Jump to content

Bror

Moderator
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Bror

  1. 2 more gooduns there!
  2. The subtle trolling that Cor Lupus' thumbnail matches that of the previous DNQs x (not sure if done intentionally or not xo)
  3. If only we let Beaverdonia sent Netrix The Spodic Empire <3 mostly very good qualifiers so far x
  4. A good anniversary entry from Aelandor, not sure I see it quite being another 2nd place for them but hopefully can do decently x
  5. Ending my DNQ streak with this very surprising qualifier that everyone will be shocked about (seriously though yay xx) Yay for Jadakissnia too!
  6. Are these videos even longer than they were last time Lentyll <3
  7. Omg not the suspense videos again xx
  8. There is also a version history xo
  9. If you edit a response it does overwrite the timestamp but the submissions are still listed by default in the order of their original timestamp anyway! (but yes, these responses aren't editable anyway so moot point)
  10. It isn't set up to edit responses so Calum is just going to have a bunch of duplicates on the form x (I've not done mine again x)
  11. Oh we're back x (I confirmed already x)
  12. Bror posted a post in a topic in Pop and Country
    Off to the smoothest start I confirmed anyway xo
  13. Bror posted a post in a topic in Pop and Country
    Wot
  14. Bror posted a post in a topic in Pop and Country
    The rule that you have to vote for me x
  15. Eldritch Anisette fan club on life support (it's me)
  16. Have done a first listen today, will try and slot in a second in the next couple of days. Think one song stands out as a very likely winner to me but who knows when I wasn't there to see what people were saying on SyncTube! Have got ~14 songs I'd be happy to vote for from first impressions and there weren't any songs that I didn't like at all so seems like a strong edition to me.
  17. Yes I'm pretty sure the rules are just that the artist needs to have debuted before 2000 and the song needs to have been released at least 10 years after their debut (and in 2000-2019 obvz). Love that you found a way to make the theme of this more retro adjacent! Nothing is coming to mind for me that fits the criteria immediately so will have to have a search.
  18. I will be one of the people who got Y wrong I assume, but I didn't want to leave it blank in case it was just a poorly worded clue I was beginning to wonder if Tina Turner was going to be marked a wrong answer as she only clears 40 top 75 hits if you count the ones with Ike which you previously commented you consider to be a separate act rather than a collaboration! So in that sense Travis Scott is really the only actually correct answer there (Polyhex does list 41 entries excluding the Ike songs but a couple of those are just digital era re-entries so it's only 39 distinct hits)
  19. After months of stagnation and mediocrity at #1 I'm glad Ella and SIENNA have both got a turn at #1 since (even if on somewhat pitiful sales), 2 of the better songs to hit #1 this year for me - 'Die On This Hill' is still SIENNA's best song but 'Great Expectation' I think is probably 2nd for me now. Silver lining of 'Rein Me In' staying at #1 for so long, after a few recent years with barely any British representation among the year's #1s this year has been dominated by them, 'Rein Me In' alone accounting for nearly half of the entire year but Wham!, RAYE, Dave, Harry Styles x2 and now SIENNA SPIRO making it all but 8 weeks of the year so far having had a British act at #1! Meh at 'Loser' going top 10 after all but at least it's joined (and beaten) by a better Kevin Parker production in 'Training Season', and at least we are still being spared of 'Sue me' being a top 20 hit so far x Good to see Malcolm Todd, sombr and Ashe still moving up within the top 20, the ADÉLA song is decent too, hopefully still a chance for at least a couple of those to give us some better new top 10 hits. Not you Alyssa. Was listening to most of the chart show yesterday and finally hearing 'Orbiter' for the first time after several previous times of being tuned in but it being snubbed - sounding great on first listen, possibly rivalling 'Porch Light' for my favourite that I've heard from this album. Was also my first listen of 'Bass Persuades', not too sold on that one unfortunately. Lol at 'Sure Thing' being back again. Why not I guess, I had no idea it was resurging again so was out of nowhere hearing it again on the chart show but still sounding pretty good. (Funnily enough resurfacing again very shortly after passing 3 years since its last week in the top 100, so it'd have been eligible for another reset now even if the OCC had stuck to that supposed rule). Would have been quite cool to have a true surprise #1 album from ADÉLA but also would have been a shame for Kasabian to join Brandon Flowers in losing a long streak of #1 studio albums so well done to them x Funnily with 'Ain't In LA' also rising to #12 this week ADÉLA has now simultaneously matched the peak of KATSEYE in both charts!
  20. YouTube playlist For anyone who may still get any use out of it. I'm going to pretend I didn't get spoilers of who sent a couple of the songs while putting this together because of people not removing the tracking garbage from the links x
  21. Bror posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    Would be great if Ezra Collective could get a #1 album - their last album did only just short of 10k first week despite only debuting at #7 so must have dropped on a busy week, their competition this week may well just be Olivia or MJ returning to #1 by default on about 10k sales (I don't think any of the other new releases particularly scream doing 5 figures) so if they can just improve on that a little bit that could be enough.
  22. My main takeaway from reading all your 70s commentaries and relistening to the songs is that I have severely underrated '(Don't Fear) The Reaper' - I've always been a fan of it but as per usual for me I don't really pay much mind to lyrics / the meaning behind the song, I'm not sure how I never realised what that song was about but now that I know it gives the song a real beauty and a sort of calming aura despite the morbid subject matter. I don't think I've ever heard another song from them but they hit it out of the park with their one hit. Funny that Jaz commented about it sounding ahead of its time as I can see that but I also saw a comment in a review of the song on RateYourMusic saying the vocal harmonies sound straight out of Woodstock and I can totally see that as well, a very timeless song! I don't think I'd have guessed you were a big enough fan of the song to include it here but very glad it crept in to allow me to gain this new appreciation <3 Otherwise - the top 3 are of course all rock solid early synth classics so you won't find me slandering your #1 pick this time (although I think I marginally prefer the other half of the 'The Model'/'Computer Love' double A-Side, what a pair of songs though <3). The guitar riff of 'Layla' is forever burnt into my memory as it was my mum's ringtone (much like The Tamperer's 'Feel It' for being my dad's ringtone, though I'm going to predict that's less likely to make an appearance here ), obligatory boo to Eric Clapton's politics but he did make something special with that song. The piano part is less familiar to me but also lovely. Your picks for Bowie, Bush and Blondie are not the ones I'd have gone with (that'd be 'Starman', 'Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)' and 'Atomic' respectively) but all undeniably great songs as well, was a moment to see 'Wuthering Heights' sneaking back into the top 40 this year despite not even being used in the new film. Coincidentally commenting on this just as another similarly young British woman has got her first #1 of course! And much love for 'Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2' as well, great choice from Pink Floyd to release a rare actual single there, one of the most standout Christmas #1s, excellent use of the children's vocals. Serge Gainsbourg definitely sticks out a bit on the list being otherwise full of #1s and/or rock classics so wow at that working its way into your list as a more recent underground discovery! I gave it 7 points in the retro contest but haven't revisited it since (I reeeeally need to get around to making some playlists of my favourites from non-BJSC contests as I keep meaning to), still sounding very good now. (I'll most likely continue to just dump thoughts on the songs after you finish each decade's writeups as I am quite enjoying listening through the top 10s back-to-back but will just say now I'm glad you decided to move Kraftwerk back to the 70s as could not be having 'Lay All Your Love On Me' missing out!!)
  23. Just force of habit? x I'd be surprised if they're out this time, I do think this has the potential to be a decent Herbihit.