BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Formula 1 2009 Thread, Discuss
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
thisispop
post Mar 17 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72
Formula 1 2009 Thread

A new season = New Rules

The 2009 Formula One season will be the 60th FIA Formula One World Championship season. There are a total of ten teams signed up to compete in the championship.

The season is scheduled to take place over 17 rounds, starting with the Australian Grand Prix on 29 March 2009 and ending on 1 November 2009 with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, which is included on the race calendar for the first time and will be held at the new Yas Marina Circuit. The French and Canadian Grands Prix, which were both included in the 2008 championship, have been dropped.

Several rule changes will be implemented by the FIA, in a bid to cut costs due to the global financial crisis and to improve the on-track spectacle. New rules governing tyres, aerodynamics and Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems, among others, are some of the biggest changes in the Formula One regulations for several decades.

FIA also declared the change in deciding the drivers' world championship with driver with most wins to be declared as winner. In previous seasons, the driver with the most points was considered the winner.

Thoughts on F1 2009?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post Mar 17 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
I'll be very disappointed if Heidfeld doesn't finally claim his first victory this season. After last season the BMW should really be the best car. If it isn't I think Kubica has every right to be a bit pissed off too....

Red Bull/Torro Rosso will be interesting for me. Torro Rosso seemed to be clearly the better car in the latter half of last season, and with Webber and Vettel in RBR now it should really be the best of the two.

It does seem set to be an incredibly promising season though, with the unpredictability of the rule changes. There are probably 7 teams who, if they finished top 3 at the end of the year, it wouldn't surprise me.

I've noticed the bookies are very British biased too, last time I checked Hamilton favourite to win in Oz and Button second. I know Brawn have done well and look good but that may be pushing it!

+Quote this post
thisispop
post Mar 17 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon
2009 F1 Schedule

The 2009 F1 season kicks off in Australia at the end of March and ends in the UAE in November.

March 29 - Australia
April 5 - Malaysia
April 19 - China
April 26 - Bahrain
May 10 - Spain
May 24 - Monaco
June 7 - Turkey
June 21 - Britain
July 12 - Germany
July 26 - Hungary
August 23 - Europe
August 30 - Belgium
Sepetember 13 - Italy
September 27 - Singapore
October 4 - Japan
October 18 - Brazil
November 1 - United Arab Emirates

TEAMS/DRIVERS

McLaren

Heikki Kovalainen

Having clinched his maiden victory in 2008, Heikki will once again race for McLaren in the new year. But can he challenge Lewis for the title?

Lewis Hamilton

Lewis fulfilled his potential in 2008 becoming F1's youngest-ever World Champion, which means in 2009 he is the man to beat...

Ferrari
Kimi Raikkonen

The reigning Champ failed to live up to his billing in 2008, claiming just two wins from 18 races. However, expect Kimi to fight back in 2009...

Felipe Massa

Drivers' title runner-up Massa will be looking to go one better in 2009. But can Ferrari fix the mistakes the cost him the title by a point in 2008...

BMW-Sauber
Nick Heidfeld

Finishing sixth in 2008, Nick will remain at BMW in 2009. However, he needs to get the better of his team-mate if he hopes to continue...

Robert Kubica

Having claimed BMW's first pole and first win and finishing fourth in the standings, Robert should be set to mount a title challenge in 2009...

Renault
Fernando Alonso

Having opted to stay at Renault, Alonso will be bouyed by the team's strong finish to 2008. But can they carry it through and put up a challenge in 2009?

Nelson Piquet Jr

Nelson Piquet Jr has been offered a second season with Renault but can he put this chance to impress to better than use than he did in 2008?

Toyota
Jarno Trulli

With Toyota's first win still appearing to be someway off in the distance, Jarno Trulli will at least be hoping for a few more podium finishes...

Timo Glock

An solid showing in his first season back in F1 has earned Timo Glock a new Toyota contract and a seat in the fight to claim the team's first win...

Toro Rosso
Sebastien Bourdais

Seb will remain with Toro Rosso in 2009 after finally being confirmed in February. But he'll need a vast improvement to stay around a third year...

Sebastien Buemi

Swiss driver Sebastien Buemi hits the F1 grid in 2009, racing for the much-improved Toro Rosso outfit. But can the rookie carry the team forward?

Red Bull
Mark Webber

After a more reliable season and a few added points, Mark headsinto 2009 bouyed with confidence. But can he keep new team-mate Vettel at bay?

Sebastian Vettel

Seb Vettel outdid himself and his Toro Rosso car in 2008, even bagging the team's first pole and win in Italy. But in 2009 he's off to Red Bull...

Williams
Nico Rosberg

With Williams having shown signs of promise and improvement in 2008, Nico Rosberg will be hoping for a better showing in 2009...

Kazuki Nakajima

Kazuki Nakajima will remain at Williams in 2009 - but he will need better results if he wants to extend his contract beyond that...

Force India
Giancarlo Fisichella

Giancarlo Fisichella will remain a Force India driver in 2009 after helping the team find some improvements - at least that's the word for now...

Adrian Sutil

Sutil may not have scored any points in 2008 but a strong fourth place in Monaco before being shunted out ensured he was able to show his class...

Brawn GP
Jenson Button

Jense will remain in F1 this season after Ross Brawn bought the former Honda team. But with little testing under their belts, times will be tough...

Rubens Barrichello

Just when it seemed his time was up, Rubens Barrichello has been handed a F1 lifeline by Ross Brawn, the new owner of Brawn GP, formerly Honda...

+Quote this post
thisispop
post Mar 17 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Betfair.com Current odds:

F1 Champion 2009

Kimi Raikkonen 5/1 Fav Equal
Fernando Alonso 5/1 Fav Equal
Felipe Massa 11/2
Lewis Hamilton 6/1
Robert Kubica 8/1
Jenson Button 10/1
Rubens Barrichello 20/1
Nick Heidfeld 22/1
Sebastien Vettel 25/1
Heikki Kovalainen 45/1
Jarno Trulli 80/1
Mark Webber 110/1
Timo Glock 120/1
Nico Rosberg 175/1
Nelsinho Piquet 250/1
Sebastien Bourdais 300/1
Adrian Sutil 350/1
Giancarlo Fisichella 350/1
Sebastien Buemi 400/1
Kazuki Nakajima 500/1

Australian F1 2009 Winner:

Kimi Raikkonen 5/1
Jenson Button 5/1
Felipe Massa 15/2
Fernando Alonso 15/2
Rubens Barrichello 15/2
Lewis Hamilton 10/1
Robert Kubica 25/2
Sebastien Vettel 25/1
Nick Heidfeld 25/1
Jarno Trulli 30/1
Timo Glock 33/1
Heikki Kovalainen 40/1
Mark Webber 45/1
Nico Rosberg 60/1
Nelsinho Piquet 100/1
Kazuki Nakajima 120/1
Sebastien Bourdais 150/1
Sebastien Buemi 150/1
Adrian Sutil 200/1
Giancarlo Fisichella 200/1

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 17 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I am going to the season opener in Melbourne w00t.gif

pretty exciting, it's just over a week away.

I hope i'll be cheering Renault on towards a victory.

Oh and for those of you stuck in the UK, remember, NO AD'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote this post
tombliboo
post Mar 17 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,110
Looks like thiks will be the year of the Button! Finally the right Brit is in the best car and looks to have very serious chance at threatening Ferrari for the title which is brilliant!

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Mar 17 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Mar 17 2009, 08:03 PM) *
I'll be very disappointed if Heidfeld doesn't finally claim his first victory this season. After last season the BMW should really be the best car. If it isn't I think Kubica has every right to be a bit pissed off too....

I think that is very possible. He was told that his goal is first winn this year and fight for championship.
We will see. happy.gif

In testing in Jerez BMW and Ferrari was the quickest teams. McLaren have some problems, and new Brawn GP is very quick. Will be very ineresanting to see how will go Brawn GP. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 17 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon
I really can't see Button doing it.

IMO a glorified Honda isn't going to do very much, NEXT year, i could see it being a real threat.

down with BMW

+Quote this post
brian91
post Mar 22 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
You are a child of the universe
User: 78
Plans to use the system, in which the driver with most wins becomes champion, from 2009 were scrapped on Friday.

But Ecclestone told the BBC that the system would be introduced in 2010.

+Quote this post
Enif
post Mar 22 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,461
:think: I don't like the new rules. At least this season wll stay with the old ones. I think most of the drivers don't also like these changes, but well... it'll happen.

And for the winner... Alonso has been preparing his car quite good this year, it'ss really probable that he wins. Barrichelo and Button do also have good cars this time. I don't think Hamilton will win again, and so Kimi. Perhaps Massa, but.. I'm not sure. Heidfeld does also have some options, but I don't think he's currently good enough.

I think this time either Alonso or Massa will win and, if not, then Button-Barrichello. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 23 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Queen of Soon
QUOTE(brian91 @ Mar 23 2009, 03:12 AM) *
Plans to use the system, in which the driver with most wins becomes champion, from 2009 were scrapped on Friday.

But Ecclestone told the BBC that the system would be introduced in 2010.

Oh thank god, i won't have to take heavy objects to throw at Bernie down to Melbourne with me cheer.gif

I should be able to find internet in Melbourne somewhere so i can report from the venue on what it all looked like on practise etc. at night after it's all done.

Hopefully my hostel will have internet

+Quote this post
RyanJL
post Mar 23 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,751
Very pleased the changes wont happen this year, now hopefully scrap the plan altogether!

+Quote this post
thisispop
post Mar 24 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Betfair.com Current odds (Last Week's in brackets):

F1 Champion 2009

Kimi Raikkonen 7/2 Fav (5/1 Fav Equal)
Fernando Alonso 9/2 (5/1 Fav Equal)
Felipe Massa 5/1 (11/2)
Lewis Hamilton 13/2 (6/1)
Robert Kubica 9/1 (8/1)
Jenson Button 10/1 (10/1)
Rubens Barrichello 22/1 (20/1)
Nick Heidfeld 22/1 (22/1)
Sebastien Vettel 33/1 (25/1)
Heikki Kovalainen 60/1 (45/1)
Jarno Trulli 75/1 (80/1)
Timo Glock 80/1 (120/1)
Mark Webber 125/1 (110/1)
Nico Rosberg 150/1 (175/1)

250/1 Bar

+Quote this post
tombliboo
post Mar 24 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,110
QUOTE(The Fear @ Mar 23 2009, 02:38 PM) *
Oh thank god, i won't have to take heavy objects to throw at Bernie down to Melbourne with me cheer.gif

I should be able to find internet in Melbourne somewhere so i can report from the venue on what it all looked like on practise etc. at night after it's all done.

Hopefully my hostel will have internet

we'll be watching LIVE on the red button! happy.gif

Good to hear the FIA have been stopped in the tracks for now atleast, let's hope they come to their senses over the next year.

I think Ferrari are still the team to beat with Massa, Renault are a little unpredictable due to their poor form early on but they look good along with the mega-hyped BGP guys, it should be exciting even if it isn't all that close at the front.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 25 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Ooooh the Red Button.

I have been told the best view point fro Melbourne is in the General admission section cheer.gif

In 24hrs time my Qantas jet will be on final approach to Melbourne International. w00t.gif another passport stamp w00t.gif w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post Mar 25 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #16
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830
I can't wait for this season...
I don't think Button will win a Grand Prix this year...but i'm prepared to be surprised biggrin.gif
Imo, Jensen is WAY better than Hamilton will ever be...he's just never really had the strongest car sad.gif (Unlike Hamilton who started off in the McLaren, i.e. the best car...)

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 25 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Queen of Soon
I have never rated either of them as a driver.

Jensen's first win was handed to him on a platter, and even when the Honda has looked quite good he has never done anything with it. I would place a bet that he'll never win a championship, i highly doubt he'd win another GP unless the BGP is 3odd seconds a lap faster than anything else, and i am really looking forward to watching Hamilton epically fail this year. The McLaren is slow and from what i have seen, back to it's usual unreliable self. I knew it was too good to last, a McLaren on the pace for 2years in a row. laugh.gif

In recent times: 2003 - Very quick, 2004 - One of the worst cars on the grid, 2005 - Amazingly quick, p*** poor qualifier until round 4. Still got owned by a far slower Renault, 2006 - horrendous, 2007 - Very quick, 2008 - annoyingly quick again. Shame there was no reason to DQ them this year

I personally am backing Alonso for the Championship this year. Last year we had one of the worst cars on the grid by far and by the end of the season we had the worst engine, but had moved up to the front of the large pack and Alonso owned with a car 1/1.5secs slower than the Ferrari and it's silver clone.

This season's Renault looks to be very much on the pace, and the reliability of the Renault has been superb recently. Especially compared to 2003/2004. Honda only finished 2nd in 2004 because our engine was so horrifically $h!te at least one blew up a weekend.

This weekend should be fantastic, i would quite like a Renault win a la 05/06. That would make me a very happy chappy.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post Mar 25 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #18
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
I don't rate Jenson Button at all. As Phil said, his only win was by luck and he should've won more. Was it 2004 or 2005 where they had the second best car, he got a couple of poles and still never really got that close.

He's never had a decent car because he's obviously not that good a driver. He had a decent Honda for a couple of seasons but that was party due to most other teams being off the pace. Also, the one time he was going to get a decent car Renault got rid and brought in Alonso!

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 25 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon

When Honda and Renault had a huge battle over 2nd place and they got it because the Renault engine preferred to blow up over finishing races, Trulli couldn't keep it on the track, and Jaques was beyond $h!te.

tbf, the Renault didn't deserve 3rd. It was a pig to drive and it was unreliable, but when it worked it trounced Button's superior Honda and gave the red bullet a run for it's cash.

for most of the season the only non ferrari victory was by Trulli.

I wouldn't have called the R23 decent, but it was a race winner at least.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 26 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Albert Park looks a billion times better in the flesh than it does on the telly.

+Quote this post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:52 PM