BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Come Fly With Me: TV FLASHBACK
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klampus
post Apr 19 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #1
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

'Come Fly With Me' was a sketch show from David Walliams and Matt Lucas, reuniting after their HUGELY successful 'Little Britain' series. The show was a spoof of the documentaries 'Airport' and 'Airline'. The made-up airlines that featured with FlyLo (a low-cost airline that included many hidden charges and schemes to cut costs), Our Lady Air (an Irish low-cost airline) and Great British Air (a major British airline that provides a high-class service around the world from the UK). The series was narrated by Lindsay Duncan.

Characters included:
  • Precious Little - A manager of a coffee kiosk who is also a devout Christian. She deliberately causes things that force the closure of her kiosk, allowing her to take the day off. 'Praise the Lord!'
  • Melody Baines and Keeley St Clair - Liverpudlian check-in girls for FlyLo
  • Omar Baba - Owner of the low-cost airline FlyLo who is keen to show off their cost-cutting measures.
  • Peter and Judith Surname - A couple who suffer horrific trips abroad.
  • Moses Beacon - Passenger Liasion Officer for Great British Air, if you'll pardon the pun.
  • Simon and Jackie Trent - Husband and wife pilot team. Simon cheated on Jackie with a stewardess which is why they now fly together.
  • Taaj Manzoor - Young British man of Pakistani descent who works as part of the roving ground crew for FlyLo.
  • Tommy Reid - A young man who wants to become a pilot an beliefs working in Happy Burger at the airport will help him to work his way up to his dream job.
  • Penny Carter - An elitist first-class stewardess for Great British Air.
  • Fearghal O'Farrell - Gay Irish air steward for Our Lady Air.
The first episode premiered on Christmas Day 2010 with 12.47m viewers! The remainder of the series averaged around 7m. A second show was commissioned but was never actually made, Walliams stated in 2013 that Matt Lucas did not want to make another series. It may forever live in the shadow of 'Little Britain' but it's hard to top such a success with only one series! I personally find the show hilarious, even with repeat viewings and Precious is one of my favourite sketch show characters ever. It feels like it's a lot more culturally known than you would expect as well!

Highlights:

What are your memories of the show? Remember for TV shows that pre-date 2000, visit the Retro Lounge!

Previous Flashbacks:

The Catherine Tate Show
Rock School
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
April
post Apr 19 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #2
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

Precious was my absolute fave. What a kween! heart.gif The nails sketch is my absolute favourite! rotf.gif rotf.gif

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 19 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #3
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

ha OI luurrrved THIS back in t day!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Apr 19 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

The 'Martin Clunes' sketch is still an ultimate fave. I must quote it every other week. *.*

This post has been edited by Jade: Apr 19 2015, 11:23 PM

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Apr 20 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

i never watched this when it was originally shown, but i was able to catch some on gold a couple of weeks ago, and sort of wished i had watched the entire series.

not as funny as little britain though. (why would it be?. that was extremely funny!)

+Quote Post
Calum
post Apr 20 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #6
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

Precious wub.gif She honestly defined the show.

A lot of the sketches in this though were brought down slightly by David Walliams. I generally find Matt Lucas' characters are always written better and the comedy just flows a lot better. It was the same with Little Britain.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Apr 20 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #7
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

OMG yes yes yes yes wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
One of my favourite ever programmes and comedies ever heart.gif
(In other words I'll do a lot longer post later when I can be bothered smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Apr 22 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #8
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

Great to see a thread on this show! I remember watching the first episode with my extended family on Christmas Day 2010 and it was probably the highlight of the whole day as everyone was in stitches (and mostly drunk at the time, which helped of course). I always thought it was underrated, which is understandable following 'Little Britain' but the characters are just as quotable and well played IMO. Having watched a bit of 'Airline' years ago, I think what made 'Come Fly With Me' work was that it was a very accurate parody in the way it was shot and produced, and some of the characters relatively true to life!

Precious was a definite highlight of mine as well along with Melody and Keeley (if only for the way the latter pronounces 'check-in' wub.gif).

I looooooved Judith and Peter too and the way she'd never let him speak, even when she'd just repeat what he was trying to say. heart.gif

Of those not mentioned, I can think of the Immigration Officer Ian Foot, whose sketches could be quite funny, the two lazy paparazzi, the baggage handlers who steal stuff and that old woman Hetty Wolf who spends the day trolling Moses! Not sure if there are any other notable ones but I enjoyed most of the characters.

QUOTE(Jade @ Apr 20 2015, 12:23 AM) *
The 'Martin Clunes' sketch is still an ultimate fave. I must quote it every other week. *.*

I used to quote that all the time as well! I definitely can't see or hear Martin Clunes without thinking of his Japanese fanbase anyway. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post Apr 22 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #9
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

I have the same problem with this as I do with most of Walliams and Lucas's work in that all too often the joke seems to be based around the characters' race or class (Vicky Pollard, Ting Tong, Precious, Taj) to the point where I find it uncomfortable to watch sometimes. The moments outside of that are mostly quite good though so it's a shame the show gets dragged down in this way.

Although 'Airport' the reality show that this was based off is and was perfect hangover TV <3

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Apr 29 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #10
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Noahspike @ Apr 22 2015, 08:16 PM) *
Having watched a bit of 'Airline' years ago, I think what made 'Come Fly With Me' work was that it was a very accurate parody in the way it was shot and produced, and some of the characters relatively true to life!

I think that's really part of it's charm, it's VERY accurate and spot on.
QUOTE(Noahspike @ Apr 22 2015, 08:16 PM) *
that old woman Hetty Wolf who spends the day trolling Moses!

omg yes! She is a fave!

+Quote Post
Sqntq Clqus
post May 7 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I just finished this series again for the 50th time I'd say!! laugh.gif

I wish they'd make another series sad.gif

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post May 7 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #12
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Penny is my queen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 08:48 AM