Everything posted by GreyAsh
-
Friday Chart Predictions
She’s not the only one up… and looking at Spotify, so many songs are up on last week. Loads of songs will escape DCL-2 this week.
-
Friday Chart Predictions
Another difference being that ‘Lush Life’ is a comparatively very old track.
-
Friday Chart Predictions
Fleetwood Mac now above Sabrina Carpenter! Probably a non mover - but could come to another new peak soon!
-
Streaming Services Chart Discussion; W/C 09/01/26
Is Heated Rivalry just on Sky?
-
Streaming Services Chart Discussion; W/C 09/01/26
On Apple: The 3 recent singles 104 Locked Out Of Heaven 169 Just The Way You Are 197 When I Was Your Man Amazon Only the 3 recent singles in the top 100. The resurgence is mostly on Spotify.
-
Streaming Services Chart Discussion; W/C 09/01/26
I am sure some of these should be eligible for a reset! I was going to say: ‘Could ‘Locked Out Of Heaven’ and ‘That’s What I Like’ knock APT out of the chart?’ but then I realised that Bruno is not the primary artist on APT.
-
Streaming Services Chart Discussion; W/C 09/01/26
I’d love a resurgence! Does anyone know why it’s back in the Spotify chart now?
-
BuzzJack's Favourite Christmas #3 Single: The Rate
Pleased that my top 3 are the top 3.
-
3 song rule
Madonna - please take care of yourself!
-
3 song rule
‘The dead artist effect’? There has only been a short period of time when there has ever been a significant dead artist effect (and by that I mean when several of their songs make the top 40) - as I said, even early in the streaming days ‘Careless Whisper’ didn’t make the top 40 after George Michael died - and that was before the days when the chart was flooded with classic Christmas songs. ‘The way the OCC counts streaming has done away with small fan bases’. Are you trying to say that small fan base should be able to manipulate the chart? And are you referring to the fact that the OCC includes streaming at all, or a specific way in which they count it? If the chart was based on sales alone, it would not even represent what people are listening to at the moment. Sales are tiny, so of course if the chart was based solely on sales, the chart could be manipulated. Platforms wouldn’t need to show streaming figures to show whether a song is being streamed enough to chart. You just need to look at the charts that these platforms provide. If I remember correctly, Chris Rea wasn’t really charting anywhere on any streaming platform other than for ‘Driving Home For Christmas’ - and do you really think as many people would have been choosing to play ‘The Road To Hell’ (great song by the way) as we’re playing, say ‘Where Is My Husband!’? I’m not saying that playlisting is not an issue, but someone can go viral and chart before they are playlisted.
-
3 song rule
Another thing to add is that multiple songs charting from a deceased artist were probably most prevalent during the download era, as it would not have been able to happen during the physical era - as those records would not have been available in the shops. There are of course exceptions to the rules, and an individual single would often be re-released to mark the passing. John Lennon is probably the main exception I can think of. So those harking back to the pre-digital era I feel are barking up the wrong tree.
-
3 song rule
But even then, there was no evidence that Chris’s songs were being streamed to the extent needed to chart.
-
3 song rule
Regarding Prince - yes, that seems such a long time ago now! 2016 - 10 years ago, before primary artist rules, and at a time when streaming was not yet as dominant as it is now. His 3rd hit was at 38 - and three further songs were in the top 100. I was surprised that Ozzy Osbourne had such an impact on the chart - two top 40s and then all of 45-48!
-
Artists who've had the most weeks with a full 3 tracks?
One question though is whether we are talking about before or after the three track rule.
-
3 song rule
The question I would ask is: who was the last person to pass away to have a massive impact on the top 40? Tina Turner, for example, had just 2 top 40 hits that week. George Michael had just 1 - and that was already in the chart. When artists pass away these days it just does not have a big impact on the top 40.
-
BuzzJack's Favourite Christmas #3 Single: The Rate
Love this song - but as I have never thought of it as being aimed at the Christmas market, I feel it is right that the other 4 songs are above it.
-
Artists who've had the most weeks with a full 3 tracks?
Either Ed or Taylor Swift maybe (if we are starting from the time that the 3 track rule was introduced). But then again, artists like Sabrina Carpenter (and even now Olivia Dean) have probably had albums with more consistent streams. Even Fleetwood Mac have recently had long strings of weeks with 3 tracks in the chart.
-
3 song rule
Out of interest, what made you ask this question? I was wondering whether you were mostly interested in resurgences immediately after an artist has passed away.
-
Number 1 songs that dropped from number 1 despite an increase in chart sales
So I guess the question is – what are the biggest percentage increases posted when dropping to each of the positions 2, 3 or 4 (excluding any tracks falling because of moving to ACR)?
-
Number 1 songs that dropped from number 1 despite an increase in chart sales
Just realised that I had completely misremembered this! Interesting considering the original post is about Kylie - I incorrectly remembered that Whigfield kept ‘Confide In Me’ off the number 1 spot - when in fact ‘Confide In Me’ was released the previous week, and Wet Wet Wet kept Kylie off the number 1 spot, before dropping to 4.
-
BuzzJack's Favourite Christmas #3 Single: The Rate
I did lose a fair few of my top 10 before the top 10 - but 4 of my top 5 make 4 of the top 5. Leona is the odd one out - but as I voted her 3 songs between 10th and 15th place - and as her song is one of only two Christmas songs left, and the only song left that peaked at 3, I wouldn’t begrudge her winning.
-
Top 100 Best Selling Albums of the 2020s (2025 update)
Fleetwood Mac currently have 3 charting singles, and they are all from different studio albums - so only one is on Rumours. If you look at the sales for ‘Rumours’, a large number of them are physical sales. Every artist is entitled to have streams allocated to both a Greatest Hits album and a studio album - it’s certainly not exclusive to Fleetwood Mac. They just happen to be an act who are doing incredibly well in streaming era. Do you feel Oasis should not have double counting either? If so, why do you pinpoint Fleetwood Mac? And if not, why not?
-
Estimated ACR status updates 2026
Looking forward to this clear out!
-
2026 BPI Certifications
I loved that era, and those Eurodance tunes too.
-
2026 BPI Certifications
Yay for Cranberries. And RIOT! - one of my favourite rock(ish) albums of all time.