BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> QUIZ WEEK 9: Julian's intros - the results!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:30 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,705

The audio file has been played 160 times (6.4 per participant on average); not enough for me to get a hit single sadly.

Participants (25)
garyfeld
Mangø
chrissmith276
jimwatts
Dobbo.
dan::G
Bjork
paulglib
n4yr
PeteFromLeeds
Riser
StoneDragon
Jade
coi
Chez Wombat
King Rollo
LewisGT
Ansel
dandy*
CJK
Mack.
vibe
LiamSime
uptempo_owww!
awardinary

Thanks very much all for entering and I hope you enjoyed it.

I tried to make this reasonably tough when I put it together, but I wanted it to be fun and accessible at the same time so it was a difficult balance. As usual for Buzzjack the standard was very high, and the leaderboard is pretty tight!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast

First some boring notes about the scoring:

Given the tightness of the scores I did deduct one point if featured artists were missed - sorry about that but I did say I wanted the full credit. (I didn’t deduct for omissions of bracketed parts of song titles or mis-spellings.)

There were only a few tied positions in the final leaderboard, but as I really don’t like ties I have separated them on the following basis:
- If someone with the same score identified more clips correctly out of 20 they will be placed higher
- If the number of clips identified is also equal I will look at which tied participant answered the "harder" clips correctly, based on the number of correct answers for each clip

For the purposes of the most and least correctly answered bonuses I have included half and quarter points for partial answers as appropriate.

I hope that seems fair!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 12 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #3
I don't wanna talk about sticks
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Well this is going to be fun! I can guarantee there will be lots of songs in here that I know but just couldn't remember the intros to.

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:34 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Now let’s look at what you thought would be the most and least correctly answered!

Most correctly answered:
#1: 16 of you! - Mangø, chrissmith276, Dobbo., dan::G, paulglib, n4yr, Riser, StoneDragon, Jade, coi, Chez Wombat, LewisGT, dandy*, vibe, LiamSime, uptempo_owww!
#3 - PeteFromLeeds, Ansel
#7 - Bjork
#9 - garyfeld
#13 - jimwatts, Mack.
#14 - King Rollo, CJK

Least correctly answered:
#2 - garyfeld, n4yr, uptempo_owww!
#5 - Chez Wombat
#6 - Bjork, Ansel
#10 - CJK
#12 - dan::G, coi, LiamSime
#13 - Vibe
#14 - Mack.
#16 - PeteFromLeeds
#17 - Dobbo.
#19 - Riser
#20: 9 of you - Mangø, chrissmith276, jimwatts, paulglib, StoneDragon, Jade, King Rollo, LewisGT, dandy*

So a clear favourite in both cases, and on the most guessed side it was overwhelming, but will the consensus be correct?

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 12 2021, 08:35 PM
Post #5
jerd
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Oh I think I missed the bit about including the featured artists! Eep, I hope I did that anyway laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:37 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q1

Katy Perry - Firework

#3, 2010

The quiz started with one of Katy Perry’s most iconic hits. The third single of the Teenage Dream album had a relatively slow start entering at #5, but proved to be a long runner and became her first song to do over a million pure sales.

Correct answers: 23/25
4 points:
garyfeld, Mangø, chrissmith276, jimwatts, Dobbo., dan::G, Bjork, paulglib, n4yr, Riser, StoneDragon, Jade, coi, Chez Wombat, LewisGT, Ansel, dandy*, CJK, Mack., vibe, LiamSime, uptempo_owww!, awardinary

Most of you picked this as the most correctly answered. It was very well answered but not perfectly - will something else have done better?

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 12 2021, 08:39 PM
Post #7
jerd

Fingers crossed that it was the most answered kink.gif

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q2

Justin Bieber ft Chance the Rapper - Holy

#7, 2020

This was the most recent song in the quiz; its claim to fame from a chart geek’s point of view was spending the most ever weeks at #10; 5 in total.

Despite the recency and high profile of the artist some of you thought this was a tough one. I’ve also been very mean and deducted a point for anyone who didn’t mention Chance the Rapper. I mean how could anyone overlook poor Chance’s epic lyrical contributions such as “messy...like Lionel Messi” and “union in communion”?

Correct answers:15.75/25
4 points:
Mangø, jimwatts. dan::G, PeteFromLeeds, Riser, StoneDragon, Jade, coi, LewisGT, Ansel, LiamSime, awardinary
3 points (missing Chance):
Chrissmith276, Dobbo., Bjork, dandy*, CJK

garyfeld and n4yr chose this as the least answered, but surely something else will have done worse?

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:44 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q3

The 1975 - Chocolate

#19, 2013

The 1975’s debut hit achieved renown well beyond its relatively lowly #19 peak, and has gone on to achieve double platinum status.

Correct answers: 23/25
4 points:
garyfeld, Mangø, chrissmith276, jimwatts, Dobbo., dan::G, Bjork, paulglib, n4yr, PeteFromLeeds, Riser, StoneDragon, Jade, coi, Chez Wombat, LewisGT, Ansel, dandy*, CJK, Mack., LiamSime, uptempo_owww!, awardinary

So this moves into joint pole position with Firework for the most guessed, and PeteFromLeeds and Ansel voted for this.

But will anything score better?!

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:46 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q4

David Guetta ft Akon - Sexy b*tch (Sexy chick)

#1, 2009

The approach of releasing a radio friendly version of the track alongside the main version seemed to work well here and was also used by Cee-Lo Green the following year. A long top 5 run after debuting at #1 led to this being the 12th biggest selling song of the year.

I gave full points whether you answered with the official version or the radio version, though you may have come unstuck later if you didn’t think of the right one...

Correct answers: 22.5/25
4 points:
garyfeld, Mangø, chrissmith276, jimwatts, Dobbo., dan::G, Bjork, paulglib, n4yr, PeteFromLeeds, Riser, StoneDragon, Jade, coi, Chez Wombat, LewisGT, Ansel, Mack., LiamSime, uptempo_owww!, awardinary
3 points: dandy* (missing Akon), vibe (missing Guetta)

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 12 2021, 08:47 PM
Post #11
jerd

Oh yay I did put the featured artist cheer.gif I wrongly thought #2 was Freya Ridings - 'Lost Without You' at first but then Bieber clicked after a while after I knew what the theme was. 'Chocolate' was a lot more instant though, great song heart.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 12 2021, 08:48 PM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think I did particularly well here, I did love the theme though and I'm interested to see how the ones I didn't get fit into it x

+Quote Post
jimwatts
post Apr 12 2021, 08:48 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 38,591
   No Gallery Pics

That little bit at the end of the Chocolate clip helped - I wouldn't have got it straight away otherwise

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:49 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q5

New Order - True faith

#4, 1987

One of New Order’s most iconic songs reached the Top 10 again in 1994 after being remixed, and was also covered by George Michael.

Correct answers: 15.5/25
4 points:
garyfeld, Mangø, chrissmith276, jimwatts, dan::G, Bjork, PeteFromLeeds, StoneDragon, coi, King Rollo, Ansel, dandy*, CJK, LiamSime, awardinary
2 points (artist only correct): paulglib

This narrowly overtakes Holy to become the least well answered so far (putting garyfeld and n4yr out of the running for that one). Chez Wombat chose this one - but surely there are lower scorers to come?

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:51 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Apr 12 2021, 09:48 PM) *
That little bit at the end of the Chocolate clip helped - I wouldn't have got it straight away otherwise

Yes - I had thought about cutting that off but I didn't want people getting disheartened by Song 3! dry.gif

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:54 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q6

Maroon 5 - Sugar

#7, 2015

This was one of Maroon 5s many slow burning hits. It had an astonishing 12 week Top 10 run without climbing higher than #7 and was the 13th biggest song of 2015.

Correct answers: 18/25
4 points:
garyfeld, Mangø, chrissmith276, Dobbo., dan::G, paulglib, n4yr, Riser, stonedragon, Jade, coi, LewisGT, dandy*, CJK, Mack., LiamSime, uptempo_owww!, awardinary

Some of you did struggle with this, including a couple who got almost all the others, but it definitely won’t be the least well answered (sorry Ansel and Bjork)

+Quote Post
coi
post Apr 12 2021, 08:54 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

True Faith is great wub.gif (although that George Michael cover wasn't), pleased that Firework is still the joint most answered so far and hoping it stays that way for the bonus points!

+Quote Post
JulianT
post Apr 12 2021, 08:57 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Q7

Florence & the Machine - Rabbit heart (Raise it up)

#12, 2009

This was the group’s first top 20 hit, a folky number complete with harp and Florence harmonising with herself to sound like a whole choir.

Correct answers: 21/25
4 points:
garyfeld, Mangø, chrissmith276, jimwatts, Dobbo., dan::G, Bjork, paulglib, n4yr, PeteFromLeeds, Riser, StoneDragon, Jade, coi, Chez Wombat, LewisGT, Ansel, dandy*, CJK, uptempo_owww!, awardinary

This looked like it might be the best answered until quite late but several of the later entrants didn’t get it, putting Bjork out of the money for this bonus too.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 12 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #19
jerd

Oh oops didn't get New Order ohmy.gif glad the next couple went better.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 12 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #20
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JulianT @ Apr 12 2021, 09:49 PM) *
This narrowly overtakes Holy to become the least well answered so far (putting garyfeld and n4yr out of the running for that one). Chez Wombat chose this one - but surely there are lower scorers to come?

I only went with this as it sounded like it could be anything from the 80s with such a short clip and a quick drum beat, but clearly I'm not as familiar with it as some are! (I do love what I know of New Order, but I never would've got that)

Ofc. Maroon 5 was one of those I didn't get, frickin' awful band.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2021 - 10:41 PM