BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Whatever happened to…, Artists that disappeared from the charts after the 2000’s
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 1st April 2023, 08:40 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

What happened to these artists and why didn’t they have any hits after the 2000’s? ohmy.gif

Here’s some artists to start the thread off, what happened to these artists?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 1st April 2023, 09:24 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

I’d like Phixx to have a hold on me!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 1st April 2023, 03:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I'm pretty sure Amerie and The Feeling are still releasing music, just not very successful with it.

The mystery of Samantha Mumba's disappearance always bamboozled me.

This post has been edited by Jessie Where: 1st April 2023, 03:44 PM

+Quote this post
tommie
post 1st April 2023, 03:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Apr 1 2023, 03:44 PM) *
The mystery of Samantha Mumbai's disappearance always bamboozled me.

She got branded as being "difficult". If that was right or wrong is another thing, but she didn't give off the best impression to me when she did that Harvey Goldsmith show "Get Your Act Together".

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 1st April 2023, 03:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 1 2023, 04:47 PM) *
She got branded as being "difficult". If that was right or wrong is another thing, but she didn't give off the best impression to me when she did that Harvey Goldsmith show "Get Your Act Together".

Same as when she did that "comeback" documentary. But I mean, every single made the top 6! And it's not like her album massively bombed or anything.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 1st April 2023, 04:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Apr 1 2023, 03:58 PM) *
Same as when she did that "comeback" documentary. But I mean, every single made the top 6! And it's not like her album massively bombed or anything.

Oh I agree - something clearly went down backstage and for some reason no other record label wanted to touch her with a barge pole after that. She was plenty marketable during the entire 00s but for whatever reason nothing else happened.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 1st April 2023, 04:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

This made me go read the Samantha Mumba Wikipedia page, which gives the official line as being the first single from her proposed second album bombed in the US and was short-lived in the UK so she was dropped. Samantha later went on to say there never was a second album and a "restructure" at her record label led her to be dropped.

All sounds a bit fishy to me.

It's a shame because she really was a good pop star and she obviously had a following to chart that high with each of her early singles.

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 1st April 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Interesting regarding Samantha Mumba - as people say your career wouldn’t normally end without at least a few poor performing releases, so does sound more likely that something behind the scenes killed her career stone dead.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 1st April 2023, 04:59 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I'm sure that the restructure of the label had something to do with it, but normally you'd just transfer a fairly successful artist to another (sub-)label if they saw potential in them.

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 1st April 2023, 06:10 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 1 2023, 05:21 PM) *
Oh I agree - something clearly went down backstage and for some reason no other record label wanted to touch her with a barge pole after that. She was plenty marketable during the entire 00s but for whatever reason nothing else happened.

I think it had to be something like this as she was doing well at the time and all the singles did well for her and the album did ok so it didn't make sense for it all to come to a stop so quickly. A very good friend of mine who worked as a guard in Dublin had a comeuppance with her and he said she was an absolute horror to deal with and she was extremely ignorant and used the do you know who i am line alot.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 1st April 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Perfectly Pop

She’s at Birmingham Pride later this year. Dipping her toe back into the waters?

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 1st April 2023, 06:52 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

She did come out of the woodwork in 2020 but the material was... yeah not great.

The Feeling still release music today but sadly their 2008 album only spawned one hit so I guess the fuss round them quickly died off from there which is a shame.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 2nd April 2023, 01:27 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

One I brought up in the survivor was Cassie who seemed like she'd have more of a successful career to me but didn't last more than 2 top 40 hits.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 2nd April 2023, 01:45 AM
Post #14
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Samantha Mumba is a good choice, even Gotta Tell You was massive here.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 2nd April 2023, 08:38 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

The Feeling are still releasing albums, but their lead singer Dan must be minted from Everybody’s Talking About Jamie

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 2nd April 2023, 09:37 AM
Post #16
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Daniel Bedingfield. His first era was massive - his album went 5xPlatinum in the UK and he had international success, including in the US. Then he just completely fell off with album 2, which ended up being his last! For years he’s pretty much been out of sight, out of mind. For someone who was once so huge, he now has less than 20k followers on Instagram.

It’s curious how the public could be all over an artist at first and then abandon them just as quickly. For Daniel was it a case of the wrong material, or the wrong image? Wrong timing? Why didn’t he get another shot?

I feel like his initial level of success should have put him on the path to essentially being the 2000s equivalent of Ed Sheeran in terms of British male achieving worldwide success and sustaining it, but clearly it wasn’t meant to be.

The UK was pretty cold towards Natasha Bedingfield in her second album era too, yet she found great success with it in the US (under a different name and with different artwork than what the UK got). Although she fell off everywhere commercially after that album.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 2nd April 2023, 09:38 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Perfectly Pop

Poor Bedingfields sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd April 2023, 03:04 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Break the tension

I know Daniel Bedingfield's second era was a flop but it's quite weird how (to the best of my knowledge) he hasn't even officially released anything since then.

I can't help but feel perhaps the injuries he sustained in his car accident might have had something to do with it, as in maybe finding working in the music industry too debilitating or something.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 2nd April 2023, 03:25 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

What about Damien Rice? I would have thought he would have had a good career but it seems not.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd April 2023, 03:40 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Break the tension

I think Damien Rice rarely releases music, but when he does I'm pretty sure his albums do quite well don't they?

To be fair, I don't think he's particularly a mainstream artist or a singles big hitter (or ever really has been)

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th September 2024, 10:46 AM