BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Revenant, Already an hotly tipped Oscar contender!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Styles Bilinski
post Jul 19 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #1
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

From Alejandro González Iñárritu, current holder of 'Best Director' (and 'Best Picture') for "Birdman". Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy lead.

This trailer was released a couple of days ago and has already reached 8.5m views. Looks intriguing and great visually but doesn't give too much away.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mAddy Xmas
post Jul 20 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,666

Is this going to be Leonard's first Oscar?

Trailer looks amazing!!!

+Quote Post
jase.
post Jul 20 2015, 12:10 AM
Post #3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

Holy shit, that trailer was the definition of epic

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jul 20 2015, 05:37 AM
Post #4
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I thought this said "The Relevant" for a sec

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jul 20 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #5
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

My two favourite actors in the same film! HOPEFULLY OSCAR WINS ALL AROUND *.*

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Sep 29 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #6
Together we are more.

Second trailer!

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jan 15 2016, 12:40 AM
Post #7
alt er love

Really is a visual movie with chunks where there is no dialogue (just some groaning laugh.gif). Like the whale being the highlight of "In The Heart of the Sea", the bear stole the show here. I didn't mind it and it didn't feel like it dragged too much but I found it unintentionally hilarious at times with some of the dialogue and I loved Leonardo's suffering.

Anyhow, won't be the worst 'Best Picture' nominee of the year as I preferred it to Mad Max tongue.gif (Look at Tom Hardy starring in two of the contenders, Domhnall Gleeson too). I did enjoy "Birdman" more though so I don't want it to be two on the trot for Alejandro.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jan 15 2016, 02:41 AM
Post #8
Together we are more.

Absolutely loved this. It was pretty much what I expected, but it was a fantastic piece of film. The time for me seemed to fly by and there was not one part where I thought "well, if this could hurry along..." so that's always a plus. Leonardo was fantastic, as per. The bear scene was done fantastically well. For some reason I was really impressed by that part. Breathtaking scenery and visuals too!

SO GOOD. A very worthy "Best Picture" nominee and would be a great win as, on the contrary to Jack, I preferred it a whole lot more to 'Birdman' (which I liked a lot)!

+Quote Post
torresgirl
post Jan 17 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 14,963
   No Gallery Pics

I saw this yesterday. It is overall a great piece of cinema. The first hour or so is utterly absorbing, if a little tough to take. Leo is fantastic, you really feel his pain, he made it hard to watch! The scenery is beautiful also. Probably about 15 minutes too long but it doesn't ruin it being a little slow at times. Tom Hardy also brilliant.

I have a feeling (although I haven't seen all the other films nominated) its going to win best picture at the Oscars. It has all the elements of a film that does and has all the momentum. At the very least Leo must win! Quite frankly, what else can he do!?

This post has been edited by torresgirl: Jan 17 2016, 12:03 PM

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jan 18 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #10
c:
Member No.: 20,692

I thought the highs in this were massive and had me on the edge of my seat bear attack, final fight scene, any scene two rival groups were in and even the bits like sleeping inside the horse were so brutal and fantastc to watch on screen but it just felt so long on parts and that kind of dampened my enjoyment of the film.

Leonardo DiCaprio was phenomenal and he made lengthy pieces without dialogue work really well, would be really happy if he won although I equally loved Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl. A bit perplexed as to why Tom Hardy was nominated though, he did a good job but I think he was more menacing due to the way he was written rather than the acting itself. The Oscars really should have put Jacob Tremblay in his spot or even Idris Elba/Paul Dano based on their good reviews although I haven't seen them.

Overall, I can accept and fully understand if this wins Best Picture and probably be quite happy just because I came out thinking I'd just witnessed a fantastic piece of cinema despite but personally I got way more enjoyment from Room, Brooklyn and Mad Max etc. A fantastic film, engaging story and beautiful shots but I don't think I'll be rewatching this for a decade or so.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jan 30 2016, 02:01 AM
Post #11
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

Actually gutted as really wanted to like this but was so bored, the dialogue was clunky and parts really freaked me out (I actually felt sick during the taking the horse guts out and sleeping in there part. Will post a bigger review later.

1.5/10

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jan 31 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #12
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

Yeah absolutely hated this sad.gif

Let's start with the positives, the movie itself looked beautiful and the cinematography was wonderful and Leo was very good (but has had many many more performances worthy of winning him the Oscar than this one). That's about it. Oh and the bear attacking part was very good also.
I felt incredibly bored throughout the entire movie and the slow pace really didn't work for me and the movie didn't need to be that long (Bridge Of Spies- which was a similar running time length- kept me intrigued throughout the entire movie whereas this didn't). I found the opening scene quite crap, and it just went on and on and I found it quite hard to follow up with what was going on. I also didn't think the cast was that good, no clue why Tom Hardy was nominated for Best Supporting Actor; Jacob Trembley deserved the nomination 1000x more than he did. The rest of the cast also weren't that great though I think the main problem was that I couldn't find sympathy or interest in one of the characters. I found them all boring, quite useless and they all got on my nerves. Even Leo's character did as well. The movie kinda picked up for the last 20 minutes but it was too late by then and it made itself worse again by the end. I wish Leo killed Tom so that the full justice could be done, instead of some random people killing him as it was God's will and crappety crap like that, no thanks. Yeah that got on my nerves and also Not knowing whether Leo survived after all that, I probably would have made it clear he died to show he completed his mission and had nothing really to live for anymore. Also the movie was far far too gruesome and gory for my liking, I actually think it should have been an 18. I didn't like all the dead animal parts and the eating those big pieces of meat etc and especially the part where the horse is killed, guts removed and Leo sleeps in it I found just revolting and disgusting and they really didn't need to be included, actually felt sick after that particular scene. Also the script was terrible and a couple of the lines pretty much offended me. Very disappointing

1.5/10

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Feb 1 2016, 01:16 AM
Post #13
Together we are more.

Read UV's review, but after the first paragraph, reverse EVERYTHING (except about Tom Hardy being up for "Supporting Actor" - one of my fave actors, but I think his role in 'Mad Max' was far more intriguing, character wise, and more worthy) ohmy.gif I didn't think it dragged much at all and thought it was paced extremely well, especially for such a long film. I'm a HUGE gore fan, so that didn't put me off, however, the whole horse part even had me squirming. laugh.gif But I thought it was a nice inclusion to the film because it showed just how much he went through!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 7 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Pretentious ponderous and awful plotting. Leonardo is virtually superman the amount of mortality- inducing escapades he brushes off not to mention his amazing ability to shrug off a broken leg and become an athlete. Of all the actor Oscar nominees I'd give it to Christian bale.

Most of all though I can't forgive the lack of a posse. Posses' are generally regarded as a wise course of action. The scenery is nicely shot and if they were giving awards to actors for endurance above and beyond then Leonardo would be a shoo in...

Over-rated 5/10

Ps the script is based on fact in the following way: the names are correct of 4 people. One of them was mauled by a bear and left for dead by 2 of them. He made his way 200 miles and recovered his belongings. Everything else is made up. Boo!

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Feb 7 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #15
alt er love

Leonardo and Christian Bale aren't competing against each other though, technically they could both be winners unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Insomnio
post Sep 12 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"The Revenant" was the most talked about film on social media during Oscar Season! It was nominated in 12 categories at this year's Oscars and it won three Golden Globes such as Best Motion Picture - Drama, Best Director and Best Actor - Drama! "The Revenant” had arguably the best official trailer for 2015, which was played largely by the theaters and on television. It hit comfortably on top of the domestic Box Office and it remains in first place for four consecutive weeks!
"The Revenant" is inspired by true events that happened in America in the 19th century. The central character of the story is the hunter Hugh Glass, who is abandoned, while seriously injured, by two members of his group, since previously one of them, John Fitzgerald, killed his son in front of his eyes. From that point on, Hugh Glass begins a merciless chase in order to avenge the murderer of his child. “The Revenant" is essentially a revenge movie unfolding in vast expanses of the North American land. The Mexican Alejandro G. Iñárritu did not only take over the director's chair but he also wrote the script along with Mark L. Smith. Iñárritu did an excellent job and I think it far exceeded all his previous films. "The Revenant" had great directing, flawless cinematography, tight editing, loud sound effects and captivating photography. Furthermore, the interpretation of Leonardo Di Caprio is among the best in this decade after what he suffered and went through in this particular movie. It is one of the few films that are not based on dialogues -remember his verbose character in "The Wolf of Wall Street-, but Di Caprio managed a unique way to pull out the most demanding role of his career. Also, the interpretation of Tom Hardy in the role of the bad guy was very convincing, proving that this actor can win the audience with every character. Whether it's good or bad.
"The Revenant" was one of the most shocking films I've ever seen on the big screen in recent years and it deserved to win many Golden Statuettes! I believe that it is that film which will always represent 2015 with the passage of time! It is seen with undiminished interest from beginning to end while the snowy scenery is an eye catcher! It has been loved by the audience and critics and it has acquired a high average score of 8,1 in IMDb. "The Revenant" is a film that deserves to be enjoyed only in the cinema screen and anywhere else!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 09:01 PM