Jump to content

Featured Replies


Yes a great Christmas for releases.

I love the lyrics of Shout but mostly I love the sparse percussion dominating music.

Last Christmas is…. just there now, I really don’t need to hear it again. But Everything She Wants is great, one of my very favourite Wham singles.

I can’t think of a better charity single than Band Aid, the one all others are measured against. It’s brilliant especially when you remember how quickly it was put together.

Both the beautiful San Damiano and the fun Police Officer were songs I didn’t remember before the listen through.

I love I Want To Know What Love Is, as you say one of the best soft rock songs, just emotive enough.

Thank God It’s Christmas is one of my favourite Christmas songs, not too overplayed.

Edited by Jaz13music

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 535
  • Views 38.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Julian_
    Julian_

    1982 had an average score of 5.71, one of the highest of all the years I’ve done so far and comfortably beating 1980 and 1981. There were only 7 scores of 1 given, mostly towards the end of the year.

  • jimwatts
    jimwatts

    My top 40 of 1982 would look something like this: 1 Tears For Fears - Mad World 2 Dexy's Midnight Runners and The Emerald Express - Come On Eileen 3 Rockers Revenge feat. Donnie Calvin - Walking On S

  • Well done for getting through another year! A great read as ever. An attempt at my top 40 from 1982: 01 The Stranglers - Golden Brown 02 Blancmange - Living On the Ceiling 03 Grandmaster Flash and t

Shout is being played by Ken Bruce as I type, it's a classic dramatic pop single and video filmed round these ere parts Durdle Door. 9/10. Last Christmas Ive geard too often but once upon a time it was gorgeous so a 10/10 for that time and Everyhting She Wants was overshadowed but almost as good 9/10. Band Aid ditto, OD'd and covered to death, and very very worthy. If I wasnt so sick of hearing it it would be worth a 9/10 but best I can offer now is 8/10.

San Damiano was and is lovely 8/10, Police Officer not heard in yonks but it was never essential reggae for me, more novelty 6/10. Foreigner was a massive OTT gospel-feel power-ballad, that ending is amazing 10/10. Queen's Christmas effort never really did it for me, a bit too dreary, 5/10. Glitter's OTOH is a singalong once-xmas-anthem banished seemingly forever from the memory (except in Gran Canaria at christmas still) but it's his best record since at least 1973 7/10.

Everything Must Change a bit too MOTR for me but pleasant, 6/10, No Mercy I dont recall much but prob around a 6/10, Bronski Beat's was very odd choice of classic song, downbeat and all, 6/10, Nellie The Elephant a toddler fave from way back, and I didnt hate this version, at least at first 5/10. Step Off Ive not heard in years either, think it was about a 6/10. Ditto Alvin's Xmas song 5/10. Soul Deep, well I dont recall my brother getting any cash from Paul Weller while he was on strike for a year, so let's assume nobody bought it and move on without mentioning it again.

'Blasphemous Rumours' would top its group for me but 'The Riddle' is great too, a timeless melody.

As recently mentioned in my decade-by-decade countdown, 'Two Tribes' is of course my favourite Frankie chart topper, but 'The Power Of Love' is absolutely gorgeous as well - so can't knock that favourite at all, would definitely top this group for me too. What a varied trio of #1s sonically and thematically with the overarching sex -> war -> religion directions.

'One Night In Bankok' is also fantastic! Glad it went down quite well on SyncTube.

'Like A Virgin' isn't a Madonna favourite for me, but I admire how she made such an impact with the VMAs performance for it.

Rounding off on a high as 'Shout' would certainly top that group for me too 🥰 I like the Wham and Band Aid songs as well despite overplay. I can see why the latter is viewed under a more critical lens now but I particularly still enjoy it sonically; the later versions never come close to that original production. I think I discovered that San Solo song through BJSC and it's also fab!

Well, now I'm done covering the 1980s in my countdown thread, a top 40 of 1984 is due and I think it'd look like this...

01 Prince and the Revolution - When Doves Cry

02 Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes

03 Eurythmics - Here Comes the Rain Again

04 Grandmaster and Melle Mel - White Lines (Don't Do It)

05 Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax

06 Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain

07 Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon

08 Giorgio Moroder with Philip Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams

09 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy

10 Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power Of Love

11 Nena - 99 Red Balloons

12 Propaganda - Dr Mabuse

13 Tears For Fears - Shout

14 Cocteau Twins - Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops

15 George Michael - Careless Whisper

16 Ultravox - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

17 Fiction Factory - (Feels Like) Heaven

18 Malcolm McLaren - Madam Butterfly (Un Bel Di Vedremo)

19 Alphaville - Big In Japan

20 Depeche Mode - Master and Servant

21 Billy Idol - Eyes Without A Face

22 Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

23 The Cars - Drive

24 Afrika Bambaataa And The Soul Sonic Force - The Renegades Of Funk

25 Bananarama - Robert De Niro's Waiting

26 Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours

27 Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok

28 Sade - Smooth Operator

29 The Style Council - Shout to the Top

30 Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

31 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

32 Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun

33 The Pointer Sisters - Automatic

34 Depeche Mode - People Are People

35 Rufus And Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody

36 Limahl - Never Ending Story

37 Chaka Khan - I Feel For You

38 Siouxsie And The Banshees - Dazzle

39 The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

40 Laura Branigan - Self Control

Well done for tackling another year Julian, have enjoyed following the thread and SyncTube sessions as ever. What a year *.*

  • Author

Gah I need to get round to my Top 40 of 1984 too. I’ve already worked out that’s it’s a new record high average score across the year.

Okay, here’s my top 40, I’m allowing one favourite song per artist:

  1. When Doves Cry — Prince

  2. Relax — Frankie Goes to Hollywood

  3. White Lines (Don't Do It) — Grandmaster Melle Mel & Grandmaster Flash

  4. Pride (In the Name of Love) — U2

  5. Like a Virgin — Madonna

  6. The Caterpillar — The Cure

  7. Wouldn't It Be Good — Nik Kershaw

  8. Love Is a Wonderful Colour — The Icicle Works

  9. Wood Beez — Scritti Politti

  10. Dr. Mabuse (First Life) — Propaganda

  11. Thieves Like Us — New Order

  12. Madam Butterfly (Un bel dì vedremo) — Malcolm McLaren

  13. Smalltown Boy — Bronski Beat

  14. The Killing Moon — Echo & the Bunnymen

  15. My Ever Changing Moods — The Style Council

  16. I Feel for You — Chaka Khan

  17. I Want to Know What Love Is — Foreigner

  18. Together in Electric Dreams — Giorgio Moroder With Philip Oakey

  19. King of Pain — The Police

  20. 99 Red Balloons — Nena

  21. Radio Ga Ga — Queen

  22. Dancing with Tears in My Eyes — Ultravox

  23. You Take Me Up — Thompson Twins

  24. Shout — Tears for Fears

  25. The Reflex — Duran Duran

  26. Do They Know It's Christmas? — Band Aid

  27. Nelson Mandela — The Specials

  28. William, It Was Really Nothing — The Smiths

  29. Careless Whisper — George Michael

  30. Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops — Cocteau Twins

  31. Gimme All Your Lovin' — ZZ Top

  32. Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four) — Eurythmics

  33. Everything She Wants — Wham!

  34. Michael Caine — Madness

  35. Dancing in the Dark — Bruce Springsteen

  36. One Love / People Get Ready — Bob Marley & The Wailers

  37. Your Love Is King — Sade

  38. Soul Train — Swans Way

  39. Perfect Skin — Lloyd Cole & The Commotions

  40. Time After Time  — Cyndi Lauper

Thanks once again for your fantastic work Julian, and also Jim’s in the accompanying thread of course! Great fun as always, with nostalgia, some new discoveries and some great rediscoveries.

'Shout' is my favourite since I last commented, and thematically neatly ties into Tears For Fears' own name's origin in primal screaming. 'The Power Of Love' and 'I Want To Know What Love Is' were, in different ways, a brilliant pair of #1s to bookend the also great Band Aid single's run.

My top 40 of 1984 would look something like this - 'Ghostbusters' was the last song I cut:

1 Wham! - Freedom

2 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

3 Sister Sledge - Thinking Of You

4 Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You

5 Prince And The Revolution - Purple Rain

6 Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride

7 Giorgio Moroder With Philip Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams

8 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy

9 U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)

10 Grandmaster And Melle Mel - White Lines (Don't Do It)

11 Ultravox - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

12 Fiction Factory - (Feels Like) Heaven

13 Prince - When Doves Cry

14 Shannon - Let The Music Play

15 Tears For Fears - Shout

16 The Special AKA - Nelson Mandela

17 Womack And Womack - Love Wars

18 Bob Marley And The Wailers - One Love / People Get Ready

19 Bruce Springsteen - Cover Me

20 Duran Duran - The Reflex

21 China Crisis - Wishful Thinking

22 The Icicle Works - Love Is A Wonderful Colour

23 Echo And The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon

24 Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love

25 Rufus And Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody

26 Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good

27 The Smiths - What Difference Does It Make?

28 Scritti Politti - Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)

29 Miami Sound Machine - Dr Beat

30 Depeche Mode - People Are People

31 Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

32 The Smiths - William, It Was Really Nothing

33 Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is

34 Echo And The Bunnymen - Seven Seas

35 The S.O.S. Band - Just Be Good To Me

36 Lloyd Cole And The Commotions - Perfect Skin

37 The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

38 The Style Council - Shout To The Top

39 Chaka Khan - I Feel For You

40 Jocelyn Brown - Somebody Else's Guy

Well done Julian for completing another year of reviews!

Rather than list my top 40, which would look rather like other folks', I'll list those that made my year-end top 120 without making the UK top 40: it's a BJ-only exclusive! 😄

  1. Crystal - Elton John

  2. Out Come The Freaks - Was (Not Was)

  3. Out Of Touch - Hall & Oates

that is all! It was a great year for top 40 chart music! 😄There's a lot more non-charters in 1985...

  • Author

The average score for 1984 is a record 5.89, easily beating 1983’s 5.77 which was a record itself!

Only 2 hits received a 1, and I’m crowning “Love Me Tender” by Roland Rat Superstar! as the worst hit of the year. Even that is the least bad worst hit of the year that I remember, so there wasn’t much cannon fodder this year at all.

I gave 3 10s and 30 9s, so the highest 8s make it into the lower end of my Top 40.

1 Giorgio Moroder With Philip Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams

2 Queen - I Want To Break Free

3 Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love

4 George Michael - Careless Whisper

5 Tears For Fears - Shout

6 Prince And The Revolution - Purple Rain

7 Grandmaster And Melle Mel - White Lines (Don’t Do It)

8 Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again

9 Echo And The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon

10 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy

11 Ultravox - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

12 The Cure - The Caterpillar

13 Swans Way - Soul Train

14 Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

15 Bob Marley And The Wailers - One Love / People Get Ready

16 The Cars - Drive

17 Prince - When Doves Cry

18 Afrika Bambaataa And The Soul Sonic Force - The Renegades Of Funk

19 Laura Branigan - Self Contro

20 Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes

21 Propaganda - Dr Mabuse

22 Malcolm McLaren - Madame Butterfly (Un Bel Di Vedremo)

23 Sade - Smooth Operator

24 Scritti Politti - Wood Beez - Pray Like Aretha Franklin)

25 Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride

26 Rufus And Chaka Khan - Ain’t Nobody

27 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

28 China Crisis - Wishful Thinking

29  Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

30 Break Machine - Street Dance

31 Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok

32 Billy Idol - Eyes Without A Face

33 Shannon - Let The Music Play

34 The Icicle Works - Love Is A Wonderful Colour

35 Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours / Somebody

36 Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

37 The Smiths - Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now

38 Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax!

39 Sade - Your Love Is King

40 Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops’ Drops

My top 40 from the year:

1. Propaganda - Dr Mabuse

2. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes

3. Queen - Radio Ga Ga

4. Ultravox - Lament

5. Tears For Fears - Shout

6. Nik Kershaw - Human Racing

7. Howard Jones - Hide And Seek

8. Queen - Hammer To Fall

9. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love

10. Depeche Mode - Master And Servant

11. Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

12. Tears For Fears - Mother's Talk

13. Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours/Somebody

14. Freddie Mercury - Love Kills

15. Malcolm McLaren - Madam Butterfly

16. The Cars - Drive

17. Blancmange - The Day Before You Came

18. Grandmaster and Melle Mel - White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)

19. Heaven 17 - This Is Mine

20. New Order - Thieves Like Us

21. Queen - It's A Hard Life

22. Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good

23. Billy Joel - Goodnight Saigon

24. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax

25. Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

26. Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again

27. Alphaville - Big In Japan

28. Depeche Mode - People Are People

29. Queen - I Want To Break Free

30. Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok

31. Marillion - Assassing

32. Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive

33. Nik Kershaw - Dancing Girls

34. Ultravox - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

35. Sal Solo - San Damiano

36. The Icicle Works - Love Is A Wonderful Colour

37. OMD - Tesla Girls

38. The Police - King Of Pain

39. Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days

40. Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

1985 Group 1:

#1571

17/11/1984

Strawberry Switchblade

Since Yesterday

5

63-53-54-48-47-50-52-45-32-10-{5}-7-9-18-25-40-62->17

#1572

03/09/1983

ZZ Top

Sharp Dressed Man

22

59-53-62-74R(53)-48-45-41-33-{22}-25-37-51-71->13

#1573

05/01/1985

Elaine Paige And Barbara Dickson

I Know Him So Well

1

63-34-6-3-2-{1}-1-1-1-2-8-10-28-34-41-62->16

#1574

24/11/1984

Imagination

Thank You My Love

22

73-62-60-60-61-63-57-35-26-{22}-24-27-29-40-70->15

#1575

05/01/1985

The Limit

Say Yeah

17

50-37-19-{17}-23-31-40-62->8

#1576

29/12/1984

Amii Stewart

Friends

12

73-69-39-17-{12}-13-20-27-36-55-65->11

#1577

29/12/1984

Russ Abbot

Atmosphere

7

61-52-40-18-10-8-{7}-8-15-20-35-49-69->13

#1578

19/01/1985

Prince

1999/Little Red Corvette

2

13-{2}-3-5-6-10-15-28-39-60->10

#1579

12/01/1985

King

Love And Pride

2

45-21-6-4-{2}-2-2-3-8-17-24-41-65-65->14

#1580

05/01/1985

Ashford And Simpson

Solid

3

75-54-27-13-6-4-{3}-3-4-6-12-21-32-45-53->15

#1581

19/01/1985

Chaka Khan

This Is My Night

14

28-18-{14}-24-35-52->6

#1582

12/01/1985

James Ingram With Michael McDonald

Yah Mo B There (Jellybean Remix)

12

60-29-21-{12}-14-25-33-60->8

#1583

12/01/1985

The Pointer Sisters

Neutron Dance

31

56-{31}-33-38-44-60-74->7

  • Author

Not a stellar but a decent 1st group. I enjoy “Little Red Corvette” even more than “1999”, but under my rules I’m solely appraising the former as the other has already reached the Top 40.

9

Prince

Little Red Corvette

This isn't as boundary pushing as "Purple Rain" or "When Doves Cry", but it's a beautiful track about a one night stand

8

King

Love And Pride

This UK band's debut re-released and becoming a #2 smash: it's a great and very punchy and striking new wave track

8

Elaine Paige And Barbara Dickson

I Know Him So Well

545th #1: from the "Chess" musical this is a beautifully written duet with brilliant interplay between the two voices

7

Strawberry Switchblade

Since Yesterday

Only Top 40 for this Scottish duo whose style reminds me a little of the Cocteau Twins: this has a lovely warm feel to it

7

Amii Stewart

Friends

Her 1st hit in more than 4 years: this is sung beautifully with sincere backing vocals, and has very effective production 

6

Ashford And Simpson

Solid

Only Top 40 for this US husband and wife duo about their relationship: it's a well remembered and enjoyable song 

6

The Pointer Sisters

Neutron Dance

This isn't one of their standout hits, but the spirited performance with their usual infectious energy does elevate it

5

James Ingram With Michael McDonald

Yah Mo B There (Jellybean Remix)

Producer and singer James Ingram's only Top 40 as lead, with a remix getting it here, and quite a nice synth RnB track 

5

ZZ Top

Sharp Dressed Man

A 2nd 1983 non Top 40 getting a new lease of life for them: another very competent but not distinctive track of its style

4

Chaka Khan

This Is My Night

All their previous 3 hits have been pretty special, but this one is a not very distinctive or memorable R&B track

3

The Limit

Say Yeah

Only hit for this Dutch group that's in a very similar funk style to Imagination below and gives me only slightly more

3

Imagination

Thank You My Love

Their last Top 40 and a slow burner that entered last November, but I find it quite a nondescript final appearance 

2

Russ Abbot

Atmosphere

1st of a couple of Top 40s for this UK all round entertainer: a catchy bubblegum track that becomes grating quickly


1985 Group 2:


#1584

29/12/1984

Bucks Fizz

I Hear Talk

34

53-53-46-{34}-34-34-37-51->8

#1585

19/01/1985

Big Country

Just A Shadow

26

35-{26}-29-46->4

#1586

19/01/1985

Billy Ocean

Loverboy

15

37-24-16-16-{15}-16-18-27-35-57->10

#1587

24/11/1984

The Art Of Noise

Close (To The Edit)

8

62-41-45-44-45-46-46-43-38-30-21-10-9-{8}-10-21-34-54-70->19

#1588

19/01/1985

Cashmere

Can I

29

40-{29}-30-29-30-32-49-70->8

#1589

12/01/1985

Bryan Adams

Run To You

11

74-41-28-18-{11}-11-11-11-17-27-36-66->12

#1590

12/01/1985

Pat Benatar

We Belong

22

64-43-31-25-23-{22}-26-37-54->9

#1591

26/01/1985

Phil Collins

Sussudio

12

36-19-{12}-12-18-25-34-52-66->9

#1592

19/01/1985

Kirsty MacColl

A New England

7

57-38-22-13-10-{7}-8-14-25-47->10

#1593

19/01/1985

George Benson

20/20

29

42-40-40-39-31-{29}-41-52-73->9

#1594

26/01/1985

The Colourfield

Thinking Of You

12

45-31-17-13-13-{12}-22-30-52-75->10

#1595

26/01/1985

Commodores

Nightshift

3

54-32-19-17-9-6-{3}-5-11-17-30-35-53-61->14

#1596

19/01/1985

Big Sound Authority

This House (Is Where Your Love Stands)

21

55-49-36-25-{21}-21-27-36-59->9

That's a great first top 2 of 1985 from the regally named Prince and King (will we also see their female equivalent monikers by the end of the year I wonder...)

Russ Abbot's 'Atmosphere' definitely isn't a cover of the Joy Division song.

  • Author
13 minutes ago, jimwatts said:

Russ Abbot's 'Atmosphere' definitely isn't a cover of the Joy Division song.

Whoops - I read something saying it was an unrecognisable cover but appears it was fake news.

King - Love and Pride in production sounds more 1981-2 - like the first Spandau single To Cut A Long Story Short or Classix Nouveaux - Is It A Dream. I really like it, and its a shame it was held off #1.

Prince - Little Red Corvette is a nice track.

Pointer Sisters - Neutron Dance is a strange mix of 50s rock and roll and Hi-NRG the old and new doesn't really go together.

Chaka Khan - This Is My Night is quite good but yeah she has better songs.

I discovered Russ Abbot - Atmosphere on an 80s music programme when I was a child and I actually really liked it before realising it was from a comedian.

Great start to the year!

Another winning Prince single, though perhaps not one of my absolute favourites.

Love & Pride is fantastic, it’s definitely grown on me over the years. At the time I had think there were accusations of being Duran Duran copyists but this song rose above that.

I Know Him So Well is lovely, another that has improved with time.

Since Yesterday is a great quirky standout song

I also like Solid, a great soul duet

Little Red Corvette is great early Prince but it was a 1983 hit for me, thats when I bought it 9/10 Love And Pride getting King marketed as the next big thing till Sigue Sigue Sputnik, but it was a good track 9/10. I Know Him So Well clearly an ABBA loss, much as I like Elaine and Babs, that could have been Agnetha & Frida on show 9/10.

Since Yesterday a melody to die for and great production, love it, stood out in early January as a cut above 10/10. Friends was a nice comeback for Amii, 8/10, not in banger disco vibe, and Solid was great seeing hit songwriters Ashford & Simpson keep a banger hit for themselves 9/10. Neutron Dance was fun but not on a par with Automatic or Jump 7/10.

Yah Mo B There another early 80's latecomer, cool and slick, 8/10. ZZ Top were all about the fuzzy guitars, swamp-rock vibes and leggy girls in videos with flash cars. Sharp Dressed Man 7/10. This Is My Night is OK follow-up stuff 6/10. Chaka's recent singles in 2026 are better. Say Yeah is a good tune and laid-back jazz-dance vibe 8/10.

Thank You My Love I have very little memory of, the new jazz-funksters will see Imagination off in 1985, sadly. 5/10. Atmosphere was upbeat pop for grans and kids 3/10, and not as bad as it looked on paper with Russ Abbot on lead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.