Jump to content

Featured Replies

I was assuming "Janet" would be Janet Jackson!

 

If only ... 6+ years since Discipline, and counting!

 

  • Replies 172
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do absolutely love 'Ghost' and the appeal (less subjective term than 'quality') is certainly a factor in it being as big a hit as it's set to be, but it's pretty deluded IMO to think that it's selling 100k+ because it's a good song and not because she's the girl that everyone loved from the X Factor, it would never have got near the attention it has without that.

 

Of course her profile allowed it to be heard by more people from the off but I think you're overstating how popular she is/was and understating how obvious a smash it is. If you read the comments on her thread when it premiered, nearly every one (including my own) was in the vein of 'I wasn't interested in her before but this is incredible'. When her 'Chapter 1' title was revealed beforehand, it was criticised for being very presumptuous as most people thought she was unlikely to break through after waiting so long, as interest had gone. The song definitely has a huge appeal independent of her time on X Factor. Also, there is always a stigma associated with X Factor rejects (it's hard enough for X Factor finalists) trying to achieve success, no matter how popular they were on the show or how unjust the elimination was, so I don't think the whole campaign was as easy for Syco as you're implying. They struck gold with 'Ghost'.

I do absolutely love 'Ghost' and the appeal (less subjective term than 'quality') is certainly a factor in it being as big a hit as it's set to be, but it's pretty deluded IMO to think that it's selling 100k+ because it's a good song and not because she's the girl that everyone loved from the X Factor, it would never have got near the attention it has without that.

 

'Appeal' doesnt make any sense in that context- the quality of the song and video production is fantastic and obviously had a lot of money invested in it. It has worked.

As to the rest, that's an argument you have pretty much created with yourself- we were talking about the impact of BGT.

Impressive start for Kylie, that position will improve in tomorrows mid week placings, i did not expect Crystalize to be showing in the early set of midweeks, question is, can it hold on in their for the full week.

 

The wonderful Passenger set for a 2nd top 5 album, i hope he can manage long term success with this album and build up good sales like he managed with all the little lights.

 

Ella Henderson is off to a very fine start, 64k is great sales.

Edited by pippa

Of course her profile allowed it to be heard by more people from the off but I think you're overstating how popular she is/was and understating how obvious a smash it is. If you read the comments on her thread when it premiered, nearly every one (including my own) was in the vein of 'I wasn't interested in her before but this is incredible'. When her 'Chapter 1' title was revealed beforehand, it was criticised for being very presumptuous as most people thought she was unlikely to break through after waiting so long, as interest had gone. The song definitely has a huge appeal independent of her time on X Factor. Also, there is always a stigma associated with X Factor rejects (it's hard enough for X Factor finalists) trying to achieve success, no matter how popular they were on the show or how unjust the elimination was, so I don't think the whole campaign was as easy for Syco as you're implying. They struck gold with 'Ghost'.

 

I agree with this. Many XFactor alumni, who finished higher and released sooner, have tried and failed to break through. Ella left early a long time ago and had a tiny effective fan base going in to Ghost (RT's were 25 to 30 if she was lucky)...

So happy for Ella and Kasabian. Finally a great number 1 single and album simultaneously.

 

Also where is let it go? I think it could still be just sneaking into top 20

And is west coast top 40? Thanks

Of course her profile allowed it to be heard by more people from the off but I think you're overstating how popular she is/was and understating how obvious a smash it is. If you read the comments on her thread when it premiered, nearly every one (including my own) was in the vein of 'I wasn't interested in her before but this is incredible'. When her 'Chapter 1' title was revealed beforehand, it was criticised for being very presumptuous as most people thought she was unlikely to break through after waiting so long, as interest had gone. The song definitely has a huge appeal independent of her time on X Factor. Also, there is always a stigma associated with X Factor rejects (it's hard enough for X Factor finalists) trying to achieve success, no matter how popular they were on the show or how unjust the elimination was, so I don't think the whole campaign was as easy for Syco as you're implying. They struck gold with 'Ghost'.

 

I don't think this website is in any way representative of the general public for the most part. It seems clear to me that there was a huge demand for Ella's material (it had massive hype around it as soon as it premiered due to her name, despite being released nearly 2 years since she left TV screens) and it was bound to do well unless Syco seriously messed up and gave her a total dud of a song. I did say that the appeal of the song itself has helped but it was silly of people to think that she wouldn't have success and she's only had this hit because it's such a great song that has transcended the boundaries of her being an X Factor artist or whatever. This would *not* have been a huge hit independently of the artist. That is only ever true of songs by artists that were completely obscure prior to getting their hits. Ella had guaranteed airplay and an established fanbase (and I don't think I am overstating her popularity at all, she was by far the most talked about act of the series alongside James, it seemed like everyone's favourite was one of the two).

 

I wouldn't say there's 'always' a stigma associated with XF acts either. There are plenty of examples of songs by XF acts appealing beyond the XF audience and Ella always seemed, to me at least, like someone who would do that as well. Ella had no stigma to overcome, she has always been 'credible' for an XF artist and that's what makes me think it would have been very hard for Syco to mess up her release. They did 'strike gold' but it's not exactly a sign of marketing genius for them to turn a wide appealing, massively talented X Factor contestant into a wide appealing, massively successful recording artist. Something like 'Story Of My Life' on the other hand...

 

'Appeal' doesnt make any sense in that context- the quality of the song and video production is fantastic and obviously had a lot of money invested in it. It has worked.

As to the rest, that's an argument you have pretty much created with yourself- we were talking about the impact of BGT.

 

'Appeal' is just an objective measure of quality so I fail to see how it makes sense any less than 'quality' :P

 

I don't really get the second part of your post either, it's not like there are only two factors in her success. It's one thing to say that it's only a hit because it was on BGT - that's obviously not true - but that doesn't mean that it *must* have only been a hit because of the sheer quality of the song. It's that mixed with the star power of her name and IMO that is the more important factor in this becoming such a big hit because without that it would have gone totally unnoticed.

 

I agree with this. Many XFactor alumni, who finished higher and released sooner, have tried and failed to break through. Ella left early a long time ago and had a tiny effective fan base going in to Ghost (RT's were 25 to 30 if she was lucky)...

 

But she has thousands and thousands of fans from the show who would be immediately interested in her finally releasing something even if they haven't been constantly following her in the meantime. This is what I mean more than her having a massive existing hardcore fanbase.

I think that's the longest post I've made in a LONG time that isn't some sort of list or chart. I need a lie down ~
Of course her profile allowed it to be heard by more people from the off but I think you're overstating how popular she is/was and understating how obvious a smash it is. If you read the comments on her thread when it premiered, nearly every one (including my own) was in the vein of 'I wasn't interested in her before but this is incredible'. When her 'Chapter 1' title was revealed beforehand, it was criticised for being very presumptuous as most people thought she was unlikely to break through after waiting so long, as interest had gone. The song definitely has a huge appeal independent of her time on X Factor. Also, there is always a stigma associated with X Factor rejects (it's hard enough for X Factor finalists) trying to achieve success, no matter how popular they were on the show or how unjust the elimination was, so I don't think the whole campaign was as easy for Syco as you're implying. They struck gold with 'Ghost'.

 

 

The slow movement up the radio 1 playlist sort of proves the point about radio not being sure whether to jump in and support, esp with the big pop songs not so much with the more trendy urban tracks!

Bre- 'It seems clear to me that there was a huge demand for Ella's material ; and it was bound to do well;' Try telling that to any number of failed XFactor alumnis!

There really is no evidence for that- she finished 6th, had been out a long time, didnt have her own music or 'sound', had a tiny effective fanbase (the rest being unknown and people forget v.v.quickly of these shows).

 

But I dont want to get bogged down in an 'off topic'. Ella co-wrote this, chose it as the single and deserves all the praise coming to her.

 

Ha, that was quite a post alright!

In short (hopefully!),

- The reaction generally was like that from what I saw (as in, elsewhere online and in real life as well :P), not just on Buzzjack. I don't think there was this 'huge hype' there prior to the song's premiere? There was a moderate amount IMO and then people heard the song which fueled the hype instantly.

-

This would *not* have been a huge hit independently of the artist. That is only ever true of songs by artists that were completely obscure prior to getting their hits.
I don't think anyone was arguing this? Just that the appeal/quality of the song shouldn't be underplayed - of course Ella's fame was a big factor in it gaining attention. There's a difference between attention and actual sales though.

- Yes, she and James were the most popular on the show. This show was 18+ months ago though and there's been another series since.

- When you're eliminated early from a high-profile TV show I definitely think there's somewhat of a stigma to overcome regarding being taken seriously. In the back of a lot of (young) people's minds, she's associated with failure. Also, the standard X Factor 'manufactured' stigma is a factor.

- Personally, I think they've marketed her incredibly well. Everything about her image, visuals etc. is slick and big budget. It's clear they have a lot of faith in her and the transition she's made from the '16 year old' to the artist she's being presented as now is very believable IMO.

 

Anyway, 'Ghost' is great, right? ^_^

Other failed X Factor alumnis didn't have the obvious star potential and massive appeal that she had :P And just the fact that the song premiered with so much immediate hype is reflective of the fact that people *didn't* forget about her. I really don't buy the 'she finished 6th so she can't have been that popular' argument either, as I've pointed out the same could have happened to James Arthur if he'd lost their singoff and I fully believe that Ella would have gone at least top 3 if not won had she won that singoff. It's not 'evidence' granted, but it just seems obvious from how much her popular support completely dwarfed that of the other top 6 finishers bar James.
Ha, that was quite a post alright!

In short (hopefully!),

- The reaction generally was like that from what I saw (as in, elsewhere online and in real life as well :P), not just on Buzzjack. I don't think there was this 'huge hype' there prior to the song's premiere? There was a moderate amount IMO and then people heard the song which fueled the hype instantly.

- I don't think anyone was arguing this? Just that the appeal/quality of the song shouldn't be underplayed - of course Ella's fame was a big factor in it gaining attention. There's a difference between attention and actual sales though.

- Yes, she and James were the most popular on the show. This show was 18+ months ago though and there's been another series since.

- When you're eliminated early from a high-profile TV show I definitely think there's somewhat of a stigma to overcome regarding being taken seriously. In the back of a lot of (young) people's minds, she's associated with failure. Also, the standard X Factor 'manufactured' stigma is a factor.

- Personally, I think they've marketed her incredibly well. Everything about her image, visuals etc. is slick and big budget. It's clear they have a lot of faith in her and the transition she's made from the '16 year old' to the artist she's being presented as now is very believable IMO.

 

Anyway, 'Ghost' is great, right? ^_^

 

I'm not going to address the rest of your points as I don't think we're going to get any further than 'agree to disagree' but let's get some actual evidence here...

 

http://i.imgur.com/76jbnqz.png

 

That does not look like 'moderate initial hype then growing as more people heard the song' to me.

 

~

 

But yes, 'Ghost' is great. Yay Ella.

That does not look like 'moderate initial hype then growing as more people heard the song' to me.

 

What I was saying with that comment was that the hype was fueled mainly by the song itself, not by it being any song that happened to be Ella Henderson's first single (i.e. there was moderate hype prior to anyone hearing the song). In that graph, there were a load of views in the first few days due to online sharing etc. before a natural decline that's always going to happen when the artist has a profile. I don't think it disproves my original comment at all? I wasn't under the impression the views would be upward sloping or anything (but then I've never been particularly good with graphs)! Anyway yeah, agree to disagree :P.

I do think with this Ella release they got everything right. She did have potential but realistically she was on the show a year and a half ago and wasn't by any means guaranteed big success. The amount of effort/money they've put into her launch combined with this killer debut single and of course the decent promotional slots have all made this the perfect launch.

 

I hope they can keep this up beyond the first single, although releasing one more single before the album should mean she doesn't immediately go the same way Diana did.

I can't be the only one who thinks Ella has witchcraft to thank for her success? :mellow:
> implying it isn't voodoo

I would have thought you of all people knew voodoo doesn't exist :lol:

again Parlophone and Kylie mess up.... what the point in spending all that time on a video, selling notes by auction etc to sell a few thousand copies.... why not send to radio? I give up... this is supposed to be for charity so you would think they would try their best to promote . will be lucky to stay top 75 this week, unless they reduce price on ITunes to 59p

 

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.