April 12, 20179 yr Doubt it, previous Studio Album from Kendrick in 2015 opened at number 1 with 30k. Ed will probably still have enough Sales to hold off Kendrick and all other challengers until Gorillaz. Steps could mount a challenge in the album chart in a couple of weeks. I guess they'll fall short of No.1 but I could see them shifting 30k! Edited April 12, 20179 yr by gooddelta
April 12, 20179 yr I know it's not an on-trend song or whatever but I am massively shocked by Harry's underperformance. To be scraping 60k if he's lucky? Only just creeping into the Spotify top 10 after nearly a week? He's supposed to be the most popular member of the biggest boyband of this century, I thought he'd be sailing past 100k with ease. In fact when I heard the song on the Friday morning I thought it was so different to general trends it'd be pushing 200k first week and #1 for at least a month. Really shocked by his performance personally and I'm struggling to see him lasting long as a solo star.
April 12, 20179 yr Steps could mount a challenge in the album chart in a couple of weeks. I guess they'll fall short of No.1 but I could see them shifting 30k! Good luck with that but in fairness it has been doing quite well on Pre-order so could pull a surprise that week. Anyway, isn't Ed starting his UK Tour soon? His Album Sales will stay healthy for a few weeks yet.
April 12, 20179 yr I know it's not an on-trend song or whatever but I am massively shocked by Harry's underperformance. To be scraping 60k if he's lucky? Only just creeping into the Spotify top 10 after nearly a week? He's supposed to be the most popular member of the biggest boyband of this century, I thought he'd be sailing past 100k with ease. In fact when I heard the song on the Friday morning I thought it was so different to general trends it'd be pushing 200k first week and #1 for at least a month. Really shocked by his performance personally and I'm struggling to see him lasting long as a solo star. Yes I'm shocked too and was predicting 150-200k actually and an easy No.1 for a few weeks.
April 12, 20179 yr Good luck with that but in fairness it has been doing quite well on Pre-order so could pull a surprise that week. Anyway, isn't Ed starting his UK Tour soon? His Album Sales will stay healthy for a few weeks yet. Indeed, and they pulled off a surprise No.1 in 2011. I don't actually think it will be No.1 as Ed will be too strong to overcome for the reason you mentioned, but can see it opening with healthy sales at No.2.
April 12, 20179 yr I hope Take That can continue closing in on Drake and take the number 4 album position.
April 12, 20179 yr I know it's not an on-trend song or whatever but I am massively shocked by Harry's underperformance. To be scraping 60k if he's lucky? Only just creeping into the Spotify top 10 after nearly a week? He's supposed to be the most popular member of the biggest boyband of this century, I thought he'd be sailing past 100k with ease. In fact when I heard the song on the Friday morning I thought it was so different to general trends it'd be pushing 200k first week and #1 for at least a month. Really shocked by his performance personally and I'm struggling to see him lasting long as a solo star. I thought the same. Usually when something sounds SO different, it can sometimes help to kickstart a new trend, and we see huge sales for it. Granted this was easier to do in the days of held back releases, and this song might be a grower for many and a steady seller. It annoys me a bit that it's underperformed so much because I just want somebody, anybody (!) to break this horribly tired tropical house/future bass monopoly that exists on streaming services, and therefore officially. Edited April 12, 20179 yr by gooddelta
April 12, 20179 yr I thought the same. Usually when something sounds SO different, it can sometimes help to kickstart a new trend, and we see huge sales for it. Granted this was easier to do in the days of held back releases, and this song might be a grower for many and a steady seller. It annoys me a bit that it's underperformed so much because I just want somebody, anybody (!) to break this horribly tired tropical house/future bass monopoly that exists on streaming services, and therefore officially. Its not even going to beat ZAYN's first week sales of 112,497, and I was thinking Harry could at least do 150k. Considering I'm not even a 1D fan, I do like the track as you said its something different, for me the fans were probably expecting a pop track, and they couldn't connect to his new style and sound.
April 12, 20179 yr Yeah, quite sure that Harry is safe for this week. I'm also relatively sure that Symphony will be #1 next week too.
April 12, 20179 yr I'm actually pretty fuming that Clean Bandit is still behind the two Ed tracks and unlikely to overtake. :(
April 12, 20179 yr Author I know it's not an on-trend song or whatever but I am massively shocked by Harry's underperformance. To be scraping 60k if he's lucky? Only just creeping into the Spotify top 10 after nearly a week? He's supposed to be the most popular member of the biggest boyband of this century, I thought he'd be sailing past 100k with ease. In fact when I heard the song on the Friday morning I thought it was so different to general trends it'd be pushing 200k first week and #1 for at least a month. Really shocked by his performance personally and I'm struggling to see him lasting long as a solo star. I expected more at first but honestly it doesn't sound like a hit to me and without his name power, this type of song wouldn't be troubling the top 40 even with radio support I expect, so I don't think it's doing badly by any means. It's the type of song that will sell more albums than singles I think, I really don't think we can make judgements about his longevity as a solo star yet.
April 12, 20179 yr Clean Bandit may yet get to number 1 next week but I do find it slightly odd that people are strongly predicting a song that is set to go down this week. I understand the rationale but for those that don't follow the Chart so closely it is tough one to understand a 3 place improvement after a 1 place decline. I guess the logic is the cumulative Sales are declining less than the other challengers.
April 12, 20179 yr Author Clean Bandit may yet get to number 1 next week but I do find it slightly odd that people are strongly predicting a song that is set to go down this week. I understand the rationale but for those that don't follow the Chart so closely it is tough one to understand a 3 place improvement after a 1 place decline. I guess the logic is the cumulative Sales are declining less than the other challengers. The bit in bold is exactly what people are referring to :kink: and that's ultimately what decides the positions after all. I can't call next week at all right now, Harry will likely go 1-4 (or perhaps a spot or two lower) but as to what will be #1, I really have no clue :o
April 12, 20179 yr I think the other thing to factor in is that although Harry's single is different to what is out there it is not exactly a "new sound". It sounds an awful lot like songs from Prince and Bowie from the past. It's not like he's created some new genre or doing anything original, I wonder if that is also impacting his sales because the type of people he is appealing to already own a lot of this kind of music (done better by others in my opinion).
April 12, 20179 yr I feel as though next week we'll get... 1. Clean Bandit 2. Ed [Galway Girl] 3. Ed [shape] 4. ??? 5. Harry Styles ...got a gut feeling that something is either going to EXPLODE or there'll be a surprise release from a big artist.
April 12, 20179 yr I feel as though next week we'll get... 1. Clean Bandit 2. Ed [Galway Girl] 3. Ed [shape] 4. ??? 5. Harry Styles ...got a gut feeling that something is either going to EXPLODE or there'll be a surprise release from a big artist. DNCE feat. Nicki Minaj - Kissing Strangers :unsure:
April 12, 20179 yr one thing that could benefit Shape/Galway and cost CB the #1 is that Ed's UK tour starts this weekend and sure that's a lot of promo, sure it will encourage people to stream :/
Create an account or sign in to comment