BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Estonia · Eurovision Song Contest 2015, Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye To Yesterday
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post Dec 6 2014, 12:18 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Estonia
Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye To Yesterday

The 20 songs that will compete to represent Estonia at the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest have just been announced. They are as follows:

Karl-Erik Taukar – Päev Korraga
Bluestocking – Kordumatu
Liis Lemsalu & Egert Milder – Hold On
Daniel Levi – Burning Lights
Elina Born & Stig Rästa – Goodbye to Yesterday
Luisa Värk – Minu Päike
The Blurry Lane – Exceptional
Kali Briis Band – Idiot
NimmerSchmidt – Kellega Ma Tutvusin?
Miina – Kohvitassi Lugu
Mari – Kolm Päeva Tagasi
Demie feat. Janice – Kuum
Wilhelm – Light Up Your Mind
Airi Vipulkumar Kansar – Saatuse Laul
Elisa Kolk – Superlove
Triin Niitoja & John4 – This Is Our Choice
Kruuv – Tiiu Talu Tütreke
Robin Juhketal & The Big Bangers – Troubles
Elephants From Neptune – Unriddle Me
Maia Vahtramäe – Üle Vesihalli Taeva

You can already listen to some of the songs via this ESC Xtra article.

Estonia are probably my second favourite Eurovision country (after Cyprus of course) as I've loved the likes of Getter, Tanja, Ott, Birgit, Urban Symphony, Sandra Oxenryd and Suntribe - and of course Sandra Nurmsalu's national final song this year was amazing! Eesti Laul is definitely one of the best national finals around (although the 2014 jury was definitely not one of the best around in terms of their dislike of Sandra kink.gif) so I'm looking forward to this one!

Eesti Laul 2009 was actually the first non-UK national final I ever watched when Urban Symphony won, so Estonia always hold a special place in my Eurovision history for that. wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jan 6 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

The songs can now be listened to by clicking the song titles on the right-hand side of this webpage! I will have a listen to a few later but I'll wait for ESC Forum to work out which are the best first kink.gif

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 6 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #3
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

Elina Born cheer.gif !!!

Too bad she flopped on BJSC sad.gif by far my favourite act that I have entered tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jan 6 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Talking of Elina, it's her and Stig's song that has the most hype so far on ESC Forum!

I've just listened to the song and I love it! So unique but both of their vocals, and especially Elina's have such brilliant tones. I've seen ESC Forum comparing it to The Common Linnets but this sounds completely different to 'Calm After The Storm' to me - I guess all duets involving guitars are going to be compared to them now! But yes 'Goodbye to Yesterday' is quite fantastic, although I'm going to have to try and avoid getting attached to any Eesti Laul entries after what happened with their 2014 jury and my lovely Sandra.

'Goodbye to Yesterday' really could be something quite special though! wub.gif

And it has such a catchy horn sound like Taylor's 'Shake It Off' has!!

'Burning Lights' is the other with the most hype so far, and that is fantastic too! I'm not always a fan of rock-influenced entries but this alternative pop rock song is fantastic - maybe a little bit Bastille although not really Bastille at all.

Estonia you have lots of potential here, don't mess it up!

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jan 6 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

'Burning Lights' sounds exactly like the sort of song Radio 1 would hammer for months and would be a massive UK hit, I'm going to have to listen to a few more of these songs now as these two are two incredible songs that are right up my street and that's not an exaggeration.

Wilhelm is also amazing and The Blurry Lane are pretty great too! Apparently the threat could be Karl-Erik Taukar who is apparently the most well-known in this selection, and while his song is still really nice (it's a bit McBusted but better) its not up to the incredibleness of Elina/Stig, Daniel and Wilhelm.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jan 11 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I know it means nothing at the moment, but Estonia are current 11/2 favourites on Betfair Exchange presumably due to the 'Goodbye To Yesterday' hype - each time I listen to it it screams winner to me but that's probably just my loon glasses talking.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jan 11 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #7
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I don't get the love for that track at all, it's nice but it's not got the 'so understated it stands out' vibe that The Common Linnets had last year.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 7 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Well a couple of massive shocks in the first semi-final in Estonia tonight. Karl-Erik Taukar who was the most well-known artist in the entire selection (apparently) is out despite being top 5 in the jury vote and clear favourite to qualify from this semi-final. Also Liis Lemsalu & Egert Milder are out despite also being one of the favourites.

Elina & Stig, Triin & John4 and Daniel are definitely the favourites in the second semi and with the qualifiers from tonight being who they are, you'd assume it'd be one of those 3 getting the ticket to Vienna. Although Estonia are known for their shock results as shown by tonight! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 13 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

I do love Goodbye To Yesterday, it sounds like a 90s radio hit. Very Beautiful South and no doubt Radio 2 would lap it up.

But I couldn't really imagine every country flocking to vote for it enough for it to do any better than low top ten. I doubt it will be able to conjure up the arresting simplicity of the Common Linnets' performance on stage.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 13 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Looking at photos from rehearsals, they are going to be doing a "reverse Common Linnets" on stage at Eesti Laul where they won't be looking at each other at all - which is perfect for the song and could look very good with the right camerawork. I agree if they did get to Eurovision then they probably wouldn't be winning contenders but a top 10 would be a great result for Estonia although we'll have to see how it translates on screen. I still fully believe they'll do a Sandra and not end up getting to Eurovision in the first place though!

Odds to win tomorrow's semi final according to Triobet are: Elina & Stig at 1/10 (crazy! ohmy.gif) with Daniel at 6/1 and Triin & John4 at 7/1. Not sure I've ever seen odds like that before for something like this!

+Quote Post
ScottyEm
post Feb 13 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 519
   No Gallery Pics

Erm, where does the verse finish and the chorus start? What a load of turgid rubbish, this is a runaway winner?

The first few seconds in, I got the appeal.. but I didn't seem to hear what was supposed to be the chorus? As much as I (intensely) disliked Common Linnets, you could easily distinguish the chorus and it was admittedly staged very effectively.

This post has been edited by ScottyEm: Feb 13 2015, 10:38 PM

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 14 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Tonight's five qualifiers were as follows. Luisa and Triin/John4 weren't in the jury top 5, the other 3 were.

Daniel Levi – Burning Lights
Elina Born & Stig Rästa – Goodbye to Yesterday
Kali Briis Band – Idiot
Luisa Värk – Minu Päike
Triin Niitoja & John4 – This Is Our Choice

And the performances from the two favourites from that semi:

Incredible performance from Elina & Stig, vocals are spot on and the staging is perfect for the lyrics of the song!

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 14 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Apparently 38,000 votes were cast in the semi-final tonight compared to 18,000 last week and is by far a record for an Eesti Laul semi-final! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 21 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Estonia · Final
21st February 2015

Watch the selection on the official Eesti Laul page of the ETV website!

7.35pm UK Time / 8.35pm Central European Time / 9.35pm Estonia Time
(Programme scheduled to last 2 hours 20 minutes)

Running Order
Click ► to listen to the songs!

01 | Luisa Värk - Minu päike
02 | Maia Vahtramäe - Üle vesihalli taeva
03 | Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
04 | Kali Briis Band - Idiot
05 | Robin Juhkental & The Big Bangers - Troubles
06 | Daniel Levi - Burning Lights
07 | Elisa Kolk - Superlove
08 | The Blurry Lane - Exceptional
09 | Elephants From Neptune - Unriddle Me
10 | Triin Niitoja & John4 - This is Our Choice

Voting
The first round of voting will consist of 50% jury vote and 50% televote. The jury vote will happen while the televoting window is open following the performances. The top 3 songs in the combined jury vote and televote will then progress to the superfinal, where the ultimate winner will be determined by 100% televoting.

Who are the favourites?
According to the bookmakers Triobet and Unibet, Elina Born & Stig Rästa are clear favourites to win. However, next in line to take the title are Elisa Kolk and Daniel Levi with Elephants From Neptune and Triin Niitoja & John4 the fourth and fifth most fancied entries.

Further details available at Eurovision.tv

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 21 2015, 12:32 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

So the moment I've been waiting for/dreading is about to arrive, I have so little trust in this Estonian jury! Usually my concern would be the less than incredible running order draw for Elina & Stig, but I feel like they have the televote support to finish at least top 3 (and therefore be in the superfinal where anything can happen) from anywhere in the running order (topping Estonia iTunes, only song in the Estonian Spotify top 20 and it's in the top 3). Let's just hope the jury don't hate it quite as much as they did Sandra last year - the extra superfinal place (compared to previous years where there has been 2) could be vital!

I feel like Daniel is a very big contender, I expect him to be in and around the top 3 in the televote as well and I think he's going to get lots of jury support too. Then Elephants From Neptune are the big unknowns as there always tends to be one very alternative entry that does well in Estonia (see Super Hot Cosmos Blues Band coming within a few percent of beating Tanja in the superfinal and winning the first round of combined voting last year) and I think this is it for this year. Triin & John4 will also have a lot of televote support (they got through with very low jury support last week), and the running order slot will only help that.

I feel like any of those top 5 favourites could get the 3 superfinal spots, the jury are just too unpredictable to predict though! laugh.gif Prove me wrong Estonian jury - I'd rather the televoters let me down this year than the jury again!

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Feb 21 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #16
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

Will be switching to this after MF tonight! I'll be happy so long as Daniel or Elina/Stig win. (Probably rooting for the latter more if only for Ryan's sanity!)

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 21 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

The quality of this final is very good, Estonia would do very well to pick an entry I don't like at all. It's just Elina & Stig is way above everything else I've heard this entire national final season and I would love to see it in Vienna!

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 21 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Elina & Stig have had a staging revamp where they sort of look at each other now! kink.gif

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Feb 21 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #19
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

QUOTE(Ryan. @ Feb 21 2015, 08:46 PM) *
Elina & Stig have had a staging revamp where they sort of look at each other now! kink.gif

That'll be the reason everyone uses when they lose then kink.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Feb 21 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

People have been calling it their best performance yet!

We're up to song 10 now, so jury votes are coming within 10 minutes or so. Apparently Ines, Tanja, Getter Jaani and Iiris have all been spotted on the jury panel!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 03:27 PM