BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daft Punk - Epilogue, Daft Punk split after 28 years; video marking this released
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post Feb 22 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #1
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

Daft Punk have split after 28 years, and have released this video sad.gif

(part of me is hoping it's actually some sort of marketing strategy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
✖ leww ✖
post Feb 22 2021, 03:11 PM
Post #2
Jaida Essence Hall fan account (he/him)
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

A Pitchfork article to flesh things out a bit more...

Daft Punk Break Up
The legendary dance duo have called it quits 28 years after forming in Paris
By Jazz Monroe
February 22, 2021

Daft Punk, the Parisian duo responsible for some of the most popular dance and pop songs ever made, have split. They broke the news with an 8-minute video titled “Epilogue,” excerpted from their 2006 film Electroma. Asked if Daft Punk were no more, their longtime publicist Kathryn Frazier confirmed the news to Pitchfork but gave no reason for the breakup.

Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo formed Daft Punk in Paris in 1993, emerging from and helping to define the French touch style of house music. Their debut album, 1997’s Homework, was a dance music landmark, featuring classic singles “Around the World” and “Da Funk.” By the release of its follow-up, Discovery, in 2001, the duo had taken to making public appearances in the robot outfits that became their trademark. The singles “One More Time” and “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” cemented them as global superstars. Their imprint in the popular imagination continued to deepen in subsequent years, with records including third album Human After All, live LP Alive 2007, and the Tron: Legacy soundtrack album.

Twenty years into their career, Daft Punk stepped up once more with “Get Lucky,” the lead single of their 2013 album Random Access Memory. The ubiquitous single sold millions of copies around the world and won two Grammys for the duo and guests Nile Rodgers and Pharrell Williams. The album, which is their last to date, led to a spectacular Coachella headline set that encapsulated their magic and mythology. “When you know how a magic trick is done, it's so depressing,” Bangalter told Pitchfork in a 2013 cover story. “We focus on the illusion because giving away how it’s done instantly shuts down the sense of excitement and innocence.”

The album earned Daft Punk three further Grammys, including Album of the Year. The year of its release, they were also credited with co-production on several tracks from Kanye West’s Yeezus. They would go on to collaborate with the Weeknd on the 2016 single “Starboy”—Daft Punk‘s first Billboard singles chart topper—as well as “I Feel It Coming.”

- https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits

Didn't expect that!

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Feb 22 2021, 03:46 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

sadness
but at least they went with a high (Get Lucky)

+Quote Post
dan::G
post Feb 22 2021, 03:50 PM
Post #4
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

ah no sad.gif so much for 2021 being the year they were finally due another release. a sad day for dance music.

(title edit: adding context in subtitle so people don't assume it's a new song of theirs)

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 22 2021, 04:13 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

cry.gif This day just keeps getting worse, I mean I kind of sensed it as there was literally nothing on the horizon for eight years, but still, a wonderful act much missed.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Feb 22 2021, 04:26 PM
Post #6
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Gah! That moment when you click from the home screen thinking there's new music and find this instead cry.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Feb 22 2021, 04:56 PM
Post #7
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

So disappointing! They are one of the only acts in the world I really wanted to see live and were on a bucketlist. I was hoping they would do a few dates after RAM in Europe but from what it sounds like, they could never get the venue for the experience.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Feb 22 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Yes I read today that they had sadly split up, sad.gif if that is the case I wish 'Epilogue' had of been a final song from them before they split up though.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Feb 22 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Truly saddened by this announcement. 28 years though is impressive by any standard, and I’ve been reading a flood of tributes on twitter by well respected artists of the dance industry. They were indeed revolutionary with their sound and they will be missed. I was hoping that a new release was on the horizon but will have to make do with listening to their discography again which I’m doing now as I listen to Discovery which in fact was one of my first CD’s I purchased in Virgin Megastore way back when.

+Quote Post
Alberto!
post Feb 22 2021, 07:16 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,843
   No Gallery Pics

Not surprised as they've been quiet for years now but I did hope they would release one last album, even if they wanted to end it.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Feb 22 2021, 07:27 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING

I forgot just how great Random Access Memories is, at least they went out on a high. Touch in the eplilogue was always one of my favourite songs off the album. I was really hoping for another album! Maybe they just couldn't make the music they wanted to and went their seperate ways.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Feb 22 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #12
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I've been listening to their albums over the past month and they really are brilliant, even Human After All isn't as bad as it's made out to be but the other three are absolute classics.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 22 2021, 08:39 PM
Post #13
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah this is a very sad but inevitable moment, although like others have said I certainly didn't expect any new music last decade and was pleasantly surprised by Random Access Memories when that came out and gave them their first and only UK #1 single. They have gone out on a high and not just faded out and I admire how they approached their career. I don't think you'd have ever got to see them Rooney - their last gig was in 2006/7 I think and they hated touring. They are a band that mean a lot to me though, I vividly remember buying Discovery during the summer of 2001 as it was the first album that I spent my pocket money on (£13.99 I think it was??), then spending almost the whole summer holiday break with my family wearing out the CD player that I had playing the album out. Such an iconic album and so many fond memories attached to that period of my life too- can't believe that it is 20 years ago!

I do remember hearing and loving “Around The World” and “Da Funk” on the radio in the late 90s and of course Stardust's “Music Sounds Better With You” in 98 (which Bangalter produced) but it was only after “One More Time” was hammered by Radio 1 in late 2000, the follow-up singles convinced me to get Discovery, and only then that I properly took notice and delved into their discography to became a huge fan.

They will be definitely be sorely missed.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Feb 22 2021, 09:11 PM
Post #14
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

I really thought they would have banged out one last single before announcing the split, will be sadly missed. Get Lucky will remain a CLASIC in my eyes

+Quote Post
Stu1985
post Feb 22 2021, 10:05 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,014
   No Gallery Pics

Each of their albums are masterpieces. I have played Alive 2007 so much that I remember the audience noises on each track, wishing I had been there myself, it must have been such a great experience.

One More Time will always be a defining track for my love of dance music.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Feb 22 2021, 10:26 PM
Post #16
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I have to admit, it does seem at this point (and has done for many years) like they're a band on permanent hiatus that we might get something from one day if we're lucky.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Feb 22 2021, 10:30 PM
Post #17
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Feb 22 2021, 08:39 PM) *
Yeah this is a very sad but inevitable moment, although like others have said I certainly didn't expect any new music last decade and was pleasantly surprised by Random Access Memories when that came out and gave them their first and only UK #1 single. They have gone out on a high and not just faded out and I admire how they approached their career. I don't think you'd have ever got to see them Rooney - their last gig was in 2006/7 I think and they hated touring. They are a band that mean a lot to me though, I vividly remember buying Discovery during the summer of 2001 as it was the first album that I spent my pocket money on (£13.99 I think it was??), then spending almost the whole summer holiday break with my family wearing out the CD player that I had playing the album out. Such an iconic album and so many fond memories attached to that period of my life too- can't believe that it is 20 years ago!

I do remember hearing and loving “Around The World” and “Da Funk” on the radio in the late 90s and of course Stardust's “Music Sounds Better With You” in 98 (which Bangalter produced) but it was only after “One More Time” was hammered by Radio 1 in late 2000, the follow-up singles convinced me to get Discovery, and only then that I properly took notice and delved into their discography to became a huge fan.

They will be definitely be sorely missed.

I had a chance to go to their Alive tour in 2007 at Wireless, that's what kicks me! I really did think they would do a few one off gigs after Random Access Memories, probably a show in the UK, Australia, an appearance at Coachella and then maybe a couple in Europe too. But they really didn't like touring or they wanted a specific venue which probably would have been a nightmare to get licensed. But they are truly one of the greats of dance music.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 22 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

Very sad to hear this. Discovery is such a legendary album, I bought it off the back of Aerodynamic (I have that on CD single too, but it must have been an import as it didn't chart here, I wonder why it wouldn't have got an official release!?!).

Obviously I already loved One More Time and was so blown away by the album, and its influence has been everywhere on music since, as well as being the soundbed for so many TV shows etc.

Random Access Memories was wonderful too and Get Lucky was one of the all-time best comeback singles. Was really hoping they'd do one more album and I'm sure it could have been big for them too, assuming it was a commercial sound.

+Quote Post
SevenSeize
post Feb 23 2021, 02:42 AM
Post #19
i don't believe in dinosaurs, but i know ghosts are real
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

man

i'll just go shed some tears and stick Discovery on repeat then~

+Quote Post
All★bySmashMouth
post Feb 23 2021, 06:00 AM
Post #20
FM11
Member No.: 7,795

Doesn't seem like the final time ever I think. It's a bit sudden.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th March 2021 - 07:38 AM