BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BJSC Re:LOADED IV, live from al-Robāt, Persephonia
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 5th August 2015, 02:58 AM
Post #1
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Beyoncéing this contest in the middle of the night when no one will see it

HISTORY

Resident BJSC historian Qassändra has as of yet not responded to a request for comment on the context of this legendarily bleak contest. Safe to say though, there's not a lot to talk about with regards to BJSC IV. I'll have a go with the FACTS and Qassi can add anything I may have missed thanks to the small technicality of not yet being on the forum when this contest took place if he wants.

Hosted in Bhangra following their victory in BJSC III with Dixie Chicks, IV is the smallest contest on record with just 20 entries, a number regularly surpassed within minutes upon the opening of confirmations for more recent contests, and barely over half the size of some recent semi-finals. Why so small? Four of the original BJSC countries that I believe were recruited from an external Eurovision forum by Boyan to boost participation numbers (Astoria, Phinechendza, Romeria and Spila) left the BJSC building to never return. Rabbitland vanished presumably due to being found out as an alias of United States of Ibiza. Camdonia and Tapatilandia also withdrew from the contest but would later make comebacks.

The only replacement for any of these exiting nations was a single debutant, a little country by the name of Elëdan, who promptly finished dead last with their first entry 'Kolybel'naya' by Polina Gagarina. However, they'd quickly go on to bigger things (a story for Re:LOADED V) and have remained in the contest in various forms almost continuously to this day (they now trade under the name of the mathematical constant π). Gagarina would also eventually go onto bigger things, coming 17th in the semi-final of BJSC LXV for Pendulous Republic of Nørk finishing runner up in the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest for Russia.

As well as being the smallest contest it's also - perhaps inevitably - the contest with the lowest scoring winner. FSR Rontvia took the title with Sara Bareilles' 'Love Song' despite not even cracking the three figure mark, ending on 98 points. That'd see it finish dead last in a couple of recent contests. Comparing apples and oranges of course but still interesting to note. That was the first win for FSR Rontvia, who have gone on to be the country with the most wins with a massive eight, most recently in BJSC LXIV. Utopia came second with The Pipettes' 'Pull Shapes', their second ever entry, but they are still yet to achieve a first win. Frahliso's 4th place and Kingdom of Waldia's 19th place (on their second and final appearance) also remain national records.

VOTING

As usual with the first few contests there are a whole bunch of entries that the current veto framework would implode at. And as usual one of those is Kylienips, who sent million selling New Order classic 'Blue Monday'. The United States of Ibiza (now Xanaga) sent something even more ridiculous in the context of BuzzJack, Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)'. But it's not all cheapness, I'm sure there will still be a few discoveries for people here.

Please send your votes in a PM to this account (『bré』). This will follow the standard Eurovision voting system, 12/10/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 for your ten favourite songs. It's slim pickings I know. Everyone and anyone is allowed to vote and I FULLY ENCOURAGE everyone to do so, let's see if we can beat the original number of votes (20, as everyone submitted votes in the original contest, something which remains pretty rare). It won't take long to listen through this lot.

The deadline is 23:59 BST on the 13th of August, with results the next day (will probably accept any votes up until the results thread opens to be honest, and I'll try to make that not months later like previous editions of this kink.gif) I know it's a short deadline but there aren't many songs and Ryan is running a tight schedule which I haven't helped by taking so long to get this started. tongue.gif

Oh and because ANY EXCUSE, we have new (well, old) countryballs! Click on them to hear their songs biggrin.gif All country names and flags have been changed to their present day incarnations, however the running order is preserved from the original contest. These are all old songs so apologies if the YouTube links are a bit low quality, I picked the most OFFICIAL looking upload for each song (or the one with the most views if there wasn't an official upload).

01 Land of Jack // Hoobastank - The Reason

02 Angelicland // Scissor Sisters - Lights

03 Bokia // Emmanuel Moire - Là Où Je Pars

04 Mdiče // Wynter Gordon - Surveillance

05 π // Polina Gagarina - Kolybel'naya

06 Rivandia // Basia Bulat - In The Night

07 Botanikka // Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats

08 Farahtyn // Atomic Kitten - If You Come To Me

09 New Alba // Scarlet - Independent Love Song

10 Federal Republic of Ashton // Dragonette - True Believer

11 Kylienips // New Order - Blue Monday

12 Frahliso // SEREBRO - What's Your Problem

13 Xanaga // Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)

14 Bhangra // Mike Oldfield - Man In The Rain (feat. Cara Dillon)

15 Qärenfanghoney // Stefy - Chelsea

16 Simondly // The Modern - Industry

17 FSR Rontvia // Sara Bareilles - Love Song

18 Cascadia // Moby - South Side (feat. Gwen Stefani)

19 Kingdom of Waldia // Paulina Rubio - The Last Goodbye

20 Utopia // The Pipettes - Pull Shapes

~

VOTED SO FAR (16)

Aprogonia
Federal Republic of Ashton
Botanikka
Ethanola
Farahtyn
FSR Rontvia
Jadakissnia
Persephonia
Qärenfanghoney
Ramrynia
Sandebörg
Séyetana
Terra Avium
Ultraviolenceland
Unovia
Vülkyria
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th August 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Countryballs! You've outdone yourself here Bré.

I think we need to get more than 20 voters here, that should be pretty easy right?

I THINK, without listening through that I'll be championing a Pipettes victory but we'll see.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th August 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

True Believer had better do well. It's still utterly lush

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 5th August 2015, 02:28 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

This looks fantastic Bré, and the history is a fantastic read too!

I haven't actually looked at this line-up of songs before now, and I already recognise some I love.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th August 2015, 02:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Love Song looks so cheap now, shamefully I think this was after it had smashed in the US but a few months before it hit the UK. Funnily enough, the song had been lingering in my personal chart top five since before BJSC I, when it was a demo I stumbled across on MySpace...maybe I should have sent it to the first contest! (or just not sent the live version of Believe Again drama.gif)

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th August 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

THREE of my all time top 100, two of my top 20! :cheeseblock:

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th August 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Even though it's only 20 songs, there weren't really any spectacular duds like the first three contests. High quality looking back.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 5th August 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

I missed your PM Bré!

There wasn't really a great deal going on in IV. The lack of momentum and enthusiasm carried on from III, particularly with III not having an especially inspired winner in Not Ready To Make Nice, which though fantastic was a song plenty of contestants were already familiar with.

From what I can recall, the lack of activity didn't get a huge deal of comment at the time, but there were whisperings behind the scenes that perhaps the contest had just been a bit of a popular novelty around the holiday period and that there wasn't really the demand for it as a monthly event. It didn't come to anything (yet), but it was a bit of a worry that this was comparatively an inspired contest when set against the three that had come before, and interest was at its lowest level.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 5th August 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

Ah the first of three appearances for Jenny Frost from Farahtyn.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th August 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Aug 5 2015, 04:15 PM) *
From what I can recall, the lack of activity didn't get a huge deal of comment at the time, but there were whisperings behind the scenes that perhaps the contest had just been a bit of a popular novelty around the holiday period and that there wasn't really the demand for it as a monthly event. It didn't come to anything (yet), but it was a bit of a worry that this was comparatively an inspired contest when set against the three that had come before, and interest was at its lowest level.

Interesting. Does that mean that people weren't particularly interested in discovering stuff yet and it was a mindset of being more put off by having to listen to new music than being put off by seeing songs you already knew very well grab all the glory? That seems just such an alien attitude to me although perhaps my experience is shaped by always seeing this as an instituition rather than something that wasn't definitely going to continue.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 5th August 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #11
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

In retrospect the concurrence of more creative entries and reduced interest shouldn't *really* have been connected. The lack of interest during the contest was probably more down to the low participation rates coupled with the lack of anything simultaneously new *and* outstanding here - but then, we wouldn't get anything properly like that for another couple of contests.

The contest's identity as a tool for discovering new music wasn't really developed at this point - there was still a big hangover from the argument over people entering obvious entries in II, but it wasn't really the conflict it was later of 'it's just a game' versus 'it's about unknown new music', more 'it's just a game, people should send what they like' versus 'it ruins the game if people just send big hits and turn it into the multichart' - hence why there was still a general acceptance of people sending big old hits or tracks like Pull Shapes that had been released but left unheralded (though I think even then the big old hits like Whitney were a bit of an eye-roller).

But then the big attitude change in this regard wouldn't begin to come for another few contests, the shift wouldn't properly start until after XIV, and there wasn't really anything solid done about it until after Hollywood won.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th August 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #12
Group icon

3 voters so far, aiming for at least 18 more!!

I may attempt to set up a plug.dj session for this but that might not be possible what with the site's current issues.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th August 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Still only had 3 voters so far. Hm ~

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 8th August 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

My laptop has f***ed up and blocked me out of my user profile so I am stuck using my guest profile for the moment. It still has MSN messenger on it. So I am currently a bit screwed for everything.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th August 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Ok thanks to those of you that have voted so far but I have had permission from Ryan to extend the deadline a bit, now to the 13th of August at 23:59. More votes pls, it's only 20 songs and a lot of them you'll know already!!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 9th August 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #16
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Voted smile.gif

+Quote this post
Vülker
post 10th August 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #17
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222

Sent in my votes! smile.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 10th August 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I've had permission from Bray to be able to run a Plug.dj session of these 20 songs later this evening, so we can try and get a few more sets of votes!

It's only 20 songs, so should only take around an hour! I'll start it at around 9.15pm, and it'll be happening here: https://plug.dj/buzzjack-song-contest

Please join! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 10th August 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The playlist is ready, so we'll begin in 15 minutes as long as someone turns up!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th August 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Voted! The contest has indeed come a long way. Still not completely awful by any means though, my top two is absolutely stellar.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:24 PM