August 24Aug 24 1 hour ago, matto said:That would be fun, has something like that been done before? I don't remember anymoreI think so but was probably 'send any entry again' rather than just underappreciated flops. Obviously some countries who do well every single month would only have about four entries to choose from 🤣
August 24Aug 24 We've had 4 spinoffs based on re-sending old entries, 2 editions of 'Your Best of' which was unrestricted (I sent a DNQ to one of them x), one 'Your Best of - Rejects' which was DNQs only and 'Andra Chansen' where you could send a past entry from anyone, not just yourself (and that was restricted to lower finishing finalists and DNQs iirc). Has been a while since we did one of them so wouldn't be opposed to a new one if someone wants to host x (I saw Pavi posted in the spinoff forum about something along these lines as well).
August 24Aug 24 Author Ah yes, I remember being in Andra Chansen once and re-entering something from jakewild's country that I'm afraid to butcher the spelling of x
August 25Aug 25 Author BJSC 21: Elegeion - ScarsDNQ - 20th (out of 26) in the semiFrom the 2005 album The Last Moment (which I haven't heard, I think this is the only Elegeion song I've heard), this is another piano + vocal song, although this one also has some rather lovely strings. I actually didn't remember this song at all, except that it's piano-led. Re-listening to it now, it's a nice enough song but very-very sombre and sad. "Scars on my skin, scars on my soul", she sings.I'm assuming this was another entry that was more of an impulse entry, having been a brand new discovery for me. By no means would I count it as one of my favourite entries of ours (like I said, I didn't even remember it almost at all), but it's... nice? I wish I had better words to say about it but at this point in time it's just sort of okay for me. A pretty and rather elegant song but clearly hasn't left much of a lasting impression on me overall.Our top pointer in that contest was UnoShake (another country I don't remember by name!) with OneRepublic - All The Right Moves, which placed 20th.
August 25Aug 25 Author BJSC 22: The Big Pink - DominosDNQ - 14th (out of 22) in the semiNow for something completely different! There is an official video for this song but it's slightly shorter than the full version. From the 2009 album A Brief History of Love, this is actually kind of a major banger! It's quite anthemic and very infectious and I'm also pretty sure it's one of the better known entries of ours. I remember it was in some advertisement on TV, I can see why. That melody just gets in your (my) head and the beat is sick too. Almost like sonic manipulation, hehehe...Perhaps this one was also penalised by some for being well-known. It also doesn't really feel like a 'Deandria entry' (whatever that really means) but I like the song, it's fun and very infectious like I said. It's all about that hook.Our top points in that contest went to Elëdan with Ólafur Arnalds - Ljósið, which placed a healthy 7th.
August 25Aug 25 Author BJSC 46: Emilia - TeardropsDNQ - 18th (out of 28) in the semi(unavailable on Spotify)My comeback entry after my first long break from the contest, this is... not one of my favourite entries. It's from Swedish pop singer Emilia's 2009 album My World. As a kid I listened to a few Emilia songs that I had on a CD, I quite like her voice, and this song has quite a nice melody and feel, but it's not particularly my thing anymore I can't imagine myself entering this now, it's not particularly memorable and I never find myself wanting to listen to it. It's a nice enough tune but I've mostly forgotten about it. Still, I can stand by it if that's what I wanted to enter at the time. I'm sure I liked it more back then.Who knows, maybe someone can make a nice discovery out of it here at least, which would still be nice. It didn't have a completely disastrous result, despite being a DNQ. Our top points in that contest went to Altyr Muunilinst with Charlotte Qvale - The Beginning of the End, which placed a nice 6th, the highest thus far in fact.
August 27Aug 27 Author BJSC 47: Kate Havnevik - Unlike MeDNQ - 21st (out of 26) in the semi(Spotify version is slightly longer)From the 2006 album Melankton, I always really liked this song. It's not one I think about or listen to particularly often but I always really enjoy the artistry and the atmosphere of the song when I do. Sonically I would probably compare it the most to Halou's 'Political' out of our early entries, they both have an atmospheric, gentle, ethereal feel. I like her voice and singing and the atmospheric, slightly melancholic production/instrumentation. I do wonder if this one would do a bit better nowadays 🥲 21st out of 26 in the semi seems harsh for this beauty.Our top points in that contest went to Fljótavík with Halls - White Chalk, which placed 18th.
August 27Aug 27 Author BJSC 48: Stars - Counting Stars On The CeilingDNQ - 18th (out of 26) in the semi"When we got home, we were alone. We fell in love with that feeling" ❤️Yet another DNQ 🥲 The opening track from the 2001 album Nightsongs, I always tend to forget I sent this song to BJSC once upon a time! I rarely even listen to this, or other Stars songs nowadays, but I did listen to them quite frequently back then. They had some really nice songs. This one in particular is a very cool electronic song (as opposed to some of their more indie-pop songs), quite trippy in its sound, it does feel like it comes from an album called Nightsongs lol.Our top points in that contest were given to Zechonia, who sent Tall Dark Friend - Corridors, coming 25th (out of 31, so quite low sadly).
August 29Aug 29 Author BJSC 50: Télépopmusik - Breathe20th (out of 30)(There is an official music video on YouTube but it shortens the song by more than a minute, I entered the full version as far as I remember)From the 2001 album Genetic World. Fr*nch electronic act Télépopmusik are probably relatively well-known in the electronica world, and this is definitely not one of our more obscure entries. In fact, at this moment it has 130,479,797 listens on Spotify 😯 Like the entry before this one, it's another trippy electronic track from 2001, with hypnotic sounds and loops and the sensual vocals of Angela McCluskey. I can imagine this being played in a club when people are tired and starting to come down from all the dancing etc. xoFor me it's definitely a striking, hypnotic kind of electronica track, with the ~mysterious~ vocals often repeating "Another day / Just believe".Our top points in that contest went to Persephonia with SOHN - The Wheel, which came 19th - one placement above Deandria! (And apparently @Bror gave us a strong 10 points for this song too, which was his second place, as we were using the 12-point system in the final)
September 1Sep 1 Author BJSC 55: Anneli Drecker - You Don't Have To ChangeDNQ - 26th (out of 26) in the semiAfter a break of a few contests, Deandria came back with this electronic song from the 2005 album Frolic, and ended up last in the semi 🥲 To be real, I think I was relatively isolated at that time and my mind was kind of elsewhere (even more than now maybe), so the things I liked and was drawn to just didn't match up with the mainstream, or with Buzzjack. I think this is all still true to a certain degree, but I think maybe now I'm able to gauge a little better what might do well, or at least acceptably. I think, being honest, back then I would just enter songs very impulsively, just a song I liked at the time, without a care in the world about success or whether others would respond. I was very disconnected. Even so, I'm not sure this song would do quite so poorly nowadays.That being said, I think this is a really lovely and cool-sounding song. I like the production, I like Anneli's voice and since then I've had the pleasure of going through all her albums and enjoying them a lot. Some of her music is more electronic (such as this song), and some is more lush, symphonic and orchestral.One half of Röyksopp had a hand in producing this song. Anneli Drecker also sang on a few Röyksopp songs, including 'Sparks' from Melody A.M. and 'Vision One' from Junior, off the top of my head. I sense a pattern xoOur top points in that contest went to Utopia with Bibio - À tout à l'heure, which came 12th. (I should re-listen to all these songs that got my top points sometime as I don't remember many of them!)
September 1Sep 1 Author BJSC 77: Sutrastore - Zero PointDNQ - 35th (out of 35) in the semiFrom the 2012 album Open Doorway, this song was our second semi last placer after a return in a row, oh no! At least it wasn't a zero pointer 😉I actually really like this song! I would describe it as very trippy, with very intricate, interesting and beautiful production. I don't really know many songs off the top of my head that capture this kind of atmosphere with this kind of production...? But it didn't connect here I guess. I actually like the whole album this is on.Again, I was probably quite disconnected, and I guess after a rather long break I just didn't really know what to enter. I probably wanted something interesting and unusual, and I definitely find this song to be both of those things - what a strange atmosphere! - but yeah, sadly it didn't connect. Personally I enjoy the slightly moody 'night-time' atmosphere that this song conveys.Our top points in that contest went to Jukianië, who sent RAYE - Bet U Wish, placing 35th (out of 42 - I probably should've added all the 'out of ...' in these end bits lol).
September 1Sep 1 Author BJSC 78: LOLAWOLF - Calm DownDNQ - 22nd (out of 33) in the semiThe title track from the 2014 album Calm Down. Looking back, this was probably the period in my musical journey where I was discovering more 'cool' music a lot - this probably started with me discovering FKA twigs - and my mind opened up to different styles and genres that I had never really explored before. Or even heard of in some cases - I don't think I had heard of the term 'alternative rnb' until about that time (2015 or so).I do think this is one of my 'cooler' entries - just has more attitude and vibe. Re-listening now, I'm enjoying the unpredictability of the song, the way the drumbeats and other sounds do all sorts of unexpected things. Sadly it was another DNQ, but it was pretty close - the second highest of the DNQs in that semi. Our top points in that contest went to N DNTN with Hannah Diamond - Every Night, which placed 9th out of 41.
September 2Sep 2 On 01/09/2026 at 21:11, matto said:BJSC 77: Sutrastore - Zero PointDNQ - 35th (out of 35) in the semiFrom the 2012 album Open Doorway, this song was our second semi last placer after a return in a row, oh no! At least it wasn't a zero pointer 😉I actually really like this song! I would describe it as very trippy, with very intricate, interesting and beautiful production. I don't really know many songs off the top of my head that capture this kind of atmosphere with this kind of production...? But it didn't connect here I guess. I actually like the whole album this is on.Again, I was probably quite disconnected, and I guess after a rather long break I just didn't really know what to enter. I probably wanted something interesting and unusual, and I definitely find this song to be both of those things - what a strange atmosphere! - but yeah, sadly it didn't connect. Personally I enjoy the slightly moody 'night-time' atmosphere that this song conveys.Our top points in that contest went to Jukianië, who sent RAYE - Bet U Wish, placing 35th (out of 42 - I probably should've added all the 'out of ...' in these end bits lol).I had a listen to this one randomly as I was intrigued by it coming last and it’s a beautiful track. 😢
September 2Sep 2 Oh my at that reminder of 'Bet U Wish', BuzzJack ahead of the curve with discovering RAYE before she broke through into the mainstream.I remember loving 'Calm Down' at the time and it's held up well now, robbed. Still shook that the lead singer is Zoë Kravitz as I'd completely forgotten that fact from the time, probably as I didn't know who she was back then.'Unfinished Sympathy' is of course a classic from the years before I entered
September 2Sep 2 BJSC 20: Pogo - Expialidocious⭐️⭐️⭐️Ok picking up where I left off... and I started with this very peculiar entry which I'd never come across before! It's made me want to find an entry that reuses clips from a famous movie and see how it sounds haha. Maybe I'll find one that exists for another movie one day! Musically it's very experimental and whimsical, with a fun beat. I can see the appeal and I'd likely give it points!BJSC 21: Elegeion - Scars⭐️Unfortunately for me this song did nothing at all. The singer has a nice singing voice but the melody of the song just doesn't interest me so I wouldn't be the target audience but I appreciate you trying something different at the time. I imagine I may come across other entries like this to come... perhaps I'll enjoy them more! BJSC 22: The Big Pink - Dominos⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Now this is a song that was very familiar to me from the time. I thought it was a minor UK hit but it was most likely to have been used in an advert. I know at the time I owned some bootleg CD's and this song was on one of them with other music from the time. It does feel like a song that was bigger than it was. Definitely the most commercial Deandria hit to date!BJSC 46: Emilia - Teardrops⭐️⭐️⭐️Ok this was a nice discovery for me. I like the pace and the melody and the key change to. I can't be sure if it's the same Emilia from the 90s hit Big Big World but if it is it's a very different sound for her. I think this is the most pop entry I've heard by Deandria so far, very different for them and I respect the desire to come back with an artist you liked at the time. Was nice.BJSC 47: Kate Havnevik - Unlike Me⭐️⭐️Ok this actually isn't as bad as the two stars suggests, but it was missing something for me. I enjoyed the eerie, mysterious production but then it didn't go to the place I was expecting it to and it left me feeling empty or unfulfilled somewhat. I was hoping for more but I do appreciate the return to what has been tipped the Deandria signature sound. BJSC 48: Stars - Counting Stars On The Ceiling⭐️⭐️⭐️This entry immediately reminded me of a former Zanmatony DNQ by Riohv called Green Roomalthough that was fully instrumental and probably had less going on in it than yours did. I think that it sounds fine and it's not surprising that we both didn't get a qualifier with an entry like this but at least we tried.BJSC 50: Télépopmusik - Breathe⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Oh my. It's not that I class this as a personal favourite in any way, but it's got regular plays over many years from my chillout playlist, and at the time of writing this review it has been scrobbled 113 times! I couldn't not give this a five star review for being one of my go to songs, so what a surprise to find it here! ❤️
September 3Sep 3 Author 7 hours ago, awardinary said:BJSC 46: Emilia - Teardrops⭐️⭐️⭐️Ok this was a nice discovery for me. I like the pace and the melody and the key change to. I can't be sure if it's the same Emilia from the 90s hit Big Big World but if it is it's a very different sound for her. I think this is the most pop entry I've heard by Deandria so far, very different for them and I respect the desire to come back with an artist you liked at the time. Was nice.Yes, it's the same Emilia!
September 4Sep 4 Author BJSC 79: Daya - Sit Still, Look Pretty15th (out of 42)On Daya's 2016 album of the same name, when I entered it in 2015 the album hadn't been released yet and it was just on her self-titled EP. At this moment it has nearly 700 million streams on Spotify 😯Sometimes I can hardly believe I entered this once - I guess I was slightly enamoured by the melody (particularly the chorus) at the time, but overall it is now probably one of my least favourite entries 🥲 I do like a good pop song too, and this is rather cute and catchy, but also a little annoying to me now. Also, this entry says very little about my tastes and, as much as I like to experiment, it doesn't feel like a 'Deandria entry' whatsoever and kind of stands out in a weird way among our entries 😆Still, it placed 15th in the final which is among our better results (I do have several top 10s too though xo).Our top points in that contest went to Quintessa with Avec Sans - Resonate, achieving 4th place out of 42 - the highest so far!
September 4Sep 4 Author BJSC 80: Ms. Henrik - Slow DancingDNQ - 26th (out of 32) in the semi@Roba. likes this one 😁I... don't really know what to think of this one 🥲 Re-listening to it now it's so weird because I haven't heard this song in absolutely ages. I also don't recall at all how I found it at the time, might have been just a random YouTube suggestion or something. It seems to be a standalone song and not on any album. I would call it a catchy and rather cute and endearing electropop song. I could see it being played at Pride! 🌈The melody in the chorus sure can get in your head, I can actually see why I was enamoured by it at the time, although I probably wouldn't enter it now. Still, it's interesting to see that once upon a time I entered something like this haha.What's also interesting is that Pupok also sent a song called 'Slow Dancing' to that edition! I remember us having a laugh about it at the time. Pupok was in the opposite semi and strangely enough, we both came 26th in our semi! 😯Our top points in that contest went to Terra Avium, who sent Owsey, Jernalism and Resotone with 'I've Been Secretly Falling Apart', achieving 3rd place (out of 41), which is the highest of these so far! Deandria later recycled Owsey & Resotone for a spin-off with 'Broke My Promise & Stared To The Sea'.
September 4Sep 4 'Slow Dancing' *. T'was catchy at the time. 'Sit Still, Look Pretty' is nice too but rather unlike you as you said!
Create an account or sign in to comment