Jump to content

Featured Replies

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 689
  • Views 79.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Popchartfreak
    Popchartfreak

    Silhouettes is one of those songs I liked at the time, great tune, and then forgot about completely until I bought Herman's Greatest Hits CD, at which point I went "Of course! I loved that one". Cliff

  • Popchartfreak
    Popchartfreak

    I'm going to shock-horror opt for the single version of Donovan's to Dylan. It might not be as important, and is clearly influenced by Dylan, but I love it and Donovan more than I ever loved Dylan at

  • Popchartfreak
    Popchartfreak

    I've been intrigued by the Hawaiian Wedding Song title for decades but dont recall hearing it before. I really like The Wedding, childhood memories attached, but no nostalgia here but I do know that t

Posted Images

  • Author

15th - 21st September 1966

26. Winchester Cathedral - The New Vaudeville Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67RRnBlqX9w A song inspired by the music hall era with a very British sound to it so it's a surprise that it went all the way to number 1 in the US. The instrumental at the start sounds like a 70s TV sitcom theme tune while the vocal effect is quite similar to the one in Your Woman by White Town.

32. Sunny - Bobby Hebb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CogTxGCNCSk A very good soul song with chord progressions and an androgynous vocal style. A cover by Boney M will be a top 3 hit in 1977.

33. Run - Sandie Shaw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOU8ze5WucM The dramatic production suits the lyrics which are about being terrified by an ex-partner. I particularly liked the electric organ sound.

39. Summertime - Billy Stewart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAfUgI08KZ8 The third version of the song to chart will be the only hit for the American singer. He does his own thing with it, including some scatting, backed by a lively backing band.

40. I Don't Care - Los Bravos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7-DJMB1S8g A decent enough pop song but the worst of this week's six new entries. It will be their second and final top 40 hit.

Record of the week : 37. Bend It! - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich

There were a few candidates this week but I've chosen this one for its tempo changes, Greek influence and the use of an electric mandolin. It even came with its own dance, the instructions for which were published in music magazines. It will be the biggest hit for the group so far, reaching number 2.

I'm A Boy not one of those radio faves, given the background and lyrics I can see why it might not have been. Not one I have any memories of and one that's just popped up once in a blue moon without making much of an impression on me. just Who-by-numbers.

The Seekers' track I have on their hits cd from when I caught their final tour. It's nice but not famous like hits either side of it. Land of 1000 dances is very chanty but never much of a Pickett fan. It's OK. Little Man is fab, though, my 2nd or 3rd fave Sonny & Cher track of the 60's - Baby Please Don't Go being t'other. One I knew at the time, amazingly, too, when I caught it again in the 70's it was "oh yes!"

Much as I love Sonny & Cher, though, You Can't Hurry Love is iconic and ground-breaking so that has to win. Classic.

'You Can't Hurry Love' and 'Bend It!' are both strong top picks, can't argue with those! I recently re-listened to my favourites from the latter group following Beaky's passing so 'Bend It!' is quite fresh in my head at the moment, a wonderfully quirky record.

Speaking of wonderfully quirky... I really like 'Winchester Cathedral' as well (was stunned when I first found out it went to #1 in the U.S.) although have never picked up on the vocal sounding similar to White Town before, that is a great shout!

The Very Retro Winchester Cathedral was a fave of mine at the time, and I seem to be hearing much more stuff I associate with 1966, still love it's quirkiness, though Peek a Boo was the one I went madder on. Sunny another song I enjoyed, though Georgie Fame is the one I associate with it due to TV I guess, but Bobby Hebb's is fab too.

Sandie's Run is not on my greatest hits LP and I dont think Ive heard it in 60 years since! I like that fairground riffing sound. It's pretty good actually, time i got a more complete hits cd! Very Bond-like. Summertime is a song I knew, so many great versions of it, but Billy's isn;t one I recall hearing before and a bit too scat jazzy for my tastes. Los Bravos I have on the flip side to Black Is Black I think, not bad but not in the same league.

So that leaves me with Dave Dee & co, Bend It was a kiddie fave too, still enjoy it and have yet to chart it, given there are 2 in my chart at the mo. The original Mick is the only man left now, sadly. This would have been my pick at the time, but I may enjoy Sunny most these days.

  • Author

22nd - 28th September 1966

19. All I See Is You - Dusty Springfield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRp0wiUI3M Another stunning, emotional vocal from Dusty, backed by dramatic orchestration. It will be her eighth top 10 hit.

33. Another Tear Falls - The Walker Brothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LuCIUzAP3g Listening to this straight after Dusty makes me think of Scott Walker as being her male singer equivalent. He has the same mixture of power and emotion. The usual epic soundscape is here but the song is under two and a half minutes long and could have been extended a bit.

38. Sunny - Georgie Fame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKzah2ndPI Just a week later, we have a cover of Bobby Hebb's song. It's decent enough but doesn't really do anything new with it.

39. In The Arms Of Love - Andy Williams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAx8hJUg2c A plodding middle of the road song but it's from a film called What Did You Do In The War, Daddy? so might have more meaning to those who went to watch it.

40. Born A Woman - Sandy Posey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7oq_0qosU A country style ballad in which she says that all women are treated badly by men except for her as she has a good one. Her next hit is called 'Single Girl' so I look forward to hearing what that one's going to say.

Record of the week : 31. Guantanamera - The Sandpipers

Dusty Springfield and The Walker Brothers were contenders to add to their previous ROTW awards but I've gone for this debut hit by the American vocal group. The song originated in Cuba in the 1920s. I like this arrangement with the Spanish guitar and the female backing vocalists singing the chorus. Since the 70s, I've known the tune as a football chant and it's still being used today, "you only sing when you're winning", "you're getting sacked in the morning" or "there's only one........(any player whose name has four syllables)" etc. I have heard this version before but never knew what it's called. The single will peak at number 7 and be the first of four hits for the group, spread across the next ten years.

A Dusty gem, give her a ballad and she's unbeatable. So let's see if she is! If anyone can beat Dusty it's The Walker Brothers doing Bacharach...but not quite managing it. Sunny was a fave at the time, and I love Georgie's vocals, but inretrospect I agree Bobby Hebb's is better. Another fave crooner is Andy Williams, but I don't know this track - it's OK. Born A Woman I know more as the B side to the 1975 re-issue of Single Girl. It's quite nice, still, but not enough to challenge Dusty. So that leaves Guantanamera - I also didnt know the name of the group but it was everywhere in the 60's and into the 70's, and def one I knew at the time. Not heard it in yonks, and what a great tune. Surprisingly fab, but Dusty has my top love.

  • Author

29th September - 5th October 1966

17. Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow - The Rolling Stones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFv38gUOTRw I like the bass guitar on this and the trumpets but it's not one of their better efforts and will break their run of eight consecutive top 3 singles, only reaching number 5.

30. Lady Godiva - Peter and Gordon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-LLvEuSKnA An update of the Lady Godiva story set in the present day with the banjo and tuba making it sound a bit like the theme to Steptoe And Son. It will be their final top 40 single. A cover by Alex Day will be a top 20 hit in 2012.

36. Dear Mrs Applebee - David Garrick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgbGLWu4ayA There's a banjo on this one as well and some trumpets. Lyrically, it's a similar theme to Sylvia's Mother by Dr Hook. I quite enjoyed it.

37. Sunny - Cher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTatk7uCbDg For the third week running, we have a version of this song. It's a tribute to her husband Sonny but the title's spelling remains the same. I prefer it to Georgie Fame's version but the original is certainly the best.

Record of the week : 34. Somewhere My Love - The Mike Sammes Singers

With nothing standing out, I've gone for something I haven't heard for more than 50 years which brings back some childhood nostalgia. My mother would have the radio tuned to Radio 2 rather than Radio 1 and this would have been played a lot, even in the early 70s. Like last week's winner by The Sandpipers, it's just a lovely melody sung well by the choir and I always like the balalaika when it's used in a song to give it that European sound. The music is based on Lara's Theme from Doctor Zhivago and the song was the only top 40 hit for the group who were mainly used on other people's records or TV shows. The single spent 26 weeks in the top 40, in two separate chart runs, but only one of them in the top 20, peaking at number 14.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.