BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BRITNEY VS. XTINA, Lead Singles. Round Uno!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which is your favorite and why
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 04:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

BABY ONE MORE TIME

VS.

GENIE IN A BOTTLE

Two of the most iconic pop songs of our time, which fueled two pop stars to reach iconic careers! Which is your favorite and why? Preferred music video? Preferred artist at the time?

SPILL THE DETAILS.

This post has been edited by toxic_air: 3rd March 2015, 04:11 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 3rd March 2015, 04:10 AM
Post #2
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Hit me baby one more time

+Quote this post
Nick Jonas
post 3rd March 2015, 04:12 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,481

...Baby One More Time!

Why? Because it's amazing!!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 3rd March 2015, 04:15 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Baby...' and I don't just mean this as a Britney stan. It just had EVERYTHING I wanted in a pop song. 'Genie In A Bottle' was too serious for my 10 year old self. Despite Christina looking absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of comparing others like Spice Girls (Britney) or All Saints (Christina) and Girls Aloud (Britney) or Sugababes (Christina) etc... I like my fair share from all artists, I just liked my pop a bit more pure/innocent and less serious/moody (although Christina most certainly had her fair share of Bgum pop - 'Come On Over' for example).

Then of course the VIDEO to BOMT... one of the best/most iconic videos not only of our generation but of all time.

So yeah. BOMT wins for me (but I do like a lot of Christina's stuff, so no shade from me!)

---

I hope all of the above makes some sort of sense haha.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 04:16 AM
Post #5
Group icon

Both are truly pop music at its best, but it's got to be 'BOMT'. It still stands as my favorite song of all time.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 04:18 AM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Mar 2 2015, 11:15 PM) *
'Baby...' and I don't just mean this as a Britney stan. It just had EVERYTHING I wanted in a pop song. 'Genie In A Bottle' was too serious for my 10 year old self. Despite Christina looking absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of comparing others like Spice Girls (Britney) or All Saints (Christina) and Girls Aloud (Britney) or Sugababes (Christina) etc... I like my fair share from all artists, I just liked my pop a bit more pure/innocent and less serious/moody (although Christina most certainly had her fair share of Bgum pop - 'Come On Over' for example).

Then of course the VIDEO to BOMT... one of the best/most iconic videos not only of our generation but of all time.

So yeah. BOMT wins for me (but I do like a lot of Christina's stuff, so no shade from me!)

---

I hope all of the above makes some sort of sense haha.

Perfectly put, tbh. Add the point that Max Martin is just a f***ing genius and you've basically covered all my major points.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 3rd March 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

lol

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 3rd March 2015, 09:34 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Christina...just so I thought I would be the only one to give her a point laugh.gif

In reality, of course Britney has my point...forever and for always.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(Nick F1 @ Mar 3 2015, 03:54 AM) *
lol

Well it may be less disputes now, but at the time I remember people arguing over who/which is better all the time. ohmy.gif

(Age has brought them to the light)

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 3rd March 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

Genie, its legit still my fav Xtina song smile.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 3rd March 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Genie's always had it for me, so many memories attached and I just think it's a stronger debut.

Though 'Baby...' is still an all-time classic so it's no detriment to that.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 3rd March 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

Definitely prefer 'Genie in a Bottle'. Though I like both songs, 'Genie' just has some sort of magical feeling about it.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 3rd March 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

I also prefer 'Genie'. It is just a wonderful pop song. Both incredibly strong débuts though.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Christina with the spike in votes!

+Quote this post
Umi
post 3rd March 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #15
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659

I've put a lot of thought into this ohmy.gif Not to be too serious but I've chosen 'Baby' and here are some random reasons why I chose it (it basically reads as a rant about hating 'Genie'):

Song-wise 'Baby' is stronger to me. I feel like a lot of songs in the same style as 'Genie' from that time feel decidedly limp now even though they were fabulous back then. 'Genie' still has a catchy hook but I just listened to it because of this thread and it can really feel like a song with no huge direction. 'Baby' still packs a punch and I say that as someone who really can't claim bubblegum pop to be a massive love of mine in general.

Video-wise 'Baby' has to win too. It's still such a fun video that is bursting with personality and effort to be something both different and great. That's exactly why it's such an iconic video and why there are so many things to go "wow" at when rewatching it. The schoolgirl outfit, the ticking clock, Britney sat down in the middle 8 with the basketball and even the dancing teacher are all special moments in the video. 'Genie' on the other hand doesn't really have any of those iconic scenes and mostly feels full of clunky attempts at sensual dancing. Bland package in comparison.

'Genie' doesn't really feel like a Christina song. Like you don't even get any vocal exercises in there and it seems so "Christina told to write a "controv" song to get a hit". I don't really feel like it comes naturally to her. Also, the song feels kinda limp nowadays for some reason. Was a jam in the past and is very much iconic for her but I'm not sure that's a good thing. Feel like she'd prefer being associated with stuff like 'Beautiful' (which shows off her always strong ballads), 'Ain't No Other Man' (a souvenir of the (brief) period where she could experiment and entrance the public in doing so) and 'Lady Marmalade' (a duet with three other big stars where she outshone the others by a country mile). Thankfully those songs are all associated with her alongside 'Genie'. Doesn't improve the comparison though, 'Baby' is infinitely more fitting as Britney's classic début.

tl;dr: 'Baby' is super mega iconic, 'Genie' is too but just isn't as perfect.

p.s I'm listening to 'My Only Wish (This Year') and it's just as fabulous in March
p.p.s I look forward to rating more Brit vs Xtina stuff, random suggestions being Slave vs Dirrty and a rate of the rest of their respective début album campaigns (Christina had 3 #1s from hers after all...) and a rate of their CHRISTMAS SONGS
p.p.p.s Merry March

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #16
Group icon

LMFAO!

I could not agree more on GIAB not sounding like a Christina song, in regards to the rest of that album and her discography. It seemed more like a calculated and extremely well executed track brought in as their answer to 'BOMT'. I don't think they were going in that low key sexual direction, whatsoever... until the mega success of BOMT. Just see "Reflection" for Mulan, and the rest of the singles for that album. They went from selling her voice to selling her image as a Lolita as well.

ALSO, on those future Brit vs. Xtina rounds....

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 3rd March 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Baby one more time, just an absolutely classic and iconic pop song heart.gif

+Quote this post
Umi
post 3rd March 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659

QUOTE(toxic_air @ Mar 3 2015, 04:29 PM) *

Would also like to chuck in a vote for 'Gimme More' vs 'Ven Conmigo (Solamente Tú)' kink.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd March 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #19
Group icon

I just youtubed that, never even knew it existed ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd March 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Baby One More Time definitely, but both songs are fantastic, I predict that Britney will slay for the first couple of rounds and then when we reach the Stripped era, that's when it will get interesting

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 08:36 AM