Posted May 19May 19 A companion to the 21st Century retro thread.Currently we have Michael Jackson’s album track Human Nature at number 6 after first charting in 2009.Great result imo, it’s my favourite MJ album track.2026 tracks: Fleetwood Mac - LandslideMichael Jackson - Human Nature
May 19May 19 Fletwood Mac Landslide also recently debuted, and in a minor way Chris Rainbow finally posthumously got a chart entry in the 100 of USA and UK. I was a fan of his Solid State Brain in 1974 when he was known as Christopher Rainbow and popped up on some UK pop shows and radio. Human Nature was on the B side of Gone Too Soon in the 90's so it helped that one chart (I know I used it as an excuse to chart it over the less-good A side). It is a nice song Human Nature and should have been a single in late 84 instead of the Motown cash-in's 👍
May 19May 19 These 20th century songs have all returned to the top 40 this year too:Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)The Police - Every Breath You TakeDiana Ross - Upside Down Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now David Bowie - Heroes The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go The Cure - Boys Don't CryKate Bush - Wuthering HeightsMadonna - Into the GrooveMichael Jackson - Billie JeanMichael Jackson - Beat ItMichael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get EnoughThe Jackson 5 - I Want You BackSo quite the '80s-fest mostly thanks to Stranger Things, the Michael biopic and TikTok! ❤️
May 19May 19 How wonderful that Boys Don't Cry charted again, I'm not sure I had registered that happening. It's such an unlikely choice of song to become popular again, but very deserved - and for it to match its peak as well!
July 10Jul 10 20th century songs that have experienced a top 40 resurgence since I last posted here:Fleetwood Mac - DreamsFleetwood Mac - EverywhereBaddiel, Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three LionsOasis - WonderwallJourney - Don’t Stop Believin’
July 17Jul 17 Quite a few 20th century top 40 returnees this week:Fat Les - VindalooThe Beatles - Hey Jude ❤️Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart ❤️Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
August 30Aug 30 Since I last posted, these returned to the top 40:Dolly Parton - JoleneDolly Parton & Kenny Rogers - Islands in the Streamand this shockingly became a top 40 hit for the first time after previously peaking at #47:Dolly Parton - 9 to 5🕊️❤️
September 18Sep 18 A couple of '90s songs are back in the top 40 this week:TLC - 'No Scrubs'Oasis - 'Don't Look Back In Anger'
Create an account or sign in to comment