Jump to content

Featured Replies

The Roxy Music song with the synth sounds like a new wave track from 1979 indeed.

'Layla' is iconic and a very good rock song with euphoric guitar.

I like the production on the Slade song with the big drum sound in the second half verses. Maybe the vocal's a bit loud though lol.

'Sugar Me' in production sounds great for the time - bit of an early 80s Shakatak style vibe to it. The violin is probably Slade - Coz I Love You inspired.

Popcorn by Hot Butter is definitely ahead of its time - it almost certainly influenced the Popcorn Romanian eurodance genre in 2010 especially Inna - Hot which has similar high pitched minimalist synth melodies.

Edited by TheSnake

  • Replies 911
  • Views 82.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Inspired by @Jade ’s decade by decade top 10 and the 1980s sessions having paused I am returning to this for a bit! And it’s a good group to come back to with Bowie getting a rare 10 that may or may n

  • King Rollo
    King Rollo

    I'm glad you liked 10538 Overture. It shows how creative Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne were to do something that was so different to The Move. 10538 was the number of the escaped prisoner the song was about

  • 'Heart Of Gold' is a classic and has probably overtaken 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' as my favourite Neil Young song these days, very lyrically endearing. Not surprised but a bit sad to see the lo


It’s hard to deny Layla’s iconic guitar riff.

Virginia Plain would be my favourite of this set, what a cool group!

Lean On Me has a great positive message

Sugar Me is the other song here I love, very distinctive

Long Cool Way Woman… is a later Hollies highlight

More excellent spelling and glam rock from Slade

some major classics for me in this batch, Layla was a hit again in 1982, and the single edited version is just perfect, a hammer-blow of electric guitar and passion for George Harrison's missus. 10/10. Virginia Plain was like nothing before when it dropped, it sounded more out-there than Bowie's Starman did, and hit again in 1977, by which time I was already converted to the genius of both these tracks and had bought the singles 10/10. I fancy my chances of being able to do Virginia Plain in karaoke as I know all the words and it doesnt really involve singing, more melodic talking!

Bill wrote 2 classics in this batch, Lean On Me topped my charts for 2 weeks, just a perfect song and Bill was fabulous, one of those rare songs that has been well-covered in different genres. 10/10. Michael Jackson's cover of Ain't No Sunshine is the first version I heard and his vocal performance is amazing, someone that young had no right being able to emote that well. Bill's original is great too, but Michael's had my love 10/10 knocked Bill off my top spot.

Sugar Me was an amazing debut hit for the already hit-song-writing Lynsey De Paul (Storm In A Teacup topped my charts), that whip and violin combo is wonderful, the next single is a Glam-Rock-dressing-up mickey-take 9/10. Number one for me at the time too. Journey is fabulous and Duncan died too young, the rhythm and flow of the record is just fab 9/10. Walk In The Night is achingly good soul, essentially an instrumental with a choral hook, Junior Walker always hit my sweet spot 9/10.

Long Cool Woman was totally CCR-ish, who were essentially already been and gone by this point, but I rate it higher than a lot of their hits (Both CCR and Hollies), and the driving riffs still work 9/10. Bigger in the USA, not unsurprisingly. Standing In The Road has that chacka-chacka-shhhh riff hook, almost goes with the band name and identical twins fronting the band, but it's the riffing guitar behind the vocals that sells it to me still 9/10. Nothing less than a 9/10 for me so far!

Mama Weer All Crazee Now was the point Slade took over from T.Rex as the biggest glamrock band, but I was never as big a fan of them as I was Bolan. 8/10. Bobby Hebb got zero airplay at the time, I literally never heard it until 2022! I like it 6/10. I'm Still In Love With You not as good as Al's 2 UK hits, but still nice and it's worn well cos Al can sing anything and make it sound soulful 7/10. Living In Harmony is one of Cliff's more tuneful singles of the time, and I always like a peace'n'love, maan lyric, 7/10.

The Pipers' follow-up was a definite no-no for me at the time, taking up valuable chart space, but I do like bagpipes in small doses 3/10. Big Six was the first of many Judge Dread novelty reggae singles that I only got to hear it because it turned up on an Arcade hits collection that came out later in the year. It appealed to 14-year-old skinhead boys I think, as daring and naughty out at the disco's on Tuesday-night-for-kids and the like. It's also Dread's best record (white DJ, formerly, prior to his music career kicking off here) 2/10. You may need minus ratings, again, with Big Seven, Big Eight as they are much worse....😇The most-banned artist of all-time on the BBC, not a single record got airplay, in any guise.

Oh wow yes I didn't have to wait long for an all-time favourite to turn up 🥰 happy 'Layla' has topped the group for you. My preference is the longer version with the piano solo but the famous guitar riff is a treat in any form. 'Virginia Plain' is a good runner up too, I remember discovering that on a 40th anniversary TOTP DVD which had one representative for each year between 1964 and 2004, so that took the 1972 spot. That DVD had a strong opening '70s run as Roxy Music followed Free's 'All Right Now' and the wonderful 'Get It On' by T. Rex!

I find the chart toppers of this era a bit of a slog on the whole but Slade are one of the better acts up there, albeit this particular song isn't their best. Nice to see two Bill Withers songs here! Michael Jackson was such an obvious star even as a kid. Nothing quite beats the original 'Ain't No Sunshine' for me though and 'Lean On Me' is another good'un ❤️

  • Author

After a couple of surprisingly great groups this one is rather more typically ‘70s, with plenty of soppy numbers and covers. Still there’s some very good stuff as well as one of the most unusual chart toppers ever.

8

T.Rex

Children Of The Revolution

Yet another Top 2 hit for them with an incredibly powerful statement of a glam rock song with rich layers of sound

8

David Bowie

John, I'm Only Dancing

A non album single and his only early hit to miss the Top 10, it's conventional in style but a great piece of storytelling 

7

Lieutenant Pigeon

Mouldy Old Dough

320th #1: 1st of a couple of hits for this experimental group and a charming, very unusual, honky tonk piano track 

7

Elton John

Honky Cat

More honky tonk piano here: not one of his best remembered hits but it has a really charming and jazzy energy

6

Family

Burlesque

Their last hit, and I don't think it's hugely distinctive, but it is an enjoyable track with relentless jangling guitars

6

Dandy Livingstone

Suzanne Beware Of The Devil

1st of a couple of hits for this British-Jamaican reggae musician, that's not hugely memorable but very nicely done 

5

Gary Glitter

I Didn't Know I Loved You (Till I Saw You Rock And Roll)

A similar stark style to this and "Rock And Roll Parts 1 And 2": it's quite a good track but not as striking as that 

5

Peter Skellern

You're A Lady

Debut single from this UK singer songwriter: it's an interesting intimate style, though the song itself is a little soppy 

4

The Sweet

Wig-Wam Bam

This is bubblegum pop mixed with glam rock in style, and it's very catchy but becomes a little irritating fairly quickly

4

David Cassidy

How Can I Be Sure

319th #1: not a bad cover of a nice song but the original from 1967 by the Young Rascals has much more sparkle 

3

The Seashells

Maybe I Know

Only hit for these UK ladies with a cover of an early '60s Lesley Gore track that's competent but nothing much more 

2

Hurricane Smith

Who Was It?

His 3rd and last hit: the other songs were better; this is quite plodding and his very husky voice is rather grating

1

Donny Osmond

Too Young

Originally a 1951 Nat King Cole song intended to bring the youth to popular music: this cover is not a pleasant listen

1

Parchment

Light Up The Fire

Only hit for this UK Christian folk group with a school assembly hymn style track that couldn't be much less for me

1972 Group 12:


#4039

23/09/1972

10cc

Donna

2

46-25-17-10-{2}-2-3-3-13-16-20-39-47->13

#4040

23/09/1972

The Pearls

You Came, You Saw, You Conquered

32

47-36-{32}-33-41->5

#4041

23/09/1972

The O'Jays

Back Stabbers

14

48-30-22-18-20-{14}-30-36-48->9

#4042

23/09/1972

Lindisfarne

All Fall Down

34

50-39-40-{34}-37->5

#4043

30/09/1972

Elvis Presley

Burning Love

7

21-11-8-{7}-8-9-14-25-35->9

#4044

30/09/1972

Carpenters

Goodbye To Love

9

35-27-22-18-11-11-{9}-15-15-22-27-42-40-40-40->15

#4045

30/09/1972

Bread

The Guitar Man

16

40-28-21-22-{16}-20-24-31-46->9

#4046

30/09/1972

Python Lee Jackson

In A Broken Dream

3

49-18-9-6-{3}-4-7-12-24-29-36-48->12

#4047

07/10/1972

Johnny Nash

There Are More Questions Than Answers

9

26-19-12-{9}-10-12-18-27-38->9

#4048

07/10/1972

Alice Cooper

Elected

4

34-17-9-{4}-5-4-11-17-25-38->10

#4049

07/10/1972

Simon And Garfunkel

America

25

35-29-29-{25}-27-34-42->7

#4050

07/10/1972

Chairmen Of The Board

Elmo James

21

46-26-{21}-23-22-32-38->7

07/10/1972

The Animals

The House Of The Rising Sun {1972}

25

48-30-{25}-30-33-45->6

07/10/1972

Neil Sedaka

Oh! Carol/Breaking Up Is Hard To Do/Little Devil

19

49-38-33-31-26-26-24-22-{19}-26-25-32-32-35->14

#4051

07/10/1972

Archie Bell And The Drells

Here I Go Again

11

50-45-36-27-24-{11}-14-14-26-35->10

14/10/1972

The Shangri-Las

Leader Of The Pack {1972}

3

37-30-21-6-8-{3}-6-8-20-21-28-28-32-48->14

#4052

14/10/1972

Junior Campbell

Hallelujah Freedom

10

39-24-18-13-{10}-17-18-34-44->9

Some more goodies here.

You can’t really go wrong with T Rex in that imperial phase, Children Of The Revolution is great if not my favourite by them, it would also top my list of this group.

Similarly John I’m Only Dancing is not one of my top Bowie songs ….but still Bowie so excellent of course

Mouldy Old Dough is such a unique engaging song. Instrumental with the whistle/flute thing, Winnie Atwell like piano, and growling vocals, love it!

Honky Cat is fun.

I love a bit of 70s reggae so Suzanne… floats my boat!

Wig-Wam Bam was a huge favourite at school, great memories.

How Can I Be Sure is lovely, probably the best of all the Cassidy singles.

Children Of The Revolution was the T.Rex number-one-run-breaker thanks to David Cassidy but it really should have topped the charts, ominous and assertive, 9/10. John I'm Only Dancing was my early fave Bowie track, so exciting and wouldnt be beaten until Life On Mars got to be a hit in 1973. Still love it, plus John is a cool name 😇10/10. It will be back in two different versions in 1979, though one was very similar to confuse reviewers...

Mouldy Old Dough's old-timee piano instrumental was fun, and having your mum in the band was very Partridge Family/Cowsills but I dont love it quite as much as I did at the time 7/10. Honky Cat was nice enough but it's nothing compared to the singles either side of it and an odd choice of single given some of the album tracks so far that weren't singles. 6/10

Burlesque was OK, but I never liked Roger Chapman's voice much and Family are one of my meh bands of the period 5/10. Suzanne Beware Of The Devil is delightfully singalong and upbeat reggae 7/10. Glitter's was his first proper singing hit and had a bit more guts than later singalong anthems, the frantic pace suited it and I still rate it 9/10 ignoring who sang it and pretending it's the great producer/writer Mike Leander who gets the credit instead. Because Glam-bandwagon-jumping Gadd was going nowhere for a long time till Leander stepped in.

You're A Lady I liked a bit, then got bored with, then came back to it in later years. It's quite old-fashioned brass band nice 7/10. Wig Wam Bam was the monet The Sweet became Glam Rock, putting aside the TOTP imagery which every kid played in those days - Cowboys and Indians was always a thing since the silent era, but by 1972 it was the Indians who were the good guys, cue this dress-up record, following Soldier Blue and Indian Reservation. It still bangs as a singalong 8/10.

I love the Dusty version, the original version, but the first version I heard was Darlin' David's so that's my original - Despite being pissed he kept T.Rex off the top, I liked it at the time, but the French vibes really kicked in by the 80's and I found this was one of my go-to singalong-when-low classics, and I still think it's a 10/10. Love it and Cassidy's best vocal on a powerful ballad. Maybe I Know not quite up to peak Leslie Gore, but it was nice the song got an audience 7/10.

Who Was It? was a Gilbert O'Sullivan album track and the Beatles back-scenes man was better on his own songs, and is too jaunty for the man that did Don't Let It Die. 6/10. Even thinking of covering Nat King Cole was so obviously a bad idea for a pre-pubescent this could only ever come out badly. Where I rather liked Puppy Love, this one quickly bored me at the time and always has. 3/10. Light Up The Fire I liked the singalong bits and the Christian message passed me by un-noticed, I just liked the tune, but it hasnt aged well 4/10.

I like the use of the brass band and choir on You're A Lady. That would be my top song from that batch. Mouldy Old Dough is a fun and unusual number 1 single while Children Of The Revolution and John, I'm Only Dancing are both good songs.

'Virginia Plain' is my favourite of the last couple of batches, a quirky but innovative hit with its use of instrumentation.

  • Author

Another strong group here, this time with no weak links at all and bottom tracks that are no worse than inessential. “America” isn’t one of Simon & Garfunkel’s biggest hits but I’m pleased to see it does show up in their Spotify Top 10.

9

Simon And Garfunkel

America

A surprisingly small hit but a beautiful and wistful song about hitchhiking across the continent trying to find yourself 

8

10cc

Donna

1st hit for this UK group and a charming falsetto assisted piece of storytelling that shows what they will go on to do 

8

Python Lee Jackson

In A Broken Dream

Only hit for this Australian band with uncredited Rod Stewart vocals, and particularly great instrumental elements

7

Junior Campbell

Hallelujah Freedom

1st solo hit for the leader of Marmalade: this is lovely and uplifting with almost a gospel feel to the backing vocals

7

Lindisfarne

All Fall Down

Much smaller than their 2 hits earlier in the year but a very charming folk protest song about destroying nature 

7

Carpenters

Goodbye To Love

This is notable for ending with a long guitar solo with backing vocals: otherwise it's a lovely track in their usual style

6

Elvis Presley

Burning Love

Originally recorded as a soul song by Arthur Alexander, Elvis does put his own stamp on this cover and it works well 

6

Bread

The Guitar Man

Their 3rd hit of the year, in the usual soft rock style but this one does have very nice production and instruments 

5

Johnny Nash

There Are More Questions Than Answers

His 5th Top 10 hit with his crowning chart glory still to come: this has lovely smooth vocals and is a pleasant track

5

Alice Cooper

Elected

This was inspired by the US 1972 presidential election: it's quite a raucously sung but a fairly enjoyable song overall

5

The O'Jays

Back Stabbers

1st hit for this US R&B group who had been going since 1958: it's quite a nice soul song with a bit of a punch to it

4

Chairmen Of The Board

Elmo James

This has quite an interesting lyrical story but overall I find it very similar to other tracks of theirs and not memorable

4

The Pearls

You Came, You Saw, You Conquered

A Ronettes cover here in exactly the same style: I assume the only purpose is to make it a UK hit unlike the original

1972 Group 13:

4053

14/10/1972

Harley Quinne

New Orleans

19

40-32-26-21-23-{19}-32-35->8

#4054

14/10/1972

Shag

Loop Di Love

4

46-26-20-7-5-{4}-7-15-19-29-35-35-37->13

14/10/1972

Chris Montez

Let's Dance {1972}

9

50-40-28-19-15-{9}-11-11-22-24-30-30-33-49->14

#4055

21/10/1972

Gilbert O'Sullivan

Clair

1

15-5-2-{1}-1-3-7-14-22-25-25-25-27-39->14

#4056

28/10/1972

Hot Chocolate

You'll Always Be A Friend

23

35-35-33-29-{23}-24-34-44->8

#4057

28/10/1972

The Strawbs

Lay Down

12

37-34-31-26-20-13-{12}-14-21-21-38R(2)-49->12

#4058

28/10/1972

Chuck Berry

My Ding-A-Ling

1

38-23-6-2-{1}-1-1-1-2-2-7-14-22-26-38-40-40->17

#4059

28/10/1972

Holland-Dozier Featuring Lamont Dozier

Why Can't We Be Lovers

29

39-38-{29}-33-36->5

#4060

04/11/1972

The Stylistics

I'm Stone In Love With You

9

31-19-10-{9}-10-15-26-38-38-39->10

04/11/1972

Jeff Beck

Hi-Ho Silver Lining {1972}

17

32-22-20-19-{17}-17-17-26-26-31-44-75R(508)-67-62-69->15

#4061

04/11/1972

Bobby Crush

Borsalino

37

{37}-41-40-41->4

#4062

04/11/1972

Elton John

Crocodile Rock

5

42-20-8-{5}-5-5-7-7-7-17-20-29-41-45->14

#4063

04/11/1972

Mac Davis

Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me

29

46-38-30-{29}-32-37->6

#4064

11/11/1972

Donny Osmond

Why

3

21-6-4-{3}-6-6-9-9-16-17-21-27-36-37-49-44-45-41-38-46->20

#4065

11/11/1972

The Osmonds

Crazy Horses

2

27-7-{2}-2-2-3-5-5-3-4-8-18-19-27-34-40-43-43->18

#4066

11/11/1972

The Jackson Five

Lookin' Through The Windows

9

40-21-13-{9}-10-12-20-20-24-32-41->11

America was an old album track to promote their Greatest Hits and very nice too doing surprisingly well but considering pretty much every Bridge Over Troubled Water track is brilliant and didnt get to be a hit bar 2 i was nonplussed about it on the whole 8/10. Donna was an instant amusing 50s pastiche as 10cc start their essential artrock era. Predictable records and song structures not a thing! Loved it at the time 9/10 these days.

In A Broken Dream a 1970 flop cashing in on Rod's hits but a worthy one. Great song and fractured vocal 9/10. Junior Campbell under rated outside Marmalade and Hallelujah Freedom has worn well 9/10.

All Fall Down is sweet and fairly obscure then and now 7/10. Goodbye To Love and that classic guitar solo is a perfect record and the Carpenters at their very best 10/10. Burning Love is Elvis' first gutsy single since Suspicious Minds and pretty decent 7/10.

I love Bread and i love Guitar Man. Wistful gentle plaintive beautiful with a great ending. 10/10. Johnny Nash's follow up is nice enough 6/10. Elected is a timeless vitriolic political commentary one of Vince's best 8/10.

Back stabbers is a classic early Philly soul song with socially aware lyrics and still rated. Number one for me then and now adore it and nicked nicely by the late Angie Stone 10/10. Elmo James has a nice 1930s gangster vibe to it and i like story songs and the band 8/10. The Pearls had already had chart success in other guises Sue and Sunny, Brotherhood of Man and would soon also get a lineup change as these things tended towards on the UK pop scene of the time and id never heard The Ronettes version until 2019! I like both but The Ronettes cant be beaten great song 8/10.

Some lovely laid back 70s hits

America is great with (obviously gorgeous vocals) as is Goodbye To Love

In A Broken Dream and Donna are gems I wasn’t too familiar with before.

Hallelujah Freedom is excellent, I love the gospel vibe too.

Guitar Man is great and typically laid back

Burning Love is an Elvis 70s highlight

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1