Jump to content

Featured Replies

I thought this was a really strong selection and I've been struggling to order them, so in the end I've decided to separate them by how well I think the choice suits the theme Calum requested.

01 Adele - Can I Get It - great pick tbh, I think this would have worked really well as a single and would have stood out as something different in her catalogue.

02 Robyn - Time Machine - Not my favourite album track of hers but I do think it's a good choice for this category as the huge chorus was made to be a single, I wonder if Max Martin would have expected it to be one

03 Leona Lewis - Outta My Head - This has definitely dated a bit but a really strong choice for a track that was commercial and would have showcased a different style from her

04 Agnes - Loaded - Strong choice! I didn't know this one but definitely thought it had a commercial edge, thought the chorus soared.

05 Kate Bush - Reaching Out - I originally had this a bit lower but I've moved it up, on reflection I think the strings and chorus make for something that would have worked as a single from the era.

06 Marina - Teen Idle - Strong choice, I definitely used to want this to be a single back when the album was released.

07 Zara Larsson - Blue Moon - Probably my favourite of the Zara choices to date, can see why it would work as a single.

08 Jessie Ware - The Kill - I absolutely love this as a song but I'm marking it down because I think it was a promotional single of sorts? I remember it being promoted and sent out at the time with the club mix and everything... It even has an official video! I feel like it pushes the boundary too much of what was intended here but I shall no doubt be fully back on board next round!

09 Dido - Mary's In India - I quite like this but I don't think it works very well for the theme unfortunately - I'd have rather seen something like See The Sun, I always thought that was the single that should have been from Life For Rent.

10 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights - I don't really like this one to be honest, I think there were stronger choices from this album like If You Go and that's before considering any other albums.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

Posted Images

One person’s potential single is another person’s filler. While Leona fans almost universally cried out for Outta My Head as a single, I don’t think other fanbases among the 30 acts left were quite as vocal about the singles that should be released so it can be hard to identify the best choice on paper for this round.

Also I can only speak for myself but I wouldn’t want to use a song in Pop Factor that I don’t personally love, even if it means going out on that song. So I suspect personal taste weighs heavy on some of these choices that may not appear to fit the theme. I feel for Dido’s mentor because she picked her singles so well. See The Sun is ok too but definitely not as strong as the singles that were picked, so it does become very difficult.

Edited by gooddelta

45 minutes ago, gooddelta said:

One person’s potential single is another person’s filler. While Leona fans almost universally cried out for Outta My Head as a single, I don’t think other fanbases among the 30 acts left were quite as vocal about the singles that should be released so it can be hard to identify the best choice on paper for this round.

Also I can only speak for myself but I wouldn’t want to use a song in Pop Factor that I don’t personally love, even if it means going out on that song. So I suspect personal taste weighs heavy on some of these choices that may not appear to fit the theme. I feel for Dido’s mentor because she picked her singles so well. See The Sun is ok too but definitely not as strong as the singles that were picked, so it does become very difficult.

Yeah I think Dido kind of had to save “Take My Hand” in case there was a round like this really.

I'd say 'Don't Think Of Me' from No Angel definitely could have been a single and may well have taken Dido through this round.

However I think she was always likely to struggle at some point. Two huge albums, the second of which - as I see it - sold mostly off the back of the album before and 'White Flag' as the lead single, and then three albums which went mainly under the radar. Though I haven't listened to the playlists yet, so I'll reserve judgement on 'Mary's In India' just now.

30 minutes ago, jimwatts said:

I'd say 'Don't Think Of Me' from No Angel definitely could have been a single and may well have taken Dido through this round.

However I think she was always likely to struggle at some point. Two huge albums, the second of which - as I see it - sold mostly off the back of the album before and 'White Flag' as the lead single, and then three albums which went mainly under the radar. Though I haven't listened to the playlists yet, so I'll reserve judgement on 'Mary's In India' just now.

'Don't Think Of Me' is sublime and absolutely what would have saved her this round!

1 Jessie Ware - The Kill: gorgeous and dreamy

2 Kate Bush - Reaching Out: fragile and pleading and full of colour

3 Robyn - Time Machine: this bubbles away beautifully

4 MARINA - Teen Idle: some of the lyrics are startling but the track builds really well

5 Agnes - Loaded: has a slightly retro feel that I like

6 Adele - Can I Get It: it’s very boppy but I don’t get much heart from it

7 Dido - Mary’s in India: the storytelling is good but it doesn’t have enough musical oomph, whereas many of her songs do

8 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights: I can’t get over the chorus sounding like “Viva La Vida” but it’s OK

9 Leona Lewis - Outta My Head: I think it’s pretty standard and I’m not getting the fuss

10 Zara Larsson - Blue Moon: soulless for me

1 hour ago, Julian_ said:

1 Jessie Ware - The Kill: gorgeous and dreamy

2 Kate Bush - Reaching Out: fragile and pleading and full of colour

3 Robyn - Time Machine: this bubbles away beautifully

4 MARINA - Teen Idle: some of the lyrics are startling but the track builds really well

5 Agnes - Loaded: has a slightly retro feel that I like

6 Adele - Can I Get It: it’s very boppy but I don’t get much heart from it

7 Dido - Mary’s in India: the storytelling is good but it doesn’t have enough musical oomph, whereas many of her songs do

8 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights: I can’t get over the chorus sounding like “Viva La Vida” but it’s OK

9 Leona Lewis - Outta My Head: I think it’s pretty standard and I’m not getting the fuss

10 Zara Larsson - Blue Moon: soulless for me

Re the Sophie comment. Wouldn’t the chorus to ‘Viva La Vidal’ technically sound like ‘New York City Lights’ as New York City Lights was released in 2007 and Viva La Vida released in 2008?

Apologies, I’m being nitpicky. 😂

6 minutes ago, Paddington James said:

Re the Sophie comment. Wouldn’t the chorus to ‘Viva La Vidal’ technically sound like ‘New York City Lights’ as New York City Lights was released in 2007 and Viva La Vida released in 2008?

Apologies, I’m being nitpicky. 😂

True - I wasn’t suggesting Sophie was copying it!

And now it’s time for the girls!

FAVE

10 Leona Lewis - Outta My Head

09 Robyn - Time Machine

08 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights

07 Zara Larsson - Blue Moon

06 Agnes - Loaded

05 Adele - Can I Get It

04 MARINA - Teen Idle

03 Kate Bush - Reaching Out

02 Jessie Ware - The Kill

01 Dido - Mary’s in India

LEAST FAVE

Leona was always going to be my #1 realistically… (even if I would’ve preferred Take A Bow!)

Robyn and Sophie were both wonderful new discoveries!

Interestingly, unless I’m mistaken, I’ve ranked Adele 6th in every round so far - she’s nothing if consistent(ly average) kink

Kate, Jessie and especially Dido just weren’t for me!

image.png

01 Agnes - Loaded fab-u-lous discovery. heart The production, the vocals, the chorus - YES. Definitely getting You Oughta Know vibes from that chorus!

02 MARINA - Teen Idle one of the standouts from Electra Heart. The fact this was not even a promo single is craziness. Love the lyrics to this one.

03 Leona Lewis - Outta My Head very smart choice Team LeLe. kink A glorious up-tempo that takes me right back to 2009. heart

04 Robyn - Time Machine really enjoyed this one by Robyn. Another song where the production really elevates it.

05 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights this was another fun, breezy number by Sophie.

06 Kate Bush - Reaching Out not my favourite song of this round but the vocal performance is a slay!

07 Jessie Ware - The Kill much prefer this to her previous choice.
08 Zara Larsson - Blue Moon oops will Zara ever climb my rankings? lol. Another good choice, just struggles to compete with the songs above.

09 Dido - Mary’s in India ahh! I feel for Dido's mentor because this isn't a bad song by any means but maybe far too lowkey to be played up against all these Buzzjack darlings? Idk. Anyway, very pleasant!

10 Adele - Can I Get It really not my thing (especially that whistly chorus eww) but I can appreciate the diversity Adele is showing at least. lol

  1. Marina - Teen Idle

  2. Leona Lewis - Outta My Head

  3. Zara Larsson - Blue Moon

  4. Jessie Ware - The Kill

  5. Kate Bush - Reaching Out

  6. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights

  7. Adele - Can I Get It

  8. Agnes - Loaded

  9. Dido - Mary’s in India

  10. Robyn - Time Machine

Teen Idle and Outta My Head are two of my all time favourite songs so clear top 2 for me!

Great Zara song. Loving this Jessie one too completely forgot it existed.

Very nice discovery from Kate great song.

Sophie, Adele and Agnes all really good too

Dido and Robyn weakest for me but just against such strong competition. Still both good!

31 minutes ago, awardinary said:

I think I'm going to be alright this week...

Is that you confirming you’re a solo female? 👀

4 minutes ago, Scene said:

Is that you confirming you’re a solo female? 👀

What is this tinder questionnaire?

3 hours ago, awardinary said:

I think I'm going to be alright this week...

Will post my votes shortly.

Really? I had you down as Dido...

1 Leona Lewis - Outta My Head (Favourite)

2 MARINA - Teen Idle

3 Agnes - Loaded

4 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights

5 Robyn - Time Machine

6 Adele - Can I Get It

7 Jessie Ware - The Kill

8 Zara Larsson - Blue Moon

9 Kate Bush - Reaching Out

10 Dido - Mary’s in India

  1. MARINA - Teen Idle

  2. Robyn - Time Machine

  3. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights

  4. Jessie Ware - The Kill

  5. Kate Bush - Reaching Out

  6. Dido - Mary’s in India

  7. Zara Larsson - Blue Moon

  8. Agnes - Loaded

  9. Adele - Can I Get It

  10. Leona Lewis - Outta My Head

one slight bias as Teen Idle is one of my biggest Marina faves but everything else was new to me, very much liked Robyn's turn here.

  1. Zara Larsson - Blue Moon

  2. MARINA - Teen Idle

  3. Jessie Ware - The Kill

  4. Kate Bush - Reaching Out

  5. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights

  6. Dido - Mary’s in India

  7. Adele - Can I Get It

  8. Agnes - Loaded

  9. Leona Lewis - Outta My Head

  10. Robyn - Time Machine

  • Author
  1. MARINA - Teen Idle

  2. Kate Bush - Reaching Out

  3. Zara Larsson - Blue Moon

  4. Agnes - Loaded

  5. Leona Lewis - Outta My Head

  6. Jessie Ware - The Kill

  7. Robyn - Time Machine

  8. Adele - Can I Get It

  9. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - New York City Lights

  10. Dido - Mary's in India

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.