Jump to content

Featured Replies

  • Replies 41
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunlight killin it http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/skypeemoticons/emoticon-0157-sun.gif

 

some love for MK, Say Lou Lou and Mausi! shame Radio 1 kinda just ignored the latter, what did you think of their song 'Move' though? ;o i slightly prefer Move but both are loads of fun anyhow~

 

yayyy for Gorgon City and ZHU in terms of the less-underrated ones here

 

  • Author
some love for MK, Say Lou Lou and Mausi! shame Radio 1 kinda just ignored the latter, what did you think of their song 'Move' though? ;o i slightly prefer Move but both are loads of fun anyhow~

 

I don't believe I've heard it, but I will check it out ASAP!

 

Also I'll get round to commenting on some others' lists when I've wrapped this up. ^_^

  • Author

15. Ariana Grande Feat. Iggy Azalea - Problem

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Ariana_Grande_-_Problem_(Official_single_cover).jpg

 

 

One of the defining moments of the summer, this random girl exploded with the insanely catchy and bouncy number. The horns and the whispered hook had me addicted to this for quite some time and it's stayed with me all year.

 

14. Years & Years - Take Shelter

 

artworks-000085232827-c61g87-t500x500.jpg

 

 

This was my first exposure to these guys, and since then they've raised their profile quite significantly. Nothing else I've heard has quite matched this for me, but I like all the singles and of course 'Sunlight'. I'm excited about where they go next year and for the album.

 

13. Klaxons - There Is No Other Time

 

http://cdn2.pitchfork.com/albums/20625/homepage_large.afe45202.jpg

 

 

I did like these lot briefly in 2007, but their sound was very of its time and Myths Of The Near Future gathers dust for me now. After thinking they'd been and gone forever, they came back with this banger and re-invented their sound (in part thanks to Gorgon City's excellent production work), and after hearing the Chemical Brothers produced track I was excited about them. Sadly the album didn't end up being up to much, but this is worth its weight in gold.

 

12. Tove Lo - Thousand Miles

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Tove_Lo_-_Queen_of_the_Clouds.png

 

 

The best track from my favourite album of the year and it's a good indicator of what the album's about. It's emotive, intense, heartbreaking and desperate. I'm hoping this is a future single, it's more than deserving.

 

11. Bebe Rexha - Cry Wolf

 

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_n5z79nfstv1qictjlo1_1400762508_cover.jpg

 

 

This was something of a late discovery from an artist I'm currently obsessed with, she's perhaps best known for featuring on Cash Cash's UK top 5 hit 'Take Me Home' (which appeared earlier in the countdown). This is for me a 10/10 pop song in every aspect. Ballsy, well written and with a punch chorus... those electronic synths too are delicious. Bebe has confirmed that this will appear on her debut album (assuming we get it).

  • Author

I now present to you, the top 5 most shocking moments in music this year.

 

5. David Guetta Feat. Skylar Grey - Shot Me Down

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/David_Guetta_Shot_Me_Down.jpg

 

 

What an ATROCIOUS, HORRIBLE mess. David Guetta is capable of goodness and Skylar Grey is a good artist, so on paper this should be good, right? No. A lazy re-working of 'My Baby Shot Me Down' with a drop that is essentially poundland 'Animals' (although he wasn't the only one guilty of that this year). I'll stick with the pretty spectacular Audio Bullys version I think.

 

4. DJ Fresh vs. Jay Fay Feat. Ms. Dynamite - Dibby Dibby Sound

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/DJ_Fresh_Dibby_Dibby_Sound.jpg

 

 

This is just noise pollution, a repetitve jarring mess that makes being deafened with a corkscrew seem like an appealing prospect.

 

DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY DIBBY... FUCK OFF.

 

(Video is kind of cool though)

 

3. Labrinth - Jealous

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/LabrinthJealous.png

 

 

This is a crime against music so bad that if it was punishable, Labrinth would get several life sentences dropped on him. For a start, with lyrics such as: "I'm jealous of the rain that falls upon your skin, it's closer than my hands have been", which sound like they were written by a primary school child experiencing the fallout of their first crush, and his strained vocals in that pathetic chorus which he isn't just pleading for dear life, but plumbing new depths of desperation and shedding of self worth.

 

If it wasn't for the X-Factor performance this would not have got anywhere, so it's a bit unfortunate that he had that platform.

 

 

2. Will.I.Am Feat. Cody Wise - It's My Birthday

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Will.i.am_feat._Cody_Wise_-_It's_My_Birthday.jpg

 

 

Produce a mindless, tuneless piece of drivel and get a random annoying child to feature on it. Go straight to #1. Well done Will.I.Am, well done Great British public.

 

I don't think even the most powerful of narcotics could make me enjoy this.

 

1. Jason Derülo Feat. Snoop Dogg - Wiggle

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Wiggle_Jason_Derulo.png

 

 

... no explanation necessary.

 

my faves so far

 

40. Marina + The Diamonds - Froot I really want some stuff like her old music. Primadonna in particular :wub:

39. Demi Lovato - Neon Lights Amazing! This criminally underperformed! An amazing song and probably my fave by her so far.

38. Christina Perri - Human And the most iconic music video award goes to... fantastic!

35. The Veronicas - You Ruin Me

33. Katy Perry - Birthday Katy had an amazing year last year and this year was no different. So excited to see what next year brings now!

30. The Magician Feat. Years & Years - Sunlight

28. Cash Cash Feat. Bebe Rexha - Take Me Home

26. Ella Eyre - Comeback

25. OneRepublic - If I Lose Myself (Alesso Remix)

24. Iggy Azalea Feat. Charli XCX - Fancy

21. The Veronicas - Cold This is lovely and I agree with you. This has to be a future single!

17. Ella Henderson - Ghost

16. Gorgon City Feat. MNEK - Ready For Your Love

15. Ariana Grande Feat. Iggy Azalea - Problem

 

Fantastic Eoy so far. :wub:

  • Author

Top 10 time!

 

10. Neon Jungle - Braveheart

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Neon_Jungle_Braveheart.jpg

 

 

I was unsure if we'd ever hear from these lot again after months went by since the release of 'Trouble' in 2013, but they came back with this surprise smash at the start of the year. An anthemic, bold track with a dirty bassline in the breakdown and who can forget the "stacking cheddar, chopping feta" part in the rap? Shame they squandered all the momentum they built with this.

  • Author

9. Sky Ferreira - I Blame Myself

 

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img843/9307/mujr.png

 

 

Having been a fan of some of her previous work (particularly the pop gem that is 'Obsession' and 'Lost In My Bedroom'), I was blown away by this powerful soul searching confessional, the minimalist production also compliments it perfectly. This could one day get its time to shine if it was featured in an advert or something, it's just too good to go by ignored and unnoticed forever.

  • Author

8. Indiana - Solo Dancing

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/Indiana_Solo_Dancing.jpg

 

 

This was a staple for me this year, with its hypnotising electro/dance groove and sultry vocals. Apparently they're going for a re-release of this any time soon, which is utterly pointless (despite nothing else she's done coming within a million miles of this for me)

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Right, I will try and get this finished off today!

 

7. Nicole Scherzinger - Your Love

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Nicole_Scherzinger_Your_Love_(Official_Single_Cover).png

 

 

Nicole really brought it with this unique sounding pop song which encapsulated the summer vibes perfectly, laden with insanely catchy hooks throughout and a simple but effective cuckoo-lite chorus, it's definitely the shining gem of what has been a disappointing era for her. The production is top notch on this.

  • Author

6. Paloma Faith - Only Love Can Hurt Like This

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Paloma_Faith_-_Only_Love_Can_Hurt_Like_This_(single_cover).png

 

 

Paloma has to be one of the world's most talented artists, and the moment I first heard this song it sounded like a classic. A soaring Diane Warren penned ballad which deservedly became her biggest hit ever this year, it never fails to give me goosebumps. The vocals in the second part of the second chorus are a total *.* moment.

  • Author

5. Duke Dumont - Won't Look Back

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/WontLookBackDukeDumont.jpg

 

 

Duke made it into the bottom end of my top 40 last year with 'Need U (100%)', however this for me is easily his best to date. A bouncy, bassy and anthemic almost ode to Black Box's 'Ride On Time', didn't quite become his third #1 unfortunately. The video is just as spectacular as the track, in fact all 3 videos have been thoroughly excellent.

  • Author

4. Kylie Minogue - Into The Blue

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Kylie_Minogue_-_Into_the_Blue_(Official_Single_Cover).png

 

 

Anyone can tell you I am a die-hard fan of Kylie, and she certainly didn't disappoint me with what has gone on to become my second favourite lead single behind 'Better The Devil You Know' and grown to become a firm favourite in her discography. Everything about this is perfect, the strings, the lyrics, the message of stepping out of darkness and finding freedom and light, the production and the rousing chorus.

  • Author

3. Sia - Chandelier

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Sia_Chandelier.png

 

 

Sia finally conjured up her eagerly awaited new solo material in light of numerous high profile collaborations, and this powerful ode to a troubled party lifestyle blew me away from the first listen and has not once failed to give me goosebumps every time I've heard it. I can guarantee I'll never get remotely bored of this song, it's truly special.

  • Author

2. Kiesza - Hideaway

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/Kiesza_Hideaway.jpg

 

 

I fell in love with this anthemic 90s sounding number at the start of the year, I remember desperately hoping it would even get a small bit of attention/success and telling everyone I know about it, so I was naturally delighted when it went on to become such a monster hit. What a bassline!

  • Author

1. Charli XCX - Break The Rules

 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Charli_XCX_-_Break_the_Rules.jpg

 

 

So it's the second year in a row my year end #1 has been a bratty pop-rock track which could conceivably be a cheerleader anthem, and the second year in a row my year end #1 has been an almighty flop in the real world. This carefree and effervescent track for me offered something different and refreshing in the pop world, it never fails to get me motivated for anything be it the working day ahead or getting ready for a night out, I like the way it sounds 90s with elements of stuff like Garbage and Republica. It has some real spunk! At least Australia have shown good taste recently in making this a top 10 hit over there!

  • Author

Full list!

 

40. Marina + The Diamonds – Froot

39. Demi Lovato – Neon Lights

38. Christina Perri – Human

37. Natalia Kills – Trouble

36. The Vamps – Somebody To You

35. The Veronicas – You Ruin Me

34. Tinashe Feat. Schoolboy Q – 2 On

33. Katy Perry – Birthday

32. ZHU – Faded

31. Mausi – My Friend Has A Swimming Pool

30. The Magician Feat. Years & Years – Sunlight

29. Kylie Minogue – Sexy Love

28. Cash Cash Feat. Bebe Rexha – Take Me Home

27. Sub Focus – Turn Back Time

26. Ella Eyre – Comeback

25. OneRepublic – If I Lose Myself (Alesso Remix)

24. Iggy Azalea Feat. Charli XCX – Fancy

23. Martin Garrix & Jay Hardway – Wizard

22. Kylie Minogue – Glow

21. The Veronicas – Cold

20. Moko – Your Love

19. Say Lou Lou – Everything We Touch

18. MK Feat. Alana – Always (Route 94 Remix)

17. Ella Henderson – Ghost

16. Gorgon City Feat. MNEK – Ready For Your Love

15. Ariana Grande Feat. Iggy Azalea – Problem

14. Years & Years – Take Shelter

13. Klaxons – There Is No Other Time

12. Tove Lo – Thousand Miles

11. Bebe Rexha – Cry Wolf

10. Neon Jungle – Braveheart

09. Sky Ferreira – I Blame Myself

08. Indiana – Solo Dancing

07. Nicole Scherzinger – Your Love

06. Paloma Faith – Only Love Can Hurt Like This

05. Duke Dumont – Won't Look Back

04. Kylie Minogue – Into The Blue

03. Sia – Chandelier

02. Kiesza – Hideaway

01. Charli XCX – Break The Rules

 

Top 5 horrors:

 

5. David Guetta Feat. Skylar Grey - Shot Me Down

4. DJ Fresh vs. Jay Fay Feat. Ms. Dynamite - Dibby Dibby Sound

3. Labrinth - Jealous

2. Will.I.Am Feat. Cody Wise - It's My Birthday

1. Jason Derülo Feat. Snoop Dogg - Wiggle

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.