BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Close Eye #1 • Quentin Tarantino, royale with cheese
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 5th February 2014, 09:54 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Hello all and welcome to a new feature for the movie forum! Every week or so we'll be presenting a focus thread on some of the biggest, boldest and occasionaly obscure names in the world of cinema. They will typically be centred on directors, but we will also venture into actors/studios etc. They will mostly be chosen at random but i'd happily accept suggestions via PM if there is anyone in particular you want to discuss. We can hopefully build a bank of threads once we get a few names out.

The idea is to discuss anything and everything about the director and hopefully look further into their work if you get the chance.

First up we have one of the most undeniably "popular" names in the industry: Quentin Tarantino.

Filmography
  • 2013 Django Unchained
  • 2009 Inglourious Basterds
  • 2007 Death Proof
  • 2007 Grindhouse
  • 2005 Sin City (special guest director)
  • 2004 Kill Bill: Vol. 2
  • 2003 Kill Bill: Vol. 1
  • 1997 Jackie Brown
  • 1994 Pulp Fiction
  • 1992 Reservoir Dogs
  • 1987 My Best Friend's Birthday

You a fan of his works in general - any favourite films/scenes? And do you entertain the colourful man behind the camera?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 5th February 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007

I can take or leave him in general, but my absolute fave is 'Jackie Brown' wub.gif Pam Grier is a STAR in it and just steals the show literally <3

I can't help but feel he's lost it recently with trying to throw every trick at the wall and hoping something sticks, but his 90s output was second to none.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 5th February 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

Always relentlessly entertaining, Inglourious Basterds just nails it when it has absolutely no right to. As you say his '90s output is exceptional, Pulp Fiction is one of those films that for the uninitiated will play almost as a succession of YouTube clips - iconic scene after iconic scene, although the accidental shooting in the car is a favourite.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 5th February 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I've only seen Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained & part of Sin City, so I probably need to get into his work more, from what I've seen though, he has a clear sense of humour and his unashamed bombasticness is quite refreshing and definitely entertaining.

The only thing I'd say is that it's a bit 'everything but the k*tchen sink' sometimes, Pulp Fiction was great, but more than a little bit confusing to piece together.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 5th February 2014, 10:27 PM

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 6th February 2014, 01:43 AM
Post #5
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 5 2014, 10:25 PM) *
The only thing I'd say is that it's a bit 'everything but the k*tchen sink' sometimes, Pulp Fiction was great, but more than a little bit confusing to piece together.

I've always found Pulp Fiction to be really overrated compared to the rest of his stuff. I can see why it's such a cult classic now and stylistically it's incredible with some brilliant dialogue but it never really amazed me as one whole piece.

Absolutely love Inglorious. I'm a sucker for a great ending that just leaves you smirking throughout the credits and that one did it for me. It just pieces the entire film together so perfectly. The slow pacing of the earlier scenes really helps to set up for that amazing scene in the cinema where it all just quite literally blows up.

Most of his other films are probably amongst my favourites of all time too and he's one of them directors where whatever his output now I'm guaranteed to watch because I know it will either be incredible or I'll give it more time than I would any other film because I know it's from him and there probably is something to get yet I'm likely to just be missing it.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 6th February 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

I think Inglourious works better than Django because it feels like less hard work for its running time. To Django's credit, it doesn't feel overly long but I always think that having multiple interlinked plotlines makes the time go so much faster. And as Jake said, the climax is the perfect payoff because it's such a culmination of everything that's gone before. The fact that we know we're building up to the premiere gives the whole thing structure.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 7th February 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Although he wasn't the director, 'From Dusk Till Dawn' is an amazing Tarantino film! wub.gif

I'll admit, I haven't actually seen any of his films (apart from half of 'Reservoir Dogs') but I've always wanted to watch them (based on reviews).

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 7th February 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of all of his movies, but there is usually something in each of them that is so inspired and totally Tarantino, that you've got to respect him just a little. That said, Kill Bill 1 and 2 are utter masterpieces in my opinion.

One thing that you can't deny is his enthusiasm. If you've ever seen an interview with him or heard any of his commentaries, it's immediately obvious how much he puts into his creations. He lives and breathes movies and has a vast knowledge of Japanese martial arts movies and culture amongst numerous other genres. He's completely unique and a marmite character if ever there was one, but I could never deny his total love for what he does.

He is also incredibly loyal and respectful of the people he works with, from the actors to the musicians and the production crew. Hearing him talk about certain people, like Uma for example, is lovely. He knows that his actors and his crew are his right hand and he never takes away from what they add to what he does.

This post has been edited by PaulM1983: 7th February 2014, 07:05 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 6th October 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #9
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

One of my fave all time directors and have seen several of his films

Reservoir Dogs = This was actually the first film of his I'd seen, I was only a child back then, but to be honest I didn't get it at the time, but when I saw it again many years later and actually really like it, the dialogue is really interesting and especially when they're gathered round talking about Madonna's True Blue, that was just unexpected and hilarious. Also the realism and the fact that there is no nonsence, just straight forward.

Pulp Fiction = Another classic that took me a while to get, but it's quirky and fantastic and will always be remembered for it's brilliant performances and became a wise career move for everyone involved, for a start it made the world notice what a great actor Samuel L Jackson is, and made him a household name. As well as staging a successful comeback for John Travolta as his career stalled during the 80's, but the 90's made him relevant again. Of course Uma Thurman became a big star after this and gave her a career. All in all amazing dialogue, brilliant performances even from Bruce Willis, and featuring a perfect cast.

Jackie Brown = Another personal fave of mine and criminally underrated, especially it's main star Pam Grier, who I never heard before this, but went straight out to seek her movies such as Coffey and Foxy Brown. This movie is like an homage to those flicks in a way. Okay the pace is slower than the previous but with exceptional performances and a great cast. Again bringing back Samuel L Jackson who seems to star in everything these days and never get sick of him. Robert De Niro whose a bit more laid back and quiet at times, but snaps just like that and Bridget Fonda who never quite got there as an actress, shame coz she was really good in this and other films.

Kill Bill Vol 1 = This had me hooked straight away, especially bringing back Uma Thurman after her career stalled with Batman And Robin and The Avengers, but she was perfect in this role, the fight scenes were spectacular, especially with her ongoing quest to kill bill, so epic. Plus Lucy Liu and Vivica A Fox, both great femme fatales.

Kill Bill Vol 2 = This one disappointed me to be honest, after all that build up the ending was limp. But the only saving grace was the awesome fight scene with Daryl Hannah, again nice to see her on her big screen again.

Death Proof = It was okay and nice to see Kurt Russell on the big screen again, but on the whole this kinda dragged and too much talking, not enough action, plus none pf the characters were very likeable either. A bit of a letdown to be honest.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:21 PM