BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FAMILY FORTUNES / Results, full results page 3
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Bré
post Jul 6 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #1
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

hi.gif results coming after the football ~ (so very shortly unless Brazil snatch a late equaliser). Apologies for the delay for this but it's finally coming to an end tonight!

Thanks to the 29 participants. A reminder of the questions:

1. Name a UK top 10 single with an animal in its title.
2. Name a song title that has been a UK #1 for at least two different artists, but with different songs (i.e. not one being a cover of the other).
3. Name a song that has reached the UK top 10 in at least two separate chart runs.
4. Name an artist with at least one UK #1 single and at least 5 top 10 hits in total, but with no #1s as the lead artist.
5. Name an artist whose first studio album reached #1, but their second missed the top 10.
6. Name an artist who had a gap of at least 10 years between consecutive appearances in the UK Singles Chart top 10.
7. Name an album that features at least 2 UK #1 singles, but did not itself get to #1 on the albums chart.
8. Name a UK #1 album which only spent one week in the top 5.
9. Name a UK #1 album in 2016, 2017 or 2018 that was 'surprising' in some way.
10. Name what you think the next major change / new rule in the official charts will be.

;o
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 6 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Looking forward to these results a lot *.* bring it on!

+Quote Post
PeteLeftLeeds
post Jul 6 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #3
I'm rich in real life, I get that proper coffee
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Yay cheer.gif I tend to flop at FF though so hoping to not be last at least wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 6 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Rushed through these like no man's business so avoiding the bottom 10 is a suitable target!

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 6 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Added these up in a bit of a rush so if anyone spots any errors or anything out of order do shout (I thiiiink everything should be ok tho). Not actually added up everyone's scores yet but I shall make sure to do so and post that tonight as well ;o

~

1. Name a UK top 10 single with an animal in its title.

Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger (4): Theo., Dexton, LewisGT, HarryEzra, gavindeejay

Selena Gomez and Marshmello - Wolves (3): Riser, Chez Wombat, Yorkie3, WhoOdyssey

David Baddiel, Frank Skinner and The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions (2): vibe, 777666jason, Jade
Oliver Heldens and Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive) (2): Bré, Jüpiter, Dobbo

Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out (1): TS0301, SM351
Desiigner - Panda (1): danG, SevenSeize

Adam And The Ants - Dog Eat Dog (0): PeteFromLeeds
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (0): BridgeCow
The Cure - The Love Cats (0): King Rollo
Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over (0): dj_tim_e
Johnny Preston - Running Bear (0): girl_from_oz
Katy Perry - Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J) (0): Bjork
Manfred Mann - Pretty Flamingo (0): paulgilb
Shakira - She Wolf (0): awardinary
Squeeze - Cool For Cats (0): Mack.
Ten Walls - Walking With Elephants (0): Suedehead2

Oh FOR SHAME at myself as I tried hard to think of a cat-related answer that would get some points and just couldn't come up with any... and yet it is indeed a feline answer that comes out on top, as it's Survivor's Rocky III soundtracking hard rock classic 'Eye Of The Tiger', a #1 in 1982, that takes the top answer honours. It's the first of a few low scoring top answers though, only earning four points for those who said it - there's only one lower scoring top answer, what could it be ohmy.gif

Close in second is Selena's recent hit that I totally forgot existed (maybe the most recent top 10 hit to include an animal in the title, certainly none of the other answers were more recent than that one). Cats > dogs confirmed. Further confirmed as another big cat song, 'Three Lions' (of course relevant to right now as it re-entered the chart today at #24 ahead of IT COMING HOME!) gets two points compared to just one point for guilty pleasure bop 'Who Let The Dogs Out'. My own answer of 'Gecko (Overdrive)', the first of two animal-themed top 10 hits by Oliver Heldens, is worth two points, surprisingly Dan not being one of the others to go for it. He instead opted for the jam 'Panda' by Desiigner which is the sixth and final song worth at least a point.

Among the other songs mentioned are a couple of good retro alternative cat songs by The Cure and Squeeze, a retro dog song that I don't think I've heard from Adam And The Ants, another wolf song from Shakira, a couple of very retro picks from Johnny Preston and Manfred Mann, the great 'Karma Chameleon' and my personal favourite answer from Suedehead2, the incredible 'Walking With Elephants' (which I wish I'd put myself even though it'd have cost me a point). Surprisingly 'Dark Horse' was also worth nothing. It's less suprising that 'Dog Days Are Over' scores 0, as that's our first incorrect answer of the night, having somehow peaked at only #23. There is an incorrect answer to one of these questions that was worth a point, what could it be ;o

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 6 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

Well that's far more spread out than I expected but a solid start nevertheless.

"It's coming home" is just on the brain far too much at the moment to have thought of anything else kink.gif

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 6 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I was tempted to just put Martin Garrix - Animals for that one.

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Jul 6 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #8
Eau de résistance
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

I'm very happy with my answer for this one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 6 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #9

2. Name a song title that has been a UK #1 for at least two different artists, but with different songs (i.e. not one being a cover of the other).

Hello (4): Bjork, King Rollo, dj_tim_e, SM351, PeteFromLeeds
The Power Of Love (4): paulgilb, 777666jason, Chez Wombat, Mack., Yorkie3

Perfect (3): Theo., danG, TS0301, Suedehead2

Burn (2): Jade, HarryEzra, WhoOdyssey
These Days (2): Bré, Riser, SevenSeize

Breathe (1): awardinary, girl_from_oz
My Love (1): Dexton, Dobbo
Sorry (1): vibe, gavindeejay

Closer (0): LewisGT
Crazy (0): BridgeCow
Sing (0): Jüpiter

Another question where the highest points on offer is only 4, but here there are two different answers that earn that maximum number of points. First we have 'Hello', which perhaps should have been more of an obvious answer after all the memes mashing up Adele's 2015 hit with the 1984 Lionel Richie song of the same name. Alas it's another one I missed entirely. Also worth four points is 'The Power Of Love', which was notably the title of 3 completely different hits in the space of less than a year in 1984-85, Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Jennifer Rush taking the title to #1 (while Huey Lewis And The News got to #11). Gabrielle Aplin of course also had a #1 much more recently with 'The Power Of Love' but this doesn't make it a three-fer as that was a cover of the Frankie Goes To Hollywood track.

Second place with three points is 'Perfect', of course a recent big #1 by Ed Sheeran but also a #1 for Fairground Attraction in 1988. Two points each to a couple of titles which were never #1s before the 21st century but have been twice since: 'Burn' (Usher 2004 and Ellie Goulding 2013) and 'These Days' (I believe the most recent pair of unrelated #1s with the same title, Take That 2014 and THE UNSPEAKABLE that fluked a week at the top earlier this year). Bonus points if I could give them to awardinary and girl_from_oz for going for 'Breathe', one I didn't even think of - a #1 for Blu Cantrell in 2003 but more importantly my favourite song of all time, The Prodigy's 1996 CLASSIQUE. 'My Love', a Westlife #1 that I had forgotten about and also a #1 for Route 94, is also worth one point, as is 'Sorry' (Madonna 2006 and Justin Bieber 2015).

Only three other titles got named: another title stolen by Ed Sheeran (his 'Sing' in 2014 obviously totally forgotten now while we all remember well the classic 2012 #1 of the same name by Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band feat. Military Wives), plus 'Closer' (Ne-Yo 2008 and The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey 2016) and regrettably another incorrect answer as 'Crazy', despite being an extremely common title, has only hit #1 once (Gnarls Barkley in 2006). Very spread out results here.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 6 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

'Hero' was the first one to come into my head for whatever reason (from Enrique Iglesias / X Factor Finalists 2008 laugh.gif) but I presumed that no-one else would put it so I thought a bit harder, really glad I did now! Should've known that Harry would go down the Ellie route *.*

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jul 6 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

Both answers really spread out. A top answer and a non scorer for me so far.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 6 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #12

3. Name a song that has reached the UK top 10 in at least two separate chart runs.

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (10): Bré, Bjork, vibe, TS0301, King Rollo, Jade, SM351, Riser, LewisGT, BridgeCow, Yorkie3

Ed Sheeran - Perfect (4): Theo., danG, Dexton, PeteFromLeeds, Suedehead2

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (2): 777666jason, dj_tim_e, Jüpiter

The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York (feat. Kirsty MacColl) (1): Chez Wombat, SevenSeize
The Source - You Got The Love (feat. Candi Staton) (1): paulgilb, gavindeejay
Wham! - Last Christmas (1): Mack., WhoOdyssey

David Baddiel, Frank Skinner and The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions (0): Dobbo
Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock (0): girl_from_oz
John Lennon - Imagine (0): HarryEzra
Peter Andre - Mysterious Girl (feat. Bubbler Ranx) (0): awardinary

Our first question with more 'make-or-break' results here: lord forgive me for my sins as I chose to sell out and name Mariah Carey's festive perennial, clearly one of the worst of the annually recurring Christmas songs but going down the Christmas route seemed a safe bet and of course BuzzJack would flock to the one female artist who has hit the top 10 repeatedly with a festive tune. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' was of course a #2 hit over Xmas 1994 (graciously denied the lead by East 17) and first returned to the top 10 in 2007 when downloads began to be comprehensively included in the chart. It had a few near misses in the following years but finally got a third bite of the top 10 cherry in 2016 with streaming's effect on the chart in full swing, and it did even better in 2017, returning all the way to that #2 peak. New chart rules banning songs that are more than 3 years old from returning to the standard chart ratio will probably prevent it doing that well this year but it'll no doubt be back somewhere in the top 10 even with that rule in place. Ten points for anyone who went her way.

The two next best answers - a way behind Mariah - are actually not Christmas songs at all, although both were Christmas #1s. First with 4 points it's Ed Sheeran's 'Perfect' again, which debuted at #4 on the week the parent album '÷' was released and then slid down, briefly exiting the top 100 completely before picking up again as it became an official single and eventually topping the chart with a little help from Beyoncé. Of course if the 'three songs per artist' rule existed when Ed's album came out, 'Perfect' would not have had that original top 10 run at all. Two points for Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody', the only song to be Christmas #1 twice (on original release in 1975 and again in 1991 when re-released in the wake of Freddie Mercury's death). Another pair of Christmas classics, the SUPERIOR perennial 'Fairytale Of New York' and the... also slightly naff 'Last Christmas' are both worth a point; the former may have the record for hitting the top 10 in the most separate chart runs, getting there in 1987, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2017 (when will Mariah), again with several near misses in 2008-16. Wham!, like Mariah, hit #2 on original release in 1984 and returned to that peak in 2017 (also having runs in the top 10 in 1985 and 2016). The final answer worth a point is a slightly more unexpected one, dance classic 'You Got The Love' by The Source and Candi Staton, a #3 hit in 1997 and re-released in 2006 getting back as high as #7. It's since been taken to the top 10 again in the form of Florence + The Machine's more grammatically correct cover version.

For the first time there are no wrong answers, yay! Unfortunately there are 4 perfectly good answers worth no points: 'Three Lions' crops up again, having hit #1 in both 1996 and 1998 (in a reworked version) and making repeat visits to the top 10 with a 2006 re-release and a 2010 download entry; 'Jailhouse Rock' was one of the endless Elvis Presley re-issues in 2005, hitting #1 again that year after first topping the chart in 1958; 'Imagine' was a #6 hit during Lennon's lifetime (in 1975) but charted higher on two occasions posthumously, of course getting to #1 in the immediate aftermath of his death and later getting to #3 to see in the new millennium (yes I know Suedehead2, you know what I mean); and finally the iconic 'Mysterious Girl' was originally a #2 hit in 1996 and hit #1 on a re-release in 2004 as Peter Andre returned to fame via I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 6 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

So why wasn't Three Lions on the mind for this question?! IT'S COMING HOME (to the top 10 again next Friday!)

+Quote Post
Yorkie3
post Jul 6 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 22,818
   No Gallery Pics

Going well so far! (I'll definitely have messed some up though tongue.gif )

Wanted to answer Fairytale of New York for #3 but knew Mariah was going to be guessed more!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 6 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #15
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

Oh yeah, apparently "it's coming home" being on the brain didn't extend this far oops laugh.gif Christmas came into my head instantly and while 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' isn't my classic of choice, I knew that it would be BuzzJack's pick. Yay!

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Jul 6 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #16
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

Doing alright so far. Not expecting big results as I rushed my answers in.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 6 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #17

4. Name an artist with at least one UK #1 single and at least 5 top 10 hits in total, but with no #1s as the lead artist.

Demi Lovato (7): TS0301, 777666jason, SM351, PeteFromLeeds, Riser, awardinary, Jüpiter, Dobbo

Sia (5): Bré, King Rollo, Dexton, Suedehead2, Yorkie3, gavindeejay

Sean Paul (3): Theo., dj_tim_e, Chez Wombat, SevenSeize

Lil Wayne (1): danG, Mack.
Nicki Minaj (1): vibe, Jade

Bruno Mars (0): girl_from_oz
Calvin Harris (0): BridgeCow
Emeli Sandé (0): paulgilb
Katy B (0): LewisGT
Paloma Faith (0): WhoOdyssey
Wyclef Jean (0): HarryEzra
Zara Larsson (0): Bjork

A return to slightly more spread out answers but a slightly higher prize for the top answers than in questions 1 and 2: 7 points go to those who said Demi Lovato, another answer that completely slipped my mind despite being a very currently relevant answer. Of course Demi finally managed a first UK #1 just a couple of weeks back with her feature on Clean Bandit's 'Solo' but is yet to have a #1 in her own right.

I still managed the second best answer though (yay), as Sia is worth 5 points; she's hit the top 10 a bunch of times both as lead and featured since her big comeback to the music scene as featured on David Guetta's 'Titanium' (and one time before that as well), but that remains her only #1 hit to date. Sean Paul is worth 3 points and is notable for being the only answer worth points who has multiple #1s, getting there as guest on both Blu Cantrell's 'Breathe' (that cropping up again) and The Saturdays' 'What About Us' (EDIT: and also Clean Bandit's 'Rockabye', thanks Yorkie3 x), but not yet nabbing the top spot with any of his own songs. Young Money labelmates Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj are the last point scorers, both worth one point. Wayne only finally got a UK #1 to his name as one of the many features on DJ Khaled's 'I'm The One', but as Dan mentioned in his PM he actually hasn't ever even made the top 10 as the lead artist; nonetheless, he does have more than five top 10 hits as a feature so still a solid answer. Minaj's only chart topper is 'Bang Bang', in which she's technically a joint lead artist but I'm not gonna say that's a wrong answer as it is primarily a Jessie J song (plus wrong answers don't matter in this anyway x)

A couple of people may have been confused by the wording of this question (it was a little convoluted compared to the rest, apologies) so there are a couple of unambiguously wrong answers here, as Bruno Mars and Calvin Harris of course have plenty of #1s to their names as lead artist. Those aside there are 5 correct answers worth nothing: Emeli Sandé, like Sean Paul, has 2 #1s but both as features (for Professor Green and Labrinth), while Katy B has only topped the chart as second fiddle to KDA, Paloma Faith to Sigma, Wyclef Jean to Shakira and Zara Larsson to (again) Clean Bandit - seems like another unfortunate zero pointer for Bjork as he was also the one to opt for 'Dark Horse' on Q1.

+Quote Post
Yorkie3
post Jul 6 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 22,818
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 6 2018, 10:06 PM) *
Sean Paul is worth 3 points and is notable for being the only answer worth points who has multiple #1s, getting there as guest on both Blu Cantrell's 'Breathe' (that cropping up again) and The Saturdays' 'What About Us', but not yet nabbing the top spot with any of his own songs.

Rockabye as well ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 6 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Yorkie3 @ Jul 6 2018, 10:09 PM) *
Rockabye as well ohmy.gif

Oh yes of course! (my encyclopaedic chart knowledge gets a bit rusty in recent years).

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 6 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #20
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

Oh I'm a bit annoyed that Demi didn't cross my mind at all and also that Nicki wasn't a better answer! Still better than nothing though I guess.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 04:25 PM