Jump to content

James Blunt – Back To Bedlam (2004) 11 members have voted

  1. 1. Favourite Track

    • High
      0
    • You?re Beautiful
      3
    • Wisemen
      2
    • Goodbye My Lover
      4
    • Tears And Rain
      0
    • Out Of My Mind
      0
    • So Long, Jimmy
      0
    • Billy
      0
    • Cry
      1
    • No Bravery
      0
  2. 2. Least Favourite Track

    • High
      0
    • You?re Beautiful
      2
    • Wisemen
      0
    • Goodbye My Lover
      1
    • Tears And Rain
      1
    • Out Of My Mind
      2
    • So Long, Jimmy
      0
    • Billy
      1
    • Cry
      3
    • No Bravery
      0

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Posted

Hello BuzzJack :hi:,

 

Starting this week the moderator team will be taking turns at reviewing albums from the past from their own collections. Myself, Juan Carlos, Roba & Yodnedor will all be sharing with you an album that we have each chosen, three each in total, and sharing a review of that album which will hopefully allow others to be introduced to the album if they have never heard it before! In the fairness of multiple music tastes, each of us have been asked to consider a pop album, a rock album and a dance album to review. :)

 

If time permits, and there is sufficient interest for it, we are happy to arrange listening sessions for you all so we can share in the experience of hearing an album together. :music:

 

This week, I am starting with a pop album that I owned from 2005, and one that many others would have bought at the time too, and that is Back To Bedlam by James Blunt.

 

===============================================

 

91-D7964-F-841-E-41-C6-AEC3-8-F9-EC75-B3674.jpg

Artist: James Blunt

Album: Back To Bedlam

Original Release Date: 11th October 2004

UK Chart Peak: #1

UK Sales: 3,378,000 (as at 2019)

UK Certification: 11x Platinum

 

Tracklisting:

 

1. High

2. You’re Beautiful

3. Wisemen

4. Goodbye My Lover

5. Tears And Rain

6. Out Of My Mind

7. So Long, Jimmy

8. Billy

9. Cry

10. No Bravery

 

Album Length: 39:38

 

 

James Blunt left a career in the British Army to pursue a musical career instead. His debut album was a huge success in 2005 following the release of single You’re Beautiful which became the fourth biggest selling single of the year. Back To Bedlam was however the biggest selling album of 2005 in the United Kingdom. It is named after the famous psychiatric institution of Bethlem Royal Hospital, which is commonly known as Bedlam. He recorded the album in 2003 with producer Tom Rothrock at Rothrock's home studio, using session musicians and performing on many different instruments himself.

 

Five singles came from this debut album; High, Wisemen, You’re Beautiful, Goodbye My Lover and No Bravery.

 

High peaked at #16 in the UK upon re-issue.

 

You’re Beautiful peaked at #1 in the UK.

 

Goodbye My Lover peaked at #9 in the UK.

 

Wisemen peaked at #23 in the UK upon re-issue.

 

No Bravery failed to chart in the UK.

 

  • Replies 62
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'No Bravery' and the album tracks I've not heard before (minus maybe 'Billy') so this'll be new to me as no one has the album in my family AFAIK!

I haven’t heard this all the way through so I’ll take a listen and let you know my thoughts!

 

Hopefully people can get involved and join in!

Didn't know No Bravery was a single

 

My fav track is Goodbye My Lover, the album highlight imho and much better than the infamous You're Beautiful

 

I really liked James Blunt in the very beginning but after You're Beautiful blew up and was everywhere I got a bit tired of it and also his voice started to irritate me a bit. But the album is good, Goodbye my Lover and No Bravery probably being my top 2. I also liked the more uptempo tracks like High or Wisemen. There are a few tracks that I admit I don't recall like Cry or Billy.

looks like No Bravery was not a UK single, per Discogs, only released in France (for some reason)

Always loved this album, I bought it shortly after buying the You're Beautiful CD single (on the week of release when it debuted at No.12, not when it became crazily popular a few weeks later).

 

I still love You're Beautiful, but always really liked Wisemen, Goodbye My Lover, High, Tears and Rain and Out Of My Mind. They all remind me of starting uni.

It's a good album, James is hilarious and self-deprecating, and his records have remained surprisingly good over a long period. Wisemen and Goodbye My Lover are the best tracks. I like to say Goodbye My Lover with a Gloucester accent. Because it sounds right. :)
Shall we do a listen through tomorrow?
Another heads up that we'll be doing the listenthrough for James Blunt's album tonight at 9pm. I hope we can get a few more people join along ^_^
I think we need to postpone due to circumstances beyond our control :(
I’m up for it been a long while since I last heard this album!

I've posted in the album session thread in the chart forum trying to drum up any interest for this. Hope some come along but James Blunt isn't super popular on here so might not be too many people.

 

Looking forward to it now that there isn't any other listen throughs happening for now (until Sunday I believe).

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.