BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Buzzjack's Top Musical Films Of All Time
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Dec 4 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #1
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

HYPE!

ANY PREDICTIONS/HOPES/DESIRES!?!?

(Like always, I'll keep a list in the opening post as the countdown progresses!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Dec 4 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #2
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

If half past midnight (when I get in from work) is going to be too late to put a quick list together kink.gif ..I hope Grease can win without my help

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Dec 4 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #3
IDGAF
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 8,661

Grease for the win! cheer.gif So many classic songs, it really is the musical of every single generation.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 4 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #4
c:

QUOTE(Styles Bilinski @ Dec 4 2017, 07:36 PM) *
If half past midnight (when I get in from work) is going to be too late to put a quick list together kink.gif ..I hope Grease can win without my help

I don't mind holding off and starting results tomorrow!! The more votes make the results better at the end of the day biggrin.gif cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 5 2017, 09:12 AM
Post #5
c:

(from Rent! Go and watch it!! laugh.gif)

The results have been counted up to Jahq's votes so here are the films that didn't quite make the top 40 cry.gif

Position / Points / Title
41. 46 FAME
42. 44 CAMP ROCK
43. 43 ALADDIN
44. 40 SISTER ACT 2
45. 38 MEET THE FEEBLES
46. 38 BEGIN AGAIN
47. 37 PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL
48. 36 PURPLE RAIN
49. 36 RENT
50. 35 MULAN
51. 34 ONCE
52. 33 SHOCK TREATMENT
53. 33 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005)
54. 32 LITTLE MERMAID
55. 32 WALK THE LINE
56. 31 BLAZIN SADDLES
57. 31 PRINCESS AND FROG
58. 30 OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR
59. 29 VIVA LAS VEGAS
60. 29 POCAHONTAS
61. 29 SCHOOL OF ROCK
62. 28 TANGLED
63. 28 ANNIE 2014
64. 27 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3
65. 26 THE KING AND I
66. 25 A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
67. 24 MOULIN ROUGE
68. 23 GREASE 2
69. 23 REPO
70. 21 LA VIE EN ROSE
71. 21 HEAD
72. 21 SOUTH PARK
73. 20 ROCK AND ROLL HIGH SCHOOL
74. 20 SOUND OF MUSIC
75. 13 NINE
76. 09 HAPPY FEET TWO
77. 07 THE BOOK OF LIFE
78. 06 MUPPETS MOST WANTED
79. 06 THE WIZ
80. 05 RIO
81. 05 GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES
82. 03 BRIDE AND PREJUDICE
83. 01 FOOTLOSE

Really shocked by some of these results, I thought the likes of "Sound of Music", "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and "Fame" where proper classic musicals and would have no troubles making the top 40 at least! I'm so shocked some of the Disney musicals have struggled here too, especially when you see some of the random animated musicals that have actually made the top 40, only on Buzzjack laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Dec 5 2017, 10:04 AM
Post #6
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

Some shocks there ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 5 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #7
c:

40. Beauty and the Beast
| 2017 | 048 pts | Biggest lover: 15th (Josh!) |

Josh's Song Highlight: "Beauty and the Beast" (performed by Emma Thompson)

The first musical to be properly revealed is the most recent musical to make the top 40 which is a decent little achievement for what seemed to be a bit of a polarising remake when it was first announced. If you don't know already, it tells the story of a young girl who is imprisoned by a beast but slowly begins to fall in love with him as they begin to get to know each other better.

It has been a massive box office success making over $1,200,000,000 worldwide making it the tenth biggest film of all time at the worldwide box office which is rather impressive indeed. I'm sure the original songs and visual effects could potentially give the film so awards chances in the next couple of months as well.

It received criticism for Emma Watson being autotuned and basically being a shot-by-shot remake of the original animated film but I personally really loved seeing the story be re-imagined in a live-action. It obviously doesn't hold a candle to the magic of the animated film but I think a lot of that is down to having nostalgia goggles and I know I would have loved this version every bit as much if I grew up with this one instead.

Josh's song highlight HAS to be "Beauty and the Beast" just because it's such a gorgeous song but I don't think Emma Thompson really kills it like Angela Lansbury does, hers will always be the only version worth listening to really.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Dec 5 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #8
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

Beauty & The Beast is fab! Definitely one of my favourite films of the year and another great Disney live-adaptation <3

QUOTE(Josh! @ Dec 5 2017, 09:12 AM) *
42. 44 CAMP ROCK
46. 38 BEGIN AGAIN
50. 35 MULAN
51. 34 ONCE
53. 33 CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005)
57. 31 PRINCESS AND FROG
62. 28 TANGLED
72. 21 SOUTH PARK
74. 20 SOUND OF MUSIC
76. 09 HAPPY FEET TWO
77. 07 THE BOOK OF LIFE
78. 06 MUPPETS MOST WANTED
80. 05 RIO
82. 03 BRIDE AND PREJUDICE
83. 01 FOOTLOSE

What at all these missing?! sad.gif

I really need to see Rent, Moulin Rouge and Walk The Line from the ones that missed!

Also feel personally offended at Tangled getting the same amount of points as that Annie 'remake' :////

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Dec 5 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #9
Sit Down. Be Humble.

I've not seen the live adaption of Beauty And The Beast yet but It is a must because Emma Watson heart.gif

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Dec 5 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #10
IDGAF

I haven't seen either version of Beauty and the Beast. Oops!

I forgot about Begin Again! I've only seen it once but I remember really enjoying it. A shame to see some of the classics miss the top 40 (again, I'm not familiar with a lot of the actual films) but Rent is my big loss there sad.gif Such a heartbreaking set of stories with an excellent soundtrack too.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Dec 6 2017, 02:11 AM
Post #11
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Dec 5 2017, 06:54 PM) *
Also feel personally offended at Tangled getting the same amount of points as that Annie 'remake' :////

The Annie remake was heaps of fun, shush!

I don't remember ever seeing "The Sound of Music" and I don't know if I have much desire to, as much of a classic musical as it is, the title track kinda annoys me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 6 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #12
c:

39. Dreamgirls
| 2006 | 048 pts | Biggest lover: 9th (UltraReputation) |

Josh's Song Highlight: "Listen" (performed by Beyoncé)

Dreamgirls originally began as a Broadway musical in 1981 and was eventually adapted in to a film in 2006 with an all-star cast including Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx. It tells the story of a Motown girl group named The Dreams and the highs and lows of their musical journey under their influence of their manipulative record label in the 1960s and 1970s.

It was a big awards success, scoring 8 Oscars nominations and winning two of those with even Jennifer Hudson taking home an Oscar for acting. Unfortunately, Beyonce was snubbed even though I would say she's the highlight of the cast but she did get a Golden Globe nomination at least. It was really nice to see her show of a bit more acting than we were used to at the time.

I only saw this recently after wanting to see it for a really long time and thought it was pretty brilliant. I always love these stories about bands and their troubles they face on the road to success so it had plenty of twists and turns to keep me entertained. I wasn't so sure on Eddie Murphy's acting but he was probably second in line for the Oscar win so what do I know?

I guess most people would go for Jennifer Hudson's big moment of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" as the song highlight but my loyalty lies with Beyoncé on this one with her gorgeous (and slightly less shouty) ballad, "Listen". Shout out to "Love You I Do" too for being a cheery upbeat bop music.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Dec 6 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #13
Sit Down. Be Humble.

Need to see Dreamgirls!!

+Quote Post
Severin
post Dec 6 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Styles Bilinski @ Dec 6 2017, 02:11 AM) *
I don't remember ever seeing "The Sound of Music" and I don't know if I have much desire to, as much of a classic musical as it is, the title track kinda annoys me laugh.gif

Agree about the song but that opening camera sweep down to Julie Andrews is incredible film-making

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Dec 6 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #15
IDGAF

I haven't seen Dreamgirls but have been meaning to for years! I really want to see the West End production starring Amber Riley so will probably watch the film once I've seen the stage musical.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 7 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #16
c:

38. Evita
| 1996 | 051 pts | Biggest lover: 5th (vibe) |

Josh's Song Highlight: "You Must Love Me" (performed by Madonna)

Evita first began as a concept album from Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber until it was turned into a musical in 1978 and eventually a film in 1996 starring none other than Madonna. It depicts the life of ex-First Lady of Argentina, Eva Perón, up until her death at the age of just 33.

It spawned a massively successful album official soundtrack as well as three top 10 hit singles in the UK. It was also nominated for five Oscars where it won one for Best Original Song with "You Must Love Me". Madonna also won the Golden Globe for Best Actress for her role as Evita.

This is one of the few musicals in the top 40 that I haven't seen but it has been top of my watchlist for a long time. I actually really love the soundtrack so I imagine I would like the film a lot too.

My song highlight could be any of the three big hit singles really but I think I return to "You Must Love Me" slightly more so I've gone for that. "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" is gorgeous too though so I'm glad that seems to be still fondly remembered by the general public.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 7 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #17
c:

37. Sing Street
| 2016 | 051 pts | Biggest lover: 4th (Jahq) |

Josh's Song Highlight: "Drive It Like You Stole It"

There is nothing I can do to tie-break this and the next film to be revealed so we'll just go for joint 37th in the final leaderboard. It was a rather lowkey release, making only $13 million worldwide but it seems enough of Buzzjack have seen it to score it a top 40 finish.

I've never seen it still but I think I would really enjoy it. I remember Jahq and Sam both raving about it at the time so I should probably give it a watch at some point. "Drive It Like You Stole It" is the song highlight by default as it is the only song on the soundtrack that I've actually heard, it is pretty catchy though music.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 7 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #18
c:

37. Sister Act
| 1992 | 051 pts | Biggest lover: 4th (vibe) |

Josh's Song Highlight: "My Guy (My God)" (performed by Whoopi Goldberg & the sisters)

Sister Act is much more of a comedy than a traditional musical but there are still enough songs in the soundtrack to qualify and it manages to place as joint 37th in the countdown here. It follows the story of a singer who is put on a hit list and must live life undercover in a convent in order to be protected.

Sister Act is one of the most successful comedies of all-time making $231 million worldwide back in 1992 which is pretty damn excellent. It spawned a sequel which did pretty terribly at the box office just one year later.

This film is loads of fun and I really wish I'd seen it earlier as I didn't finally watch it until earlier this year. I still haven't checked out the sequel but I would like to because I had such a hoot watching this. Shout out to Maggie Smith in this film for being fabulous too but obviously this film really belongs to Whoopi *.*

I've gone for "My Guy (My God)" as the song highlight here just because it shows off how funny this film is and it was probably the point I had the biggest smile on my face whilst watching the film heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 8 2017, 11:18 AM
Post #19
c:

35. Jersey Boys
| 2014 | 054 pts | Biggest lover: 13th (Jonjo) |

Josh's Song Highlight: "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" (performed by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons)

Jersey Boys is the film adaption of the 2005 musical of the same name. It was directed by Clint Eastwood but wasn't much of a financial success making only $67.7 million worldwide.

I haven't seen this film version but I have seen the live show on the West End and it was one of my favourites so this is definitely high on my watchlist. I wasn't really that familiar with Frankie Valli before going into it but I ended up recognising loads of the songs which added to my enjoyment too.

I still return to some of their songs regularly even now such as "Sherry", "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Walk Like a Man" quite often but "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" would have to be my absolute favourite so I've chosen that as my song highlight.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Dec 8 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #20
Together we are more.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,042

Jersey Boys is good, but I've heard it really pales in comparison to the stage show! The stage show is on my list to go see. So I'm really looking forward to doing it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 05:30 AM