BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Like A Virgin' album discussion, 2nd album | 1984
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofGhibli
post May 7 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 2nd studio album 'Like A Virgin'. Released in 1984.

1. Material Girl
2. Angel
3. Like a Virgin
4. Over and Over
5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
6. Dress You Up
7. Shoo-Bee-Doo
8. Pretender
9. Stay

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post May 7 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post May 8 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo

I don't return to this album much tbh. I appreciate it as one of the most iconic albums she's ever released but it doesn't have many (any?) of my favourite songs. It seems very of its time, which most of her albums avoid being!

Favourite song is probably 'Material Girl'!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 8 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #4
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I think this album is utter drivel to be honest. I've never returned to it, possibly Dress You Up would be my favourite track but I'm not mad about any of them.

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post May 9 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 8 2020, 09:41 PM) *
I think this album is utter drivel to be honest. I've never returned to it, possibly Dress You Up would be my favourite track but I'm not mad about any of them.

ohmy.gif! I don't think I've ever seen you so harsh to a Madonna album. I get it though, although the singles are iconic, even they aren't the most enjoyable to listen to now especially because she has so much more, finer material to choose from.

Do you like Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore at least?

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 9 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #6
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Not really, no. Its passable but Id never choose to put it on. The album is too old for me to remember it at the time but Im baffled as to why it was so successful, although other mid 80s albums Ive heard since are equally dodgy so maybe the whole time period was just below average for albums.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 9 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I can see why it was so successful given the Madonna-mania of 1985 and the music being so cheery and catchy, although I don't quite understand why it gets retroactively regarded as one of her best when you consider all her work since. Tbf, the album only really took off at the time of 'Into the Groove' and Live Aid (I assume the re-issue came at the same time) and remained high in the chart throughout Christmas and into the start of 1986, so that's where a great deal of its sales come from. It also has the benefit of gaining decent trickle sales from subsequent releases.

Listening to the album now, I feel like I might have judged the album too harshly. It's still low ranking on her discography but I can enjoy it for what it is: catchy, feel-good pop. I think the album benefits a lot with 'Into the Groove' as the centerpiece and it would have been good if 'Crazy For You' could be placed in there somewhere.

Highlights from the main album: 'Angel', 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore', 'Dress You Up'. Oh I also have a soft spot for 'Shoo Bee Doo', the part where the music gets going reminds me of something used in a John Hughes film or something. Probably doesn't need to be 5 minutes long though.

+Quote Post
Jordan Lee
post May 9 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #8
Jordan Lee
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 27,116
   No Gallery Pics

Its quite a cute album in some ways. It has potential and shes definitely released worse than this but its also far from her best as well.

Easy to see why it was so successful though.

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post May 10 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #9
Henrietta R Hippo

I too can see why it was a big success: easy to digest pop, with killer visuals and the rise of a new superstar, and i'm glad it was as big as it was because it helped cement her as a force to be reckoned with. She had so much to say, and this was just the start.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 08:16 AM