BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> BJSC XXXVIII Green Room, I'm sorry but I don't even know where Farahtyn is!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Martyn
post 4th September 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

Hello everyone, we would like to welcome you to Farahtyn for the very first time! Unfortunately our capital city Angel Grove is unable to host the final due to the irregularly high levels of alien creature attacks on the city, it isn’t considered to have a high enough level of infrastructure to host the BuzzJack Song Contest. Luckily the second city Westbridge will be hosting. Both the semi finals and the final all taking place at The Stadium of Light.

Provisional Dates and Times: (times are BST)

Semi Final Confirmation: 11th September 00:01 - 18th September 22:59
Semi Final Voting: 19th September- 25th September 17:00
Semi Final Results: 25th September
Final Voting: 26th September 00:01 - 2nd October 17:00
Final Results: 2nd October

Times will be added at a later, feel free to discuss the 38th edition of the contest. Speculate what Farahtyn is like. Plot your entries/revenge.

This post has been edited by Martyn: 5th September 2011, 08:20 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 5th September 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #2
Group icon
bye dinner
User: 12,972

Alien creature attacks ohmy.gif Hope your city is ok kink.gif

Got my entry already planned out. Hopefully it won't be another typical "k-pop that sounds the same and look the same" song biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Oricon: 5th September 2011, 12:03 AM

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 5th September 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

Considering pop led the way in BJSC XXXVII Batidas are now wondering whether to sell our souls to the devil and enter a pure pop song that we don't particularly like but is likely to appeal to all the pop FANZ. Or continue to stay true to ourselves, enter a track we like and risk being bottom of the scoreboard. biggrin.gif

The pressure is now off as there's no new BJSC record for most consecutive top 10s for a debuting nation for us to think about. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 5th September 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

*cue Mikey entering HandS*

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 5th September 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(Dandy* @ Sep 5 2011, 11:56 AM) *
*cue Mikey entering HandS*

Considering its status, I reckon HandS would be disqualified. In saying that, it's actually a really good imo so if Mikey did enter it, I'd be all for a Kylienips victory. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th September 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Sep 5 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Considering pop led the way in BJSC XXXVII Batidas are now wondering whether to sell our souls to the devil and enter a pure pop song that we don't particularly like but is likely to appeal to all the pop FANZ. Or continue to stay true to ourselves, enter a track we like and risk being bottom of the scoreboard. biggrin.gif

The pressure is now off as there's no new BJSC record for most consecutive top 10s for a debuting nation for us to think about. biggrin.gif

I'll never understand why anybody would want to do this in all honesty. Surely the competition element is secondary to introducing people to a song that you love and want to share with everyone, or perhaps it's just me that feels this way tongue.gif

It's so difficult to second guess what will do well in BJSC these days that it's best to just send something that you love and hope for the best imo. The top five may have been filled with female pop but there were also quite a few fempop DNQ's (Budtar, Allecian, Quotosibb etc) so it's very much a genre that can go one way or the other...

+Quote this post
LexC
post 5th September 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

The song I've got in mind is quite left-field and very much a departure from Previous Allecci entries

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 5th September 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Sundream

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Sep 5 2011, 12:26 PM) *
I'll never understand why anybody would want to do this in all honesty. Surely the competition element is secondary to introducing people to a song that you love and want to share with everyone, or perhaps it's just me that feels this way tongue.gif

Because people want to win, surely? tongue.gif

To me, 'Inescapeable' is ok but it's not that different to 'Louder' by Charice which only won three contests ago. Seeing songs like 'Riverside' and most recently 'Video Games' have been a welcome change to the type of tracks that win BJSC.

It's all down to who enters. If a load of "pop" nations dropped out for BJSC XXXVIII and were replaced by "indie" nations it would have a massive impact on who wins. BJSC XXXVII were mostly pop countries voting and the results reflected this perfectly. I reckon this is why Utopia didn't vote - he couldn't choose 10 songs he liked. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th September 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Sep 5 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Because people want to win, surely? tongue.gif

To me, 'Inescapeable' is ok but it's not that different to 'Louder' by Charice which only won three contests ago. Seeing songs like 'Riverside' and most recently 'Video Games' have been a welcome change to the type of tracks that win BJSC.

It's all down to who enters. If a load of "pop" nations dropped out for BJSC XXXVIII and were replaced by "indie" nations it would have a massive impact on who wins. BJSC XXXVII were mostly pop countries voting and the results reflected this perfectly. I reckon this is why Utopia didn't vote - he couldn't choose 10 songs he liked. biggrin.gif

Winning is the icing on the cake to sending a great, well received entry that you're passionate about and want to see do well. I don't see how anybody could get any satisfaction from winning with something that they don't like personally, but for me this contest has always been far more about discovering and sharing new music than anything else. Obviously if other people are more into the competition element than anything else then that's good for them but I think that trying too hard with entries, trying desperately to find a smash, often results in not getting the results that you may have been expecting. My BJSC motto is 'if I don't love it, why should I expect anybody else to' laugh.gif

BJSC winners usually have some sort of distinctive merit or individual sound/feel to them, certainly in the last year or so, and it's only in the more average contests with no real standouts where pure pop songs will usually find their way to the top of the pile. But it's a far better situation than two years ago when cheapness ruled and the great individual songs would almost always finish 2nd behind the latest 'about to smash in the UK' hyped up single. Admittedly my last couple of entries, as much as I love them - particularly Sunrise, haven't had a particularly individual sound to them, but I haven't really heard anything 'different' that I've liked enough to send recently.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 5th September 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

I have 3 songs in mind, but I don't know if 1 of them will be too well-known or not and get veto'd. I'm tempted to go for the 1 which is least well-known, despite the fact that this type of artist hardly ever wins. Decisions, decisions!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 5th September 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I have 4 songs I absolutely adore in contention for being my entry this month, it's going to be a tough choice.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 5th September 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Sundream

'Sunrise' is ok and I even gave it a couple of points in the semi finals but overall country/pop just doesn't appeal to me so the chances of me awarding 'Sunrise' any points in the final was always going to be slim to nothing. sad.gif

+Quote this post
LexC
post 5th September 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

I'm currently very much considering going scandinavian this month. smile.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th September 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Sep 5 2011, 01:33 PM) *
'Sunrise' is ok and I even gave it a couple of points in the semi finals but overall country/pop just doesn't appeal to me so the chances of me awarding 'Sunrise' any points in the final was always going to be slim to nothing. sad.gif

Luckily for you my feeligs on Somebody That I Used To Know went the other way! Still rather shocked that that didn't reach the top ten though in all honesty, even you were starting to get far more confident in its chances ohmy.gif It was always going to be a risky entry though purely because it's not at all instant for most people.

I have NO songs in contention for me this month, my personal chart is surprisingly dominated by chart hits at the moment at the top end. Loona vs. Le Kid for the 95th time, what an exciting choice! Something will reveal itself to me before confirmation closes though, it always does!

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 5th September 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

Do people think that is enough time for voting and conforming. Would people like me to extend the legnths for anything?

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 5th September 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

QUOTE(Martyn @ Sep 5 2011, 02:14 PM) *
Do people think that is enough time for voting and conforming. Would people like me to extend the legnths for anything?

That all looks good to me biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th September 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(Martyn @ Sep 5 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Dates are all perfect as far as the mods are concerned.

I do love the noobs talking about what does and doesn't do well in BJSC. Especially when the truth is that it varies so much on a month to month basis and if the song is good enough it'll do well regardless of what Genre it is or who the artist is.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th September 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Silas @ Sep 5 2011, 02:30 PM) *
Dates are all perfect as far as the mods are concerned.
I do love the noobs talking about what does and doesn't do well in BJSC. Especially when the truth is that it varies so much on a month to month basis and if the song is good enough it'll do well regardless of what Genre it is or who the artist is.

Definitely, what works one month does not work the next. The top fives from this month and last are utterly incomparable in terms of genre. I'm sure there will now be a flood of female electro pop in the next contest but it will almost certainly be something else that wins!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th September 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Sep 5 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Definitely, what works one month does not work the next. The top fives from this month and last are utterly incomparable in terms of genre. I'm sure there will now be a flood of female electro pop in the next contest but it will almost certainly be something else that wins!

Then I shall save my female electro-pop for XXXIX. tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I've found something in the last few days that I'm pretty sure on now. It's rather wonderful in my opinion, and completely different to my last entry.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th September 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

One of my usual sources of amazingness has been inactive for over a month cry.gif

My options thus far involve staying in Scandinavia for a second (Third if you count DNC) month

+Quote this post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 09:13 PM