BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> University Challenge
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Kath
post 2nd October 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

Just watching a recording of last Monday's show.

Can't see Cardiff or Exeter getting much further this series!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd October 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

It was a very low scoring round wasn't it?

+Quote this post
Kath
post 2nd October 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 2 2013, 11:26 PM) *
It was a very low scoring round wasn't it?

You're not kidding! I don't know if its because I'm old - but I could have got more points than either team all on my own!

Gotta be honest though - I only watch it for Paxman!

This post has been edited by Kath: 2nd October 2013, 10:28 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd October 2013, 10:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I swear Exeter always flop so hard at this one way or another! laugh.gif sad.gif

Funny seeing my first and second choice unis going up against one another to be quite honest. There have been far better episodes this series though.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd October 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Kath @ Oct 2 2013, 11:28 PM) *
You're not kidding! I don't know if its because I'm old - but I could have got more points than either team all on my own!

Gotta be honest though - I only watch it for Paxman!

I think we should accept that it is partly a case of being old. I do try to think whether I would have known something when I was at university rather than knowing it now a few decades later. There are times when I am impressed with what they know, particularly if they get it right when I didn't even understand the question laugh.gif

+Quote this post
152chris
post 10th October 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105

Just seeing clips of that Liverpool girl vs keele and it's KILLING me that I can't find the full episode anywhere. She's amazing.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th October 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 3 2013, 12:42 AM) *
I think we should accept that it is partly a case of being old. I do try to think whether I would have known something when I was at university rather than knowing it now a few decades later. There are times when I am impressed with what they know, particularly if they get it right when I didn't even understand the question laugh.gif

interesting, and may be some truth when it comes to pop culture trivia references, and older people have had more time to accumulate knowledge - but then we also forget stuff that popped into short-term memory use (eg coursework for exams and that we never used again laugh.gif) while it's still fresh and clear and brains are firing on all cylinders for young people...

I did horticulture exams at 40, passed fairly easily, but Ive already forgotten half the latin names of plants. Use it or lose it, knowledge sometimes!

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 14th October 2013, 02:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 3 2013, 12:42 AM) *

Sometimes I'm sat there thinking to myself "I'm not even going to attempt to try and figure out what that question is meant to be". laugh.gif

I love it when I get an answer that neither team does though, there was one where it was a picture of a nebula and out of nowhere I said "I think it's the crab nebula" and neither team got it. Was well proud of myself! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Flatcap
post 14th October 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Nah.
User: 27

Managed to answer some questions on royal history. On a low note, my old university got well and truly beaten this evening. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th August 2022, 01:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

BUMP

Jeremy Paxman is to step down as host of TV quiz University Challenge after more than 28 years.

The former Newsnight presenter became just the second host of the long-running show in 1994, and his last episode will be broadcast next summer.

The news comes a year after the broadcaster revealed he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

"I've had a blast hosting this wonderful series for nearly 29 years," Paxman, 72, said in a statement.

"I've been lucky enough to work with an amazing team and to meet some of the swottier brains in the country. It gives me hope for the future."

The formidable former journalist took over as host when the student quiz show was revived by the BBC, and has already surpassed the reign of his predecessor Bamber Gascoigne, who presented it on ITV from 1962 to 1987.

Paxman will film his final episodes this autumn and his replacement will be announced later this week.

It is not yet known who is being considered for the role, but Kirsty Wark - one of Paxman's former Newsnight colleagues - filled in for him for a Children In Need charity special edition of the quiz in 2021.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th August 2022, 12:04 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Amol Rajan has been confirmed as the new host of University Challenge.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:18 AM