BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slowthai - TYRON, 2nd album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post Feb 15 2021, 05:32 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

Seeming that it looks like it might be #1 this week, I think Slowthai's 2nd album deserves it's own thread. This is the follow-up the Mercury Award nominated 'Nothing Great About Britain' and includes features from A$AP Rocky, Skepta, Dominic Fike, Denzel Curry, Deb Never, James Blake & Mount Kimbie. Feel Away & MAZZA have both reached the lower-reaches of the top 100 but the Skepta collab 'CANCELLED' looks like it might possibly overtake his previous effort with Skepta (Inglorious) to give Slowthai his highest charting and first top 40 single.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brer
post Feb 15 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #2
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Not expecting him to hang onto the top 40 in the singles chart (I expect it'll follow the same pattern of Bicep and Foo Fighters from recent weeks with the initial streaming from the album release not being strong enough to carry it all week), could well outpeak 'Inglorious' though.

Hoping that 'MAZZA' should be good for a new peak this week (previously charted at #94 and it's currently #62 in the mids), think that is my favourite song of 2021 so far - the production reminds me a lot of Playboi Carti's early songs, and it sounds great with slowthai's chaotic energy over it and a very solid feature from Rocky too.

I loved both 'feel away' and 'nhs' as well so very much looking forward to hearing this album! (You can tell he's been hanging around the BROCKHAMPTON circles with the appearances of Dominic Fike and Deb Never on here, the chorus of 'nhs' could be ripped straight from a BROCKHAMPTON song as well, would love to eventually get a proper collab between them - he did appear on an interlude on their last album but that's all)

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 15 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Good to see him doing so well, although I've generally enjoyed his dance features/collabs (Disclosure, Mura Masa etc.) more than his actual solo singles and the last album was sadly lacking in the same energy and rebelliousness of “Doorman” (my favourite from it). That said, I did really enjoy “Feel Away” and many of the singles from the previous album so will no doubt dive into this at some point this week.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 7 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #4
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I've listened to a few of the songs from this album this afternoon, 'CANCELLED' is really hitting me well right now, very nostalgic with Skepta showing up there. Great flow on 'VEX' too.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Mar 7 2021, 07:20 PM
Post #5
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

I think the first 3 singles are probably still my 3 favourite songs on the album at the moment but 'VEX' might overtake 'nhs' for me with more listens, another massive banger and probably the catchiest song on the album!

Most of the reviews are saying the second half of the album is better than the first half and I agree with that on balance - although my overall favourite song on the album is still 'MAZZA' (and 'VEX' was, as per above, my highlight of the new tracks), there are a few songs on the first half that don't really fully hit for me. I thought '45 SMOKE' got off to a great start ('rise and shine let's get it bumboclaat dickhead bumboclaat dickhead' has to be one of the most memorable opening lyrics on an album ever xx) but kind of ran out of steam halfway through which isn't great for such a short song, then I was kind of middling on 'DEAD' in general and 'WOT' is too much of a tease as it sounds like it would have been great if it wasn't left as basically just a snippet of a song. Even 'CANCELLED', while I do like it, felt a little on the disappointing side compared both to the other singles and to slowthai & Skepta's previous collaboration (it sounds more like a Skepta song than a slowthai one which is fine but I kind of want slowthai to be more present on his own singles laugh.gif) But then 'PLAY WITH FIRE' is a great and well placed transitional track between the bangers and the slower songs and pretty much everything on that second half is really good, I actually listened to 'terms' before the album and wasn't initially too sold on that either but it's already grown on me a lot and is my fave of the new songs from the second half now (just took another listen to really appreciate the Dominic Fike hook which I was initially a little underwhelmed by, also sad that Denzel Curry didn't have a bigger part on it but at least we do already have a slowthai/Denzel collab that properly delivered on the promise of those two names together in the form of the fantastic non-album single 'Psycho'). Also really loving 'push' (Deb Never's contribution is beautiful) and 'adhd' is a great closing track. Plus 'feel away' and 'nhs' are both still highlights as well of course.

So yeah it has a lot of great songs to take away from it but I think it's falling a little short of being an early album of the year contender for me due to the banger half of the album being a bit of a letdown overall despite some very high highs. Think I'd rank it 2nd behind Bicep's album out of the 4 new albums I've listened to in 2021 so far x

He's dropped a video for 'adhd' now as well:

Also just for completeness as they weren't posted in the OP and I don't think there was ever a thread for them before here are the earlier released videos for 'feel away' and 'nhs' (warning the former is a little bit nightmare fuel though laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:42 PM