BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Up, Second Single From Chasing Lights
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:35 AM
Post #1
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

The Saturdays - Up

United Kingdom #05
Scotland #04
Ireland #11
European Top 100 #18

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:38 AM
Post #2
🙄

Reception

"Up" received mainly positively reviews from contemporary music critics. It also received comparisons to music released by Girls Aloud, Mis-Teeq, Rihanna and Liberty X. The single was also described by the majority of music critics as a better song than the group's first single "If This Is Love".

Jamie Harper of musicOMH gave "Up" a mainly negative review: "[...] the verse to 'Up' sounds disturbingly like someone's pressed the 'demo' button on a keyboard. The result makes them sound like Liberty X's [...] younger sister. Elsewhere expect the standard pop formulas such as lyrics that don't really make sense, verse-chorus-verse-chorus song structure, and some actually quite nice vocal melodies."

Nick Levine from Digital Spy positively reviewed the song, saying: "[...] this quivering electropop track sounds like a smash, boasting a memorable chorus, sharp, modern production and the best use of sirens in a pop song since Mis-Teeq's 'Scandalous'. Up is where they go from here indeed."[9] Elle J. Small of the BBC described "Up" as "a massive sing-along song, which should make Girls Aloud very scared indeed".[18] OK! Magazine described the single as an "electro-tinged tune" and an "addictive pop anthem". Caroline Sullivan from The Guardian mentioned that the song was "high-quality pop" and "a delicious moment" on Chasing Lights.[19] Jacqui Swift from The Sun reviewed the track as "unstoppable stomping pop". Jon O'Brein of Allmusic said that "Up" was a "robotic disco-pop song" with "infectious quality". Johnny Dee from Virgin Media said that "Up" along with "If This Is Love" were the only "truly inspired pop moments" on Chasing Lights and that it "hints at Girls Aloud-style twisted pop slickness Peter Hayward of musicOMH described "Up" as a "slick, sassy number baring more than a passing resemblance to Rihanna's poppier moments."[22] Gary Ryan from City Life said that the "precision-tooled electropop" song surpassed the recent efforts of The Saturdays' girl group contemporaries; Sugababes and Pussycat Dolls.[23] Lauren Murphy of Entertainment.ie described "Up" as "bleepy, murky deliciousness".[24] Aimee Younge from Orange positively reviewed the single: "The Saturdays are back with a second, even better single. With classic '80s bubblegum pop undertones, 'Up' is a smart yet fun, catchy number that could just as easily have been recorded by Girls Aloud." Nadia Mendoza from The Sun described "Up" as an "infectious, addictive pop anthem with a catchy chorus". Popjustice described "Up" as "a world class song so brilliant that everything else is blown out of the water", further mentioning: "'Up' which, unlike 'If This Is Love', is much more than just a brilliant chorus with some other bits chucked in. What's also brilliant about the track is that although it's very excellent and very 'now' it doesn't sound like either Girls Aloud or the Sugababes, meaning that it's a song which wouldn't be released if The Saturdays didn't exist. Which in turn means the band are carving out their own little niche [...]".

Fraser McAlpine of the BBC gave "Up" a four out of five star rating, saying:

It's great. There's no question. It sounds like it is being sung by a team of close-harmony Rihannas [...] It's got a swing to it, and someone seems to be playing the same synth note over and over again, probably using their face, in a manner which suggests some obsessive-compulsive desire to see if it will fit all the way through, if it is played very often, and it more or less does. These are all reasons to cheer whenever the song is played on the radio.[

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:40 AM
Post #3
🙄

Favourite Live Performance

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:41 AM
Post #4
🙄

Least Favourite Live Performances

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:46 AM
Post #5
🙄

Buzzjack Reception

QUOTE(The 411. @ Aug 18 2008, 01:01 PM) *
Its quite good, but i dont see them having another top 10 hit with it, Issues would be a far better choice of second single.

QUOTE(Simon. @ Aug 18 2008, 02:47 PM) *
I can see the album reaching about #20 while Up will reach #24 or something.

QUOTE(PeytonDavis @ Aug 21 2008, 10:10 PM) *
Up is amazing!
I definately think it will peak higher than ITIL!

QUOTE(The 411. @ Aug 24 2008, 12:47 PM) *
Wow, really loving Up now, im still saying Issues is a better song though.

QUOTE(Silver Rocket @ Aug 27 2008, 06:57 PM) *
MUCH better. I hope it's a really big hit, it deserves top 5 at least.

QUOTE(Medicated Soap @ Sep 3 2008, 01:20 AM) *
There is honestly nothing special or interesting about this band...I gave them a chance honestly, but really, they're just gonna fade away soon. They're just so bland and blah.

QUOTE(Jack @ Sep 3 2008, 01:14 PM) *
The video is kinda $h!t tbh. I love the song though! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Jark @ Sep 3 2008, 04:34 PM) *
Was just coming to post that tongue.gif I love the vid now. Worst ever? Don't be so ridiculous Rob! mellow.gif It's camp and it's cheap but it will appeal greatly to their market. It also reminds me HUGELY of the videos for GA's Wake Me Up and Somethin Kinda Ooooh, as well as the UK vid for September's Cry For You heehee.gif Good thing though obv.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:53 AM
Post #6
🙄

Buzzjack Reception

QUOTE(Jake @ Oct 8 2008, 03:01 PM) *
Well you base those assumptions more on personal opinion than fact. 'Girls' is continuing to sell strongly with a top 3 position looking likely this week. It evidently has found some fanbase out there and what I've heard on the album is MUCH better. There's plenty of contemporary songs for them to work with for the rest of the project. As for Girls Aloud, 'The Promise' has already recieved huge support across the board. It could potentionally be their biggest single in a long time. They're as big now as they were when they began I'd say.

So I see no logic as to how The Saturdays would be left on their lonesome as Britain's sole girlgroup? :S

QUOTE(Josh @ Oct 8 2008, 03:05 PM) *
imo, The Saturday's don't work because they're just overall pretty boring. 'Up' is a good pop song, but look at them. They all look and sound like clones of eachother. Girls Aloud + Sugababes work as girl groups because each member has an 'individual' sound and style to them. The Saturday's don't have this (from what I can see/+ hear anyway).

QUOTE(PeytonDavis @ Oct 10 2008, 12:03 PM) *
No, you're still the tw@t.
I think you seem to be forgetting that this programme is what's known as EDITED.
Frankie acted like any 19 year old would. I am infact 19 and she was like most of my friends and they are not airheads.
I agree, it didn't shed the best light on her. But in no way did it make her look as bad as you are making out.
I might have known that the pair of you would have come in here and mouthed off, even if she'd have done one tiny little thing.
And what makes me laugh the most is that you two blatantly watched the show even more closely because she was on it.
It's pathetic that you sat there thinking "Go on love, make a fool of yourself and prove me right".

As for the not knowing the lyrics part, you know full well that she didn't write those lyrics.
He also gave her the lyrics to one of the hardest lines and the part of the song she didn't sing.

And your girlfriend's only 6 months older than Frankie... who's not much older than Jark... and you're almost twice his age...
Niiiice.

QUOTE(thisispop @ Oct 11 2008, 12:08 PM) *
I've avoided this thread for a while, because at the end of the day, I don't care THAT much.

For the record Up is a far more catchier single than their debut. In a strange way it reminds me of the PCD's breakthrough single Don't Cha in so far that I did not like song either but it was manifestly obvious that it was a very catchy tune and was certain to be a very big hit single.

If Up does not go Top 3 then it can only be because the hype has turned so many music fans and potential record buyers against them. To be honest I don't understand why it was not their first release as at least it comes close to matching the ridiculous overhype that their Record Company & PR have given for the band, because that has blown up in their faces amongst media critics (I love Andrew Collins review of the band & their album especially the bit about their record company now begging Girls Aloud to stay together - hilarious & spot on and lamenting the fact that no wonder the British music industry is in a bad way when fantastic "old school" (i.e. the Pre Stock Aitken & Waterman era of acts composing their own original pop music & playing their own musical instruments) pop acts like Ladyhawke & Ladytron get stuck on small independent deals whilst a Record Company spends 8 times as much money than was spent on marketing Amy Winehouse's second album manufacturing this poor man's hybrid of Girls Aloud & the Sugababes) because as Public Enemy once sung "Don't Believe The Hype", and there are few things worse in life than making ridiculous promises and failing to deliver the goods.....

As for the Buzzcock's appearance, well it is hardly the first time a member of a manufactured boyband/girlgroup has appeared on that show and been made to look stupid is it. To those of you who think it was a bad strategy by her Record Company, well just look at the iTunes chart and the fact their debut single climbed back up 40+ places in a day. As the old saying goes there is no such thing as bad publicity.

It matters not one iota if us "know it all been their done it, bought the t-shirt granddads" think they are rubbish, because they are not marketed for us but for a teen or pre-teen audience and if that audience likes it and gobbles it up then job done.

QUOTE(Jack @ Oct 13 2008, 05:53 PM) *
S Club 8 were awful, none of their songs were remotely good and haven't aged well AT ALL.

I'm glad The Saturdays look set to have success with 'Up'! They deserve to, it's a fantastic pop song and better than Sugababes and Girls Aloud's new lead singles imo!

QUOTE(PeytonDavis @ Oct 14 2008, 10:17 AM) *
And you ought to p*** off.
The single is at 4 in the midweeks, you did NOT predict that it would do that well.
Infact, according to you, Frankie's appearance of Buzzcock's completely ruined the songs chances of charting in the top 200.
Or it would seem so with the fuss you made over it.
Fact is, you just can't hack it because music that you don't like is doing well. Jeez, just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else will dislike it with you.
Same goes for us liking it and expecting you to like it, but this is just a vendetta FFS.

And where do you get off making this generalisation about people not liking them?
Look around the forum, it is crystal clear that many people do like them.
You don't get so high on iTunes off the back of the core fanbase.

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Oct 14 2008, 02:38 PM) *
I was looking more at the 'mainstream' or what happens to be the "big thing".... The opposite of The Saturdays, one can argue, are bands like Coldplay, Athlete, The Kooks, Razorlight, My Chemical Romance etc.... Pretty bloody uninspiring bunch compared to Happy Mondays, The Prodigy, Stone Roses, The Smiths, Nirvana, etc, if you ask me..... laugh.gif

And, honestly, can you actually point to any grass roots, mass "youth movement" just now that's actually inspiring; or challenging the older generation the way Mod, Rocker, Punk, New Romantic, Rave or Goth did...? THAT is my point.... You're all becoming slaves to the Cowell/Walsh/Manufactured MOR consensus, and The Saturdays are almost certainly a part of this..... Frankly I find it rather depressing.... sleep.gif

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 8 2015, 04:53 AM
Post #7
🙄

Current Reception

Despised By Buzzjack.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Feb 8 2015, 08:41 AM
Post #8
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Those responses! rotf.gif

I quite like "Up". I have fond memories of doing a dance routine with my sister when it was released. Surely this is up in their top four best sellers? wub.gif

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 8 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Up is great. It was SUCH a big hit. In some ways it was bigger than What About Us. It was released when sales were a lot lower and had a MUCH longer chart run.

It was everywhere at the time. Couldn't go to a club without hearing it.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Feb 8 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #10
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,335

It's a solid pop song I never bother to listen to anymore. It was fun around the time of its release, but they've thankfully released a lot of superior singles since then.

+Quote Post
JSG
post Feb 8 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #11
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

it is a good song but I do not like it at all.

+Quote Post
ḇlackout
post Feb 8 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #12
it was no one I had heard of
Member No.: 11,697
   No Gallery Pics

One of my favorites and it takes me back to high school when The Saturdays were widely loved.

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Feb 8 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #13
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

One of their very best, in fact it's one of the best pop songs ever. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Feb 8 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #14
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

First heard this in First Year at High School, memories!

I actually like the video, I think it is well shot, just a tad boring

+Quote Post
kye
post Feb 8 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #15
Aesthetic Party
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Wall-e @ Feb 8 2015, 04:53 AM) *
Current Reception

Despised By Buzzjack.

Wrong.

+Quote Post
Totto
post Feb 8 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #16
I was grindin' with the DJ with my hands on the floor!
Member No.: 20,441
   No Gallery Pics

Give back Queen Dawn !!!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 8 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #17
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

This is their second best behind Higher, still such a perfect pop song <3

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Feb 8 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #18
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

I know everyone has their tastes and opinions but I really, really can't see how someone can be a fan of this band and not like 'Up'! In 2008 when GA and Sugababes were doing 60's inspired singles, 'Up' was a complete breath of fresh air in how to do a f***ing epic pop single.

+Quote Post
Hurricane
post Feb 8 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #19
get me started, hot like fire
Member No.: 17,262
   No Gallery Pics

I used to love it back then, then think how it would be a bit overrated by some, and recently I just love it all over again.

+Quote Post
missingyou
post Feb 8 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 4,429
   No Gallery Pics

its a great pop song, but i don't listen to it that much anymore. intact, i probably listen to IFIL more :/

but at the time it was amazing and it sealed the deal for me and the sats.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 12:47 PM