Jade
Buzzjack's Sweetheart
-
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Currently
Viewing Topic: Sales W/E 15/10/2026
Everything posted by Jade
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
😮 oh wow! I think my non-'Vienna' favourites are 'Dancing With Tears In My Eyes' and 'The Thin Wall'. Intrigued to see how they do in the Pop Factor contest on here! I'm pleased that you also rate 'Vienna' and 'Blue Monday'! I agree 'Bizarre Love Triangle' is a discography highlight as well <3 jealous you've seen them live 🤩 Here's hoping it'll be a clean sweep of songs you like for this decade...! Love that we're in sync with those Jam and Prince favourites 💜 'True Faith' is brilliant so cannot knock that as anyone's New Order preference! 'The Winner Takes It All' is absolutely stunning ❤️ and 'It's A Sin' would be in my PSBs top 3 for sure. That must have one of the most striking intros ever! You're right, something clicked in my brain during that listen of 'Going Underground' on SyncTube, so forever grateful for that <3 I probably should've checked them out way sooner, especially considering their '60s influences as a group, but better late than never. Happy to hear both that and 'Blue Monday' would also make your own top 10! All shall be revealed soon... #mysteryandintrigue I need to refresh myself on your top 1000 songs thread but did remember 'Vienna' featuring in there! Great to see quite a few '80s acts in the Pop Factor this time. Thanks all for the comments <3 the 1980s concludes tonight!
-
Big Brother UK • Series 23
Yeah not feeling Omar so far either! There's something off about Lynx for me too, thought him mentioning women in the context of "breeding" was a red flag, gives off a bit of a sleazy vibe Overall a promising cast though!
-
Big Brother UK • Series 23
A heated argument over God being spelt as Dog backwards is the kind of petty drama I've missed on this show in recent years
-
Record of the Decade: 2016-2025 (Nominations Thread)
Yay!! My first round of noms... 2016 Ariana Grande - Touch It Paradis - Toi Et Moi Tove Lo - True Disaster 2017 BROCKHAMPTON - JUNKY Lorde - Homemade Dynamite Vitalic - Waiting For The Stars (feat. David Shaw and The Beat)
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • The Room Auditions in Rotterdam (Groups)
This looks like a strong bunch! I particularly love the choices for Depeche Mode, Fontaines, iamamiwhoami and Ultravox.
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • The Room Auditions in Rotterdam (Solo Male)
Lewis Capaldi off to a good start as that is his best song by far for me! I also like the Calvin Harris, Gary Numan and Sam Smith picks
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • The Room Auditions in Rotterdam (Solo Female)
Love the choices for Dido, Kate, MARINA and Zara! Colour me surprised 'White Flag' was deployed this early too 😮 she's definitely not going anywhere at least.
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
1980s #04 Ultravox - 'Vienna' (1980) #03 New Order - 'Blue Monday' (1983) I recently mentioned Take That's Progress era in my commentary for the Pet Shop Boys and it is once again relevant to the countdown - as the melody from my #4 choice for the '80s, 'Vienna' by Ultravox, was interpolated on the track 'Eight Letters' from that album! 'Vienna' originally dates back to 1980, when it appeared on Ultravox's fourth studio album of the same name. It was released as the project's third single right at the start of 1981. Ultravox members Warren Cann and Billy Currie, the latter of whom was classically trained, wanted to create something that sounded like it had been written by a late 19th century romantic composer. Lead singer Midge Ure was initially hesitant about the overly classical, romantic feel of the song and uttered the now iconic line: "this means nothing to me". Producer Conny Plank responded with "well, sing that then". Ure soon pieced together the rest of the lyrics and this song became about a holiday romance, in a beautiful place. However, he immediately puts a dark spin on this tale when setting the scene in the first verse, where the air is cold and there is an empty silence. I enjoy the juxtaposition of romance in a stunning place with a detached sadness, capturing the fleeting nature of this relationship well. Midge Ure also nails the vocal performance, which effectively conveys a melancholic mood and builds towards a soaring chorus. The production of 'Vienna' is just as breathtaking as the vocals. It opens with the futuristic, chilling sound of drum machines and synths, matching the coldness of the air in the story. The instrumental soon evolves to include some beautiful piano playing, which lives up to the rest of the drama in the chorus. The peak of the instrumental has got to be the break that transitions into an epic final chorus. The tempo excitingly shifts and the faster synths merge with a viola solo, which captures the intended classical, romantic moodboard perfectly. The song concludes with Ure's fading memories of that whirlwind romance one last time, accompanied by piano and synths. That heightened, cinematic pay-off is always such a rush. Midge Ure claimed that the soundscape of 'Vienna' was inspired by The Walker Brothers' 1978 single 'The Electrician'. I've just reminded myself of that source material and feel those eerie synths would slot perfectly into the soundtrack of A Clockwork Orange. 'Vienna' had to settle for #2 in the U.K. for four weeks, as it was initially kept off the top by John Lennon's 'Woman', then Joe Dolce's 'Shaddap You Face' infamously blocked Ultravox for three weeks. Ure was offered the chance to meet Dulce but declined, as he said the conversation around the song had already been dominated by that chart battle for 40 years, so he didn't want to spend his remaining years now talking about the two meeting! 'Vienna' was voted Britain's favourite ever single to peak at #2 when a poll was conducted by BBC Radio 2 and the OCC back in 2012. ... I'm pretty sure I've said 'Blue Monday' is my favourite song of the '80s in the past so it may come as a shock that two songs have now leapfrogged it in my affections. But it's still a 10/10 for me nevertheless. I think 'True Faith' is slightly more well regarded on the forum and I do love that too, but am especially attracted to the sound of 'Blue Monday'. Joy Division members Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook and Stephen Morris regrouped as New Order in 1980, after lead singer Ian Curtis tragically took his own life. They also recruited Gillian Gilbert as a keyboardist and second guitarist, in addition to Sumner's lead guitar. Their earlier singles largely feel like a sonic continuation of Joy Division, with a post-punk sound. However, 'Blue Monday' would signal more of a shift towards the dancefloor. It's no wonder I'm so hot on 'Blue Monday' when two of its biggest inspirations are artists who appeared in my '70s top ten. Firstly, this song has more than just a passing resemblance to the production of 'Our Love' by Donna Summer, another late '70s track of hers that was clearly ahead of its time. In addition to this, my beloved Kraftwerk can also be pulled into the conversation, as 'Blue Monday' directly samples the choral vocals taken from their song 'Uranium'. 'Blue Monday' is another track that greatly appeals to me due to its duality. On one hand, this is quite a dark song, as Bernard Sumner delivers a haunting vocal performance while embodying a protagonist who is feeling pretty down and abused. My favourite line is: "I see the ship in the harbour, I can and shall obey" due to the 'shall obey' / 'shallow bay' double entendre. Away from the words, the track has this relentless dance-floor ready confidence to it. Sad banger alert! This song begins with a commanding, staccato drum machine intro. The iconic, driving synth melody of 'Blue Monday' is then heard and padded with further electronic layers. Peter Hook's atmospheric, spaghetti western style bass is also introduced within the first two minutes, in addition to the haunting choral Kraftwerk sample, before Sumner finally starts singing. The remainder of the lengthy duration continues to be a masterclass in rhythmic structure and feels like the future of electronic music at this point in time. A truly timeless record. 'Blue Monday' had its own reference points and has since become one itself, even in the pop girl world, as Kylie Minogue incorporated the track in a mash-up with her own 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head', billed 'Can't Get Blue Monday Out Of My Head', of course. Rihanna's 'Shut Up And Drive' also samples the song. 'Blue Monday' is the best-selling 12" single of all-time and peaked at #9 in the U.K. as part of a lengthy run. A remix of the song dubbed 'Blue Monday '88' would chart even higher, at #3. The less said about the song's shambolic Top of the Pops performance the better...
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
Indeed, the band have quite a few political songs! 'The Eton Rifles' particularly comes to mind, especially as David Cameron once said it was one of his favourite songs *_* much to Paul Weller's amusement. Glad you're a fan of both 'When Doves Cry' and 'Going Underground' too anyway :) 'The Day Before You Came' is another great example of ABBA's 80s brilliance! Love that quite a few of us have mentioned 'One Of Us' as a highlight now. Thought you might approve of both those songs appearing :D with the impact of Trevor Horn and of course your very first Pop Factor act. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of '80s synth acts that have shown up this time, shall see if any get close to the success of Pet Shop Boys in the first edition. Hahahaha that is a very good point...! I liked to shoehorn music into any project where we had creative control. I thought you might approve of 'When Doves Cry' appearing here 💜 Ahh thank you so much for sharing the anecdote about following The Jam in the charts at the time, that is so cool 🤩 --- #4 and #3 coming later 🥳
-
Indie/Rock/Alt Track of the Week 2026: Week 37
Working Men’s Club of course 🖤
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • Boot Camp: Part One Results
Neither of my back-up choices were sent! Surprised Will Young didn't show up here for the men. Maybe 'Leave Right Now' was too cursed an option...
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • Boot Camp: Part One Results
Someone choosin' Texas
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • Boot Camp: Part One Results
and SuBo's cover of 'Enjoy the Silence' (loving those retro dark synth picks <3)
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • Boot Camp: Part One Results
Fontaines are my... ...revealed so far nice choice <3
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
1980s #06 Prince and the Revolution - 'When Doves Cry' (1984) #05 The Jam - 'Going Underground' (1980) The colouring for the '1980s' header in this thread may have been a hint that the Purple One was on the way! Prince's sixth studio album Purple Rain, which also doubles up as the soundtrack for the semi-autobiographical film of the same name, is a brilliant body of work that I'd certainly consider as one of my favourites of the '80s. Its track list includes the epic titular song, 'I Would Die 4 U' which was originally introduced to me through the Space Cowboy version as a kid, one of my favourite Prince album tracks 'Computer Blue' and two U.S. #1 singles in 'Let's Go Crazy' and 'When Doves Cry' - the latter is of course my top Prince song of them all. 🕊️ The gorgeous 'When Doves Cry' was inspired by Prince's relationship with Susan Moonsie, a member of vocal trio Vanity 6. He also needed to write a song for the Purple Rain film that incorporated both a love affair and a difficult relationship with his parents. Prince, ever the musical genius, was up to the challenge and wrote the song in just one night. Prince walks us through a relationship that is so passionate that even animals can feel the heat between them. But, despite all the love that's there, turbulent arguments persist. So doves are flown in as a contrasting metaphor to this behaviour. Prince looks inwardly at his own contributions to the relationship and this is where the themes of parental difficulties weave in, as he wonders if he is too bold and demanding like his father. His mother is also depicted as a woman who is never satisfied. I adore his vivid storytelling throughout the whole song. Musically, 'When Doves Cry' is unconventional, as Prince preferred the sound of it without a bassline. So one was not used. Instead, the song opens with a burst of electric guitar, then expands to a drum machine and synthesisers. Prince unsurprisingly performs everything on the track including the long guitar and synth solo on the fuller studio version. The lack of bassline makes the instrumental feel quite stripped back but it's still incredibly effective, providing an eerie feel. Prince also gives a striking vocal performance. His wailing noises towards the start of the track are quite a left-field introduction. His vocals generally match up to the emotional lyrics well, switching from conversational to a more tortured falsetto delivery. 'When Doves Cry' became Prince's first U.K. top 10 hit when it peaked at #4 here. MC Hammer also took a sample of the song back into the top 10, when his 1990 single 'Pray' peaked at #8. 'When Doves Cry' was recently used in the latest series of Stranger Things although 'Purple Rain' experienced more of a streaming impact from the show, even returning to the U.K. top 40 earlier this year. ... I can officially reveal that 'Going Underground' is my favourite '80s #1 single that was actually recorded in the decade. Kraftwerk would still take the overall title for me, but since they've been moved to the '70s, The Jam can enjoy a top 5 placing for this decade. My relationship with this song has been quite slow burning. I previously mentioned that my mum's first concert was The Jam but she didn't really introduce me to their music at all, for shame. I didn't actually do a deep dive into their catalogue until last year, but better late than never, as I properly fell in love with them - Paul Weller's voice, reliably sharp lyricism and guitar work, Bruce Foxton's bass and backing vocals and the late Rick Buckler's drumming talents. I think their track 'Funeral Pyre' was when I properly sat up and took notice of how great the latter was. Speaking of Buckler, here is another Smash Hits interlude, as I couldn't help but smile when I saw this in a letters section from one of my very early copies of the magazine: ❤️ The aforementioned deep dive revealed to me that Setting Sons is my favourite album by them, which is surprising, as their following (also great!) record Sound Affects feels like the more obvious pick as it is heavily inspired by The Beatles' Revolver. Setting Sons produced just one single but a pretty brilliant one in 'Eton Rifles'. This was followed by a standalone single release of 'Going Underground' / 'Dreams Of Children', although both have since been tacked on to physical and streaming re-releases of Setting Sons. I love the contrast between both songs but 'Going Underground' has really solidified itself as my favourite of theirs. I've always liked it but an obsessive period of spamming last year has catapulted it into proper all-time favourite territory. 'Dreams Of Children' was supposedly intended to be the focal point of this release, with 'Going Underground' merely a B-side, but a pressing plant error gave the two songs equal prominence and DJs chose to play 'Going Underground' more. The original plan seems unfathomable so I'm glad events panned out as they did in the end! 'Going Underground' is a scathing attack on Margaret Thatcher's Britain and tackles themes of war and class. I think "you'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns" is particularly powerful imagery where policies were concerned. Although my overall favourite lyrical moment is the subtle change between the democratic "the public gets what the public wants" and the more brainwashed "the public wants what the public gets" as the song progresses. Weller performs his angry lyrics with youthful vigour. Paul's slashing guitar is also a dynamic touch, in addition to the heavy bass and rush of the drums. Overall, it has an overwhelmingly energetic presentation and is full of hooks, totally irresistible to me. The Jam may have been 'Going Underground', but this was a real turning point for their chart career, after 'The Eton Rifles' had already been a sizeable step up for their success. 'Going Underground' was not only their first #1 single but the first track to debut at the top since Slade's 'Merry Xmas Everybody' at the end of 1973. A hardcore fanbase was ready to turn out for them.
-
Ultimate Survivor #15 : Round 4
Switching to Girls Aloud as well now but this is a great bunch
-
Streaming Services Chart Discussion; W/C 11/09/26
Spotify has updated and 'Stop The Wedding!' has now cracked the top 10, up to #9!
-
Nuggets 19 [Voting]
Voteddddd! My top few are really strong. I actually liked them more than my own song
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 • Registration
Could a list of men who were suggested in the form but not actually assigned to anyone potentially be posted to help any lurkers with some inspiration, if we're still struggling to fill those two spots? looking forward to the reveals anyway ❤️
-
Top 100 Best Selling Singles Of The 1970s
I think 'Mary's Boy Child' is the only song I like since I last commented! An uplifting cover version and festive staple.
-
PopMaster & Ten To The Top II
Round 1: 33 (didn't get: Robin Sarstedt) Round 2: 30 (didn't get: Golden Earring, Leif Garrett) 3-in-10: 3 (What's The Frequency, Kenneth?, Everybody Hurts, Losing My Religion)
-
Buzzjack Reshuffle Chart #899
+05 Olivia Rodrigo - the cure +04 Dolly Parton - 9 To 5 +03 Dua Lipa - Training Season +02 Tame Impala - Loser +01 Sam Fender & Olivia Dean - Rein Me In -01 Olivia Dean - Man I Need -02 Sienna Spiro - Great Expectation -03 Ella Langley - Choosin’ Texas -04 Stella Lefty - Boston -05 HUGEL, Imael Angel & Ultra Naté - Movin’ To The Sun
-
Jaz Ranks The 2013 Number Ones
My biggest takeaway from 'Get Up (Rattle)' is the ducks in the music video *.* I'd have the song itself a bit lower, but not bad. I really enjoyed 'Love Me Again' at the time (it even topped my personal chart) and still think it was a strong, soulful solo launch, but am not as keen as back then. I was amazed to find out how popular it still is around the world, with over 1 billion streams on Spotify 😮 John Newman followed by his ex Ella Eyre! 'Waiting All Night' gets pretty repetitive but I do enjoy the vocal and D&B production. That aforementioned BRITs was a great one for those collaborative performances, with the Lorde/Disclosure one too 🤩
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
'What Have I Done To Deserve This' has really crept up on me so I rate that as a favourite pick! My top PSBs song has changed so many times, what a discography. Agreed 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome' is fantastic in addition to their triple whammy of chart-toppers, they were on fire that year 🤩 Yay! Looking forward to sharing #6 and #5 later tonight ❤️ Oh wow 😮 although I've just reminded myself of what they released in that period, what a run. I can see why you'd feel that way - especially considering some of the lyrical content they touch on elsewhere in their discography. But I'm evidently attracted to this detached synth sound if my '70s top 2 is anything to go by I agree 'Two Tribes' has a strong energy to it. I'm happy to be more well acquainted with Trevor Horn's work in general since his rate on the forum :)
-
Jim ranks the 1991 UK #1s
I was aware 'The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)' is tied to Mermaids but I don't think I knew 'The One And Only' was from a film too! I feel like I should enjoy the former more, with its '60s origins, but I don't care for it all that much. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about 'The One And Only' either, but not bad. However, I really like 'Sit Down', 'Gypsy Woman' and especially 'Last Train To Trancentral' - all aboard, all aboard wooooah! 😍 so a shame all were blocked.