BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 28th September 2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 28th September 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Hi everyone, here comes my personal top 20 for this week. Are LSD about to make it three weeks at number one, or have one of four new entries taken their crown? Let's find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 28th September 2018
© AM LIMITED 2018

1. (1) LSD - Thunderclouds
2. (HNE) NOW UNITED - Who Would Think That Love
3. (2) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
4. (NE) RITA ORA - Let You Love Me
5. (6) CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
6. (4) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
7. (NE) LAUV - I Like Me Better
8. (3) ALL SAINTS - After All
9. (8) NILE RODGERS & CHIC FEAT. CRAIG DAVID & STEFFLON DON - Sober
10. (5) DENNIS LLOYD - Nevermind

11. (9) MNEK - Correct
12. (7) CLAIRE RICHARDS - On My Own
13. (14) JOHN LEGEND - Preach
14. (10) NIALL HORAN - Finally Free
15. (12) HANNE LELAND - Fortress
16. (NE) AVRIL LAVIGNE - Head Above Water
17. (13) AMY MACDONALD - Woman Of The World
18. (11) ANDY BROWN - About Last Night
19. (15) GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun
20. (14) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Love Is You

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Three weeks on top now for LSD, as even with three strong new entries to this week's top 10, nothing for now, seems to be able to stop 'Thunderclouds'. However, more big new singles are out this week which I think may prove too strong a challenge for them to make it to a fourth week. But that's not to say they weren't run very close indeed by the single which is the biggest new hit on my personal chart this week.

Pop impresario Simon Fuller's fourteen-piece strong pop group Now United made a creditable top 5 debut at #4 back in July with their first single 'Summer In The City', which spent seven weeks inside my top 20 including five weeks inside the top 10, but the follow up 'Who Would Think That Love?' has got off to an even better start, making a strong debut at this week's #2. Their manager Fuller's biggest success on my personal chart to date of course, was on the ten number one hits he achieved with his similarly multi-membered popsters S Club 7 from 1999 to 2003, and then five chart toppers for the band's own Rachel Stevens when she went solo.

Sights of flying pigs have been reported this last week, which can only mean that at long last, Rita Ora's much pushed back second album - titled 'Phoenix' - is set to finally appear at the end of November. Her latest single 'Let You Love Me' is the second highest new entry at #4 this week. It's a return to her usual form, as her supergroup single 'Girls' with Charli XcX and others failed to make my top 20 when it was released back in May. Christine and the Queens claims her first top 5 hit as '5 Dollars' moves up a place following the release of her second album 'Chris' this week.

#7 this week sees the debut for 24 year old San Franciscan singer-songwriter Lauv. He has been riding high on Spotify charts worldwide for the last year, as well as supporting Ed Sheeran on the Asian leg of his world tour and penning hits for Demi Lovato amongst others. An utterly charming contemporary pop record, 'I Like Me Better' makes a creditable top 10 entry point, and we're tipping it for greater things yet.

It's now 16 years to the week since Avril Lavigne made her emphatic debut on my personal chart with 'Complicated', a record that stayed at #2 for three weeks in October 2002 whilst chart toppers from Oasis, Holly Valance and Las Ketchup all blocked her from a number one. She hit the same position again with 'Girlfriend' in March 2007.

Having been musically quiet for a while owing to illness, she returns to my top 20 at #16 this week with her brand new single 'Head Above Water' - her tenth top 20 smash, and first since 'What The Hell' peaked at #12 in March 2011. This release is the first off her brand new album, which will be her sixth, although a release date is yet to be confirmed.

**NEW FEATURE!**

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal chart looked back at a given point in the last 20 years. This week in 2007: Sugababes score their seventh number one, plus new entries from Feist, Katie Melua and Shayne Ward.

1. (HNE) SUGABABES - About You Now

2. (1) PLAIN WHITE T'S - Hey There Delilah
3. (2) ROBYN FEAT. KLEERUP - With Every Heartbeat
4. (NE) FEIST - 1,2,3,4
5. (3) RIHANNA - Shut Up & Drive
6. (NE) KATIE MELUA - If You Were A Sailboat
7. (4) GIRLS ALOUD - Sexy! No No No...
8. (5) PETER BJORN & JOHN - Young Folks
9. (NE) SHAYNE WARD - No U Hang Up / If That's OK With You
10. (6) FOO FIGHTERS - The Pretender

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 29th September 2018, 02:22 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JSG
post 29th September 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Heya! hi.gif

1. (1) LSD - Thunderclouds Great #1!
3. (2) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am wub.gif
4. (NE) RITA ORA - Let You Love Me This should be massive for her. I don't foresee anyway that it won't be.
5. (6) CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
6. (4) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
8. (3) ALL SAINTS - After All
12. (7) CLAIRE RICHARDS - On My Own
16. (NE) AVRIL LAVIGNE - Head Above Water Lovely!
17. (13) AMY MACDONALD - Woman Of The World
19. (15) GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun
20. (14) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Love Is You

Fantastic chart jump.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 29th September 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello ThePenSmith!
Nice seeing "Thunderclouds" still at #1 and the debut for "Let You Love Me"!
Great chart!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 29th September 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey there Alex hi.gif

My favourite new entry this week by a clear mile is the gorgeous 'Head Above Water' wub.gif can't wait for the whole album now and I really need to see her live tbh.

Great stuff happy.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:46 PM