Jump to content

Featured Replies

Posted

I take photos of song titles. I welcome you to join me.

This started when I was working near a shop called Under the Bridge in Dublin. One day, I thought to myself "I wonder how many shops or restaurants have song titles for names in Dublin". I took a wander around a few of the streets thinking I might find 5 or 10. I found 21

That was 5 years ago and it became a hobby since then. I now have more than 350. It has expanded way beyond shop names - posters, signs, app names, maps, street names, warning sings. Almost anything. Most are from Dublin but several are from Copenhagen, Brussels, Amsterdam, Bergamo, Waterford.

I exclude books because it became far too easy to wander around a book shop and find hundreds.

There are 3 rules

  1. It has to a be a song title that I already know and I know who it is by. I can't just take a pic and then try to find a song title to match it.

  2. The text must be on its own. It cannot be in the middle of a sentence or phrase.

  3. I can't take multiple pics for the same song - unless there are multiple songs with that title, like Stop or Go.

I'm going to start posting them in batches according to the first letter.

Please join me and post your own.

Edited by Colm

  • Replies 27
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Electric Six Stereophonics Travis Coldplay Beyonce Pearl Jam REM Hole Erasure Joy Division Shampoo East 17 Jessie J Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff

  • Day 2 Derek and the Dominos Tori Amos Mansun Enya Cox Dempsey (very niche ) U2 David Bowie Jive Bunny Jeff Buckley Des'ree Annie Lennox Kate Bush The Cure Lana Del Rae Crow

  • These are brilliant! I hadn't appreciated the first ones you posted all began with the same letter, impressive to find so many for just D and L! Slightly tangential, but to my sense of humour, I took

Posted Images

  • Author

D (2).jpg

Curiosity Killed the Cat

D2.jpg

Electric Six

D.jpg

Stereophonics

D (13).jpg

Travis

D (12).jpg

Coldplay

IMG_20241124_203026.jpg

Beyonce

D (5).jpg

Pearl Jam

D (9).jpg

REM

IMG20260721192238.jpg

Hole

IMG20260327171726.jpg

Erasure

IMG20260314222259.jpg

Joy Division

IMG20251025170710.jpg

Shampoo

IMG20260716170413.jpg

East 17

IMG20250829132056.jpg

Jessie J

D (10).jpg

Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff

Edited by Colm

We have a big world map on the kitchen wall. Would it count if I just take photos of countries (names are written)? 😂 I have three for Tori Amos alone already - Ireland, China and Russia!

  • Author

Day 2

La.jpg

Derek and the Dominos

Le (3).jpg

Tori Amos

Le (2).jpg

Mansun

le (4).jpg

Enya Cox Dempsey (very niche )

Le (5).jpg

U2

lE (6).jpg

David Bowie

LE.jpg

Jive Bunny

Li (2).jpg

Jeff Buckley

Li (3).jpg

Des'ree

Li (4).jpg

Annie Lennox

Li.jpg

Kate Bush

Lo (2).jpg

The Cure

Lo (3).jpg

Lana Del Rae

Lo (5).jpg

Crowded House

Lo.jpg

Primal Scream

Lu (2).jpg

Madonna

Lu (3).jpg

Radiohead

Lu.jpg

Britney Spears

Lo (4).jpg

Cicero

Edited by Colm

  • Author
12 minutes ago, matto said:

We have a big world map on the kitchen wall. Would it count if I just take photos of countries (names are written)? 😂 I have three for Tori Amos alone already - Ireland, China and Russia!

Yes. That would be fine.

Along with those, these are the countries that I know are song titles

A_______

E_______

H_______

P_______

M______

L_______

  • Author
10 minutes ago, matto said:

Another one for Tori Amos, I swear I'm only gonna spot Tori Amos songs now:

honey.jpg

There's a lot of Tori in my photos.

These are brilliant! I hadn't appreciated the first ones you posted all began with the same letter, impressive to find so many for just D and L!

Slightly tangential, but to my sense of humour, I took these photos a couple of years ago:

20240705_090843(1).jpg

I know this is a "bowl" sign, but the pins in the middle make it look like "BOB", "OOO", "WOW", "LOL" kink Well, 'Wow' is a song title for both Kate Bush and Kylie at least, so I'm counting it!

20240810_083714.jpg

...aaaaand that's why coffee's for grown ups!

  • Author

Day 3

RA.jpg

Pulp

REA.jpg

S Club 7

REB.jpg

David Bowie

RED.jpg

Basement Jaxx

REI.jpg

UNKLE feat, Ian Brown

REL.jpg

Frankie Goes to Hollywood

REM.jpg

Blueboy

REN.jpg

Pet Shop Boys

RENA.jpg

M People

REP.jpg

Tamta

RES.jpg

Aretha Franklin

RET.jpg

James Blake

RIS.jpg

The Cardigans

RO (2).jpg

Portishead

RO (3).jpg

Def Leppard

RO (4).jpg

Outkast

RO (5).jpg

Primal Scream

RO.jpg

Beautiful South

ROX.jpg

The Police

RU.jpg

Kaiser Chiefs

  • Author

Day 4

halo.jpg

Texas

handle with care.jpg

The Traveling Wilburys

happy hour.jpg

The Housemartins

hardcore uproar.jpg

Together

hello.jpg

Adele

help.jpg

The Beatles

here to stay.jpg

New Order

heroes.jpg

David Bowie

history.jpg

The Verve

hit.jpg

Sugar Cubes

hom.jpg
Depeche Mode

honey.jpg

Moby

horses.jpg

Patti Smith

hotel.jpg

Tori Amos

hourlgass.jpg

Squeeze

Edited by Colm

Well I've got this on my wall... lol

20260930_165442.jpg

I'm not being serious, I know that doesn't count smile

But I've just seen this thread and what a great idea! Nerdy but excellent! I might start doing it, though I think I'll restrict myself to songs that were UK top 40 hits (and that I know obvs).

Edited by Mangø

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.