Jump to content

Featured Replies

11 minutes ago, Red Blooded Man said:

Rumour is that PL will start investigating the Glazers next.

I work in accounting and despite only having been an junior audit clerk at the start of my career, I am surprised that BDO (Manc City auditor) doesn't know anything and that it was "concealed" from them. That can only be true if City does maintain multiple set of books - one for the auditor, one for the owner, and one for their uncle.

And now any auditors would not touch Man City financial audit with 10m barge pole.

This is basically Enron-style scandal in the PL And for the PL.

Don't think the Premier League are investigating the Glazers, that just sounds like baseless rumours. They might be shitty owners, but pretty sure they played by the rules.

Burnham's comments today are not helpful and just go to prove all about sportswashing as a project. The bigger picture here too is the rules need to be serve to keep the rules in place, otherwise you'll have everyone creating shame sponsorships.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • 10 point deduction for Everton incoming then.

  • To be fair, that was probably for the best.

  • Brett-Butler
    Brett-Butler

    Oh dear, if they get fined, where will *checks notes* the United Arab Emirates find the money to pay it?

19 minutes ago, Rooney said:

Don't think the Premier League are investigating the Glazers, that just sounds like baseless rumours. They might be shitty owners, but pretty sure they played by the rules.

Burnham's comments today are not helpful and just go to prove all about sportswashing as a project. The bigger picture here too is the rules need to be serve to keep the rules in place, otherwise you'll have everyone creating shame sponsorships.

I agree considering Burnham's favourite club was penalized for far less.

22 hours ago, Red Blooded Man said:

I work in accounting and despite only having been an junior audit clerk at the start of my career, I am surprised that BDO (Manc City auditor) doesn't know anything and that it was "concealed" from them. That can only be true if City does maintain multiple set of books - one for the auditor, one for the owner, and one for their uncle.

And now any auditors would not touch Man City financial audit with 10m barge pole.

This is basically Enron-style scandal in the PL And for the PL.

As an aside, my brother once worked on the audit of a football team (not Man City, thank the Lord). He said that as part of his audit testing, he had to test the intangible assets, which for a football team is the contracts of the players that have been purchased for cash. His testing to see if their values should be impaired included speaking to the physio to see if there were any long-term injuries that would impede the player's future career.

Yes, think there'll be heads rolling at BDO after this (something I would not necessarily be sad about, for petty, personal reasons). They'd already been fined over a million for a poor audit of a different company, so this isn't going to help them in the long run.

  • Author

City seriously underestimate the appetite for a scandal in this country; do they honestly believe if they "get away with it" this just goes away?

I’m not sure that I would relish City’s titles being reallocated, just wouldn’t feel like the team it’s awarded to would feel like they’ve won it. And that’s coming from a Liverpool fan who’s club we’re getting 95 points + for 2-3 seasons and came 2nd.

I actually think reallocating the titles would be a better outcome than a punishment now (although ideally both would occur). Those titles weren't won fairly, just like Lance Armstrong's Tours de France so should be stripped. Not sure why it's even a debate really. The bigger question is the punishment for now because something needs to happen here too or else there would be no deterrent not to do something similar again.

I was thinking about the Lance Armstrong situation as well when the suggestion of stripping titles came up. Notably, Armstrong's Tour wins weren't reallocated - those seven years just have 'no winner' - but that was more down to the acceptance that everyone else was cheating as well so it wasn't fair to award it to someone else who was probably also doping. So quite a different situation!

I just think it’s hard to compare football and cycling for the obvious reasons.

Who do we think will leave Scamchester City if they are relegated? To me Phil Foden seems like the only player who has a genuine love for the club having come up through their academy and appearing as a mascot for them once. Think he is also a lifelong fan so he's one that I think would stay.

2 hours ago, Houdini said:

Who do we think will leave Scamchester City if they are relegated? To me Phil Foden seems like the only player who has a genuine love for the club having come up through their academy and appearing as a mascot for them once. Think he is also a lifelong fan so he's one that I think would stay.

A lot will depend on how far down the pyramid they go and what’s in contracts etc.

My view is most of the players will leave, not least because I don’t think they’ll be able to afford the players salaries in the lower league and I’m not sure the players would want to take a salary cut.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.