Everything posted by Jade
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 ⢠Boot Camp: Part Two in Bratislava (Solo Female)
01 Kate Bush - Cloudbusting 02 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Bittersweet 03 MARINA - I Am Not a Robot 04 Agnes - 24 Hours 05 Adele - Chasing Pavements 06 Zara Larsson - Can't Tame Her 07 Leona Lewis - Collide (feat. Avicii) 08 Robyn - Keep This Fire Burning 09 Jessie Ware - Hot N Heavy Ooooooh I just know that something good is gonna happen š What a lopsided relationship I'm having with Jessie Ware so far as I've now given her two 1st places and two lasts this was a strong round for sure.
-
SUBMISSIONS: Albums Multichart #554
01 Tinashe - Popstar 02 Cyst - į²į² 03 Boy Harsher - GET MEAN 04 Dev Lemons - hunting what we already killed 05 Fat Dog - Cancel Me (I'm Tired) 06 Phoebe Bridgers - Lost Weekend 07 Gurriers - Nobody's Coming To Save You 08 Olivia Rodrigo - you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love 09 Charli xcx - Music, Fashion, Film 10 Slayyyter - WOR$T GIRL IN AMERICA
-
Round 1 : End Of Year Survivor #154
Hoping that Elvis leaves the building first but specifically with ā(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such As Iā
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
We'll have to agree to disagree with 'Somebody I Used To Know' then, but to be fair, it really was everywhere so I can understand why the overplay would be off-putting! I do agree that both 'Video Games' and 'Born to Die' are stunning, though great vocals, lyrics and production - I particularly love the inclusion of the harp on the former and I remember the latter tripping some people up in one of my NMTBJ rounds in the past, due to the trip-hop influences. Perhaps 'Ride' isn't the most obvious choice of Lana favourite (this just inspired me to see where it is in her list of best rated songs on RateYourMusic and users currently have it in fifth, behind 'Venice Bitch', 'A&W' (this is definitely my favourite Lana song of the 2020s), 'Mariners Apartment Complex' and 'West Coast'. I'm surprised 'Video Games' is 'only' 8th there but it still has a strong rating of 4.26/5, so the site was seemingly spoilt for choice. I agree that song is such an accomplished, gorgeous debut anyway! Glad this reminder of 'Ride' was positive for you. The strings are just stunning indeed <3 both the song and its music video have such a cinematic feel. Oh yes of course, Gotye/Kimbra not only a multi-week #1 but best seller for the whole year, incredible! That and 'Crazy' by Gnarls Barkley really stand out as particularly unique EOY #1s in the 21st century. I agree, some ingredients there that probably shouldn't have worked on paper but it all came together so well. Thank you for the comments ā¤ļø the 2010s conclude this evening!
-
Big Brother UK ⢠Series 23
What a joke, so much uncomfortable behaviour in the house recently yet these two are up for... singing and organic food? lol
- Big Brother UK ⢠Series 23
-
Big Brother UK ⢠Series 23
Rob finding his confidence is my favourite arc of the series so far, hope he won't go anywhere
-
bjsc 189 ā¬ šŖ š¦ odds and predictions
Same, the build-up gives me a bit of a āEusexuaā vibe, which is fitting when twigs is in the contest too!
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
2010s #04 Lana Del Rey - 'Ride' (2012) #03 Gotye - 'Somebody That I Used To Know' (feat. Kimbra) (2011) Next up is another special artist to me (and my apparent celebrity lookalike) as I put Lana Del Rey at the very top of my list when Gezza ran the 'BuzzJack's Favourite Female Solo Singer' contest on here! Lana entered my life in late 2011 when 'Video Games' became a hit. This song had been sent to BJSC and even won the contest during the summer months but I was years away from signing up. I remember watching the DIY music video for 'Video Games' on 4Music and was utterly entranced. It made #2 in my personal chart where it was blocked by Coldplay and Rihanna's 'Princess of China' duet. But I loved follow-up single 'Born to Die' even more so that swiftly gave Lana her first #1 for me. Debut album Born to Die was massively impactful for Lana. The critics didn't properly warm to her shtick yet, but it was so popular, especially with chronically online Tumblr teenagers like myself. I cannot begin to explain how influential the likes of Lana, Lorde and MARINA were in this space. Born to Die still has a huge place in my heart even if I do think albums like Ultraviolence and Norman F****ng Rockwell! were more impressive showcases for her artistry. She's one of those singers who doesn't have a bad album for me which is pretty good going now her discography has expanded so much. Even my least favourite Blue Banisters still has its moments. Lana has soundtracked my life with so many songs and I finally got to hear her perform some of them live last year. I was originally supposed to watch her in 2020 but my Birmingham tour date was cancelled, not because of lockdown, but instead she was ill. So I patiently waited to see her in the U.K. again and my time finally came 5 years later when she announced some Wembley Stadium dates, better late than never! Her set-lists are a bit lazy and it was laughable that she disappeared for a few songs, to be replaced by a hologram version of Lana instead, but it was still magical to hear some of my favourites live for the first time. A sea of like-minded people all singing 'Ultraviolence' together genuinely made me feel 17 again. I also got to hear the Lana song I've always connected with most in the flesh, 'Ride' <3 Born to Die was such a bonafide success that Lana expanded it for us with a separate collection of songs called Paradise. The two would also be packaged together as Born to Die: The Paradise Edition. 'Ride' was chosen as the song to lead the Paradise EP. It was written by Lana and Justin Parker while produced by Rick Rubin, shockingly the only time she's ever worked with the latter. 'Ride' is about Lana's loneliness and how she finds solace in going on drives. I enjoy the lyrical duality of her recklessness with more peaceful imagery, particularly the first line in the chorus: "I hear the birds on the summer breeze, I drive fast", where's she's speedy but passes calming sights. She also explores why she is the way she is, with some familial context, such as: "dying young and playing hard, that's the way my father made his life in art". She also uses the word "daddy" earlier on in the song which is a reference to Lolita, much like AlizĆØe earlier in the countdown. I had plenty of teenage angst so particularly connected with the "war in my mind" line, but it still rings true, as a life long chronic overthinker. This manages to be a hugely escapist anthem for me despite the dark place it comes from. I love Lana's husky, soulful vocal performance throughout. She also switches things up in a breath-taking way on the bridge, vulnerably declaring lines like "I'm tired of feeling like I'm f*****g crazy" in a higher register. The final "I just riiiiiiiide" on that bridge gives me goosebumps every time. The production also shines. The beautiful piano and soaring strings give the track an incredibly cinematic feel. The music video caused controversy due to glamourising prostitution and violence, in addition to calls of cultural appropriation when Lana was wearing the Native American war bonnet. I've just re-watched the whole 10 minute experience (which has been compared to both A Streetcar Named Desire and Lolita) and particularly appreciate the more freeing scenes, especially when Lana is on a tire swing, but I can definitely see why the video was criticised for cultural appropriation - that headdress would not fly today! 'Ride' matched the peak of Lana's earlier song 'Blue Jeans' when it also reached #32 in the U.K. singles chart, in 2012. Fellow Paradise highlight 'Gods And Monsters' also had a moment in the 30s (#39 to be exact) later in 2014 when it was used in a trailer for EastEnders' 'Who Killed Lucy Beale?' storyline, what a time to be alive. ... My bronze medal for the 2010s is my favourite #1 hit of the decade! Australian singer Gotye joined forces with New Zealand's Kimbra to produce something magical. What a time for Kiwis with Lorde of course making my top 5 too. 'Somebody That I Used To Know' is yet another example of a song that was sent to BJSC a few months before it took off here. The song finished in unlucky 13th in that final during September 2011 and then entered the U.K. chart in January 2012. I distinctly remember its initial 97-36-21-7-3 run before it fully exploded into a chart topper for 5 non-consecutive weeks. I was quickly on board so it was a #1 in my personal chart during early 2012. This song was absolutely massive yet I surprisingly never tired of it. 'Somebody That I Used To Know' received my top marks when a rate of the 2010s U.K. #1s took place on the forum, which it also won, taste. I was again reminded of the song when RabbitFurCoat recently ranked the 2012 #1s and ended up playing it on a loop, such is its spell on me. It's quite something that the public embraced this to such an extent, but I'm glad they did, as it gave us such a unique #1 hit. Gotye's foundation for this song was a sample of Luiz BonfĆ”'s instrumental track 'Seville'. He then found the drums and started working on the lyrics and melody, including the wobbly guitar sample melody. He then took a break before returning to the session a few weeks later, now with a chorus chord progression, chorus melody and added sounds like the Latin loop, further percussion and flute sounds. But then he hit a brick wall. Gotye once again came back to the song in a third session and decided the way to develop it effectively was to write from the female perspective too. Aside from the 'Seville' sample, the beats and xylophone also play a melody based on 'Baa, Baa, Black Sheep', which sounds bizarre on paper but is oddly entrancing. The track is about two ex-lovers, who were once each other's world, but are now effectively strangers. The perspectives read as quite messy, as Gotye appears to believe the two of them just drifted apart, while Kimbra's character feels she was emotionally abused and called it off for that reason. I love the emotional depth to this storytelling. The way it's presented feels so special too, with a delicacy that is also grappling with a darker rage, both vocally and in the production. I think both singers deliver their parts with such nuanced passion and come together wonderfully with the harmonies. I always felt Kimbra's voice had a touch of Katy Perry to it. The music video is so simple but effective too. Firstly, Gotye's eyes are very expressive during the close-up shots. I also love the wide shots of the two vulnerable, nude singers being connected through geometric art - very striking. The stop motion effects are pretty cool too. 'Somebody That I Used To Know' has certainly stood the test of time with over 2.5 billion Spotify streams. It was also sampled on Doechii's top 3 hit 'Anxiety' just last year.
-
Cyst - į²į²
Not me being at the scene of the crime again after that Ela Minus EP thread š«£ can always count on u for taste š¤
-
bjsc 189 ā¬ šŖ š¦ semi-finals
During the contest I hosted last year I think about five different people tried to send 'Fleeting' by Sarah Kinsley
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 ⢠Boot Camp: Part One Results
My guess for Fontaines is Brer based on the song choices so far but who knows
-
Streaming Services Chart Discussion; W/C 02/10/26
Ashe is #2 on Spotify only behind 'Rein Me In' š„³
-
Deandria National Thread (Part 2) - currently looking back at ALL my entries!
I curated a couple of themed compilations for my nation (I'll stop being lazy and post about them properly in my own national thread soon so I don't derail yours too much!) and this one is 25 of my darkwave/post-punk/witch house etc. entries from main contests and spin-offs:
-
Deandria National Thread (Part 2) - currently looking back at ALL my entries!
'Malarone' an all-timer from Deandria and I really like Zanias' solo stuff too. I actually thought of that song a few days ago, as I put together a playlist called Jadakissnia: The Midnight Archive and it came up as a suggested song based on what I added. The recently mentioned 'Capitol' got my 18 (yay for my favourite winning out of such a massive selection of songs for the 100th) and 'Dr. Mabuse' was an amazing entry too <3
-
Cyst - į²į²
Cannot get enough of this collaborative project from real life item Iglooghost and Daisy* (fka BABii) at the moment š„š„š„
-
Fat Dog - Cancel Me (I'm Tired)
Banging album! TIL friends can be found on Facebook Marketplace x
-
Jester ranks the 2014 number 1s
I didn't join BJSC until 2015 so the vocal version of 'Tsunami' was the first one I knew. Therefore, I don't seem to dislike it as much as others even if the original is superior, now I know that as well. Much preferable to Tinie's last appearance here for me. It was quite impressive that 'Me And My Broken Heart' even managed to chart as high as #14 on the Billboard Hot 100, in addition to the #1 status here! I can see the Maroon 5 comparisons although I think their follow-up 'Wait On Me' was even more of a pastiche. I loved 'Problem' in 2014 but the horn trend has aged so badly for me. 'Love Me Harder' and 'One Last Time' from that era have stood the test of time much better. Ari's star power has also come a long way since that music video. Crazy how popular Iggy was for a hot minute, simultaneously occupying the top 2 Billboard positions with 'Fancy' and this, only to burn out just as quickly.
-
Round 3 : End Of Year Survivor #153
Oops missed the last round but going for that Fierce cover now
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 ⢠Boot Camp: Part Two in Bratislava (Groups)
Marianne oh Marianne 'Sanctify' is my favourite Years & Years song so very pleased to see that here!
-
The Pop Factor: Season 3 ⢠Boot Camp: Part Two in Bratislava (Solo Female)
'Bittersweet', 'Cloudbusting' and 'I Am Not A Robot' are all gorgeous choices
-
PopMaster & Ten To The Top II
Well done for top marks in the first round yesterday, Rollo! today's game: Round 1: 30 (didn't get: Simple Minds, M People) Round 2: 33 (didn't get: Randy Crawford, Tanita Tikaram) 3-in-10: 3 (Song 2, Girls & Boys, Coffee & TV)
-
SoundClash: One Hit Wonders | #15
Voted for Daniel Powter did anyone else unironically listen to the Alvin & The Chipmunks version of 'Bad Day' back in the day because same
-
Bop Idol 8 : Whole Lotta History - Results
Congrats Scene on the win! 26th is not the greatest result for my song oops but a far more satisfying outcome is my top 3 (Trance To The Sun, Modest Mouse and Kaku P-Model in that order) all finishing next to each other in the 8th to 10th zone on the scoreboard 𤩠fantastic picks from Brer, dhwe and uhsting. Thank you Rollo for a great hosting job.
-
Jade's top 10 songs of each decade: 1960s - 2020s (so far!)
I did wonder if you would appreciate the choral elements of 'Take Me To Church' too based on what I've gathered from your taste so far, yay <3 Choosing between Pure Heroine and Melodrama is liking picking a favourite child for me but I do appreciate how accomplished the latter is too, especially for such a young mind - "I'm 19 and I'm on fire" indeed! 'Homemade Dynamite' is my absolute favourite from it so nice shout there, I always nominate it in ROTD <3 'Writer In The Dark' is wonderful too, has quite a Kate Bush quality to it.