BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> United Kingdom · Eurovision Song Contest 2024, Olly Alexander - Dizzy
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Dobbo
post 13th May 2024, 09:19 AM
Post #321
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

QUOTE(Dante77 @ 13th May 2024, 10:07 AM) *
This lame argument that the UK are somehow building towards something is ridic and laughable. Eurovision is boom or bust. You can have a country who are in the top 3 one year, and if they get it wrong the next, they can be in the bottom 5.

Good point, Norway and Finland great examples of that this year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 13th May 2024, 09:37 AM
Post #322
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

I don't think anyone's saying we'll do well every year. More often than not, we'll get it wrong.

People just seem quick to forget the successes (Sam/Jade, to a lesser extent Blue). It's worth remembering, if we take an average of say 38 songs competing... Coming 19th or above is technically top half (so we could add the likes of Olly and Lucie to that mix too). We don't need to compete in the semis, so we're competing against the songs that have already proved themselves - and that's a problem most of the big 5 feel - Italy do a similar thing to Sweden, and feel the rewards of that, but I'm sure they are also capable of sending a "lower half" song.

We're heading in the right direction, Olly didn't appeal to the public, but he was smack bang in the middle of ALL songs competing. That says we are getting something right.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 13th May 2024, 09:42 AM
Post #323
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Dante77 @ 13th May 2024, 10:07 AM) *
Some of these comments are killing me: 'Olly did a decent job vocally' or 'It was a great song' - neither are true. It was the worst vocal of the night. .

Worst vocal of the night?

Guessing you must not have heard Finland's or Armenia's laugh.gif

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 13th May 2024, 10:34 AM
Post #324
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

or Estonia's for that matter

I think Armenia has good vocals tho

+Quote this post
Hassaan
post 13th May 2024, 10:39 AM
Post #325
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,168

QUOTE(gooddelta @ 13th May 2024, 09:24 AM) *
Yeah I agree Blue did ok. The staging could have been better and a lot of pressure was placed on Lee's voice (apparently he was off in the jury final which is why they marked the entry down, but I have no hard evidence of that - it just doesn't feel like a massively jury friendly song in the first place - imagine if they'd turned up with something like Breathe Easy).
If we're going by this, it seems like he missed the high note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJ4HDzSvAI

+Quote this post
Scene
post 13th May 2024, 12:32 PM
Post #326
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

They should get someone like Xenomania to produce the next UK entry. Producers who make quirky quality pop music.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 13th May 2024, 01:06 PM
Post #327
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

QUOTE(Scene @ 13th May 2024, 01:32 PM) *
They should get someone like Xenomania to produce the next UK entry. Producers who make quirky quality pop music.

In fairness, that's exactly what Danny L Harle (this year's producer) is known for - listen to anything he's produced for Caroline Polachek (e.g. Welcome To My Island / I Believe / Dang) or released under his own name (Broken Flowers / Super Natural / 1UL) - yet Dizzy was anything but. The current team seem to be so focused on sending safe, radio-friendly pop, that nothing quirky seems to make it to the final product. Hopefully they'll take a look at this year's winner though and realise it pays off to be a bit more daring and play around with genres.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 13th May 2024, 01:19 PM
Post #328
Group icon
‘psychedelic pop-infused’? Pull the other one!
User: 67,771

Get Xenomania to reform Unperfect and send them basil.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 13th May 2024, 05:11 PM
Post #329
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Love you all and no offense but none of the other Big 5 country fans are so f***ing arrogant and echo chamber-y in regards to their own entries lmao

UK just hosted the contest literally last year AAAAAAAaaAAAAAaaaaAaAAaa

Also, Olly is not really a household name you think he is LOL 'It's a Sin' was not a big thing outside of UK and I guess Ireland.

QUOTE(Juranamo @ 13th May 2024, 12:37 PM) *
I don't think anyone's saying we'll do well every year. More often than not, we'll get it wrong.

People just seem quick to forget the successes (Sam/Jade, to a lesser extent Blue). It's worth remembering, if we take an average of say 38 songs competing... Coming 19th or above is technically top half (so we could add the likes of Olly and Lucie to that mix too). We don't need to compete in the semis, so we're competing against the songs that have already proved themselves - and that's a problem most of the big 5 feel - Italy do a similar thing to Sweden, and feel the rewards of that, but I'm sure they are also capable of sending a "lower half" song.

We're heading in the right direction, Olly didn't appeal to the public, but he was smack bang in the middle of ALL songs competing. That says we are getting something right.

It's quite bold to say that any and all chosen UK songs are automatically better than 11 DNQs just because of the Big 5 status.

This year all the songs got the fair amount of airtime so that argument doesn't work anymore.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 13th May 2024, 05:12 PM
Post #330
Group icon

this thread is sponsored by

d e l u s i o n

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 13th May 2024, 05:27 PM
Post #331
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

QUOTE(p a v @ 13th May 2024, 06:11 PM) *
It's quite bold to say that any and all chosen UK songs are automatically better than 11 DNQs just because of the Big 5 status.

This year all the songs got the fair amount of airtime so that argument doesn't work anymore.

As you've bolded part of my post, I shall respond. To clarify: I hold the same view as yourself. I'm saying that if the UK send a middle of the pack song, we should expect to be 20th(ish), as the law of averages would dictate that there were already 10+ songs not even in the competition that had been weeded out (for being lower than average).

I think the UK tends to send songs that are not in the top half (quality wise), and that being Top 20 does not mean we've flopped (because there are many other songs that have already been knocked out). I didn't mention anything about airtime, just that we are competing against a stronger set of songs than if *all* songs were in the final.

We deservedly end up in the bottom few spots because the songs aren't good enough.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 13th May 2024, 05:30 PM
Post #332
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(p a v @ 13th May 2024, 06:12 PM) *
this thread is sponsored by

d e l u s i o n

This tbh!! Same copium when Müller lite on tanet flopped and coulsn't sing.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 13th May 2024, 05:38 PM
Post #333
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

I wonder if Olly saw the top 10 hits Sam and Mae got and thought he might try his luck to kickstart a solo career (in his own name at least). It’s a shame he did so badly in the public vote as it will probably deter other famous musicians from taking part. sad.gif we need to go all out there next year theatrics and all.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 13th May 2024, 05:42 PM
Post #334
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Olly may not be a "household name", but he's had multiple sizeable hits in Europe and outside of the UK so I think that's doing him a bit of a disservice. He's at least known internationally to some degree.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 13th May 2024, 06:16 PM
Post #335
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Wouldn't it be fairer if UK (and the other big 4 countries) had to qualify like all others? Has that every been seriously considered and if not, why not?

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th May 2024, 06:18 PM
Post #336
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

From what I have seen of the Big 5, Spanish fans are just as passionate and echo chambery as us about their entry choices and performances (or often, lack of). They have been very damning about some of their past entries and results. Italy has an incredible selection process that attracts great names, songwriters and performers and always sends quality - we can only dream for something similar here, I don't think Italian fans really need to worry much. France know what they are doing and even on flop years they have usually sent something unique and interesting that fans can be proud of, not plodding radio pop every single time. Germany is pretty much in the same boat as us, although I don't know enough about German fans to comment on how they react to their entries usually.

I think all many of us ask is that the BBC looks outside the box a bit more, especially when we don't get a choice in the artist or song. I don't think any of us here believe we have a God given right to high points and a good placing (one top ten since 2010 has hardly allowed us to build massive egos), I just think we hoped that maybe Sam might get the ball rolling on entries we could be a bit more proud of as fans of the contest.

If it comes across as arrogance, I don't think it's intentional. I think it's the passion of knowing that we could and should be exposing Europe to more interesting facets of our music industry and we don't.

As for Dizzy, I was super excited about this year, tbh moreso for Danny L Harle as a songwriter than Olly because I love nearly everything he's produced, so to have another damp squib zero is going to provoke reaction from fans due to the initial promise of that annoucement - whether the song, ultimately, deserved it or not.

+Quote this post
Rap Codester
post 13th May 2024, 06:30 PM
Post #337
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ 13th May 2024, 10:42 AM) *
Olly may not be a "household name", but he's had multiple sizeable hits in Europe and outside of the UK so I think that's doing him a bit of a disservice. He's at least known internationally to some degree.
would it have helped him if he went as Years & Years instead of as Olly Alexander?

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th May 2024, 06:38 PM
Post #338
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I can't see that it would have changed anything. Eurovision is littered with names that did nothing - DJ Bobo, Cascada, Las Ketchup, Darude, The Rasmus. I can't see that the Years & Years name would have brought the points rolling in - maybe in 2016, not 2024.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 13th May 2024, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post
p a v
post 13th May 2024, 08:29 PM
Post #339
Group icon

Actually come to think of it, I do know a couple of people here in Germany who were even offended at the idea of the German song this year potentially doing bad. Although somehow they came 12th. Touché on that part 😅

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 13th May 2024, 09:47 PM
Post #340
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

Yeah, the Spanish fans are definitely the most passionate I've ever witnessed (which I love to be honest) and they were foaming at Zorra's result and Eaea's last year. I guess, similarly to the UK, you could say they're ungrateful seeing as Chanel came 3rd in 2022. I wouldn't see it that way myself though.

How do I now look back on how this did? Disappointed. We made so much more effort this year than anything pre-Sam, not just phoned in as it was for much of the 2010s, so I think we have a right to be disappointed that the effort was met with a 0. In hindsight, was the performance probably offputting to many? Probably. And the song likely wasn't good enough to counteract that, in the way that it probably did for Bambie Thug, whose performance definitely riled up many, but also stunned its lovers. I don't know that Olly's song/vocals conjured up enough opposing support to the detractors.

I still adore the staging though, I don't take that back, and it was easily one of the most impressive to see live. I still love the song, one of my favourites of the year. I can't believe it got ZERO, I could've been unsurprised at like 5 or 6, but it was a much better package than zero for sure.

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 31st May 2024, 11:31 AM