rather than this terrible family gets super powers drama). things like this and misfits make a mockery of superhero tv. i might check it out though on the basis of i find Julie Benz hot. but this is unoriginal, its almost seems like they are taking the p***, but are actually serious. oh and that lead male, the guy who plays The Thing in the Fantastic Four movies, is a pretty $h!t actor, but dont get me started, the kids in this appeared crap (and oh what do you know cliched characters we've all seen before 'but i dont want new abilities' 'im not different', oh shut the f*** up).

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 10 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
For christ's sake Chris, I don't know how you always manage to put such a DOWNER on everything. I knew from the second I created this topic that you would wade in with your effing and jeffing, ranting about how it's not good because it's not a SERIOUS superhero drama and it's too soapy and blah blah blah.

It's a light-hearted take on superheroes with a family drama twist. It's not intended to be dark and thrilling and everything that you and Grimly would instantly associate with a superhero drama, but there's no need to be dissing the actors without having even seen it, and as a matter of fact all four family members are very well cast, kids included.

Mikey, it isn't the next Heroes (thank God!) - the superpowers are not intertwined with some big mysterious mythology. It's first and foremost a family drama.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Everything goes numb
QUOTE(JARK @ Oct 10 2010, 10:25 PM) *
For christ's sake Chris, I don't know how you always manage to put such a DOWNER on everything. I knew from the second I created this topic that you would wade in with your effing and jeffing, ranting about how it's not good because it's not a SERIOUS superhero drama and it's too soapy and blah blah blah.

It's a light-hearted take on superheroes with a family drama twist. It's not intended to be dark and thrilling and everything that you and Grimly would instantly associate with a superhero drama, but there's no need to be dissing the actors without having even seen it, and as a matter of fact all four family members are very well cast, kids included.

Mikey, it isn't the next Heroes (thank God!) - the superpowers are not intertwined with some big mysterious mythology. It's first and foremost a family drama.

erm, i watched the trailer with an open mind (having not heard of this show yet), and said my thoughts on it, which appeared to be the point of this thread, im sorry that I gave my honest opinion on it, I didnt realise stuff that you disagree with is not allowed, from now on i'll pretend every dreadful television show is actually good tv.

OH MY GOD, this looks amaze, i heart.gif family dramas based on super powers, the story doesnt look like they copied it from 100 already made stories, deffo original. oh and it has the guy who played The Thing in Fantastic Four, I <3 him, it's not like he gave such a $h!t performance in the superhero movie Fantastic Four that he has now resorted to television. This is blates guna be da bestest tv show this season, will $h!t all ova tha boring Wire program. Worst nightmare = this clashing with Eastenders.

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 10 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #7
Group icon
You really do yourself no favours. There's no need to be so immature.

I'm not bothered that you don't like the look of it. I'm just bemused that you felt the need to write an expletive-heavy rant, even going so far as to dismiss the characters as clichéd and say that 'it makes a mockery of superhero TV', as if you've actually bothered to watch it!

'Open mind' my arse, but whatever.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Everything goes numb
Sorry, i'm the one who is immature? as I recall you completly dismissed and had ago at me for SHARING MY OPINION, which is it not, the point of an internet forum? Sorry that my "expletive heavy rant" offended you so much Jark, im sorry that you are what 19? and cannot take one use of "f***" one use of "$h!t" and one use of "p***" that you must complain that I posted an "expletive heavy rant", it wasnt a rant at all, I was simply saying my opinion. I do myself no favours? right back at you, I know I come across as very negative but you just constantly come across as a right cock, if you have a problem with me being "such a downer on everything", feel free to PM me rather than start a pointless arguement. The trailer was rather detailed of the show, as backed up by it being 3 minute long, it basically showed you it all in 3 minutes, what else do i base first opinion on Jark? I was going to watch the first episode (and then probaly come and give my negative opinion, cos yanno i hate everything) but you have put me off that now.

open mind your arse? do you think I sat at my computer saw this thread and having never even heard of the show before, so had nothing to go on but a title already decide that this would be $h!t? im glad you have such a low opinion of me that you think i decide my opinion based only on title.

you are truly f***ing pathetic. as always.

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 10 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Oh, so me telling you that you were being negative should've been taken to a PM but you telling me I am a 'right cock' and 'truly fucking pathetic' shouldn't?

You've just proved why you're so immature - you had to make it personal. I took issue with your reasoning for dismissing a TV programme and you took issue with me. Whatever. Let's leave this argument alone so that people who actually have something constructive to say about the show can do so, and you can stick to being king of the world and I will carry on being 'a right cock' (emphasis on right).

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Everything goes numb
i took it personal? you made it personal in your first reply, im just responding to it, because you know, saying things like "For christ's sake Chris" and "You really do yourself no favours" arent personal? riiight. the fact is i didnt dismiss the tv show, i stated my opinion based on the trailer (not an actual episode) and you had a go at me for stating my negative opinion, you gave some personal beef about it, i dont see how it was appropiate for this thread at all, as you clearly have a problem with me, so why not send me a PM rather than show the whole of buzzjack your little bitch (you know like when you used to bitch about me to other forum members via msn), im sorry if my opinion wasnt constructive enough for you, but i was giving my honest opinion, and i did watch it with an open mind (as i said, i cant just decide i hate things without watching it so i dont know where your 'my arse' comment comes from). I'm not sure why you think i am 'king of the world', you are really what i hate about this forum, it makes me sad that i have to go from stating my opinion to have some prick have a go at me out of nowhere for being "such a downer", i am entitled to my opinion, i couldnt give a toss if you disagree, i just give a toss if you deprive me from my right to having an opinion.

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 10 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm not depriving you of your right to an opinion whatsoever - have you even read what I wrote? I didn't like that having watched three minutes of interspersed clips you declared that it was making 'a mockery of the genre'.

What I did not do was respond to your post thinking 'ha, here is a reason to jump on Chris' - why would I? We've not been sparring on here lately like we used to, as far as I'm concerned there is no longer any beef. But I WILL point out that you're being constantly negative if you are being - just like I will and DO when James is (ie all the time lately)! That's not me being some big evil devilspawn who's out to get you, that's just me voicing my opinion WITHOUT going behind your back to have a bitch. I'm saying it to your face like I would to absolutely anybody who was negative nine posts out of ten.

+Quote this post
Joao.
post Oct 10 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 2,497
Can we end this now? Jark, if Chris dont like the look of the trailer he has every right not to. I dont like the look of it either. Looks like a remake of The Incredibles mixed with the film Unbreakable with Bruce Willis :/ And kinda has cancelled written all over it for ABC. However Chris, Im sure you've been told to tone down the swearing before? (notice the question mark) Now can you two please move this on to PM/MSN as my head is aching enough as it is without having to read size one font writing.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Everything goes numb
QUOTE(JARK @ Oct 11 2010, 12:14 AM) *
I'm not depriving you of your right to an opinion whatsoever - have you even read what I wrote? I didn't like that having watched three minutes of interspersed clips you declared that it was making 'a mockery of the genre'.

What I did not do was respond to your post thinking 'ha, here is a reason to jump on Chris' - why would I? We've not been sparring on here lately like we used to, as far as I'm concerned there is no longer any beef. But I WILL point out that you're being constantly negative if you are being - just like I will and DO when James is (ie all the time lately)! That's not me being some big evil devilspawn who's out to get you, that's just me voicing my opinion WITHOUT going behind your back to have a bitch. I'm saying it to your face like I would to absolutely anybody who was negative nine posts out of ten.

have you watched the trailer? because it was one of the most cliched trailers I have ever seen, could you watch it and honestly say it isnt a mockery of the genre? i can't even say i'm completly sure the show isnt a parody based on it. my opinion was based on the trailer, i didnt claim to base it on anything else, and it could well be different if i have seen an episode, so i dont get what your problem is, i think its a 'mockery of the genre' is my opinion, which again here you seem to be not allowing me to have.

i understand that i am negative alot, and tbh i dont have a lot of reason to be positive but i wont go into that, based upon watching the trailer, i had a negative opinion on the show, if i was going to post my opinion (which is the point of this thread is it not?) then i would be either posting something negative, or posting a false opinion. it isnt even out of context negativty, you clealry have some problem with my negativity and to point it out so "for christs sake" style in the thread is off topic and uneeded.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Everything goes numb
QUOTE(Joao.Kills @ Oct 11 2010, 12:35 AM) *
Can we end this now? Jark, if Chris dont like the look of the trailer he has every right not to. I dont like the look of it either. Looks like a remake of The Incredibles mixed with the film Unbreakable with Bruce Willis :/ And kinda has cancelled written all over it for ABC. However Chris, Im sure you've been told to tone down the swearing before? (notice the question mark) Now can you two please move this on to PM/MSN as my head is aching enough as it is without having to read size one font writing.

i dont exactly see how 3 swear words in a biggish post is an issue. not really my fault if my opinion was intepretated as an "expletive heavy rant" like i had posted the word 'f***' every other word, i didnt even realise i had even sworn until Jark said so, if there is a probelm with swearing in that post then i can never post as it's my natural wording.

+Quote this post
Torple
post Oct 10 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Ego reputo vos es totus pilosus rectum
User: 35
What a load of silliness. Both at fault; Chris going OTT with his initial response, Jark going OTT with the response, Chris reacting OTT, Jark reacting OTT. OH DEAR.

On the actual subject, the only thing I will say is Chris, when you say "it makes a mockery of superhero TV", that confused me. You make it sound like the superhero TV genre is one of the highest cultural artforms in existence, which is making it out to be something it ain't.

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 10 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I agree Chris, and I'm sorry for getting frustrated initially over your negativity. Of course you have the right to an opinion and it would be pointless for anybody to post a false one.

But I still stand by the fact that you can't say something makes a mockery of a genre when you've seen three minutes of it, and yes, I can honestly say it doesn't. I think you've totally confused what genre this actually is - it's a warm-hearted drama series with a superhero element. It is not attempting to be a television series version of Batman, or Spiderman, or X Men, or the new Heroes.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Everything goes numb
QUOTE(Shoat @ Oct 11 2010, 12:43 AM) *
What a load of silliness. Both at fault; Chris going OTT with his initial response, Jark going OTT with the response, Chris reacting OTT, Jark reacting OTT. OH DEAR.

On the actual subject, the only thing I will say is Chris, when you say "it makes a mockery of superhero TV", that confused me. You make it sound like the superhero TV genre is one of the highest cultural artforms in existence, which is making it out to be something it ain't.

perhaps i shouldnt have put 'tv' at the end but it looks like a bad copy of things like Fantastic Four, Incredibles etc, like it's attempting to parody them, aswell as the fail origin story (their plane got hit by lightening and suddenly they get superpowers?), and also where the lead male is experimenting with his powers, its quite Spider-man-esqe, everything in it has been done many times before. im not claiming its one of the highest cultural artforms in existence, but its still a genre, and tbh a pretty big genre if you look outside of tv, certainly big enough for it to have things that make a mockery of it.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Oct 10 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Everything goes numb
QUOTE(JARK @ Oct 11 2010, 12:43 AM) *
I agree Chris, and I'm sorry for getting frustrated initially over your negativity. Of course you have the right to an opinion and it would be pointless for anybody to post a false one.

But I still stand by the fact that you can't say something makes a mockery of a genre when you've seen three minutes of it, and yes, I can honestly say it doesn't. I think you've totally confused what genre this actually is - it's a warm-hearted drama series with a superhero element. It is not attempting to be a television series version of Batman, or Spiderman, or X Men, or the new Heroes.

obviously i'd need to see the whole episode to say for sure, based on the tacky trailer it seemed so. i understand it isnt in the same vein as batman etc but it looks like its trying to ake the p*** out of those (but meaning to be serious) while also have the family drama style to widen the audience.

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 11 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Well there is no element of a parody or trying to take the piss. As for getting their powers in a plane crash, it's actually explored in the storyline - Stephanie is a research scientist who believes that there was something in the water when the plane landed in the river and she takes a water sample in the hope of discovering the cause.

There are some humerous moments when they try out their powers for the first time, of course, especially with Jim. It's a relatively upbeat and big-hearted show.

+Quote this post
West
post Oct 11 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,054
I watched the pilot and not sure about this show.

I think I'll watch it more, since Julie Benz was killed off of Dexter and I need my weekly dose of her.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:56 PM