BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Closed TopicStart new topic
> AFSC: Should Have Been A Single ~ VOTING ROUND
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Should Have Been A Single
Choose 1~
Devil Pray [ 2 ] ** [9.09%]
Devil Wouldn't Recognise You [ 2 ] ** [9.09%]
Gang Bang [ 5 ] ** [22.73%]
I'm Addicted [ 9 ] ** [40.91%]
Sky Fits Heaven [ 4 ] ** [18.18%]
Total Votes: 22

HausAlone
post Aug 29 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

So we've looked at your suggestions in the other thread and have chosen what seems to be the 5 most popular songs that you believe should have been a single.

We have two from MDNA which is fitting because it's the album that many believe had the worst single choices, one from Ray of Light, one from Hard Candy and another from latest album Rebel Heart.

This round is simple, choose the song from the 5 above that you think Madonna SHOULD HAVE released as a single. It might not necessarily be your favourite one but it's the one that was the biggest missed opportunity. Here's a reminder of the songs in question:

Devil Pray

Devil Wouldn't Recognise You

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

Sky Fits Heaven

Vote in the poll and discuss your choice below~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 29 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

This'll be tough lmao.

Devil Pray would've been the logical single choice instead of 'Bitch I'm Madonna'

Devil Wouldn't Recognise You is MY SECOND FAVOURITE album track from her and had previously been my favourite for some time (it's now beaten by 'Forbidden Love' Confessions version).

Gang Bang is a STOMPER but I much prefer I'm Addicted and feel it would've worked better so this isn't getting my vote.

I'm Addicted would've made the PERFECT album opener. It represents the album wonderfully and it's criminal it never got a look-in ;'(((

Sky Fits Heaven is in my top 3 on the RoL album. Stunning, stunning song but then the singles from that album were perfect anyway so maybe not the best choice for this...

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 29 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo

After weighing everything up.. for the most obvious single choice from the album it has come from: I'm Addicted gets my vote.

MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-MDNA-I'M ADDICTED.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Aug 29 2016, 05:39 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

It's so so hard to choose !!!

Going for gang bang even though devil pray is my fav song from the list !!

The video and remixes for gang bang would have been incredible smile.gif .

What great suggestions tho !!

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 29 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo

Nigh on impossible to choose but glad you're liking the choices! With such a huge back catalogue (the biggest of all forums taking part I think) the forum did very well in my opinion of putting forward fabulous choices. Make sure you're voting in the final contest vibe whatever we end up sending!

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 29 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #6
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Most of these are terrible.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 29 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #7
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(toby @ Aug 29 2016, 06:41 PM) *
Most of these are terrible.

Hush, vote for I'm Addicted something and then leave x

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 29 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #8
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

I voted for the one good song.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 29 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #9
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Gang Bang

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Aug 29 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #10
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

devil pray

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 30 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #11
Henrietta R Hippo

MORE VOTES PLEASE!

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 1 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #12
Henrietta R Hippo

It seems most people are in agreement about 'MDNA' having the most missed single opportunities laugh.gif

+Quote Post
vibe
post Sep 1 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Has this been rigged ?

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Sep 1 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It is unusual for Buzzjack to collectively make the right decision, but no, it's not been rigged! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Sep 1 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #15
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

Sky Fits Heaven wub.gif

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Sep 2 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend

Fantastic choices - regardless of whether they were all missed opportunities or not, all would have made great singles; they're classic Madonna with an of-the-time update and remain strong to this date.

Devil Pray I really thought this was going to be the fourth single from Rebel Heart (I recall it being pushed by radio in one or two European countries and several remixes were popping up) but, unfortunately, nothing really transpired. I suppose 'Bitch I'm Madonna' really put an end to the era and by this point she was more concerned with the tour, but 'Devil Pray' had the makings for an epic video and had the right balance of being radio-friendly (I actually think an edit like "And we can do ___ and we can smoke ___ and we can drink ___ / And we can sniff ___ and we can do ___ and we can drop ___" would sound alright!) and having typical Madonna elements. At least they got the first two singles spot on.

Devil Wouldn't Recognise You This is so majestic and haunting, really grabs your attention and keeps you transfixed throughout. Definitely a successful collaboration of Madonna's style with the sound of Timberland and the great Danja. This too could have had a truly magnificent video, perhaps more so than 'Devil Pray', and I'd have replaced 'Miles Away' for this if only she made an effort - we know that Madonna was touring by this point so there was only a half-arsed push for 'Miles Away' and I wouldn't have wanted that for 'Devil'.

Gang Bang I was blown away the first time I heard this, even with my 14-year-old-self's narrow pop tastes. Such a change in direction after the happy-clappy girls wanna have fun anthem of 'Girl Gone Wild' and I really loved it for that. Such suspense and excitement; it's like Nancy Sinatra meets Quentin Tarantino (see this) and you just know someone is in real trouble. The song slowly builds up over the course of a minute and a half with that same pulsing beat and it is great to hear that sort of self-assurance in a Madonna song again. Even the cliches of "fish out of water" and "bat out of hell" sound menacing in her delivery. The atmosphere intensifies with the first chorus and second verse, yet it still remains restrained enough to make you think something even bigger is to come. A dubstep breakdown in a Madonna song reads like she's well and truly succumbed to trend-chasing, but it sounds so inspired here and adds to the aggression of the song. The whole monologue part at the end and the deranged "DRIVE BITCH" is absolutely bat-shit crazy but just so iconic. Adore the whole package here and I'm gutted we didn't get a video for this - that, for sure, is one of the biggest missed opportunities of her career. It's perhaps too bold and out there to be lead single but, at the same time, I would have been ecstatic if this was the first taste of the new era we got. Could you just imagine the craze and hype everywhere?! SO much better than the flat, overly lovey-dovey and narcissistic 'Give Me All Your Luvin''.

I'm Addicted This is what should have been the lead single to MDNA. A huge dance banger that really gets the blood racing; definitely the best representation of what the album was meant to be. I love the drop with "I need to dance..." and the chant of "MDMA" at the end (I always thought she was alternating between "MDMA and "MDNA") is just so strong - that's how you do a chant, not this "LUV MADONNA" cheerleader rubbish. I never get the impression that this is "generic" or "trend-chasing" but I could also see it fitting in well with the music market of the time, just, as expected with Madonna, better than the rest. This gets my vote for biggest missed opportunity because it would have put Madonna in a much better position for the era instead of 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' which people felt embarrassed by. This is also how I'd have marketed the era: 'Masterpiece' in September 2011, 'I'm Addicted' (as the album lead single) in January 2012, 'Gang Bang' in April 2012, 'Love Spent' in August 2012.

Sky Fits Heaven One of the strongest of the strong album tracks from Ray of Light. I think this definitely was the best choice for a single out of what was left; it has some incredible production moments (like that effect that sounds like someone rattling a metal bin followed by a machine gun-esque sound, just before the third verse) and gorgeous vocal melodies. However, I don't see this as a missed opportunity because the singles that were chosen were perfect and I wouldn't have changed them at all. I suppose one may suggest replacing 'Nothing Really Matters' for this as they both tackle similar themes and have uplifting production, but the aforementioned is a personal favourite of mine.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Sep 2 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I'm Addicted.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 2 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #18
Henrietta R Hippo

This is open until Sunday by the way! We'll know our entry for the contest then *.*

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Sep 4 2016, 12:30 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend

Last day to vote!

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 4 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #20
Henrietta R Hippo

Closing this now! Thanks to all the voters, we HAVE A SONG <3

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:30 PM