September 6Sep 6 If you asked the guy in charge of coop radio the day after she passed youd think it was Islands in the stream given it was played every half hour Id say its tough because Jolene and 9-5 always seem neck and neck these days Most people know Dolly is the original singer of IWALY but thats essentially Whitneys signature hit
September 7Sep 7 I'd say Jolene as that's the first one that came to mind but 9 to 5 is a close second. As much as I Will Always Love You is a massive song, most people associate it with Whitney Houston to the point it may even be her signature song 😅
September 7Sep 7 Maybe everyone already knows this but I just recently found out about the inspiration for 'Jolene' and thought it was sweet. Dolly was giving an autograph to a girl called Jolene, she hadn't heard the name before and thought it was beautiful, told her she'd write a song about it. Then when walking back she tried to keep the name in mind by singing it over and over as a tune to herself. ❤️
September 7Sep 7 'Jolene' is the signature hit for her I'd say as well. I didn't hear '9 to 5' too much as a kid though so could be different if I did hear it a lot then.
September 7Sep 7 On 03/09/2026 at 18:31, CRAZY CHRIS said:Yes she made more money from that than any other. Refused Elvis permission to record it in 1975 as he wanted half the songwriting royalties which she refused. Good for her. She felt it was a woman's song too.He siunds like Beyoncé 😆😆 Wanting songwriting royalties whilst not um writing any music ever Edited September 7Sep 7 by Summer FRUITS!!!!!
September 7Sep 7 3 hours ago, matto said:Maybe everyone already knows this but I just recently found out about the inspiration for 'Jolene' and thought it was sweet. Dolly was giving an autograph to a girl called Jolene, she hadn't heard the name before and thought it was beautiful, told her she'd write a song about it. Then when walking back she tried to keep the name in mind by singing it over and over as a tune to herself. ❤️This is an urban legend. Kolwne is based on a bankteller who kept flirting with her husband. It's not based on a child. She already had the song ready and used the child's name to keep the bankteller's identity a secret. That's it.
September 7Sep 7 21 minutes ago, Summer FRUITS!!!!! said:This is an urban legend. Kolwne is based on a bankteller who kept flirting with her husband. It's not based on a child. She already had the song ready and used the child's name to keep the bankteller's identity a secret. That's it.Hm, she literally said it in a video I saw (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't AI lol xo)
September 7Sep 7 3 hours ago, matto said:Maybe everyone already knows this but I just recently found out about the inspiration for 'Jolene' and thought it was sweet. Dolly was giving an autograph to a girl called Jolene, she hadn't heard the name before and thought it was beautiful, told her she'd write a song about it. Then when walking back she tried to keep the name in mind by singing it over and over as a tune to herself. ❤️Then the girl hears it and she's like, "she's written a song about me trying to steal her man"
September 7Sep 7 3 hours ago, matto said:1 hour ago, matto said:Hm, she literally said it in a video I saw (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't AI lol xo)Celebs say all sorts of stuff in interviews. The song was already made, but she eas looking for a name for the bankteller (can't use the actual name), and liked the fan's name and chose that. But the song isn't about a child.
September 7Sep 7 44 minutes ago, Summer FRUITS!!!!! said:Celebs say all sorts of stuff in interviews. The song was already made, but she eas looking for a name for the bankteller (can't use the actual name), and liked the fan's name and chose that. But the song isn't about a child.Makes sense. Tbh I only know the 'Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene' bits off the top of my head...
September 7Sep 7 2 hours ago, Summer FRUITS!!!!! said:He siunds like Beyoncé 😆😆 Waiting songwriting royalties whilst not um writing any music everHey beyonce changed 2 words thats a lot for her 😅
September 16Sep 16 Author Interesting 9 to 5 behind here but has had the better run in the chart. But that’s effected by other things.
Create an account or sign in to comment