BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mel B - Seahorse on The Masked Singer UK, + Jellyfish on Spanish version
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
tommie
post Dec 19 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
QUOTE(vibe @ Dec 19 2020, 09:04 PM) *
Expect to see her in unusual places in 2021 was also mentioned. Hmmm i am thinking is she taking part in the masked singer ?

Her participating in the Masked Singer, especially US, would be huge for her, even if I'm sure fans will see it as a step down. It only films in like three weeks, so it's possible.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post Dec 19 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
UK version series 2 starts Boxing Day of The Masked Singer.

+Quote this post
Alberto!
post Dec 19 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 39,843
The USA version of TMS is HUGE though, through the 4 series so far they've had the likes of Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, LeAnn Rimes, Patti LaBelle, Michelle Williams, Nick Carter to name the names I'm most familiar with.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Dec 19 2020, 11:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
I know they get really huge, well respected names and that is impressive but it's really an uninspired concept to me. I'm not quite sure I understand the appeal dry.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post Dec 19 2020, 11:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
To be fair, it doesn't matter what we feel about the programme as such; it's hugely successful and would bring her attention.

Plus, her being co-operative with those sort of producers might mean she gets more opportunities in the future; Kylie gets to perform regularly on Dancing With The Stars as an example despite being fairly minor star in the US because she/her team has a good relationship with the producers. The casting agents for Masked Singer is the same team as casts for a variety of reality shows, so it could open doors for her (though we're getting ahead of ourselves - nothing has been confirmed).

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Dec 20 2020, 05:48 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
The UK version did jack shit for Nicola from Girls alouds career.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Dec 20 2020, 07:36 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 06:48 AM) *

I don't think anyone is expecting her sales to suddenly start rocketing up, but she's an indie artist so any mainstream exposure is good exposure and making connections with people who cast these shows is a good thing.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post Dec 20 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 05:48 AM) *

Did it though. She never released any new material to capitalize on winning if she had then maybe we would know if it had any impact at all.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Dec 20 2020, 09:08 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 06:48 AM) *

We don't really know do we. She was set to star in a big West End show right after The Masked Singer which obviously got cancelled due to the pandemic. It definitely did help raise her profile as she was in the top 10 most searched celebrities on Google in the UK this year.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Dec 20 2020, 10:02 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
West end shows Melanie C can get any way if she wanted to commit to that kind of grueling schedule again (which I don't think she does).

I don't think being Googled loads is the great sign you think it is, just millions of people wondering who on earth she was.

Also her having released no music since it isn't exactly a good sign, I mean yeah there is a pandemic but loads of artists have still released music.

I honestly don't see what Mel C would gain from it bar a short lived shot of exposure. If she wants to do a reality show for the profile boost (and potential boost to her music career) then take the strictly cheque we know she gets offered every year.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Dec 20 2020, 11:11 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 11:02 AM) *
Also her having released no music since it isn't exactly a good sign, I mean yeah there is a pandemic but loads of artists have still released music.

I honestly don't see what Mel C would gain from it bar a short lived shot of exposure. If she wants to do a reality show for the profile boost (and potential boost to her music career) then take the strictly cheque we know she gets offered every year.

Again, Nicola had no releases tying into her appearance on The Masked Singer, hence why nothing really happened because there was nothing to begin with. She appeared for the cheque, which is fair enough.

Mel would (hopefully) get a boost from that exposure and selling a couple of hundred copies of Melanie C for a few weeks, which would be better than not selling at all. Add that the younger audience might look up her Spotify, so hopefully a bit of a boost in those numbers too. Then you have the fact that Masked Singer shoots its entire season in like 2-3 weeks, so it wouldn't be a huge commitment for her that doing a show like Strictly would be.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Dec 20 2020, 11:41 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 11:02 AM) *
West end shows Melanie C can get any way if she wanted to commit to that kind of grueling schedule again (which I don't think she does).

I don't think being Googled loads is the great sign you think it is, just millions of people wondering who on earth she was.

I don't think Nicola even has a record deal at the moment, so ofcourse she did not release new music. Like I said, she was supposed to go on a big West Ed show that got cancelled. Ofcourse appearing on the show would not give Mel a top 10 hit, but it certainly would not hurt and I would say The Masked Singer is one of the most respected shows to appear on, just look at last year's. Besides Nicola, we had Skin, Kelis and Jake Shears. I adore Mel but she is definitely not more relevant, as a solo artists, compared to any of those names.

This post has been edited by Chemistry: Dec 20 2020, 11:41 AM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Dec 20 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Same two members being negative again over something that is probably not happening haha.

Her voice is very distinctive im sure she would be guessed straight away if she did feature.

I do think it would be good exposure for her, her covers of sia, rag and bone man , ed sheeran etc were very good.

Nichola did get cast in a west end show after her success in series 1. No one knew if series 1 would be a success and it was huge so i am sure series 2 will attract even bigger names.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Dec 20 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(vibe @ Dec 20 2020, 12:43 PM) *
Her voice is very distinctive im sure she would be guessed straight away if she did feature.

Yes, that was I was thinking as well laugh.gif
She has one of the most distinctive voices in the pop industry, so I am not sure how that would work. At the same time, Skin has also such a distinctive voice and was guessed super fast as well but the public (and Nicola herself as well).

+Quote this post
JaneJ
post Dec 20 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,953
Is the show popular in the UK? How are the ratings?

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Dec 20 2020, 03:10 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Chemistry @ Dec 20 2020, 11:41 AM) *
I don't think Nicola even has a record deal at the moment, so ofcourse she did not release new music. Like I said, she was supposed to go on a big West Ed show that got cancelled. Ofcourse appearing on the show would not give Mel a top 10 hit, but it certainly would not hurt and I would say The Masked Singer is one of the most respected shows to appear on, just look at last year's. Besides Nicola, we had Skin, Kelis and Jake Shears. I adore Mel but she is definitely not more relevant, as a solo artists, compared to any of those names.

I'm failing to see how mentioning Skin, Kelis or Jake Shears helps your point. I didn't watch the show so had no idea they competed and have heard nothing from them or their 'boost' from it so you only prove my point it does nothing for anyone's career that Melanie C doesn't already have.

I'm not being negative at all if she is going to do a reality show it needs to be strictly or Celeb. Anything else is just a cheque and will do pretty much nothing for her career. I could however see Strictly or Celeb doing wonders for her, it completely revived Sophie Ellis Bexters career. Celeb would be perfect for her too as she could show she is game for anything and her obvious physicality would shine through on trials.

This post has been edited by sammy01: Dec 20 2020, 03:12 PM

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Dec 20 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 04:10 PM) *
I'm failing to see how mentioning Skin, Kelis or Jake Shears helps your point. I didn't watch the show so had no idea they competed and have heard nothing from them or their 'boost' from it so you only prove my point it does nothing for anyone's career that Melanie C doesn't already have.

I'm not being negative at all if she is going to do a reality show it needs to be strictly or Celeb. Anything else is just a cheque and will do pretty much nothing for her career. I could however see Strictly or Celeb doing wonders for her, it completely revived Sophie Ellis Bexters career. Celeb would be perfect for her too as she could show she is game for anything and her obvious physicality would shine through on trials.

Did I ever mention it 'boosted' their career? No. I was making a point that a lot of respected celebrities have participated in the show and it's therefore one of the best reality shows to compete in. I am not saying that Mel has to do it, but it could only help her instead of harm her and besides that, a nice extra cheque to fund her solo work / Red Girl Records. I don't really understand why you are being so negative and rude to be honest.

I'd say that I'm a Celeb is definitely considered more for z-list stars than Masked Singer is. And whose career did Celeb really help? I can only think of Katie Price years and years ago. You say Masked Singer did nothing for Nicola, but what did Celeb do for Nadine? At least with Masked Singer, the focus is on their musical talent and not just eating strange things in a jungle.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Dec 20 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Again, doing a show like Strictly means you pretty much have to clear out your calendar for the next six months or with the dance training and it being performed live on television. The Masked Singer films in two-three weeks so it's less of a commitment for her despite potentially being on television for the next three months.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Dec 20 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 20 2020, 03:10 PM) *

The point that was being made is that as far as reality shows go The Masked Singer has less of a desperation about it because it attracts some more respectable names such as Jake Shears, Kelis and Skin... other shows such as the two you mentioned are full of Towie and Chelsea fame addicts and soap stars, with the occasional bigger name or sports personality to balance it out.

Also the only way in which I'm a Celeb would be better is the possibility of a bigger pay check nothing else. That show is easily much more z-listers than pretty much any TV show out there in line with Big Brother, as only people who are really desperate for exposure or money go onto it. Strictly on the other hand at least has the fact you're learning a skill to make it more attractive and did at least give Alesha Dixon and Sophie Ellis Bextor a much needed boost, however it didn't help Emma or countless other singers who have been on it so I'd say they were the lucky minority rather than majority... In terms of just a paycheck Strictly is one of the worse paying reality shows so if she does do a reality show for a pay check then The Masked Singer would be a better choice for that.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Dec 20 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Yes Sir Mo Farah that desperate guy who needs a career boost.

This post has been edited by sammy01: Dec 20 2020, 06:45 PM

+Quote this post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:30 AM