BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision Song Contest 2016 · Green Room, All the news from Stockholm, Sweden
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post May 26 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Welcome to the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest!
10th, 12th and 14 May 2016

It's never too early to start discussing next year's Eurovision Song Contest and following Sweden's victory last weekend with Måns Zelmerlöw and 'Heroes', there is already lots of discussion as to which Swedish city will host the contest. Malmö hosted the most recent Swedish contest in 2013, and have already seemingly ruled themselves out of hosting a second consecutive Swedish contest but many other cities have already stated their interest including Gothenburg and capital city Stockholm. The latter's Tele 2 Arena is already the hot favourite to stage the 2016 edition. Furthermore, Sanna Nielsen, Gina Dirawi and Petra Mede and Måns Zelmerlöw have already been stated by Christer Björkman to Swedish newspaper Expressen as potential hosts of the 2016 contest.

ESC Today sums up the potential host cities and arenas below.

Last Saturday Mans Zelmerlow gave Sweden its 6th Eurovision victory with his entry Heroes, thus bringing the coveted grand prix on Swedish soil for the 6th time. The BIG question now is where are we going for the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest?

Sweden will have the honour of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest for the 6th time on home ground. This has sparked massive speculation within the Swedish media. Swedish newspaper Expressen reports that it is more than likely that the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Stockholm’s Tele 2 Arena, which is the hot favourite to host the event. Stockholm has a total of 4 arenas that could be eligible to host the 61st Eurovision Song Contest; the Globen Arena, the Friends Arena, the Tele 2 Arena and the Stockholm International Fairs Complex. Expressen goes on to report in their article that SVT has already been in contact with Stockholm and the Tele 2 Arena regarding the 2016 ESC host venue/city and informal meetings have been held with the city of Stockholm and other potential cities.

SVT has already had informal meetings with several cities regarding the Eurovision hosting even before Mans Zelmerlow won in order to evaluate all possible options if the country were to win the event. The Tele 2 Arena is a multi-purpose stadium located in the south of Stockholm just next to the Globen Arena at the Globen City in Johanneshov. It can accommodate between 30,000-40,000 persons and is well communicated. Swedish media is speculating that the Tele 2 Arena in Stockholm is the frontrunner in the race to host the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest.

Stockholm would be the ideal choice as its the capital city of Sweden and is well connected with numerous direct international flights, has a great hotel capacity and is well connected with a great transport system. SVT remains tight lipped and is expected to open the 2016 Eurovision host city bidding race in due course. Whilst the 2016 Eurovision bidding race is set to kick off, the announcement of the 2016 Eurovision host city is not expected to be made until mid summer, early August.

Swedish media speculate that Malmö's chances to host the event are low as the city hosted the event back in 2013 and Stockholm is the hot favourite with its Tele 2 Arena. It's early days yet as the bid is open to every city in Sweden and the potential bidding cities will have to comply and fit in with SVT’s and EBU’s requirements. Sweden has hosted the Eurovision Song Contest 5 times already: twice in Stockholm: 1975, 2000, twice in Malmo: 1992, 2013 and once in Goteborg: 1985.

The preliminary dates for the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest have been set to 10, 12 and 14 May and are subject to change by the host broadcaster.

Which city do you want to host the 2016 contest and who is your tip for the host or hosts? And will Sweden bring in any more "clever" ideas such as the producer-decided running order and the announcing of the winner before all countries have voted as they did in 2013? Will pre-recorded backing vocals, or 8/10 people allowed on stage be allowed?

So many questions, let the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest begin! cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post May 26 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
As a whole package Malmö's contest has been my least favourite in the past 5 years, but I hope they will learn from that contest to produce an even better event next year. I personally want Stockholm to host, the Tele 2 Arena seems very big in comparison to the last few contests but an even bigger arena works fine for Melodifestivalen so I see no issues with the capacity.

I'd be very happy for Petra to return as host although I doubt it will happen, Gina would be fabulous though. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jerick
post May 26 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716
Gina + Danny in Göteborg <3

Hope they won't put Denmark and Norway in seperate semis again....

This post has been edited by Jerick: May 26 2015, 05:18 PM

+Quote this post
*Tim
post May 26 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
Really? Malmö must've been one of my faves of the last years, along with Copenhagen ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post May 26 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Gina and/or Sarah Dawn Finer plz

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post May 26 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Copenhagen was the best ever in my opinion, but Malmö fell short for me in comparison to Düsseldorf (amazing arena, amazing stage, amazing hosts) and Baku (amazing arena, amazing stage, amazing song quality, unintentionally iconic hosts). Petra was fabulous and the postcards were great (and has seemingly started a very welcome trend of getting artists involved in the postcards) but the stage was the worst since Oslo and that is probably the key factor for me. Plus the fact they introduced the producer-decided running order and the announcement of the winner before the voting had finished. And I know it doesn't apply to most fans regarding their enjoyment but the organisation behind the scenes for the accredited press for example was a bit of a disaster which impacted on the ESC Xtra live stream that I love so much! kink.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
post May 26 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
The Sweden contest was like, my favourite! Everything they crammed into the final night, particularly the AMAZING interval acts that nobody has even come close to since, was just spectacular and really perfectly summed up the infatuation Sweden have with the contest. They really embraced every corner of fun around it. I love the new concepts they brought in aswell, the parts when they say "it is no longer possible..." are great because they really capture the shock of the artist right when they're told (as no doubt there's somebody sat with them telling them it's no longer possible before the hosts if it's left until the end). It created an amazing moment with Conchita.

Gina & Danny hosting would be all kinds of *.* But Petra was of course absolutely amazing too.

+Quote this post
Jerick
post May 26 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716
Copenhagen > Malmö >>>> Oslo > Baku >>>> Dusseldorf > Vienna

Copenhagen and Malmö were the best contests, but the Malmö stage was a bit boring
Oslo had great hosts and show, but the stage was too simple.
Baku had bad hosts, but the stage was nice
Dusseldorf had terrible hosts and the show was bad ( tbh I can't remember anything from it) the arena was great though.
Vienna, dont let me start on the hosts... Only positive was the French, but I can't tell cause I don't speak French. The stage was ok, but the show was boring... I was so dissepointed when the show was over, because it started so good with the classical opening show...

+Quote this post
Oliver
post May 26 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
Buzzjack trip there next year anyone?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 26 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I sort of want Gothenburg to be host so we have a nice round 2 hostings for each city but Stockholm is probably the more practical choice. And I expect flawless hosting from the Swedes yet again.

Malmo's hosting was my favourite of the ones I've watched! Petra stands head and shoulders above the other hosts and while the Copenhagen trio were competent enough Petra and the Malmo team gave some outstanding hosting from over the bridge. And I can quite live with the 'problems' you describe Ryan, they're innovations that there are nothing wrong with.

(also: bit keen aren't we? The corpse of 2015 hasn't even gone cold!)

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 26 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Malmo was incredible, the atmosphere was electric. I was there though so I'm biased.

Petra is the best host this century for me tbh. I only hope 2016 can be half as good (and deliver me anther We Write The Story style opening epic please)!

+Quote this post
LexC
post May 26 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
If the 2016 contest wasn't virtually guaranteed to be clashing with my Uni finals then I would seriously be considering trying to go to this. The hosting of the 2013 contest was (virtually) flawless and given that it's bound to be mostly the same people in charge of it my expectations will be high!

+Quote this post
p a v
post May 27 2015, 04:52 AM
Post #13
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Sanna PLEASE. get her to host like NOW. She was like my favourite MF host ever after Christine (that year also had Mans as the host oops~)

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post May 27 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #14
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
I think Sanna and Måns would make great hosts, but then Gina Dirawi needs to be seen by an international audience wub.gif Really though I'd like to go back to two main hosts. I see no reason for having 3, especially this year when Conchita was doing all the green room bits.

So yeah, Sanna & Måns as the main hosts and Gina for the green room gig would be my ideal scenario.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post May 27 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
Forum description needs to be updated kink.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post May 27 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Former winner hosting is getting a bit tiring so I'd say no to Måns hosting. SANNA OR DIE

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post May 27 2015, 09:43 AM
Post #17
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
QUOTE(Conderella @ May 27 2015, 10:39 AM) *
Former winner hosting is getting a bit tiring so I'd say no to Måns hosting. SANNA OR DIE

It's only happened 3 times since 2000 and Conchita was not a main host.

AND I WANT FRIGGING SANNA TOO

+Quote this post
p a v
post May 27 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #18
Group icon
But 2 times in the last 4 contests. There was a lot of Conchita this year anyway so she might as well have been. :')

+Quote this post
Vülker
post May 28 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #19
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222
Moscow 2009 was the best contest of the past 10 years if you don't consider the hosts.

RANKING!
1. Moscow 2009
2. Copenhagen 2014
3. Helsinki 2007
4. Malmö 2013
5. Belgrade 2008
6. Vienna 2015
7. Athens 2006
8. Düsseldorf 2011
9. Oslo 2010
10. Baku 2012

Maybe I'm a bit biased towards Copenhagen since I've experienced it a lot more than Malmö going to both contests, but it did feel like DR upstaged what SVT did the year before. I remember the Swedes wanted to downsize the contest to a degree, coming after what Russia and Azerbaijan spent organizing grandiose contests, but their stage was a let down, the logo and tagline underwhelming and the whole thing was saved by the flawless Petra Mede and her little sketches. It still reeked with class and professionalism so you can't fault the 2013 edition that much. Copenhagen was much much bigger and better in all aspects but the hosts (Pilou though, I still love you!).
For this I expect SVT to bring out all the big guns for 2016. I expect Stockholm, Friends Arena (why bother with Tele2?) and, dare I say, the first time(?) two men host on their own? Måns and Danny anyone? If they go for a female host then look no further than a return for Eurovision Queen Petra. If all fails then Gina should be there to rescue the day. Plenty of options for hosts there.
I expect a bigger push to allow more people on stage and pre-recorded vocals (it saves money!), a bigger push to get rid of the Big Five, I expect it to be the first contest not to feature the French language (apart from the French song) and social media to play a bigger role than before.
I also think Christer will try to go for a second consecutive win. After MF2013 there's no reason to lower the ante now and he really wants to go for Ireland's record.
Could we also see ABBA reuniting for a one-off special performance?
It will put Moscow 2009 to shame.

+Quote this post
p a v
post May 28 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Christer said they are going to downsize the contest even FURTHER in 2016. Oops

+Quote this post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:18 AM