BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ireland Eurovision Song Contest 2017, "Reviewing" their selection process, decision in due course
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post Nov 25 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Ireland

???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Nov 25 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Ireland have been pretty much silent since their internal selection of Nicky Byrne turned into another disaster for RTE, the very generic "Sunlight" being outshone by the more modern (and just better) Donny Montell performing just a couple of slots after him. That said, even performing last in the semi wouldn't have seen him quality - it was way too bland.

RTE's only comment about 2017 is that they are reviewing their selection process with a decision to arrive in due course. I feel like they may try to go internal again, and country singer Nathan Carter was a solid rumour in the late summer but I'm not sure he'll take the risk considering he seems to be one of Ireland's most high profile artists.

One artist who I think would be up for it, and has timed her album release perfectly is Una Healy. A backing singer for John Kennedy in Athens, she has experience of the Eurovision bubble and her folky/country sound would suit Ireland perfectly and she is a solid performer. Zena Donnelly's similar sort of sound saw Ireland perform above all expectations to finish top 10 in Junior Eurovision last weekend. Perhaps Una is hoping she will have success as a Radio 2 style artist, but I can't quite see her taking off and Eurovision may be a platform she needs either in 2017 or 2018. She is also popular at RTE, being a coach on the Voice which I presume airs on RTE - do Ireland have any other big channels?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th December 2016 - 02:33 PM