BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> PIXAR RATE RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Juranamo
post 18th March 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #101
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

Not sure where to put this, but some people will be pleased to know The Incredibles 2 is being planned. Less will be impressed that a third Cars film has apparently been given the go ahead!

Source. (Not sure how genuine the source is; there seems to be a number of articles pretty much confirming the same thing, through a quick Google search)

EDIT: Disney Pixar's Facebook confirms it too, so must be true!

This post has been edited by Juranamo: 18th March 2014, 07:12 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 18th March 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #102
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

PLEASE let there be an Incredibles 2 still waiting on an actual Monsters Inc. sequel first though

Although, a Cars 3 is a major no-no, wasn't a sequel enough :/

(the top 2 in this will be coming as soon as I can get them done, sorry for the delay!)

This post has been edited by Rabbit Heart: 18th March 2014, 07:26 PM

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 18th March 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #103
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

To be honest, as much as I loved The Incredibles, I would much rather Pixar developed some completely new ideas instead of the current need to resort to sequels.

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 18th March 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #104
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

That was precisely it for me, too. As much as a third Cars film is ESSENTIAL for only my benefit, clearly for all those who collect their toy cars, I didn't think a second instalment of The Incredibles was on the horizon and would much have preferred some original ideas!

This post has been edited by Juranamo: 18th March 2014, 08:12 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 18th March 2014, 09:19 PM
Post #105
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'The Good Dinosaur' is next year as well as some untitled film about the mind! Really intrigued about the latter!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 21st March 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #106
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

WHO IS YOUR WINNER?

TOY STORY OR FINDING NEMO?

Rates:

11.0 Chez Wombat, Matt Aloud, HausofKubrick
10.0 Liam, *Tim, randomfurlong, troublepink, Mart!n, popchartfreak, Jonjo, Pavel, Davidson, Juranamo, PaulM1983, x Lewww x, Jakewild, Theo., joepassmore, JSG, ▲▲▲, RobinJuanPersie, CianS
09.5 Cameron
09.0 Johnkm, Calum Sande, Hair Balloon, Jester, Eyes, Griff, RabbitHeart, _Nick_, O Mie d'Bandit, richie
08.5 Math.
08.0 Mariah Scary, Harve, 152Chris, shindymindy

Well here we are then, your Number 2 is the original film that introduced us to one of the best (if not THE best) film studios. It holds the world record for being the first feature length computer generated films and marks a big shift from the traditional hand drawn animation which had still been very popular during the time the Toy Story was released (Aladdin, The Lion King etc). It could have been seen as a risk because of this but it paid off and CG has now replaced hand drawn animations with Disney's Frozen proving to be more popular than their last traditionally animated film The Princess and the Frog. Onto the actual film itself, it was able to introduce us to some of the most popular and well-loved characters among the Pixar series. It focuses on two main characters amongst a whole other load of interesting and diverse characters and tells the story of something that happens to a lot of children, getting a new toy that takes a certain place in your heart, threatening your love for another one. In this case, Andy is a child obsessed with cowboys and therefore his favourite toy is Woody. However, Andy gets spaceman Buzz Lightyear as a present for his birthday which threatens his relationship with Woody. Not only is this reminiscent of many a childhood, it can also symbolise certain relationships including friendships at school; it is another aspect that any child can relate to. Friendship is one of the main themes surrounding the film as well as the traditional good vs evil. Sid likes to have Frankensteinish toys by mixing parts together (that scene when they're trapped in his bedroom is so scary as a child!) and is the complete opposite of Andy, who cares for his toys. The concept of caring for people, both family and friends is another theme that the film explores. The film brings the thought of many a child's mind alive by actually suggesting that your toys are alive and interact with each other when you are not there. It's what makes the film so magical and symbolic amongst children as toys are ultimately the crux of childhoods. It holds a special place in the majority of people's hearts and it not only kicked off two more feature length Pixar films that reached the high bar set by it but also the Toy Story franchise. As previously stated, it is seen that the sequels are up amongst the high quality and people are still left wanting more. The characters are so good that, after Toy Story 3, there have been numerous mini-films following the lives of Woody & Co in their new residence of Bonnie's house. Toy Story is a true classic and a film that is highly regarded as being the best animated film of all time and amongst the best of the best.

Not much to say here really, flawless from start to finish, one of the best films of all time, never mind Pixar/animation
Wonderful movie.
The Toy Story trilogy is my favourite movie trilogy ever...1 gets the 11 for the nostalgia and memories <3
I remember how much I loved this as a kid. One of my best childhood films

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 21st March 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #107
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Rates:

11.0 Liam, *Tim, Harve, troublepink, Jonjo, 152Chris, PaulM1983, RobinJuanPersie, _Nick_, Math., O Mie d'Bandit
10.0 randomfurlong, Cameron, Mariah Scary, Chez Wombat, Hair Balloon, Mart!n, Jester, popchartfreak, Pavel, Eyes, Davidson, Juranamo, x Lewww x, JakeWild, Theo., joepassmore, JSG, Griff, RabbitHeart, shindymindy
09.5 HausofKubrick
09.0 Johnkm, Calum Sande, ▲▲▲
08.0 CianS
07.0 Matt Aloud
05.0 richie

That's it then, we have our winner! And it is VERY commendable to achieve the honour of Best Pixar Film considering how many of the Pixar films are held in such regard. This is shown by the fact that this very nearly achieved more than 10 as its average, it was only the last rate that brought this down. In a way, it incorporates many of the themes that have cropped up in Pixar films both before and after this was released; the main two themes are loss and growing up. We've already explored the opening montage in Up and the incinerator scene in Toy Story 3 but Pixar immediately hits us with a truly heartbreaking moment in the first scene before we even know anything about the characters, at least in Up, it felt like we grew up with Carl and Ellie. Here, we're introduced to two fish and their many, many children and within minutes, Marvin looses both his wife and the vast majority of his children; nothing breaks the heart more. This is what creates Marvin's overprotection of Nemo ultimately leading to Nemo rebelling causing him to become kidnapped. On his way to finding Nemo, Marvin finds the STAR of the film, Dory. Dory fell into everyone's hearts who were watching the film, she brought the humour with her forgetfulness and childlike behaviour but it didn't mean that the character couldn't bring in the emotional scenes either. She's the character that is rightfully the star of the sequel Finding Dory coming in 2016. The film also brings together many different worlds, yes it is exploring the fish world but Marvin and Dory's road trip allows us to explore the whole world of this rather than just certain aspects. We see the community of them through their home in the coral, the school and the road crossings but then we also see the sharks, the deep ocean, the jellyfish and the turtles. Conversely, while Marvin and Dory have this whole world to explore, Nemo is stuck in a tank in a Dentist's office where we have a whole different type of community. It creates a striking comparison between the two worlds and helps us to reflect on how we treat fish as pets. This is what also makes the film so interesting as it doesn't just focus on Marvin and Dory on their mission to find Nemo but the film actually tells us where he is and we look at how he is coping. It adds an extra dimension and also an extra threat as we know that Nemo will become a pet to the dentist's niece who doesn't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to fish. The reunification is lovely to see as well as Marvin's struggle and determination to find his son. It truly is a great adventure that packs together so many moments and is full of action, humour, tension, emotion and everything else that Pixar is about. It truly is worthy of the title of Best Pixar Film but as seen throughout this rate, that title could have been easily placed with a number of their films as they have created so many highlights and moments for us to enjoy time and time again and ones that can pass on for many generations to come.

The main drawback of this for me is that I find the dad to be a bit of a twat, which I guess is the point, but it just feels like it's more for story purposes rather than his actually being a believable character.
Nothing to say but massive wub.gif's regardless
My favourite film of ALL time <3
There's very little about this I dislike. Such a great movie. Charming, funny, sad, exhilarating, beautiful. Perfect.
I saw this for the first time a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it wub.gif
Sorry guys, I didn't like Finding Nemo much at all...but it looks like it'll probably come out on top anyway.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 21st March 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #108
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

So we've (finally) finished! Sorry that it took so long but my intention was to let each film have its moment, using it as a chance to discuss each of the Pixar films and to create discussion from the results. Hopefully you enjoyed it! Thank you for all the rates and for all your comments in this thread. It's nice to see the Movie forum growing in the last few months and I hope the activity keeps on increasing!

FULL RESULTS:

01. Finding Nemo | 9.9
02. Toy Story | 9.6
03. Toy Story 3 | 9.4
04. Up | 9.2
05. Monster's Inc. | 8.9
06. Toy Story 2 | 8.8
07. WALL-E | 8.7
08. The Incredibles | 8.5
09. A Bug's Life | 7.9
10. Ratatouille | 7.3
11. Monster's University | 7.0
12. Brave | 6.5
13. Cars | 5.2
14. Cars 2 | 4.6

This post has been edited by Rabbit Heart: 21st March 2014, 05:24 PM

+Quote this post
Qween
post 21st March 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #109
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I mean it's a great winner, but see my comment above as to why I don't think it's the best Pixar film.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 21st March 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #110
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Finding Nemo wub.gif
Definately the best movie Pixar created and it's in my top 3 favourite movies ever, only beaten by TLK 1 & 2.
So excited for Finding Dory also

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 21st March 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #111
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Finding Nemo isn't my favourite Pixar film if only because I feel most of what came after it overshadowed it, but it still very much has a place in my heart as it was one of the defining movies of my childhood, so I can't really be too mean to it.

Toy Story though basically WAS my childhood wub.gif Still every bit as endearing to me today as when I was 4 and first saw it.

Thanks for doing this, RH, really got me nostalgic and remember how great they are/were (I hope I don't end up thinking the latter any time soon sad.gif)

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 21st March 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #112
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

Really enjoyed this, thanks for doing it. I largely agree with the final results and definitely agree with the winner.

I though the other day that a rate of the original Disney Classics would be good, but even without the sequels there's so many of them. I forgot half of them ever existed.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 21st March 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #113
Group icon
Bitch of t seet

I would love for a Disney rate to happen! So many strong movies in their filmography wub.gif
(I could possibly host it if nobody else wants to)

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 21st March 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #114
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

QUOTE(*Tim @ Mar 21 2014, 09:50 PM) *
I would love for a Disney rate to happen! So many strong movies in their filmography wub.gif

That would be fabulous wub.gif

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 21st March 2014, 11:17 PM
Post #115
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

QUOTE(*Tim @ Mar 21 2014, 09:50 PM) *

I'd love it, it would be amazing, but my head's hurting just at the thought of trying to decide my favourites. Sweet jesus, it's going to be impossible.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd March 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #116
Group icon
User: 13,007

Cannot snuff at the film because it is incredible, but not sure how it managed to beat their peak. Thanks for this Rabbit Heart though, hopefully the start of a new trend in here.

Tim that sounds like a good idea. Perhaps we can discuss how to narrow it down a bit though because as has been mentioned there are TONNES of them, but we can sort that out separately via pm before you start it potentially? Woop.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 22nd March 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #117
Group icon
Bitch of t seet

Of course! I will PM you soon Haus

+Quote this post
post 24th March 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #118
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Pixar should be very proud of that incredible (wink.gif) top 8. I hope they can go back to making such strong films again.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 24th March 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #119
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Maybe we could follow that up with a DreamWorks rate? (Shrek 2 UP!)

+Quote this post
troublepink
post 24th March 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #120
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590

brilliant rate, i enjoyed reading through the thread biggrin.gif glad finding nemo won too

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:23 AM