Jump to content

Radio 1 Playlist (04/09/26): Will the bass persuade Bobby to stop the wedding?

Featured Replies

They have to choose their TOTW a few days prior (and I think it’s from a list rather than just whatever they fancy), but if someone is covering for a full week it makes no sense for them not to choose their own TOTW. A producer likely gets in touch a few days before to ask what they want.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • lewistgreen
    lewistgreen

    Spoiler alert, it's me that picks them all every week x

  • gasman449
    gasman449

    I'd like to think the BBC does not want to receive fines for noise pollution 😂

  • The Chemical Brothers - Go and Jonas Blue - Edge of Desire are two that I remember off the top of my head

1 hour ago, J14C said:

They have to choose their TOTW a few days prior (and I think it’s from a list rather than just whatever they fancy), but if someone is covering for a full week it makes no sense for them not to choose their own TOTW. A producer likely gets in touch a few days before to ask what they want.

maybe. Most presenters have the same taste anyways so wouldnt be shocked if they pulled that

Radio 1 have definitely expanded their recurrents list. Yesterday on Going Home, I heard 'Daisies' by Good Neighbours which was released on 3rd July 2024 and spent 5 weeks on the C-List between 27th September 2024 and 1st November 2024. Not complaining though as I do love it!

2 hours ago, earthisturning said:

Radio 1 have definitely expanded their recurrents list. Yesterday on Going Home, I heard 'Daisies' by Good Neighbours which was released on 3rd July 2024 and spent 5 weeks on the C-List between 27th September 2024 and 1st November 2024. Not complaining though as I do love it!

it had a 1tro, you sure it didnt go to the b list?

3 minutes ago, Jay79x said:

it had a 1tro, you sure it didnt go to the b list?

Definitely C-List! Very rarely C-List songs get 1tros.

2 minutes ago, earthisturning said:

Definitely C-List! Very rarely C-List songs get 1tros.

i mean it happened in advance this year with Zone and What's Done Is Done but that was linked to Big Weekend so it doesn't count. Very confused as to why that has one.

2 hours ago, earthisturning said:

Radio 1 have definitely expanded their recurrents list. Yesterday on Going Home, I heard 'Daisies' by Good Neighbours which was released on 3rd July 2024 and spent 5 weeks on the C-List between 27th September 2024 and 1st November 2024. Not complaining though as I do love it!

Not to rain on the fact that they played a rare (and good) song, or the promising signs of wider recurrent variety, but I do recall hearing 'Daisies' randomly more often around the time Justin Bieber's track of the same name was on the A-list, indicating that it was perhaps one of the lesser-heard tracks which can randomly end up getting played instead of a track of the same name on the current Playlist (further proven by the fact that a couple of Good Neighbours - 'Daisies' such plays were top of the hour/after newsbeat plays, which are normally reserved for a-list songs like Bieber's) something I can remember happening on a few occasions - though again only with tracks on the current 'Playlist', so perhaps yesterday's was actually 'supposed' to be Good Neighbours' track (play data here), although the likelihood probably still is that it was played 'accidentally' instead of Bieber. Recent examples of such instances include Ed Sheeran's 'Camera' being played instead of Charli XCX's 'Camera' (Sheeran's track hadn't been played since last November, just after it was on the A-list), and earlier this year Becky Hill's 'Outside of Love' (previous play May 2024) being spun instead of J Hus and Skepta's 'Outside' (at that point B-list) - Becky's track was introduced with a 20-second ramp, which is pretty much only heard before Playlist tracks, further indicating the fact that it was played 'accidentally' instead of J Hus & Skepta. I do wonder whether these instances are accidental, or perhaps they decide to treat us to a rarely/never-heard track rather than one which many of us would likely have heard very often.

My radio playlisting/Last.fm geekery does extend to being able to notice tracks which have been 'brought back', as well as those dropped and no longer receiving plays (ie the recurrents which have done so, as many tracks remain never to be heard immediately after they are removed from the Playlist), so I would be more than happy to compile a list of such tracks, if that's something you would like to see here. Or I can indeed try and recall more 'accidental namesake plays'. Please don't ask what's wrong with me 😂

3 hours ago, Jay79x said:

i mean it happened in advance this year with Zone and What's Done Is Done but that was linked to Big Weekend so it doesn't count. Very confused as to why that has one.

I do remember that back in 2022 for example there were a few C-list tracks with 1tros - there's a compilation of some online which includes tracks such as DYLAN's 'Nothing Lasts Forever' and Pale Waves' 'Lies', both of which didn't go higher than the c-list. So perhaps C-list 1tros did carry on until 2024, and were maybe dropped not long after 'Daisies' - or maybe, as I hadn't seen this comment/the 1tro chat when I had written my rather extensive previous reply (I started writing it, then had to go out, and finished it after 😂), 'Daisies' may actually be 'brought back' or such, with the 1tro indicating its return - I can't recall whether or not its previous potentially 'accidental' plays had 1tros or not, as I only heard one of them; the others I noticed when looking through the show tracklists.

They go through a random phase of giving C-list songs power intros. I remember the one from 2022, and I’m sure there was another brief period maybe a year later - though it may well have been around the time ‘Daises’ was playlisted. The audio wizard who does them must’ve had some spare time!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.