Jump to content

Jade

Buzzjack's Sweetheart

Everything posted by Jade

  1. Didn't get around to commenting in the last two topics (went for Newton and Andreas) but as I'm here early... DB Boulevard ftw
  2. Obsessed with 'I Do' right now as well so inject this project into my veins in a couple of weeks!!
  3. Jade posted a post in a topic in BuzzJack Song Contest
    Confirmed something apparently classified as doomwop x 🎸🎸🎸
  4. The viral 'Lush Life' dance being incorporated into Dani's routine
  5. Jade posted a post in a topic in UK Charts
    +05 Olivia Rodrigo - the cure +04 Dua Lipa - Training Season +03 Sam Fender & Olivia Dean - Rein Me In +02 Ashe - Stop The Wedding! +01 sombr - My Body Isn’t Ready -01 Sienna Spiro - Great Expectation -02 ADÉLA - Nicole Kidman -03 Ella Langley - Choosin’ Texas -04 Jamie Miller - Babydoll -05 Stella Lefty - Boston
  6. I'm enjoying this too! 'Roses' sounds like a natural progression from the Screen Violence era and I loved that album, so not a bad thing.
  7. Taylor's 'Patient Zero' is #1 on Spotify with 912k streams!
  8. Great to see them working with Clark! WANTING YOU'S SO OUT OF REEEEEACH
  9. 2000s Now we finally move on to a decade that I actually remember as it happened! Well, for the most part. The first song I can ever recall hearing around its time of release is the #1 hit 'Toca's Miracle' by Fragma, which has recently featured on BBC4's 2000 TOTP repeats. I mostly loved pop and dance music while growing up and my taste only began to skew more alt in my later teen years. I got into the Now! That's What I Call Music series as a 7-year-old, which mostly shaped my younger taste, in addition to some of the music my parents and peers were listening to. My first hint as to what is coming up is that my first ever volume, Now! 60, contains a song that will feature in this countdown. Okay, second hint - it's not Verbalicious, apologies. I pored over the booklets in those Now! That's What I Call Music CDs but did not start listening to the official chart run down until 2007 for some reason. I recall 'About You Now' by Sugababes being announced at #1 in the first top 40 show I heard on Radio 1. A chart geek was soon born. Some of the first artists I remember obsessing over as a little girl were Avril Lavigne (my first studio album was Let Go and I even made a fansite dedicated to her!) and Girls Aloud. I still have a place in my heart for both and even finally saw the latter act live in 2024, sans the much missed Sarah Harding. The girls were of course put together on a reality TV show which was a huge part of the 2000s music industry. Their coronation single was pleasingly refreshing but the general formula would soon become stale. There was still quite a lot of diversity in the top 40 during this decade elsewhere though - from pop, to dance, to landfill indie, to R&B, to nu-metal, to pop-punk, to hip-hop amongst other styles thriving to varying degrees at different times. At the movies, the 2000s birthed two of my all-time favourite films in Spirited Away and Pan's Labyrinth 🖤 I have a soft spot for this decade, that I entered as a 2-year-old and exited at 12, due to nostalgia. Let's move on to this new millennium, which features some enduring childhood favourites, plus other picks I've come to appreciate more in adulthood... #10 Alizée - 'Moi… Lolita' (2000) #09 Sigur Rós - 'Hoppípolla' (2005) Kicking off the 2000s is a pick that proves upbeat dance-pop music can in fact still scratch an itch in my brain too! 'Moi… Lolita' by Alizée is my first fully non-English language selection since Serge Gainsbourg's 'Cargo culte' from the 1970s. Like that song, this one also tackles a similarly taboo subject, drawing inspiration from the classic novel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I've watched the 1962 Kubrick adaptation (and since added 'Lolita Ya Ya' by Nelson Riddle to my chilled '60s playlist) but have never read the novel, although will endeavour to one day, as it is supposedly well written. The subject matter is disturbing though as the adult male protagonist falls for an underage girl, Lolita. Alizée sings from her perspective. Alizée was taken under the wing of fellow French singer Mylène Farmer, who wrote 'Moi... Lolita'. Farmer spotted her on a talent show called Graines de star back in 1999. She, alongside the track's producer Laurent Boutonnat, was on the look out for a young, fresh face to front a new project and thought she fit the bill. Alizée was just 15 when approached by the duo and turned 17 around the time of 'Moi... Lolita's release. This record is another that I appreciate for its duality. Alizée's fittingly youthful take on Lolita feels innocent yet there's a real darkness to the lyrics, given the contents of the subject matter. Similarly, the production consists of gorgeous, warm synths and strings with a particularly glorious middle 8 section, yet there is a dark undertone to the chosen chords too. I also think the French language makes this a standout hit. It's such an earworm and feels perfect to listen to in summer. I don't think I discovered this song until I was an adult but it quickly wormed its way into my affections. 'Moi... Lolita' achieved a #9 peak in the U.K. which is pretty remarkable for a fully French language song here. ... You wait for another non-English language song to appear and suddenly two show up at once! 'Hoppípolla' was released as the second single from Icelandic post-rock group Sigur Rós' fourth studio album Takk..., so naturally contains Icelandic lyrics, but also parts in their made up language Vonlenska (or 'Hopelandic' in English). The title translates to the rather whimsical "hopping into puddles" and the lyrics display a lot of child-like wonder. The group gave the song an early working title of 'The Money Song' as they were certain they'd written something that would achieve commercial success, a wise prediction. Lead singer Jonsí provides a reliably ethereal falsetto vocal here. The production is similarly spectacular and cinematic. It opens with a hypnotic piano riff and expands to include stunning strings, driving percussion and horns. This track soars to epic heights and leaves me feeling emotional without fail. My introduction to the world of this song was through the Chicane reworking 'Poppiholla' in 2009, which is great in its own way. But discovering the source material was particularly special. I've since listened to more work from the band and particularly adore their 2012 album Valtari. But 'Hoppípolla' remains their ultimate song for me and is a classic for a reason. The track's cinematic nature meant it was a perfect fit for media and was chosen to soundtrack trailers for the Planet Earth series. This exposure lead to a re-release of 'Hoppípolla' in 2006, where it managed #24 in the U.K. chart, again not too shabby for a non-English language song here.
  10. Love that we both have the exact same choice for #5! I'm currently listening to 'Paranoid Android' (as part of a general OK Computer re-listen) while typing this *.* love that, 'Lonely Soul' and 'Hey Boy Hey Girl' from your list too. There are a few here I'm unfamiliar with, so I think I'll go back and listen to all the lists everyone else has posted after I've finished counting down all my own choices. Oh yes I seem to remember Dandy saying 'Enjoy the Silence' is his favourite song of all-time, or at least a contender, taste *.* 'Hung Up' is another great Madonna song, was pleased to read about your love of it when you ranked the 2005 #1s, would definitely be in my top 5 singles of hers. Those pull from: Ray of Light ('Frozen'), Like a Prayer ('Like a Prayer'), The Immaculate Collection ('Justify My Love'), Confessions on a Dancefloor ('Hung Up') and True Blue ('La Isla Bonita') - so a testament to how many strong periods she had! That's not even scratching the surface of the Music era either, which is one of her best bodies of work on the whole for me. I think you would love Ray of Light (as well as Violator!) so that's great they're set to appear on Bucket List #2. So happy you appreciate 'Right Here, Right Now' just as much as me I've been listening to the source material of all samples in this countdown while composing my commentaries which has been really interesting in itself. Glad it wasn't just me who took a while to get into Radiohead! I think I finally took the plunge with OK Computer after 'No Surprises' won the #4s rate on here and never looked back. Never has an album shot to all-time favourite status so quickly for me, it's just that good. I agree it's timeless and those highlights are all strong. Absolutely love that Geography lesson anecdote 'Don't Look Back In Anger' is probably my second favourite of theirs <3 it has never tired on me despite being one of their more overplayed songs, including a play on the chart show just yesterday *_* I have shamefully never watched Trainspotting in full, only seen clips, but it's on my ever growing list that I'll get back to as soon as this countdown has finished! Excited to hear this amazing song in the context of that whole story for the first time. Oh yes I was there for that Moon Safari listening session as well! Can't go wrong with anything from that album <3 That is a really good top 10 🤩 an electronic heavy top 5 reflective of a strong time for dance. 'Sunchyme' was one of the very last songs I cut. Quite a few of yours were in my honourable mentions list but 'Children' and 'Zombie' are great shouts that I neglected to mention too. Eiffel 65 *.* Haha that's an interesting pattern! Shall see if it continues for the 2000s and beyond. They are all classics for a reason tbh! I find 'Wonderwall' a bit overhated but can also understand why overplay might grate for some. I'd forgotten what my votes looked like for BuzzJack's favourite #2 of the '90s, so just fetched them, my top 2 remain unchanged! This was my top 10: +30 Right Here, Right Now Fatboy Slim +29 Born Slippy Underworld +28 Sunchyme Dario G +27 Justified & Ancient The KLF Featuring Tammy Wynette +26 Music Sounds Better With You Stardust +25 Last Train To Trancentral The KLF +24 Common People Pulp +23 Confide In Me Kylie Minogue +22 Mysterious Times Sash! Featuring Tina Cousins +21 Children Robert Miles ^ I'd say 'A Design For Life' would probably knock either 'Mysterious Times' or 'Children' out now but generally static feelings four years on. Some classic #2s this decade Pleased to hear 'Viva Forever' is creeping up in your affections. <3 Oh wow at the solely classical phase! I think Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' wins the award for my favourite pre-20th century song 🤩 So much 'Unfinished Sympathy' love in this thread is wonderful to read. Truly robbed in BJSC back in the day indeed! Haha I suppose my own love of 'Frozen', as well as BuzzJack's in general, is pretty well documented! Those other guesses were strong shouts, although it's fun to have provided a swerve in the end. Glad you also rate 'Enjoy the Silence' <3 I look forward to seeing what your own '80s and '90s top 10s look like ❤️ excited to kick off the 2000s shortly... *.*
  11. Going with 'God is a woman' for favourite ...and 'Side to Side' least favourite, great video but have never been huge on the song
  12. A non-mover at #38 this week so has now spent 17 weeks in the U.K. top 40!
  13. Apple Music: 140 Madonna & Charli xcx - Danceteria Afterhours
  14. Afternoon all My top 3 songs from each throwback top 10 chart: 2025 01 sombr - 12 to 12 02 Sabrina Carpenter - Tears 03 Olivia Dean - Man I Need 2021 01 Lil Nas X - INDUSTRY BABY (feat. Jack Harlow) 02 Elton John & Dua Lipa - Cold Heart 03 Ed Sheeran - Shivers 2016 01 Twenty One Pilots - Heathens 02 Major Lazer - Cold Water (feat. Justin Bieber & MØ) 03 The Chainsmokers - Closer (feat. Halsey) 2011 01 Will Young - Jealousy 02 Olly Murs - Heart Skips A Beat (feat. Rizzle Kicks) 03 Damien Rice - Cannonball 2006 01 Shakira - Hips Don't Lie (feat. Wyclef Jean) 02 The Killers - When You Were Young 03 Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous (feat. Timbaland) 2001 01 Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head 02 The Supermen Lovers - Starlight (feat. Mani Hoffman) 03 N-Trance - Set You Free 2001 1996 01 Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever 02 Spice Girls - Wannabe 03 BBE - Seven Days and One Week 25 years since Kylie and Victoria Beckham were pitted against each other in a chart battle! 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' is fantastic
  15. Happy to see the Lorde and saviour so high up I was instantly fond of 'Royals' for all the reasons you stated and it's held up so well. Her career has been really special for me to follow, as we're the same age, so I feel like I've grown into adulthood alongside her lyrics since I was 16. I understand 'Royals' didn't perform too well in BJSC, before I joined, so the forum is not always ahead of the curve! 'Get Lucky' is amazing too <3 for some reason it was a slow burner for me so not sure what planet I was originally on. But it's timeless. Wonderful winner here! I think my own top 10 would look something like this: 01 Lorde - Royals 👑 02 Daft Punk - Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers) 03 Duke Dumont - Need U (100%) (feat. A*M*E) 04 Justin Timberlake - Mirrors 05 Naughty Boy - La La La (feat. Sam Smith) 06 Storm Queen - Look Right Through 07 Martin Garrix - Animals 08 Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball 09 John Newman - Love Me Again 10 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz) Great job with this countdown, Jaz 👏 I really enjoyed reading your thoughts.
  16. Well done John for the full house yesterday and Rollo for getting 39 in round 2! today's game: Round 1: 30 (didn't get: 1986 - one year out, The Detroit Spinners, Herman's Hermits) Round 2: 36 (didn't get: 1976 - oops really should've got that after Pussycat were recently in Gezza's '70s thread) 3-in-10: 3 (Play, Get Right, Jenny from the Block)
  17. Jade posted a post in a topic in 20th Century Retro
    'Innuendo' is one of my favourite Queen songs (probably top three alongside 'The Show Must Go On' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody') so I'm pleased to see it doing well here. It certainly feels like a non-#1 but a standout, refreshing chart-topper all the same. I particularly love the flamenco guitar solo and layered vocals. '3AM Eternal' is another contender for my own #1 their singles catalogue is bulletproof - my favourite is probably 'Justified & Ancient' but this is another 10/10, agreed the acid house sounds mixed with a stadium rock atmosphere is a pleasing combination. Just epic all while those lyrics are a fun time! I was so pleased when their stuff was finally added to streaming services at the start of 2021, albeit repackaged. One day I will get a copy of the manual, one day.
  18. I think the first Madonna era I can remember as it happened was Confessions on a Dancefloor and I was amazed to discover how much of a successful career she'd already had up until that point! Very impressive indeed. Glad you also rate both 'Frozen' and 'Like A Prayer' <3 the whole Ray of Light album still feels influential even now. A couple of recent-ish examples that come to mind is ROSALÍA's 'Dolerme' sounding quite like 'Swim' from that album + Addison Rae's 'Aquamarine' reminding me a bit of 'Nothing Really Matters' <3 what a genius William Orbit was. Brooding is a great word to describe 'Enjoy the Silence'! Hahaha that is burnt into my brain following Bré's revelation that he knew the SuBo version before the original That's a fantastic top 40 list btw I think plenty would be in my own if it expanded to forty songs. So, there are too many favourites to list there, but I just want to particularly shout out 'Rendez Vu' by Basement Jaxx, as I feel like that is a bit underrated in their catalogue nowadays despite being their highest charting song, plus 'Play Dead' - my fave Björk album is Vespertine but I'd say that is a contender for my favourite song by her overall <3 Unless I'm bluffing #mysteryandintrigue
  19. banner courtesy of Joseph *.* Chart #495 | 24.09.26 01. Working Men's Club - Devout [01-01] 02. Radio Free Alice - Crying With You [13-05-07-02] 03. Shygirl - Alyse [01-02-02-03-03] 04. Fontaines D.C. - Marianne [05-01-01-02-04] 05. Kidskin - HEAVEN [03-04-05] 06. Miley Cyrus - Different Religion (feat. Model/Actriz) 07. Sophia Stel - I Do [05-07] 08. Calva Louise - Con Corazon 09. Slayyyter - brand new chanel$ [01-01-01-02-03-04-06-09] 10. Shygirl - Lucky[Hymn] [09-10] 11. Cannelle - BB Blue [05-03-01-01-02-02-03-04-05-06-08-11] 12. Cyst - Pest [40-23-12] 13. Ela Minus and Nick León - qué les pasó a mis amigos? [08-04-06-06-07-10-13] 14. Angine de Poitrine - Sherpa 15. LONOWN & Asenssia - addiction [10-08-11-15] 16. tlen - patnik [03-02-03-04-09-12-16] 17. Troye Sivan - She's the Best [05-07-07-10-13-17] 18. STÜM - Smoke 19. Charli xcx - Magic Metal Montana [04-03-04-06-09-08-11-14-19] 20. Flawed Mangoes - Shooting Star [15-20] 21. After - Blind [12-16-21] 22. 1tbsp - Wish You Luck (feat. kid on air) 23. Cyst - Needle [18-16-23-20-17-23] 24. Marina Herlop - Jaque 25. Boy Harsher - Faulty 26. Miley Cyrus - Aftermath 27. Slayyyter - crank 2 [18-27] 28. Bleech 9:3 - Figure 8 [38-39-25-19-28] 29. Fiolka - Komu Ja 30. hemlocke springs - gloria! 31. Joe Goddard - You [20-31] 32. 2charm - making out 33. After - Snowburn 34. CAIVA - Head In The Clouds [14-13-21-34] 35. Olivia Rodrigo - the cure [08-05-03-02-01-01-01-01-02-02-04-05-07-10-09-14-22-35] 36. Tove Lo - F.A.M.T 37. Gilla Band - Alogia [24-37] 38. Gurriers - Pins [25-38] 39. Boy Harsher - Tough Luck (When You Don't Call) [19-17-28-39] 40. Adult DVD - Rolling Face [15-13-16-18-29-40] DROPOUTS xx Miley Cyrus - Bass Persuades [15-26-xx] xx After - Take Me to Sunrise [10-08-07-06-08-11-11-16-27-xx] xx The Big Moon - Three Things [30-xx] xx waist - bravado [08-12-19-31-xx] xx untitled - Tinted View [32-xx] xx Angèle - Une seule vie [24-32-33-xx] xx Ghostly Kisses - Fade from Me [25-22-34-xx] xx trentemøller - Terrified (feat. Jonas Bjerre) [17-23-35-xx] xx Ariana Grande - nowhere, nobody [05-07-09-14-18-24-36-xx] xx Olivia Rodrigo - serena joy [20-26-37-xx] xx Otik - Unquiet [38-xx] xx LONOWN & Baby Jane - alone with you [01-01-01-02-02-02-02-03-03-06-09-10-15-21-27-39-xx] xx AMARA ctk100 - Creamy [40-xx] CHART FLASHBACK (2013) 1. James Arthur - You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You [2-1-1] 2. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share 3. Avicii - You Make Me 4. Katy Perry feat. Juicy J - Dark Horse 5. Lorde - Royals [7-3-5] 6. Little Mix - Move 7. Lady Gaga - Applause [1-1-1-2-7] 8. Glee Cast - Hey Jude 9. Lady Gaga - Aura [31-4-6-4-9] 10. Lana Del Rey vs. Cedric Gervais - Summertime Sadness [1-1-2-2-3-5-10] Congrats to Working Men's Club for achieving a second week at the top with 'Devout'! thank you for the comments last week <3
  20. Jade posted a post in a topic in Personal Charts Archive
    banner courtesy of Joseph *.* Chart #495 | 24.09.26 01. Working Men's Club - Devout [01-01] 02. Radio Free Alice - Crying With You [13-05-07-02] 03. Shygirl - Alyse [01-02-02-03-03] 04. Fontaines D.C. - Marianne [05-01-01-02-04] 05. Kidskin - HEAVEN [03-04-05] 06. Miley Cyrus - Different Religion (feat. Model/Actriz) 07. Sophia Stel - I Do [05-07] 08. Calva Louise - Con Corazon 09. Slayyyter - brand new chanel$ [01-01-01-02-03-04-06-09] 10. Shygirl - Lucky[Hymn] [09-10] 11. Cannelle - BB Blue [05-03-01-01-02-02-03-04-05-06-08-11] 12. Cyst - Pest [40-23-12] 13. Ela Minus and Nick León - qué les pasó a mis amigos? [08-04-06-06-07-10-13] 14. Angine de Poitrine - Sherpa 15. LONOWN & Asenssia - addiction [10-08-11-15] 16. tlen - patnik [03-02-03-04-09-12-16] 17. Troye Sivan - She's the Best [05-07-07-10-13-17] 18. STÜM - Smoke 19. Charli xcx - Magic Metal Montana [04-03-04-06-09-08-11-14-19] 20. Flawed Mangoes - Shooting Star [15-20] 21. After - Blind [12-16-21] 22. 1tbsp - Wish You Luck (feat. kid on air) 23. Cyst - Needle [18-16-23-20-17-23] 24. Marina Herlop - Jaque 25. Boy Harsher - Faulty 26. Miley Cyrus - Aftermath 27. Slayyyter - crank 2 [18-27] 28. Bleech 9:3 - Figure 8 [38-39-25-19-28] 29. Fiolka - Komu Ja 30. hemlocke springs - gloria! 31. Joe Goddard - You [20-31] 32. 2charm - making out 33. After - Snowburn 34. CAIVA - Head In The Clouds [14-13-21-34] 35. Olivia Rodrigo - the cure [08-05-03-02-01-01-01-01-02-02-04-05-07-10-09-14-22-35] 36. Tove Lo - F.A.M.T 37. Gilla Band - Alogia [24-37] 38. Gurriers - Pins [25-38] 39. Boy Harsher - Tough Luck (When You Don't Call) [19-17-28-39] 40. Adult DVD - Rolling Face [15-13-16-18-29-40] Congrats to Working Men's Club for achieving a second week at the top with 'Devout'! thank you for the comments last week <3
  21. 1 - Working Men's Club - Devout 2 - Radio Free Alice - Crying With You 3 - Shygirl - Alyse 4 - Fontaines D.C. - Marianne 5 - Kidskin - HEAVEN 6 - Miley Cyrus - Different Religion (feat. Model/Actriz) 7 - Sophia Stel - I Do 8 - Calva Louise - Con Corazon 9 - Slayyyter - brand new chanel$ 10 - Shygirl - Lucky[Hymn] 11 - Cannelle - BB Blue 12 - Cyst - Pest 13 - Ela Minus and Nick León - qué les pasó a mis amigos? 14 - Angine de Poitrine - Sherpa 15 - LONOWN & Asenssia - addiction 16 - tlen - patnik 17 - Troye Sivan - She's the Best 18 - STÜM - Smoke 19 - Charli xcx - Magic Metal Montana 20 - Flawed Mangoes - Shooting Star 21 - After - Blind 22 - 1tbsp - Wish You Luck (feat. kid on air) 23 - Cyst - Needle 24 - Marina Herlop - Jaque 25 - Boy Harsher - Faulty 26 - Miley Cyrus - Aftermath 27 - Slayyyter - crank 2 28 - Bleech 9:3 - Figure 8 29 - Fiolka - Komu Ja 30 - hemlocke springs - gloria! 31 - Joe Goddard - You 32 - 2charm - making out 33 - After - Snowburn 34 - CAIVA - Head In The Clouds 35 - Olivia Rodrigo - the cure 36 - Tove Lo - F.A.M.T 37 - Gilla Band - Alogia 38 - Gurriers - Pins 39 - Boy Harsher - Tough Luck (When You Don't Call) 40 - Adult DVD - Rolling Face
  22. 01 Phoebe Bridgers - Lost Weekend 02 Olivia Rodrigo - you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love 03 Charli xcx - Music, Fashion, Film 04 Miley Cyrus - Bass Persuades 05 Slayyyter - WOR$T GIRL IN AMERICA 06 Overmono - Pure Devotion 07 Tove Lo - ESTRUS 08 Rebecca Black - Age of the Exhibitionist 09 Ariana Grande - petal. 10 Cannelle - CINNA
  23. Oh holding on to the podium by a thread
  24. 'So Good To Me' is my favourite #2 hit of the year as well. ❤️🦒
  25. Spotify has updated and this great '90s song is a new entry today: 141 bôa - Duvet