BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sports In Schools
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 24 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #1
How's the mumzy?
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Every now and then we get this debate that 'there isn't enough sport in schools' - whilst most schools do P.E, a lot aren't doing enough to match the amount of exercise the human body need to have every week.

I loved doing PE in primary, I was rubbish at it but it was fun, but high school made me lose all interest in it with shouty teachers and doing activities that I was clearly awful in. I feel like if you want to get students interested in sport, you need to do more of it in primary and then make it more 'inclusive' so to speak in secondary.

What did/do you feel about sports in schools and do you have any ideas to make it more prominent in the curriculum? (or does it need to be?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jul 24 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #2
The sports fanatic
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

They should give students a choice to do the sport that they want to do for that term.

Sports at primary school wasn't great in the winter as all we did was dance..

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 25 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

P.E. was bad but Games was good.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jul 25 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I didnít mind PE until secondary school. I didnít mind participating in it but I hated the way other kids got when you were shit at football or something. It used to make it less enjoyable for me.

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Jul 25 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #5
the elusive Q.
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I think it's probably important to have it there at least as an option, but the approach could be so much better. I will say that at my secondary school, we did quite a nice variety of different sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball, handball, dodgeball, tag rugby, maybe some others) which I liked because that way if you hated one week, you may not have hated the next week.

I think it would potentially be good (and I don't know how it is in the UK) if P.E. was accompanied by some sort of health & nutrition classes, I don't think we ever really had much focus on anything like that at my schools. Basically to go hand-in-hand with the practical side of it and maybe get more people interested in the actual physical P.E. I totally get why so many people hate P.E. lmao, personally I enjoyed it sometimes, depending on what we were doing and if I was in a good mood.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 25 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #6
How's the mumzy?
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Jul 25 2018, 07:02 PM) *
I think it would potentially be good (and I don't know how it is in the UK) if P.E. was accompanied by some sort of health & nutrition classes, I don't think we ever really had much focus on anything like that at my schools. Basically to go hand-in-hand with the practical side of it and maybe get more people interested in the actual physical P.E. I totally get why so many people hate P.E. lmao, personally I enjoyed it sometimes, depending on what we were doing and if I was in a good mood.

The closest we got to health & nutrition was our Year 8 PE teacher keeping us 5 minutes into break ranting about how we needed to eat breakfast :') That would be a good idea though, it would give people like me who clearly aren't going to become Olympians a part of PE they can get involved with/be 'good' at.

We did have a few assemblies on that sort of stuff in primary school (and a bit in GCSE Science) but completely unrelated to PE/amount of exercise, just a general health sort of thing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2018 - 12:05 AM