BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> All Saints & Solo Singles Rate - RESULTS, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE #6
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 12th May 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Hello & Welcome to the All Saints & Solo singles rate Results, a big THANK YOU to the 28 members whose taken part & made this a great success party2.gif

A reminder of what's to come

All Saints
I Know Where It's At
Never Ever
Under The Bridge
Lady Marmalade
Bootie Call
War Of Nerves
Pure Shores
Black Coffee
All Hooked Up
Rock Steady
Chick Fit
One Strike
This Is A War
One Woman Man
Love Lasts Forever
After All
Message In A Bottle (Ft Sting)

Appleton
Fantasy
Don't Worry
Everything Eventually

Melanie Blatt
TwentyFourSeven (Ft Artful Dodger)
Do Me Wrong
See Me

Shaznay Lewis
Never Felt Like This Before
You
Daddy O (Ft Wideboys)

Thoughts? Predictions ? please feel free to share & everything will be revelled in due course....

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 27th May 2020, 10:47 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 12th May 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Rooting for One Strike and After All to do well! cheer.gif

This post has been edited by :'): 12th May 2020, 09:08 PM

+Quote this post
Scene
post 12th May 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Pure Shores to win! But a shock winner would be fun too. kink.gif

SHAZZA to come through with Never Felt Like This Before. cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th May 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I can't see anything other than 'Pure Shores' walking it with comfortable ease.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th May 2020, 05:08 AM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I've PM'd you SamJudd, I hope you can accept my late rate! wub.gif

~

I can't believe some of the scores that were dished out ohmy.gif For example:

QUOTE( @ April 29 2020, 08:15 PM)
ALL SAINTS:
00.0 One Woman Man
00.0 Love Lasts Forever
00.0 After All
00.0 Message In A Bottle (ft Sting)

Are these "I haven't heard them" zeroes or "I hate them" zeroes? I'm shocked that anybody who likes All Saints would think that these songs (specifically the first three listed) have no redeeming features to them at all. If it's due to not hearing them, it seems a shame to give them such bad scores rather than just leave them blank!

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 13th May 2020, 06:02 AM
Post #6
Group icon
baddest of them all

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ May 13 2020, 07:08 AM) *
Are these "I haven't heard them" zeroes or "I hate them" zeroes? I'm shocked that anybody who likes All Saints would think that these songs (specifically the first three listed) have no redeeming features to them at all. If it's due to not hearing them, it seems a shame to give them such bad scores rather than just leave them blank!

The scores given to the Red Flag and Testament singles were quite shocking! I can also only assume it was because people didn't bother listening to their newer releases , which in that case they should have not even done a rate in the first place!

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 13th May 2020, 06:06 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Dammit, wish I had voted for this (although don’t know the most recent songs)

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th May 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ May 13 2020, 06:08 AM) *
I've PM'd you SamJudd, I hope you can accept my late rate! wub.gif
~

Jay I have included your votes & the first set of results will coming up very shortly...

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th May 2020, 09:37 AM
Post #9
Group icon
User: 13,007

Red Flag era to outdo all expectations please. Pure Shores to win! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th May 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #10
Group icon

Listened to Harry Potter on my cassette player audio

#26. Melanie Blatt - See Me | 4.057

Highest Scores: 10: (Beef Curtains), Lowest Scores: 0: (George.keh, Jesty Cough)

In this selection we say goodbye to 3 flop solo releases & finishing in the bottom position is Melanie Blatt's "See Me", despite not being the lowest scorer, this finishes dead last due to the track above it getting less rates & therefore scrapes above this by the skin of its teeth. Released in April 2005 and coming 19 months after her last solo offering which saw her getting dropped by London Records & ended up signing with independent label Sowlen Records LTD. This track was written for the Robots movie. Although it never ended up on the soundtrack itself, despite being used in the movie itself. Upon release it only managed to peak at a mere #78, therefore not only becoming her last solo release to date, but yet again her solo album got shelved (making this her 2nd album not to get released). This time in favour of the then upcoming All Saints reunion, which honestly was probably for the best as this song is just simply not very good, it lacks a certain charm that Melanie normally has, mainly when she's with her bandmates. Probably due to the lack of funding is why the production feels very sub-par (although the melody is quite pretty) & even if this did get better backing & a more polished production, I doubt its performance would have improved. On the whole just a very lacklustre effort that feels like its missing that certain spark that it needed to be more enjoyable.

#25. Shaznay Lewis - Daddy-O (Ft Wideboys) | 4.08

Highest Scores: 8: (Jonjo), Lowest Scores; 0: (Jesty Cough)

At #25 we have Shaznay Lewis with her 3rd & final solo offering 'Daddy-O' which features UK Electronic duo Wideboys. Released in May 2008 & reached #32 on the UK charts, making this their 2nd top 40 hit for both artists & funnily enough neither of which released anything else after this. This marked her first release in 4 years after getting dropped by London Records & after this effort failed to ignite, Shaznay would continue a more successful career in song-writing for other artists such as Westlife, Stooshe & even wrote material for the original Sugababes line-up Mutya Keisha Siobhan. This is a very MEH! effort despite some pulsating basslines & cheery rhythms, this song sounds well & truly dated even by 2008 standards with her vocals sped up to chipmunk inducing, which adds very little to quite an underwhelming track which has that feel of a mayor step down for Shaznay herself as despite being labelled as the most talented member of All Saints, however here she's simply slumming it in a very forgettable 00's dance track that marked the final nail in the coffin for her solo career.

#24. Appleton - Everything Eventually | 4.574

Highest Scores: 8.5/8: (Jade, Shoat, Sarah), Lowest Scores: -1: (Scene)

At #24 we have another final release solo offering by the Appleton sisters with 'Everything Eventually', released in July 2003 as the 3rd & final single from their debut album 'Everything's Eventual'. Upon release this would end up sealing their fate with Polydor records as they would get dropped due to not only the disappointing #38 peak of this single (despite getting a remix for its release), as well as the label felt that the album selling quite a respectable 70,000 copies, this was too little for their recording contract, despite the first 2 singles doing quite well & charting in the top 5. Of course the press had a field day with this news as they had been gunning for them since the release of their autobiography. The track is a quirky yet laidback number about the simplicity of day to day life with some earthy tones. In many ways this was quite ahead of its time, but even in its more condensed & commercial mix its still a little too out there to work as a single as this really struggled to gain airplay at the time & coming a whole 6 months after the album's release really didn't help matters. Maybe if they went with a different choice such as 'All Grown Up' or 'Supernaturally' as the 3rd single then things may have turned out better for them, but as this stands it was a career killing moment if I ever heard one.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 6th June 2020, 08:22 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th May 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #11
Group icon

More to come later...

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th May 2020, 10:11 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

"Listened to Harry Potter on my cassette player audio" - such an iconic lyric, that song is weirdly endearing laugh.gif

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 13th May 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #13
Group icon
baddest of them all

Queen Mel did not deserve this!

#JusticeforMel

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 13th May 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #14
Group icon
baddest of them all

Shaznay had a feature last year that was not included here by the way!

The audio has more views on YouTube than the After All music video :orangutan:

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th May 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Its ages since he has had a hit so this might change that.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th May 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 13 2020, 10:37 AM) *
Red Flag era to outdo all expectations please. Pure Shores to win! cheer.gif

I'm all for a pure shores win, their best song by a mile.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th May 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #17
Group icon

I can't focus at all you got me twisted

#23. All Saints - Message In A Bottle (with Sting) | 4.865

Highest Scores: 8: (:')), Lowest Scores: 0: (Jesty Cough)

At #23 we lose the first of 2 All Saints singles in this batch, "Message In A Bottle", their most recent effort released in April 2020 as a stand-alone single & features the original singer of the song himself Sting. The track was originally sung by his band The Police back in 1979 & became a chart topping smash for them. This is All Saint's first single since 2018 & produced by Cutfather. Originally performed this with the BBC Concert Orchestra for Children In Need back in 2018, & they liked the song so much that they decided to record a new arrangement of the song for a radio session. They were delighted when Sting himself heard the original demo version & liked it as well as offering to add vocals for the track. Now this track isn't half bad for a cover, it's remarkably faithful to the original. While it's nothing groundbreaking or anything its still a decent effort with some great vocals & some nice reggae tinged production. Although I can see why this struggled on here, firstly not only being a cover of a too well-known song, its also very recent & hasn't had much time to grow on long term fans, plus this doesn't really compare to the greatness of some of their original numbers.

#22. Melanie Blatt - Do Me Wrong | 5.346

Highest Scores: 10: (Beef Curtains), Lowest Scores: 1: (Scene)

At #22 we lose another of Melanie Blatt's solo offerings with her debut solo single "Do Me Wrong", released in August 2003 and peaked at #18 on the UK charts before swiftly dropping out of the charts in 3 weeks. This was meant to be the lead single for her solo album which ended up getting scrapped due to her getting dropped by her label for poor sales of said single. Despite there being plans for another single to be released titled "Blue" (which is far better), which of course was also scrapped & later ended up on Amelia Lily's debut solo effort 'Be A Fighter' in 2013 which funnily enough also ended up getting scrapped. To be honest before this rate I'd totally forgotten about this & re-listing to it again its not hard to see why, it simply doesn't stand out despite some nice acoustic guitars & razor synths, but on the whole it comes across more as a bit clunky where her vocals which do sound nice kinda gets lost in the mix & doesn't really sell the attitude of the lyrics. Its not hard to see why this got lost in the shuffle at the time, simply it's just kinda there.

#21. All Saints - Chick Fit | 5.892

Highest Scores: 9: (Sarah), Lowest Scores: -1: (Beef Curtains)

At #21 is All Saints with 'Chick Fit' which was due to be released in February 2007 as the 2nd & final single from their 3rd studio album "Studio 1". This was originally planned as a proper two-part CD single, but ended up getting cancelled due to poor album sales as well as a fall out between the label & the group themselves, It was then decided by Parlophone to release this as a promo digital only release in order to cut costs. All this caused the single to miss the top 200 altogether, making this not only their first to miss the top 10, but their last release for 10 years. Even if its physical release wasn't cancelled I doubt this would have done well anyway with radio stations not warming to it as well as lack of interest by just about anyone who heard it. The track is far rockier than anything they've done before but the vocals aren't particularly warm or sung, sat on top of a very disorienting track that sounds more like some kind of mega-mix rather than a consistent song. I doubt anything else from the album would have fared any better as by this point they were pretty much done. As for this track its more of a cheap fit & a sour note to go out on.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 19th May 2020, 05:58 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th May 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Chick Fit is the first loss! A great song, deserved better all round.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th May 2020, 11:40 PM
Post #19
Group icon

The results will continue tomorrow & as we've heading into the top 20, the rest will posted in 1's. A little hint for #20 it will be a solo offering, ANY GUESSES...(there's 5 possible choices)

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 13th May 2020, 11:41 PM

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 14th May 2020, 05:58 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Loved Chick Fit.

Also loved the Appleton album in general